• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Why don't we have the skills forums?

• Thread starter Duncan McDermott
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
D

Duncan McDermott

Rather than keep waiting for the importing of files from the recovery why are new skill forums not put up? Maybe I just don't understand the amount of work it takes to make a new forum? We need to keep these Mods working or they will get lazy on us:)

T

T_Amon_from_work

Rather than keep waiting for the importing of files from the recovery why are new skill forums not put up? Maybe I just don't understand the amount of work it takes to make a new forum? We need to keep these Mods working or they will get lazy on us:)
Some mods do not have the ability to be of any assistance. and if all the mods, admins and so forth were working to rebuild this place who would play the game to give you answers?

Look around, the forum slogans and taglines are back in many instances. I can tell you the Shard Forum mods have been asked to help on a couple things ... it takes time to restore more data than Ft. Knox has gold, ya know. And keep in mind different storage formats internally that have to change over. <shrug>

I've been doing it for over 30 years and it boggles the mind how many ways one can store just simple text.

D

Duncan McDermott

I wiasn't thinking so much of restoring the old forums as I was simply thinking starting new ones. As for who would give the help I was thinking players that play the game would be the best source. Once the file recovery was complete then import the old files into the new forums. Or doesn't it all work like that?

T

T_Amon_from_work

I wiasn't thinking so much of restoring the old forums as I was simply thinking starting new ones. As for who would give the help I was thinking players that play the game would be the best source. Once the file recovery was complete then import the old files into the new forums. Or doesn't it all work like that?
That is the plan ... for AO, Eve, TSO, War, UO and all the other games that Stratics supports. There is a REALLY dedicated staff to getting stuff "just so" for the posters.

UO is not the only fish in the Stratics sea but one of many. They are all being handled parallel but also security rules and everything need to be setup. Would you want Eve posts to all of a sudden appear in UO boards? Lots of little things like that are being worked on, tested, scrapped or implemented ... in addition to the data.

And remember, the same type of data recovery process (forensic restoration) on the Challenger took months. We got really lucky, Duncan.