• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Why is Faction Gear such a Problem?

• Thread starter Elmer Fudd
  • Start date
  • Watchers 4
M

Mogluk

I think the largest problem, is the by far large advantage taht is given by taht gear... Now I am not saying what those in luna did was cool in any way...

..but if we meet out in the field one on one who is going to win? there is no chance for us non faction, especially when you start running in pairs and teams...

..so i do't hate you for doing it I a really disappointed in EA taht they supplied such an imbalance to a non-consenual shard. In some ways worse than uber dragons

Tiberius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I give this thread 4 stars on WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!! Scale:next:

B

Bruin

Did something happen?

I could give you a long winded story about why I don't like faction items. But it all comes down to this.

I like skill vs skill pvp. If you beat me in pvp because you're a better pvp'er than I, then hats off to you.

I dislike item vs item pvp. Faction items are just another one of those things that keep driving this game into item vs item pvp. However more the fact that the items aren't usable by everyone, so it becomes item vs you don't have the items pvp.

And please don't give me the story that "well you can join factions too!" I want to play this game how I want to play this game. I don't want to have to be a faction stealth ninja tamer in order to compete. If this is what we all have to do, why not just rename the damn game faction stealth ninja tamer online?

There are those people who play MMORPGs and pick their character, thief, mage, archer, warrior, because they like to play that type of template.

There are those people who play MMORPGs and pick their character based on the FotM (Flavor of the Month). Whichever template kicks the most butt today, they train up to be that template, and when the devs change something next month and there's a new uuber template, everyone rushes and trains up to be that.

I like many people like to do what I like to do, not what is forced down on me, so I don't want to become a FotM toon just to enjoy this game.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Faction should be a choice, not a must for PvP'ers.

Crafted items should be the most powerful items, I don't see why faction need to have better gear than non faction.

I can say, the need for faction items destroyed TDO. I choose to split up the guild to please the PvP'ers, it ended up killing my guild.

My guild was never meant to be a faction guild, but my members did not have a chance vs the faction players. As I both do have crafters and young PvP'ers in the guild, I was not able to join the whole guild to faction.

If players enjoy faction and have fun with it, it's fine, but forcing all to join faction is very wrong.

Sir Morder

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ahh c'mon, why wouldn't anyone wanna go out and farm endless amounts of silver only to A) get killed while farming silver ( adding even more endless time farming silver ) and B) go out in faction gear only to die to a gank and lose gear, then have to buy gear back for a stupid amount of gold. Then go out and die to a gank, rinse repeat. Or there's the other choice i almost forgot about. Sit in your house and log into boards and cry about how there's nobody to fight, or, you can't kill me unless you have 18 million people on to help. Ya sure certainly sounds like fun. These items really helped out siege's pvp population tons.
Yes, this is meant to be a sarcastic post.

C

Calibretto

Or you go out of your way to make sure people get thier items sold back to them. Sometimes even giving them back for free. Only to get ganked twice in a week and lose two full suits. And no one can find any of the pieces.

Soooooooooooo.

You gotta spend hours on end staring at a screen farming silver.

No thanks.

C

Calyip

I played on production shards for about 9 months or so before coming over here, and these are the biggest problems I see that faction arties cause here on SP:

-They were made with balance for production shards in mind, due to the high levels of duping there. Here on SP, they actually unbalance things. They were intended to offset the massive amounts of duped event items, ornys, val hammers that were making mage weaps, etc.

-The crystaline ring. This has allowed mages, that were already very overpowered with the overstacking DCI to become more powerful. Look at some of the templates being run....necro scribe mage. Ninja bushido mage. etc. To balance this, I think tactics should no longer be a requirement to use special moves. It would bring some luster back to special moves for mages.

-Bring back the cursed artifacts. This is the simplest, and most logical fix. You can say faction gear is not overpowered, but as a newbie on this shard I have about 83 swords and 81 archery, with tactics and bushido about the same level. I grabbed some nice jewelry out of the house I was given and fought my buddy over here who is a 120ed out parry/swordsman. I used cursed arties, tokunos, etc, and he used GM gear and low end weap/jewelry. I had him low faster than he got touch me. We need to face the fact that UO has become item based, stop fighting it, and try to embrace it.

