• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Why do people hate "brittle" items so much?

Sempronius

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
So, I heard that the brittle items can essentially "last forever" if you keep on repairing them. SO, I just don't get why I'm seeing people just toss the stuff out on the ground when they are so good.

Fortis

Sage
Stratics Veteran
i dont think people throw brittle good on the ground but yeah if you are a returning player all brittle are insane...but do a scalis and you will have 75 brittle on the corpse when it go public...almost all are wearing brittle i dont get your topic

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Because stuff lasts almost forever and people have everything they really need so if it's not absolutely top-tier stuff, it's not worth keeping. Look at people's suits, almost all brittle.

Dragkarah

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
People dont hate brittle.... at least smart people...

The only brittle people dont like is your primary pvp weapon. Brittle and splinter dong work well together, because each time splinter hits it takes like 12 durability off.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Brittle is the essentially same as imbued these days. You can repair it but you cannot use POF on it. It will last for ages if repaired. Most of the stuff people toss it because it doesn't have the right combination of mods on it.

IGaretjaxI

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Really confused on this...majority of people wear brittle or imbued gear (which is same thing) ... just because you see it on a corpse not looted or it tossed on the ground doesn't mean people hate it? maybe it isn't up to their looting standards?

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I wear/use Brittle, but throw Antique on the ground. Cursed gets tossed for turn-in points. Prized -- keep if I think it's worth powdering.

Yes, Kjronix, we DO want to keep our nice things forever.

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I hate Brittle, and I hate Imbued. I'm happy to be the example the OP is talking about.
I also hate Prized, Antique, Cursed, and every other negative mod they put onto armour.

Reason 1 - Why is it even there? Why does this game feel that to give you something, they have to take something away, it ruins the feel of it. Its Negative Mental Energy.

Reason 2 - I am very active, I play a lot. It takes a long time to put a suit together, and you have a lot of suits to build for a lot of characters. I can pretty much only get close to completing 1 character. Brittle or Imbued do not last forever, they go down to 0/255, then if you are in the middle of a hunt, you lose a bit, then you repair it, and lose 1 at that point, next thing you know it's 253/253. Then lower, then lower. At the point they get to 80/80, the repairing becomes too frequent, and at that point I usually ditch the item I'm too fed up with repairing every 5 seconds. Then if I lose 1 item, out of a seriously hard earned, long fought put together suit, made up of completely random properties that took forever to get right, I've basically lost the entire suit. Random pieces are impossible to find again that are the same.

Reason 3. I just hate the entire concept of built in obsolescence. Stuff should be built to last.

I use Brittle or Imbued, purely because I am forced to by the game, I've quit over this before I hate it so much. I put a lot of my focus into collecting game Artefacts where I can, because they are fully repairable. I also save all my gold to collect plats to buy Items like an original Lieutenants Sash, and original +20 stealth cloak. You have no idea how many sashes I went through pvping, and to just know I never have to expend mental energy on that 1 piece ever again, is worth its weight in gold.

So reason 4 - Having to spend mental energy on repairing, or checking each characters suit before I actually go out to do content, is extremely boring and negative. I just want to play the game, not be forced to do Game Administration before I even start.

When I go on a Roof, Exodus, Shadowlords, Corgul, and pick up say 50 Brittle Legendary items in 1 session, I see nothing except items to unravel, and I do unravel them, they are pointless to me.

Last edited:

John Knighthawke

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Incorrect premise. People don't hate Brittle.
Here's what's going on.
People take items from corpses for one of the following basic reasons.
1-To use on one of their characters.
2-To sell to other players.
3-To unravel for Imbuing ingredients.
If you don't have or know an Imbuer, #3 is out. If your suit's already set up good enough then there's a high bar for #1. As for #2 it requires wanting to be a merchant and not everyone does. It's not a life for everyone.

So there you go.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
most people would want non brittle or non antique. i dont know anyone that hates brittle but they do hate antique, antique can go down really fast of certain templates. brittle seems to be the same as imbued, not bad.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
And, for characters that don't have parry, shields might as well be regular ones. I've been using a brittle shield on my tamer/bard for somewhere between 8-10 years, that's still above 230 durability after a couple dozen repairs.

Dragkarah

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
I hate Brittle, and I hate Imbued. I'm happy to be the example the OP is talking about.
I also hate Prized, Antique, Cursed, and every other negative mod they put onto armour.

