• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(Question) Who would take in a 'guest'?

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
With the recent changes to co-owner status most of us can now co-own all our characters. This makes it easier to set aside a room and/or chest for friends and invite a 'guest' into our house for a short period while not putting our own possessions at risk.
So, if we invite folk from other shards to come for a 'holiday', a trial period on our very special shard, who will offer them a place to stay? Hopefully they can then choose who they'd like to stay with.

I'll start by offering a secure chest in Marie's fishing shack at Zento Dock for a month.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I will have a room and an entire house to offer. It will take a day or so to prepare them.

Touzoko

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They can stay at mine. Not to far outside the gates of umbra to be much hassle getting to and fro

Symma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd be happy to offer some space at my Yew Moongate house. Got a chest or two available.

Although I would need refreshing on the procedure to make it completely secure (in case i had two guests) for each individual guest.

Haven't done it before. But still happy to give it a try.

Kas Althume

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I could offer a whole house were they would be coowner. I sold a keep on europa and that account has no house yet. With the changes to magincia i dont know if i'd place at the moment tho. If i place a house it comes with a teleporter to my luna vendor house so the house location wouldn't even matter much.

Barania

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
With the recent changes to co-owner status most of us can now co-own all our characters. This makes it easier to set aside a room and/or chest for friends and invite a 'guest' into our house for a short period while not putting our own possessions at risk.
So, if we invite folk from other shards to come for a 'holiday', a trial period on our very special shard, who will offer them a place to stay? Hopefully they can then choose who they'd like to stay with.

I'll start by offering a secure chest in Marie's fishing shack at Zento Dock for a month.
I'm not at all familiar with the the changes mentioned but would be glad to help in this. Actually, I think I'd just throw up an extra house. I just don't understand how the secures/co-owner stuff works these days in a scenario like this with people you don't know but would like to help.

Jack Nickelson

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Basically, you can now be co-owned to up to 10 houses. So even if you're using several accounts they can be co-owned to each other's houses.
The security at my Zento Dock place works like this:
The garden is open to the public. The garden gate security is set 'anyone'. The shop is reserved for my chars and those of my hubby, the doors are set 'co-owner'. The fishing shack is open to friends, the doors are set 'friends', inside some chests are reserved for my char, set 'co owner', I can set one in there 'friends' for a guest.
The guest will be able to access the fishing shack, his chest, and the garden, but he'll be unable to go in the shop.

Touzoko

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
any way that you could have 2 guests that could not get into each others things?

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've been thinking about that one.
Locked, secured boxes can not be picked. So if the box you give to your guest has a lock on it, they can keep it private that way I think.
What I'm not 100% sure on is whether the owner of the house can get into it anyway and whether the same safeguards apply if you use magic lock - which avoids the risk of losing the key. Some experimenting is required.

Draxous

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've been thinking about that one.
Locked, secured boxes can not be picked. So if the box you give to your guest has a lock on it, they can keep it private that way I think.
What I'm not 100% sure on is whether the owner of the house can get into it anyway and whether the same safeguards apply if you use magic lock - which avoids the risk of losing the key. Some experimenting is required.
Unless they changed it... if you're friended/co-owned/owner... you can pick secured chests. You simply need access rights.

I would test it before adding any more than 1 person as a 'guest.'

Sprago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
a co owner can secure an item and set it to owner only level and only that person and the owner of the house can acccess it so it would be at that moment as secure as its gonna get

each co owner can owner level secure there own items and the other co owners can not access them

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tried on test. The owner of the house could not open or pick a chest locked by a friend. Got the message 'that is secure' when trying with a pick and 'that is locked' when just clicking. Sadly however you can't use magic lock on a locked down/secured item, so it has to be a key.

Beli Mawr

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have a keep right by the trinsic gate, the char that owns it is HordeSlayer. I can friend or co-own to any guests that you need accessed to it. I really don't use the place for much, except to lock down some stuff.

S

Shalimar/Cleo

Tried on test. The owner of the house could not open or pick a chest locked by a friend. Got the message 'that is secure' when trying with a pick and 'that is locked' when just clicking. Sadly however you can't use magic lock on a locked down/secured item, so it has to be a key.
Hm, we've been doing this at NEW for a long time and the house owner can access anything at all in their own house. If you have folk friended they will always be able to lock something down and if they leave the setting to 'owner', only the person locking down and the owner can access ALTHOUGH either of them would need to release the item/bag to have the use of it, unless just dropping things into it.

