• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Which race would you like to see next (assuming there will be one.)

Which race would you like to see?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cosmetically, I wouldn't mind if there were playable other races - but it's never done just cosmetically, there has to be some racial advantage/disadvantage special skill that causes you to re-think your characters and maybe convert them to the new race, whether you like the way they look or not.
Therefore I vote for the non-existent option 'none'.

btw, would you like me to add that option to the poll?

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hell of a qualifier....Remember that fictionally the universes our characters live in are, quite literally, splinters from the main Ultima world. So its history is ours to a certain point, and ours has mirrored its in broad terms.
The addition of a global change like Elves isn't a splinter. The sampire template is a splinter.

RP/UO historians have to remember a great deal of UO players weren't into the single-player series at all, which was far from popular in comparison to say the Final Fantasy series (not comparing them based on content, just popularity and series longevity). I'm not saying UO hasn't and shouldn't continue to draw from its history, I'm saying--from the standpoint of someone who began playing UO when it first came out to the time Elves arrived--the whole introduction of a second race seemed like a tacky sideshow, which, apparently, was a decision based on a closed user poll. Wish I had a vote.

Elves never existed in UO in any kind of meaningful way prior to ML, unless they were in A Treatise To a Llama or something. Whether they existed prior to UO doesn't really matter to me because the way they introduced them in UO is the way they introduced them in UO, found in a lost and forgotten tree. I'm glad you found the process more rewarding on a RP level but I found the whole thing to be half-assed. Thankfully the peerless fights were amazing, and the main reason--IMO--to get the expansion.

Anyhow, my point is Orcs have a history in UO which doesn't need befuddling past UO, whether its Tolkien, his predecessors, or even the original Ultima series. UO is going to be 15 years old, I'm pretty sure it's safe to add content based on its own history at this point--like Minax still being alive (bring on the Orcs!).

D

Drive

Cybermen or Dalek's, there might be some issues with stairs with the Dalek race, but i'm sure ramps can be introduced.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Since the dawn of UO Role-players have played a great many races, from Drow and Dwarves to Orcs and Gargoyles... and all manner of Elves. The DEV's adding Elves to the game and Gargoyles has only bolstered that. Addin the change to Polymorph and there are ever more RP possibilities. I personally welcome any change that helps build the role-play aspect of the game. Be it purely cosmetic or with benefits.

Infact I gladly encourage changes to UO that foster RP.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The addition of a global change like Elves isn't a splinter. The sampire template is a splinter.
Fictionally, the UO world exists on a shard of the Gem of Mondain. Fictionally, the UO world was created in the immediate wake of the events of Ultima I.

Given the context it should be plain that this is what I was referring to. We were civilly debating and quietly deliberating the merits of various racial groups in UO, and part of that debate and discussion, by definition, was their potential fictional validity.

Elves never existed in UO in any kind of meaningful way prior to ML,
Unless you count RolePlayers and the fact that some in-game characters, such as Lord British and Lord Blackthorn and numerous players' characters had some kind of knowledge of the world before the shattering and what had gone on.

*shrugs*

-Galen's player

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Predator FTW!
A new exciting story arc can be created for this intelligent humanoid species. Much like the 'look' of a possible monster we may encounter ingame. Granted, they do like to hunt human prey for sport and display their winnings hung on trees; coming from another realm/galaxy (reference: Predator-Wiki ).

Perhaps also vamp it up with some New True Blood. :thumbup:
WIN

-Grimm

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Elves never existed in UO in any kind of meaningful way prior to ML, unless they were in A Treatise To a Llama or something.
This quote makes no sense to me and here is why. If you go by this quote, they should never introduce a new creature to UO. I mean, crimson and platinum dragons never existed in UO in any meaningful way prior to the events that introduced them. The same can be said for Meer and Juka. What you fail to mention, however, is that elves did exist in UO, except it was through the elf players guilds who roleplayed elves and drow. These roleplaying elf and drow guilds were numerous, active, and well organized which is one reason I think elves were chosen as the first race to be released: there was already a community of elf fans on all the shards.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This quote makes no sense to me and here is why. If you go by this quote, they should never introduce a new creature to UO.
We're not talking about adding new creatures that are flat, we're talking about adding playable races. The average user doesn't need a ten page report on a bloodworm, yes, but when it comes to adding a race I felt EA focused on Gargoyles in a much better way than they did on Elves, technically and through RP context. Elves don't even have a starter town.

Imagine if EA added a race of Nixies trapped in an ice cave on Dagger Isle, finally giving us Seahorse Mounts. Okay, I understand players RP Drow, Elves, probably not Nixies but I guess it's possible. Your experience in RP and my experience will differ based on what shards we played, that is true. From my experience, most of the RPers focused on Orcs, Undead (Vampires), and later Savages. From my PvP experience the Orcs dominated the RP wars on every major shard. Well, say the Nixies had a cave-like tree layout similar to what the Elves were given. I'd say that would be a huge step backward from what they did with the Gargoyles, wouldn't you?

Whatever EA adds--should they add a new race--I just hope they follow the success of SA. They have a clear advantage with the Meer and Juka, since each race has a town. Especially when it comes to the Juka, their town is so large and underused.

Potgut

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd like to see something more drastically different than Juka and Meers which I think are all still too human like unless their abilities were drastically out-of-this world I don't really see the point of adding a race that mirrors the same human and elf play-style and body-shape looks. Maybe something like water related creature with water related abilities and towns, but also i'd be down with ophidians and terathans.

LordDrago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cybermen or Dalek's, there might be some issues with stairs with the Dalek race, but i'm sure ramps can be introduced.
revamped Justice virtue-Knight of Justice can sue player house owners which are not Dalek accessible
Dalek%20stairs.jpg

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wooki. Like the dead and living speach problem, only another Wooki can read what you say and everyone else will only see "Roooargh, Yip, Nook Nook " Load of cross bow abilities but race have no armor slot for pants and leggings. Looting the corpse of a Wooki has a natures fury effect from fleas.