Reason 1 - Why is it even there? Why does this game feel that to give you something, they have to take something away, it ruins the feel of it. Its Negative Mental Energy.

Reason 2 - I am very active, I play a lot. It takes a long time to put a suit together, and you have a lot of suits to build for a lot of characters. I can pretty much only get close to completing 1 character. Brittle or Imbued do not last forever, they go down to 0/255, then if you are in the middle of a hunt, you lose a bit, then you repair it, and lose 1 at that point, next thing you know it's 253/253. Then lower, then lower. At the point they get to 80/80, the repairing becomes too frequent, and at that point I usually ditch the item I'm too fed up with repairing every 5 seconds. Then if I lose 1 item, out of a seriously hard earned, long fought put together suit, made up of completely random properties that took forever to get right, I've basically lost the entire suit. Random pieces are impossible to find again that are the same.

Reason 3. I just hate the entire concept of built in obsolescence. Stuff should be built to last.

I use Brittle or Imbued, purely because I am forced to by the game, I've quit over this before I hate it so much. I put a lot of my focus into collecting game Artefacts where I can, because they are fully repairable. I also save all my gold to collect plats to buy Items like an original Lieutenants Sash, and original +20 stealth cloak. You have no idea how many sashes I went through pvping, and to just know I never have to expend mental energy on that 1 piece ever again, is worth its weight in gold.

So reason 4 - Having to spend mental energy on repairing, or checking each characters suit before I actually go out to do content, is extremely boring and negative. I just want to play the game, not be forced to do Game Administration before I even start.

When I go on a Roof, Exodus, Shadowlords, Corgul, and pick up say 50 Brittle Legendary items in 1 session, I see nothing except items to unravel, and I do unravel them, they are pointless to me.
I'm guessing you went through about 0 sashes pvping.

Given your complete lack of logic I can't see you being successful in pvp

Nero

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
If you are playing a lot (talking about pvm), and I mean really a lot such as in the case of being in retirement or so and having nearly unlimited time on your hands, brittle wears down fast.

But it also depends on your template. Armor wears down really fast on melee templates but not so much on ranged characters and casters or tamers. Also double shot or double strike specials literally double the durability loss on weapons, and as other posters mentioned, splintering reduces your durability extremely fast.

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ah, the B team. Got it
vvv.png

Come to me when you have an A Team. :)

If Champ Spawns, or Harrowers were measured, we would be just as impressive. :)

And if you want some fun PvM, I invite you to this, next Tuesday, where we and the shard, will hopefully attempt a shard record. :)

{And I will destroy more of my armour ;) }

Last edited:

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
As far as I remember, people asked for a loot upgrade/revamp - and the team gave us brittle, antique, prized and so on. Maybe part of the equation.

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As far as I remember, people asked for a loot upgrade/revamp - and the team gave us brittle, antique, prized and so on. Maybe part of the equation.
I do understand that.

I don't really get why they feel it has to be. It's my question of why add something, and take something away.
Surely by now, all these mods are just obsolete, get rid of them all.
Make the game simpler, don't make us have to wade through X amount of Cursed drops, why do they even drop?
Again, it's just added levels of complication on top of my previous complaints. My opinion is, strip out the complication where it is not needed.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I do understand that.

I don't really get why they feel it has to be. It's my question of why add something, and take something away.
Make the game simpler, don't make us have to wade through X amount of Cursed drops, why do they even drop?
Again, it's just added levels of complication on top of my previous complaints. My opinion is, strip out the complication where it is not needed.
Yea me neither. Fully agree. It's just the same people that came up with those 9000 different refinements and that changed T-maps so that you nowadays need a spreadsheet to know where to find which loot. It's just how they are. They like to make things complicated grinds.

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I do understand that.

You obviously are not familiar with the concept of 'give and take'
It is prevalent in rl and certainly has been prevalent in-game since the dawn of UO.
:rolleyes:

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I'm a proponent of removing all of these properties then adding "cursed" to anything with over 500 property weight. A simple fix to make crafting relevant again also fixes things lasting forever, so maybe you might be able to loot a good item once in a while

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I'm a proponent of removing all of these properties then adding "cursed" to anything with over 500 property weight. A simple fix to make crafting relevant again also fixes things lasting forever, so maybe you might be able to loot a good item once in a while
Never thought of that, I like it. Gives me that "is this item worth bringing to fel?" Nostalgia

Sent from my SM-J337VPP using Tapatalk