S

Scopulus Falco

Not real sure what players who like faction gear so much dont just go play on Prodo shard. not much of a Diff,yes you can lose you stuff but its got you name all over it.(leaves a funny smell on it)

M

Mogluk

here is my final two cents.....I think faction items were bad....it creates a steeper jump between PvP's (don't even get me started on thos darn spellbooks) so I choose to not participate with factions on principle now..... luckily we have a small group of peopel who want to fight on a more equal basis... its about fun more than stuff.....

I chose skill over stuff......if I wanted stuff I would be running a mage-tamer.....

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
The thing that turned me off of the faction items is the sense of entitlement. Yes, the items have your name on them. No one else can use them. After you lose them, they are no longer yours. Beg, plead, threaten retaliation... *shakes head* Does not matter. To the victor goes the spoils. What they do with those items is up to them. It matters not if it is a GM suit of armor or a faction artifact.

I have heard all of the risk vs reward arguments. Faction players being rewarded, etc. Hogwash. The system has been tried and found wanting here on Siege.

Those of you that enjoy the faction system as it is, carry on. Have fun with it. I enjoyed factions as buggy as it was. That is no longer the case. I can only speak for myself. The timers, the artifacts, and a whole new set of bugs...

The current war is the most exciting thing that has happened on Siege in ages. It may well draw me out of the old Siege folks home and back out on to the field...

Critical Gaming

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd like to point out that there was always a large gap gearwise even before faction arties. The same people who are running good suits now are the same people that were doing it 2 years ago, even BEFORE cursed arties.

I see it as beneficial, due to faction artifacts being much easier to obtain than an entire suit of runic/ml arties/specific jewels. But we have the same old vets, set in their ways, striving for a pre-aos siege where everyone fights in a GM made suit. Thats been over for at least 6 years.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I'd like to point out that there was always a large gap gearwise even before faction arties. The same people who are running good suits now are the same people that were doing it 2 years ago, even BEFORE cursed arties.

I see it as beneficial, due to faction artifacts being much easier to obtain than an entire suit of runic/ml arties/specific jewels. But we have the same old vets, set in their ways, striving for a pre-aos siege where everyone fights in a GM made suit. Thats been over for at least 6 years.
Yes. Some will always have better gear. Yet when they lose, even if it is rare, how does that benefit the victor? A buy back? No thanks.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
People continually complain that a player with faction gear is too powerful. If that were the case, answer me this...why do I see so much faction gear being sold back to it's original owner...by the people who killed them?

Guess they weren't so uber...huh?...la

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
The gear is not my problem. My issue is there is little or no incentive to battle for it. It is just not Siege.

C

Calyip

People continually complain that a player with faction gear is too powerful. If that were the case, answer me this...why do I see so much faction gear being sold back to it's original owner...by the people who killed them?

From wh7at I've seen at Luna: Dismounting. A dismounter, mage, and bokuto char can kill any character in seconds. Dismount, mana vamp, nerve strike, death strike, as the mage dumps.

S

Scopulus Falco

Who is selling it back?.....another factioner

Mook Chessy

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Because I'm running out of lockdowns.

Quick note on the type of guy we have here...

Cried for months about faction gear...
Fought in non faction guild war for 3 hours, then quit

After he quit the war he started to loot, how sad is that!

We had well over 5 hours of battle without looting, save pots, aids, petals and arrows/bolts, this tool quits the war and goes gray looting my suit.

I guess it dawned on him what a gutless move it was because he soon returned it.

Go ahead Evermore let me see you justify your actions...

I guess the whole one bad apple thing applies here!

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Put him on the War group's KOS list. Hell for that matter, put him on the shard KOS list. It's actually pretty easy. If you can kill him, do it. Take a count or two or twelve. He won't change, but if he gets slaughtered everytime he shows up around the group. Take im out. I'm sure eventually he will either change his play style, or will stay away from the group knowing he will probably be killed and dry looted.

