• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Why can't we untrain pets?

Thoronnar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Serious question.

What is the logic behind this? I recently put AP instead of AI on a Cu by mistake, it was an honest, human mistake, because I wasn't paying enough attention... that basically screwed my pet. This Cu I've had for years is now a BRICK. I am sure people make mistakes with training pets all the time, and honestly it is not a simple user friendly system and takes a while to get used to.

I've been playing UO for many many, years. Imagine how long it takes a new player understand this convoluted pet training system. And on top of that, you spend many hours trying to tame a good pet (or millions buying it), then hours training, hours planning, and a stupid single mistake ruins everything.

Why can't we go back? Why does everything have to be final? it doesn't make any sense to me. You can always put skills down on a character, why can't you on a pet?

It's been suggested on the official forums by myself and others. Definitely something that needs to be implemented. Both getting powerscrolls back and resetting points. It could be great if this could be done with craftable items and usable only by legendary tamers.

Adrahil

Adventurer
I honestly wouldn't mind paying for a store "reset" token for my pets. I say just leave the scrolls on the pet and the stats or training just revert to fresh tame status. I have an ice blue cu that was messed up on a late night. I would love to fix that.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I found that margarita night and choosing pet points is not a good thing.

But op. Armor pierce on a Cu is close enough to AI. It is fine. I just made an ap chiv cu last night.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I honestly wouldn't mind paying for a store "reset" token for my pets. I say just leave the scrolls on the pet and the stats or training just revert to fresh tame status. I have an ice blue cu that was messed up on a late night. I would love to fix that.
I'd want to be able to get the scrolls back. The current situation with insane scroll prices will not go away without Dev intervention and it's seriously impeding players taking full advantage of the pet publish. I don't know how many times I thought - I'd love to try that pet-skill combination. But I don't because I cannot afford to commit 100+M in scrolls to an experiement, and without the scrolls I can't have an accurate comparison to my best pets (which is the whole point). This will not fix the scroll insanity, but it will make it easier to live with just a bit.

Adrahil

Adventurer
I'd want to be able to get the scrolls back. The current situation with insane scroll prices will not go away without Dev intervention and it's seriously impeding players taking full advantage of the pet publish. I don't know how many times I thought - I'd love to try that pet-skill combination. But I don't because I cannot afford to commit 100+M in scrolls to an experiement, and without the scrolls I can't have an accurate comparison to my best pets (which is the whole point). This will not fix the scroll insanity, but it will make it easier to live with just a bit.
Hmm, that is a great point and you are right the scroll prices are insane. I rarely add more then a 110 to any pet as the price escalates from there.

Thoronnar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
It just doesn't make any sense. Characters need to be updated all the time, new mobs, changed your mind, new skills, etc... I am pretty sure pets will need to be edited as well. I am afraid that the way they implemented the system simply overwrites the values on the pet and keeps no history of old stats, skills, etc... This would mean the data of our original pets is lost, In which case we are screwed.

But think about it, if new stuff comes in a few months or years that make our pets obsolete, we would have to tame a new pet and do what with our old pets with 120 PS and stuff? trash them?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It just doesn't make any sense. Characters need to be updated all the time, new mobs, changed your mind, new skills, etc... I am pretty sure pets will need to be edited as well. I am afraid that the way they implemented the system simply overwrites the values on the pet and keeps no history of old stats, skills, etc... This would mean the data of our original pets is lost, In which case we are screwed.

But think about it, if new stuff comes in a few months or years that make our pets obsolete, we would have to tame a new pet and do what with our old pets with 120 PS and stuff? trash them?
I had a Blue lesser gifted to me because they put Goo on it and noticed AI was not a choice. I can salvage it with a magic but it will not be as good as AI.

Would be nice if they gave a re do within the level you are on. Or have the planner put pretend points on and then actually show what choices can and cant be made with what you have put on.

We made guides to try and help.