• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Blacksmithing] Why does runic armor yield LESS resists?

Miriandel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi,

I just crafted a chainmail tunic with a dull coper runic hammer (you have to use those things one day or another, hehe) and got 26% total resists, with as special property mana regen 2.

Since I'm mostly a tailor and never crafted metal armor before, I was surprized with the low resistances, so I crafted another plain chainmail tunic with a regular smith hammer, and got a total of 35% resists, just like what I get with plate, ringmail and leather armor, out of normal materials.

So my question is this: why did I get LESS resists because I had a +2MR from the dull copper hammer? :rant2:

P.S.: I now crafted another chainmail tunic with the same dull copper runic hammer and got 35% total resists, and NOTHING MORE. I feel shafted here...

P.P.S: When trying to imbue the runic chainmail with total 35% resists, it appears that it had an energy resist property, reason why it had 35% resists, otherwise it would be lower. So it seems runic armor has less resists than plain GM armor. I'm going to go on a tantrum...

K

Kallie Pigeon

Most guys with crafter mules will tell you to use the barbed runics to make armor and use smithing runics to make weapons. If they have been playing long enough then they may not even bother with the lower runics. I still like the dull copper runics for trying to make weapons and once in a while make a superslayer or some other worthwhile item and now with imbuing they may be useful to make stuff to unravel although I have been to busy learning imbuing to try this. Because I haven't been able to get barbed runics till lately I have been using bronze runics to make armor. Bronze runics can make decent armor but not the type most high end players are looking for. Make sure you have arms lore.

S

Stupid Miner

Hi,

I just crafted a chainmail tunic with a dull coper runic hammer (you have to use those things one day or another, hehe) and got 26% total resists, with as special property mana regen 2.

Since I'm mostly a tailor and never crafted metal armor before, I was surprized with the low resistances, so I crafted another plain chainmail tunic with a regular smith hammer, and got a total of 35% resists, just like what I get with plate, ringmail and leather armor, out of normal materials.

So my question is this: why did I get LESS resists because I had a +2MR from the dull copper hammer? :rant2:

P.S.: I now crafted another chainmail tunic with the same dull copper runic hammer and got 35% total resists, and NOTHING MORE. I feel shafted here...

P.P.S: When trying to imbue the runic chainmail with total 35% resists, it appears that it had an energy resist property, reason why it had 35% resists, otherwise it would be lower. So it seems runic armor has less resists than plain GM armor. I'm going to go on a tantrum...
Runic armor doesn't get less resist. GM-made non-runic just gets more. :)

(Yes, the statements are mathematically equivalent, but the rephrasing reveals the intention for the difference)

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Runic armor doesn't get less resist. GM-made non-runic just gets more. :)

(Yes, the statements are mathematically equivalent, but the rephrasing reveals the intention for the difference)
Rofl

Miriandel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All right.

I can't say I'll regret the BOD grind, good riddance!

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Exceptionally crafted non-runic armor gets +15 bonus applied to base resists.

Runic tool crafted armor only gets a guaranteed +6. It's just the way it is.