This is what makes Siege so nice. He can't hide in the guardzone the whole time if he wants to play that way...la

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Not in all cases...la

M

MoonglowMerchant

Quick note on the type of guy we have here...

Cried for months about faction gear...
Fought in non faction guild war for 3 hours, then quit

After he quit the war he started to loot, how sad is that!

We had well over 5 hours of battle without looting, save pots, aids, petals and arrows/bolts, this tool quits the war and goes gray looting my suit.

I guess it dawned on him what a gutless move it was because he soon returned it.

Go ahead Evermore let me see you justify your actions...

I guess the whole one bad apple thing applies here!
Actually, I removed my tamer from the war since he was playing with 400 skill points and put my necro mage in the war since he could use all 720.

That first night of the war, I had a hard time adjusting to killing people and not looting them. It seemed so "Trammel" to me. Now that we are looting regs and bandies and pots it is a lot more fun. I don't mind leaving the armor and jewels as long as we can loot enough to take people out of the fight.

Sorry about looting those three pieces the first night. I was PO'ed that you guys dry looted Verum although, like me, you did give the stuff back.

M

MoonglowMerchant

Put him on the War group's KOS list. Hell for that matter, put him on the shard KOS list. It's actually pretty easy. If you can kill him, do it. Take a count or two or twelve. He won't change, but if he gets slaughtered everytime he shows up around the group. Take im out. I'm sure eventually he will either change his play style, or will stay away from the group knowing he will probably be killed and dry looted.

This is what makes Siege so nice. He can't hide in the guardzone the whole time if he wants to play that way...la
Don't believe everything you read. I'm in the war, although if you only know one or two of my characters you probably wouldn't recognize the other eight. Here's a hint, I'm the red guy.

M

Mr. Sly

I love my 16 hp regen and 8 mana regen with lmc to boot also love running over max dci and max hci with almost all 70's in resist....Nah but srsly if it were my way faction artys would have never existed but since they are here im gonna use them i mean ****...why not LOL eaither way i get slaughterd by the Para,exp,para,exp,para,exp,para,exp combo which btw is pathetic..you know who u are if u use it lol :) Overall i use to love running my gm armor because i had what seemd to be an endless amount and so did everyone else it was nice not haveing to buy my armor back for tons of $$$ nor did i ever miss that pair of gm made legs or gloves rofl. Im sure something will happen to balance it hopefully they let us keep the pieces so i can lock them down and in years to come tell nooobs "yea..i use to wear that suit...it was awsome"

Kael

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Not in all cases...la

Nope just in most cases..the other times its a blue non faction naked tamer doing the looting in Luna ;)

M

MoonglowMerchant

The big difference between using the cursed arties versus the faction arties is the DCI. The reason people "can't compete" versus the faction gear is that 70 DCI virtually eliminates dexxers. Since a lot of people play dexxers, that is a problem for a lot of people. Hence, the guild war.

If you look at the people active in that fighting each night, it is mostly dexxers. They have a chance to hit something for a change.

Draxous

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I could give you a long winded story about why I don't like faction items. But it all comes down to this.

I like skill vs skill pvp. If you beat me in pvp because you're a better pvp'er than I, then hats off to you.

I dislike item vs item pvp. Faction items are just another one of those things that keep driving this game into item vs item pvp. However more the fact that the items aren't usable by everyone, so it becomes item vs you don't have the items pvp.
So why haven't you and everyone else in this thread that feels this way... started pushing so damn hard to get monster loot boosted on this shard so items don't matter so much for the non-factioner!?!?!

I skim past kelmo's hypocritical rant about blah blah because he does nothing, nothing, nothing to better the situation for this shard but continues to exacerbate the problem.

You all are the problem. Not these items.

You will bicker and pancake amongst yourselves until there is no one left to bicker amongst with.

So pat yourself on the back, accept the fact that these faction items aren't going anywhere and while your at it, accept the fact that 420 dominates you so damn hard, we sent you back in time 6 years pvp-wise.

GG

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I don't give a damn about monster loot. Give me a good crafted item that I can replace and I will be fine.

