• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Blacksmithing] Which would you do? 6 Smalls or 1 Large?

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I have to BODs necessary to fufill a 10/Ex/Agapite Plate LBOD.
upload_2018-6-25_15-57-19.png
I can collect an Agapite Runic Hammer, possibly selling for 400k. I don't have any plans to make something with it, though I'd attempt some sort of armor upgrade if I did. But a 400k agapit runi hammer will cost me nearly 550k in gold, so it's a money looser. (I might just simply make it for a display piece, make a runi hammer collection.

Alternatively, I can fill the 6 smalls separately. I can cash them in for 6 copper runic hammers, they seem to be selling for 225k. I suppose I'd just throw the LBOD away. Costs the same to fill, but I'd end up with 6x225k (1.35m) gold, a net winner.

upload_2018-6-25_15-59-50.png

What would you do?

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
If I was going to do that, I'd fill and bank the points toward a val hammer. I already have one, not sure what I'd do with another val hammer.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
IMHO banking points is and even worse cost V return than what you first asked about, Gold to point value in what you are showing is bad enough and now you want to accept not even a 10th of the point value. Spend the gold and bribe but pay attention to cost of bribing and do not do it all in one day that is a huge mistake when bribing.

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Still begs the quest, why would I want a val hammer? Prestige?

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Still begs the quest, why would I want a val hammer? Prestige?
Only if you need one or want to sell it is all but to just do them to bank the points is IMHO useless and a waste of resources is all.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
IMHO banking points is and even worse cost V return than what you first asked about, Gold to point value in what you are showing is bad enough and now you want to accept not even a 10th of the point value. Spend the gold and bribe but pay attention to cost of bribing and do not do it all in one day that is a huge mistake when bribing.
While I agree in principle, the banked points for a large are 20% of the full point value, not less than 10%. If you're trying to make a valid point, don't goof up the numbers so people can claim you're wrong, even when you'd still be right if you used the correct numbers.

Unless you're going to take a long time to pick and choose your bribery attempts, that's 28 bribes to get to Val Hammer. (2 count, 2 material). That will likely cost more than buying a Val Hammer outright, unless you can find 28 different rarely-used smith NPCs to bribe once each - which is hard to do even spread out over 2 weeks on a dead shard like LA.

The best way to do the smalls, in terms of cost, is to

1. Get a gold smelting talisman, farm the Blackthorn gold eles for 45-60 minutes. OR, go mine the orc mines while killing orc brutes, using Prospector tools and garg pickaxes to get spots to Shadow Iron (and maybe some shadow eles), collecting 1000 Shadow iron.
  2. Depending on the method chosen in #1, either a. (gold) claim a cauldron from BODs or Void Pool to change gold to agapite or b. (Shadow Iron) do the quest in Ter Mur twice to get two of the shadow-to-agapite elixirs.
  3. You now have 1000 Agapite with minimal cost and effort. Equip an ASH, and proceed with the smalls.
  4. Turning in the smalls, or combining for the large, is up to you. Trying to get it up to Valorite just isn't worth the effort, in my opinion. Under no circumstances should you bank points on most colored smith (or tailor or tinker) BODs.

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
i use a rule of thumb that I'll spend around 300gp per bod reward pt. In the OP you can see the economics; the smalls separately have better economics than the large. And banking points absolutely destroys economics.

I've decided to fill the 6 pieces individually and throw away the large. The only thing not included in the economics is the gold reward when you turn in a bod, but unless the reward is 1 million gold (i don't know where to find that info), then filling this particular large isn't worth it.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I think the largest LBOD gold reward is 300k.

The info used to be on Tower of Roses but not sure where to find it currently.

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
The NPC never tells me, so I'd have to check my bank balance before and after. And I never remember to do it before.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Basara I do not bribe up bods all at the same time nor do I use the same NPC and I do not do them on Atl. You would be surprised at the low cost of bribing if you shop around the different NPCs and the differences between the facets. You were right on the point return for banking but it is far from worth the effort when a small costs you 10 times the amount in resources and a large costs you 5 time the resources so yes bribing is cost effective if done smartly.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
My experience, doing exactly that, is that the normal rules for "cheap" go out the window when you're taking a BOD above about the exceptional agapite level, even it's the first bribe.