If you make each guest a key (locked down also beside their storage) and have them lock their own possessions (they always need to lock and re-lock everytime they use their storage) then only that player and the house owner can access the item/s.

Freja may be able to go into detail better than I can as she was doing this on a regular basis for a long time with multiple NEW at the same time.

QueenZen

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well needless to say, I am reminded of the *barracks* I once ran on Chesapeake, where I had 10 interns as guests in my one guild barracks home. EACH one was given a key to their OWN chest ! LOCK IT UP I TOLD THEM !

Well, ahem someone forgot to lock his or her own chests one day. One of the other ones stole every darn thing the other 2 had in their chests cuz they went airheaded and did NOT lock their own chest up with their own keys, that I had provided TO THEM each ! I did NOT even provide myself with any duplicate of their OWN KEY so as to remove myself from being suspect if they ever got ripped off.

I banned the one and kicked him out of our guild for the stealing. THEN I made the more difficult decision to also boot the other two whom neglected to LOCK their own chests, simply because they put every one ELSE in suspect till we found the true culprit of the stealing, they ALL were under suspect of each other, blamin each other, even the innocent ones, ie it made a mess for us all because they did not LISTEN to a simple instruction 'LOCK YOUR OWN CHEST' !

So I learned a lot that year ! You can have guest or guests, you can tell em what is the game plan and to be safe to lock their own chests, but some one will be an airhead and NOT do that...so if ya do take in more than ONE guest be wary !!!

Some one will always be a dickhead and rip the other one off, and someone WILL always be an airhead, NOT lock up their stuff and loose it all !

GOOD LUCK ! LOL *shudder* worst day of my UO life nearly that time around sorting out who done it from who being airheaded too trusting or just plain.. stupid !

I would strongly suggest keep it simple ! ONE guest only, if ya takin in guests !

Raptor85

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wish they'd bring back the strongbox but allow it for friends....

That said I probably have space for a few people.

Spree

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I only have 8 free lock down i'm saving stuff sissy miss tea and Kammy if they ever com back :(

QueenZen

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I only have 8 free lock down i'm saving stuff sissy miss tea and Kammy if they ever com back :(
Yeh that is kinda my problem too, my chrs. are holding stuff in banks and homes for if ever, just incase, Skylark, Castor, others from WC or any of KSS people and their chrs. etc. ever would maybe, come back. :(

ie I am kinda items/gp and stuffs intense atm too, unfortunately.

I have lots of their stuffs stuffed in my homes/banks that did not all go to NEW although much of it has gone to NEW, sorta just hoping, that IF maybe some of em return, one day maybe, to rejoin us again, and IF EVER they do return, they will be way good to go and they will get lots of their own private stuffs back/lotsa tokens/gp of theirs and some of mine, TOO ! :thumbup1:

I miss a lot, of them. Ah well. One can hope or dream can't they ? :)

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
The Uhall version of this thread shows quite a bit of promise...

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I now have 2 guests in my fishing shack :)
Global chat is getting interesting too.

Kat

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can offer a house for private use, as well.

AEowynSP

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would like to echo what Shalimar said and add my 2 cents.
I used to own the zoo of NEW by britt gate a few years ago and would also friend people to my ice keep. What I did was just let any noob lock down a box and I also had a few chests set to friend for things for anyone to use. Never had any problems and even when I had several boxes set to friend and several dozen people friended there was no thieving. I know I might have just been lucky but it worked.

That said I am happy to provide storage for any noobs. I have a castle by britt x roads and a tower in Gilfane town next to the road by the brigands.

Oh also you can just release things item by item and take them out of a locked down container.

Hoffs

Gilfane Keeper of the Hall
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are two guest rooms at the Tortured Elf tavern in Gilfane which newcomers are welcome to use. It is a public building, but the rooms' doors can be set to "friend". It is just a stone's throw from Kelmo's station exit.

AtlanticVlad

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Kelmo's House is gonna be the place to be when I'm done with it =) haha just gotta get these alacritys finished up so I can work on it some more oh yeah and all that homework I didn't do all last week while I was playing Siege... =) haha

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
So what do you think so far? I updated the Uhal thread as well.