Draxous

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't give a damn about monster loot. Give me a good crafted item that I can replace and I will be fine.

I added 10x's the charges to runics in my suggestion as well as more ingredients for more crafting. Do you think crafting is the only valid merchant type of play-style? Probably because your selfish and stuck in tunnel vision.

Players like Uvtha and Yahaxonix like to hunt monsters. We'd have tons more of them hunting for monsters if it was worth while, as well as pk's hunting those players... but, noooo... you don't give a damn about their playstyle because crafters are the only important playstyle.

You selfish hypocrit.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
No.

My house is grandfathered (I own houses here and on atlantic.)

Not only is this idea ridiculous... anything that jeapardizes my current home is an epic fail.
*smiles* Selfish?

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
We all have our agendas. I am not against monster loot. I just think a master crafter should compete with monster trash.

S

Scopulus Falco

We all have our agendas. I am not against monster loot. I just think a master crafter should compete with monster trash.
Aye on that as well (even worse than monster trash is FACTION TRASH!)

Draxous

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
While we all have our own agendas, some of us, unlike you... have the betterment of this shard in mind.

If a Val hammer has 150 charges on it, if a barbed kit has 150 charges on it... if crafters can craft the ML artifacts like a darkwood suit for example... how is that not putting them on a competative level?

You're not interested in doing anything to help this shard become better for all playstyles.

Thanks,

Bye

S

Scopulus Falco

While we all have our own agendas, some of us, unlike you... have the betterment of this shard in mind.

If a Val hammer has 150 charges on it, if a barbed kit has 150 charges on it... if crafters can craft the ML artifacts like a darkwood suit for example... how is that not putting them on a competative level?

You're not interested in doing anything to help this shard become better for all playstyles.

Thanks,

Bye
Think this has to do with whats wrong with faction gear.and we are giving the answer.I dont see what he is saying has to do with undermining the shad at all.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
*chuckles* Yeah. I have done every thing I can to destroy Siege.

Draxous

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If only you knew how to read english!

*chuckles*

Because I said you were trying to destroy the shard?

*chuckles*

I think what was said, was that you do nothing to better this shard.

*nods*

kinda like your stupid emotes, do nothing to help you make your case.

*nods*

Now only if you actually played Siege, you might not be so out of touch with it's community.

*chuckles*

Trammel is that way ----------------------------------------------->

*chuckles*

Oh and take your agenda and place it you know where.

*nods*

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I am done... You are ranting.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Let it go... It is all about what have you done for me lately. I am secure in what i have done.

M

Mr. Sly

Its not like Kelmo made the game or gets to change any of it why u gotta bash another player in the end we all want the same thing, a game thats fun for everyone but honestly i dont believe that can ever happen because there is always that 1 person or that 1 group that has to be ****** bags lol nto that im calling anyone a ****** bag dont take my words that way but everyone knows its true there has to be someone against the good thats just the way it is lol.. i say we all just calm down and try not to bicker and argue about it that isnt gonna change anything if we want change we need to have a PLAN and GROUP participation to get the change we want/need so instead of crushing each other into the dirt on stratics why dont we all just ban together and ****in get it done LESS TALK MORE ACTION...keep it chill for realz :):thumbsup:

S

Scopulus Falco

Its not like Kelmo made the game or gets to change any of it why u gotta bash another player in the end we all want the same thing, a game thats fun for everyone but honestly i dont believe that can ever happen because there is always that 1 person or that 1 group that has to be ****** bags lol nto that im calling anyone a ****** bag dont take my words that way but everyone knows its true there has to be someone against the good thats just the way it is lol.. i say we all just calm down and try not to bicker and argue about it that isnt gonna change anything if we want change we need to have a PLAN and GROUP participation to get the change we want/need so instead of crushing each other into the dirt on stratics why dont we all just ban together and ****in get it done LESS TALK MORE ACTION...keep it chill for realz :):thumbsup:
Aye mate. We are its called the Guild WARS thats the action i know my old Guild mate is looking for.Bro get in the action.