• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Why don't you play Siege?

• Thread starter Midnight Rambler
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
G

<blockquote><hr>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1- No second house on the same account.
2- I'm TERRIBLE at PvP. That said I don't really care if I die cause I only intend to craft.
3- I am too impatient to train skills over a period of months.
4- How badly does SP want/need a new gardener?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WE BADLY NEED GARDENERS!!! I am not joking you!! We have a desperate need for gardeners right now!! Come join us, please!! I am sure someone can hook you up with seeds, pots, water jugs, fertile dirt and potions to get your started!! Maybe someone has some space they can lend you to grow/store them.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can have a whole floor in my 18x18 house for growing plants if you want...

It´s located in a "PK-free" area.

G

Very generous offer.
I barely have time to play my regular shard atm. But, I'll keep your offer in mind should I decide to actually use one of the characters I have there.

G

<blockquote><hr>

fully developed char after a few months

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a big problem, no doubt. I've already made my character and I have no desire to go through it again on a shard that's even slower to gain on than mine. Even after ten years of UO...I really only have two viable characters. The other slots I use for RP stuff or just to hold things in their vaults.

Lack of insurance doesn't help, either. If I went to the trouble of getting an item, I don't want to lose it to a server hiccup. Had that happen more than enough before insurance was added...and even back then it was a major hassle. People look at AOS and complain that it made UO all about items...and it did make items more important. But pre-AOS items were still important, and losing an invulnerable suit and a vanquishing weapon was a real pain in the butt.

G

<blockquote><hr>

While there might be a slight feeling of superiority among some Siege players (mainly cause it's such a pain to get going on the shard and we braved it)

[/ QUOTE ]

Generalizing an entire shard based on the actions of a few isn't at all fair, and there are bound to be plenty of nice folks on every shard, even Siege.

However...I must admit the handful of Siege players I've met didn't make me interested in playing there in the least. It's a game...just because they put up with ROT doesn't somehow make them better people than those who don't. Their attitude isn't doing the shard any favors.

R

Ru Atl

<blockquote><hr>

just because they put up with ROT

[/ QUOTE ]

I love ROT. I know most hate it, but I will never train another char on a shard without it. I made a bard back in 2000 when I started UO and after 6+ years of playing, my highest skill is 102.7. When I moved to Siege I made a bard, less than 3 months passed and I had a 4x 120 bard. I know ROT isn't for everyone, but it's not as bad as everyone thinks.

G

<blockquote><hr>

As a sidenote, I don't get this "its not safe, hence more fun"...when I go to the movies, I don't cry out "Remove the police so I can have a greater chance of getting mugged or shot, that will make my movie experience so much more fun!"

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey...that's an idea...

M

Midnight Rambler

that's very true. While the Rot system kinda sucks for new chars starting out, It makes a few skills a hell of a lot easier and cheaper to gm such as poisoning, ninja, stealing, lockpicking, begging, fishing, disco, provo, taming, and others that I wouldn't even go near anymore if it wasn't for the automatic gains you get in them everyday.

G

<blockquote><hr>

On siege if you pull out your big guns, and get killed, you lose them

[/ QUOTE ]

Same on all shards pre-insurance...which meant guilds that went out ganking people would be wearing the good stuff to give them both numbers and an edge and they'd be very careful to not fight people whom they thought could actually win.

Not saying that happens on Siege...but it seems likely.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I know most hate it

[/ QUOTE ]

Just for the record...not only do I hate ROT, I also hated power hour and GGS and pretty much every other form of skill gain.

I like that UO is skill based instead of class based. I also like that when I got my skills built however many years ago (I gained resist walking back and forth in firefields...) I could stop worrying about building a character and get on with playing the game. I don't work up new templates all the time for whatever the skill of the month is...I've been almost the same as far as skills go for probably eight years now. The last time I changed something was when Chivalry came out and I replaced Magery with it.

To me, the time spent building up skills is always a waste and I just want it over with as quickly as possible so I can get on with the fun stuff. That's one reason I never understood the idea behind ROT on a shard that was intended to be for veteran players. Vets have been there and done that and why on earth would I want to do it again only slower?

G

Vets have been there and done that and why on earth would I want to do it again only slower?
------

Well for some vets that IS the challenge of Siege. We have been there done it every where with so many different templates over the years... some of us wonder...can we DO this again on a far more challenging shard as a customer player, a shard like ...Siege.

So for some of us vets that IS the challenge working up a brand new *newbie* on the harder shard with ROT, with all the challenges and hangin in there to complete said character till they are viable in whatever template we picked for the chr. course that often remains those customers that enjoy working up a characters skills from useless nothings to viable somethings..
it becomes sometimes it's own draw or challenge to begin all over again there on Siege..just to see IF we can complete our chr and see that chr. succeed, because we HAVE done it all before on other shards ..so for some of us the question remained CAN we do it again on Siege ? So we tried it, some did ok to great, some never finished the chr. the began partially done, and some hung it up on day one or 21, but ..to each his or her own search for reasons or challenges to stick around in EA UO I guess on whatever shards they wish to stick around upon.