• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

why does origin always get publishes first?

Demonous

Rares Fest Host | Ches Jul 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
nothing against people that play that shard, but its pretty lame they give origin everything first, like last pub for example people on origin got more points for certain turn ins which was fixed by the time the rest of the shards got it, so they got an advantage there, i think it should rotate to different shards every publish and would be much more fair that way, i mean i could have definitely used this weekend to turn stuff in on chessy, instead ill have to do it in the middle of next week which ill have less time to work with....

K

Kiminality

That's the entire point of Origin, right there.
A step between full roll-out and TC, to test changes in a production environment.

J

Juicy Fruit

They are the live test shard, Don't think you are missing out on anything, if something goes wrong they will get a revert, your not missing out on that.

Imagine you taking a skill to 120 and the next day finding out you have to do it again ... They are just a live version of test center, the pub in not ready to go live yet, so its not our time ... its final step in testing is to goto origin. Barring any major probs then we all get it.

Tamais

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
it is because they were set up as the real time test shard. While it might seem that it's great they get everything first, they also find alot of the bugs and problems that are missed on the testing shard. I play LA and am very glad that origin does such a great job finding the problems for us. They have saved the regualar shards tons of grief. Thank you Origin for being the guine pigs.:thumbup:

F

Fayled Dhreams

Cause it used to be a test shard ... and was converted to a Live test shard with a dedicated volunteer population ... to give a Normal(type) shard FURTHUR time to test new pub's in "realtime real conditions" ... ie. bug hunting/reporting ...

sees stuffs first ... higher likelyhood for reverts ... better one than many.

http://main.uo.com/origin.html

L

love2winalot

Plus when Origin was first open, they told everyone why they created it, and that it would get a updates/publishes first. This was a part of the reason so many players transfered over there, or created charaters there.

L

Lord Drakelord

I can remember those days before the birth of Origin, shards were picked to get the pub first often had BIG problems since alot of stuff at TC cannot be tested as we players NORMALLY do not play there except to test something.

So to have real people test something on a shard before it hits all the other shards is a great idea and I am so glad they are there to do it.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Yeah trust me do NOT envy us here on Origin...there are days we'll get like 8 reverts in one day *laughs* so while it's great being the live test shard, sometimes it's a royal pain in the arse.

Fun to test new stuff with actual charactors that we play, we can catch more things here then on TC but getting published, republished and re-re-published can be annoying :)

:cheerleader:

J

Joyous2K

nothing against people that play that shard, but its pretty lame they give origin everything first, like last pub for example people on origin got more points for certain turn ins which was fixed by the time the rest of the shards got it, so they got an advantage there, i think it should rotate to different shards every publish and would be much more fair that way, i mean i could have definitely used this weekend to turn stuff in on chessy, instead ill have to do it in the middle of next week which ill have less time to work with....
I think it is because they do such a good job testing and submitting bug reports. That way when it is released to the rest... the new content is pretty much a seamless fit with old. LOLsky

D

Desperado

Is a good Idea since when it does not work there is nobody to complain so then they pass it on so we all get to complain lol

Kariny

UO Lake Superior News Reporter
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Origin gets them cause LS was sick of being the test hamster after TC. lol

PASmountaindew

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
or·i·gin

-noun

1. something from which anything arises or is derived; source; fountainhead: to follow a stream to its origin.
2. rise or derivation from a particular source: the origin of a word.
3. the first stage of existence; beginning: the origin of Quakerism in America.

Doomsday Dragon

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cause it used to be a test shard ... and was converted to a Live test shard with a dedicated volunteer population ... to give a Normal(type) shard FURTHUR time to test new pub's in "realtime real conditions" ... ie. bug hunting/reporting ...

Origin was never a test shard before it went to where it is. It was opened for the purpose of testing before everything goes live.

Before origin they used a different shard but I cannot remember which. It was the same deal the first production shard to receive publishes before any others got it. then they opened origin for that purpose and the previous shard is now like any other.

TC has always been just that. They didn't take TC and rename it origin.

Jirel of Joiry

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Trust me I'm glad Origin get's it first! I remember before there was a Origin and they would roll out a pub. AGGGHH Reverts! Could you imagine how cluttered UHall would be with posts howling about being reverted! lol Thank you Origin for what you do!

F

Flora Green

Yeah trust me do NOT envy us here on Origin...there are days we'll get like 8 reverts in one day *laughs* so while it's great being the live test shard, sometimes it's a royal pain in the arse.

Fun to test new stuff with actual charactors that we play, we can catch more things here then on TC but getting published, republished and re-re-published can be annoying :)

:cheerleader:
What Larisa said. Also, if they take things away without notice (ToT 1 dyes!!) we are on the losing end, but you all find out and have a couple extra days to stock up! (I'm still mad about that).

F

Fayled Dhreams

Origin was never a test shard before it went to where it is. It was opened for the purpose of testing before everything goes live.

Before origin they used a different shard but I cannot remember which. It was the same deal the first production shard to receive publishes before any others got it. then they opened origin for that purpose and the previous shard is now like any other.

Tsk! ... I'm one of "The Originals" ... that played on Test Sosaria ... from its inception to its demise.

Uber cows and neon tubs ...
And not one "reset", though every login ... carried the same same warning ... about its "difference" from "regular shards"
Resets (reverts/total wipes) WERE to be expected.

iirc correctly, it was one of three "Test" servers (two remained internal, one always, one occasionally accessed to "public" AS "test")

The wailing and moaning of the "TC regulars" .... heheheh ... was quite distressing ...

Anyways ...Test Sosaria was its name ... anfd the return of the archives will show that it WAS Test Sosaria for just short of a year, before "Origin" was the ... pretty much unannounced, "new incarnation" ...

http://guide.uo.com/testcenter_1.html

*shrugs*

Orvago

Stratics' Finest
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tsk! ... I'm one of "The Originals" ... that played on Test Sosaria ... from its inception to its demise.

Uber cows and neon tubs ...
And not one "reset", though every login ... carried the same same warning ... about its "difference" from "regular shards"
Resets (reverts/total wipes) WERE to be expected.

iirc correctly, it was one of three "Test" servers (two remained internal, one always, one occasionally accessed to "public" AS "test")

The wailing and moaning of the "TC regulars" .... heheheh ... was quite distressing ...

Anyways ...Test Sosaria was its name ... anfd the return of the archives will show that it WAS Test Sosaria for just short of a year, before "Origin" was the ... pretty much unannounced, "new incarnation" ...

http://guide.uo.com/testcenter_1.html

*shrugs*
This is correct. :thumbup1:

This is correct too. :thumbup1:

Test Center (Test Center is the one where you can set skills/stats and is either a clean shard or a clone of an existant backup of a particular shard, usually rotated for testing) and Test Sosaria (Test Sosaria became Origin) and Volunteer Shard (I think that is it, been so long, played only as a Counselor on the latter of the three).

B

butthead owns

becuase its the newest shard and has way less people playing on it and they have other shard to copy the game from case they mess it up lol

K

kennykilleduo

AKA hacker testing site : :lol: