• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Why Can't We Train Swamp Dragons?

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
My guess would be it's because they can already have crafted armor added to them, so a 5 slot swamp dragon with armor would have an advantage over the other 5 slot pets without armor.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Whoppee.... I'm sorry but that's the lamest excuse ever... First off just because you can add armor to them does NOT make them in any way overpowered...

Secondly anyone that would benefit from this would HAVE to be a tamer... so again... crippled... so no ... lame excuse... the thing is no better than a horse and even with armor it sucks.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Because the devs probably forgot that it was a pet, the way they forgot to add the latest towns to the fishing quests after giving them nice shiny docks.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My guess would be it's because they can already have crafted armor added to them, so a 5 slot swamp dragon with armor would have an advantage over the other 5 slot pets without armor.

They would be a 1>3 pet. So, we aint missing anything. The armor doesn't help the pet. You would need taming to click the button.

Deadly Serious

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Because they didn't want you to waste time? it's the best 1 slot pet in the game :p

+ you'd be straying away from the community and not talking about cu's/naga's/lesser h's etc ^^

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just look at that magnificent beast and its noble form. Being able to train them would simply imply that they are not already the definition of perfection. They are already ungodly OP as it is, I mean the terror factor alone of a armor plated pickle chasing after you is near game breaking!

Eric Ravenwind

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It would be nice if we could train them up to at least slot 3. And also, be able to let non-tamer characters use them.

xX~Cobalt Bones~Xx

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
They would be a 1>3 pet. So, we aint missing anything. The armor doesn't help the pet. You would need taming to click the button.
armor does help the pet. they would be OPed.

dragon barding does 5 percent damage reduction for player, 10 percent if exceptionally crafted. regardless of metal type. The type of metal used gives resistances to THE PET, not the player.

You would not need to train resists as much (if at all).
http://www.uoguide.com/Dragon_Barding_Deed
Dragon Barding Deed - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia

Captain is correct this is why they cant be trained, and shouldnt be.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

dragon barding does 5 percent damage reduction for player, 10 percent if exceptionally crafted. regardless of metal type. The type of metal used gives resistances to THE PET, not the player.

I dint know that. Mine dies when when my melee guy dies anyway.

Hats off to the captain.:thumbup:

armor plated pickle chasing after you
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
:danceb:

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
All that would be needed would be to not allow training of a Swampie wearing armor, and having trained Swampies incapable of wearing armor.

Deadly Serious

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran

Barding exceptional is 20% absorb damage and non exceptional 10%, parax swamp is something like 12% permanent.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Which IMO has ZERO effect on it being trained as a pet since the only bonus you get there is while riding it... once you get off the thing you don't get the bonus anymore... so again what is the point of not being able to train it???

Not like it's going to be more powerful than a horse. And once you train it NO ONE else but a tamer can use it... so again... what is the point of it not being able to be trained??? Seriously.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dragon Barding doesn't just add Damage Reduction to the player when ridden, but it also adds Resists to the Swamp Dragon. Exceptional Valorite Dragon Barding adds +50/20/30/35/30 Resists to a Swamp Dragon, on top of the Resists they already have, and i've seen them go up to 95% Physical Resist before with Dull Copper Barding. All you'd need to do is level a Swamp Dragon to 50/80/70/65/70 Resists, which is 335 Total (well within the 365 Total Resist Cap), then slap on an Exceptional Valorite Barding Deed, and it'd have 95+ in every Resist. Ultimate tank right there, almost nothing would be able to kill it.
That's why they didn't allow Swamp Dragons to be levelable.

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran
They should only be trainable if they lose their ability to use the dragon barding deed. Otherwise you will have an unkillable pet

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Dragon Barding doesn't just add Damage Reduction to the player when ridden, but it also adds Resists to the Swamp Dragon. Exceptional Valorite Dragon Barding adds +50/20/30/35/30 Resists to a Swamp Dragon, on top of the Resists they already have, and i've seen them go up to 95% Physical Resist before with Dull Copper Barding. All you'd need to do is level a Swamp Dragon to 50/80/70/65/70 Resists, which is 335 Total (well within the 365 Total Resist Cap), then slap on an Exceptional Valorite Barding Deed, and it'd have 95+ in every Resist. Ultimate tank right there, almost nothing would be able to kill it.
That's why they didn't allow Swamp Dragons to be levelable.
Then have the barding only apply like resisting spells does... UNDER what is already there... simple fix... can't get any higher then than the armor... if you put the armor on a dragon with all 70's whatever then it just won't do anything unless the blighter gets cursed really badly...

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Barding also becomes destroyed after it takes so much damage. Hard cap pets resist at 80, or remove the extra resist gained from Barfing.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Which IMO has ZERO effect on it being trained as a pet since the only bonus you get there is while riding it... once you get off the thing you don't get the bonus anymore... so again what is the point of not being able to train it???

Not like it's going to be more powerful than a horse. And once you train it NO ONE else but a tamer can use it... so again... what is the point of it not being able to be trained??? Seriously.
Cos People would just put disco on the pet, use the pet to disco a boss, then ride the pet... would be way too OP.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Cos People would just put disco on the pet, use the pet to disco a boss, then ride the pet... would be way too OP.
I can do that with a CuSidhe... what's the diff??? and if you get on it then the Disco wears off.... since it can't "see" the pet anymore.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can do that with a CuSidhe... what's the diff??? and if you get on it then the Disco wears off.... since it can't "see" the pet anymore.
no, it doesn't wear off, just goes to prove as per usual you have no idea what you're talking about, and the difference between doing that on a swamp dragon to a Cu, is that the Cu does not give 20% damage reduction, so why would any warrior tamer ride a cu?

Deadly Serious

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
no, it doesn't wear off, just goes to prove as per usual you have no idea what you're talking about, and the difference between doing that on a swamp dragon to a Cu, is that the Cu does not give 20% damage reduction, so why would any warrior tamer ride a cu?
Because cu > swamp, bandage ally bru! nah seriously swamp > cu :p