• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Where to train Lockpicking

• Thread starter Bo Riddler
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
B

Bo Riddler

I thought for sure the trainer in Stormwind asked me to go to the Locked Boxes in the Swamp of Sorrows.

At 36 Season in Rogue, im at 175 of 180 in Locks. Without having to spam that I'll pick your locks, where can I go for gains, since the Wetlands doesn't seem to anything but grey's and an occasional yellow for me.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

I

IusedtoPKinUO

Hillsbrad Foothills - Skill 95 to 160- Durnholde Keep
Redridge Mountains - Skill 90 to 165 - Lake Everstill
Ashenvale Forest - Skill 75 to 150 - Zoram Strand
Stonetalon Mountains - Skill 115 to 190 - Windershear Crag
Wetlands - Skill 90 to 165 - Murloc Camps, Inland
Wetlands - Skill 110 to 185 - Murloc Camps, Coastal
Desolace - Skill 150 to 225 - Sar'Theris Strand (off northwestern coast)
Badlands - Skill 175 to 250 - Angor Fortress
Badlands - Skill 200 to 275 - Angor Fortress
Swamp of Sorrows - Skill 175 to 250 - Pool of Tears
Searing Gorge - Skill 200 to 275 - Slag Pit
Searing Gorge - Skill 225 to 300 - Slag Pit
Tanaris - Skill 225 to 300 - Lost Rigger Cove
Azshara - Skill 235 to 300 - Bay of Storms
Eastern Plaguelands - Skill 250 to 300 - Tyr's Hand

B

Bo Riddler

Thank you, that is exactly what I needed to know.

And by the way, let it just be stated here that I think you need to post a lot more than you do because that Sig is heavenly!

Brumble

G

I am new to WOW, I started a rogue who is now at level 17. I just recieved the lock pick skill but would like to know how to start training it. Someone told me to find a shaddy dealer, I ran all over ogimar looking for one and couldnt seem to find one. I would be very greatful if anyone could help me get started.....

NeroRathe

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

At level 16, your trainer will give you a quest to go to the Rogue Trainer in the Cleft of Shadow in Orgrimmar. There, you must learn the Lockpicking skill, and you will be sent to Ratchet. Once there, you will receive a Quest to sneak onto the pirates' boat south of Ratchet. Grab the two items that the questgiver tells you to from the nearby robot, and head south to the boat along the coast (you can't miss it). Enter it by walking along the spike on the ship's front. Once inside, there is a room full of locked chests on the first floor of the ship. You can grind up your skill to 80 on these chests (they respawn after you pick them, and they are all empty). After doing so, descend further into the boat. There will be a singular chest in the back of the bottom floor. Open it. A large parrot will spawn nearby and start coming towards you. Feed it the cracker you were given when you took the quest. This will allow you to fight it. He will drop the treasure you need for your quest. Return it to Ratchet for your reward, a stack of Thistle Tea.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.wowwiki.com/Rogue_quest

You will gain 5 points per level you have of lockpicking, so you will have a max 300 at level 60. You train lockpicking by using the skill. Whoever steered you to a Shady Dealer did so incorrectly. Shady Dealers are for poison materials, as well as vanishing powder.

Find a lvl appropriate place to start grinding the skill up, and pick up your 5 points every level !

NeroRathe

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here is a complete list:

<blockquote><hr>

Lock picking Guide from 1-300
1-100 - Keep picking the instant respawn chests near the lock picking quest.

100-175 - You can pick the Polly quest chest (Horde LP Quest chest), OR you can use either of the chests in the Poison quests (Alliance OR Horde) you get at later levels. You will have to click on your lock picking skill first before clicking on the chest.

For the Polly/Poison Tower chests: You NEED to activate (CLICK) your lock picking skill icon first, then (CLICK) on the chest as your cursor will NOT change automatically like it did during the quest or before it.

175-225 - Pickpocket mobs for Sturdy Junk boxes. Several mobs drop them, check thottbot and pick the best location for you. I recommend mobs in instances, that way you can pick it clean, reset the instance, and then go to town again. You can also pick doors in instances at this range. I personally picked the door in the Scarlet Monastery cathedral from 180-225 in a single day by repeatedly resetting the instance.

225-280 - There is no real easy way that I've found to skill this range other than to keep doing junk boxes. You can use the gates in the NE corner of Searing Gorge, but there is no reliable way to reset them (see notes below for more information). Also opening lockboxes in your faction's major city will get you skill ups.

280-300 - There are 3 doors in Blackrock Depths that are very close to the zone in that you can use to skill up this.

Trivial list
If your skill is lower than "orange" number, you won't be able to pick the lock (It won't even let you try). If your skill is higher than the "grey" number, you won't get a skill up from that item. A "?" marks information that might be wrong, multiple "???" mark missing information.

Stuff from pick pocketing:

Battered Junk box (Orange: 25? Green: ??? Grey: 100?)
Worn Junk box (Orange: 100? Green: ??? Grey: 175)
Sturdy Junk box (Orange: 175 Green: ??? Grey: 275?)
Heavy Junk box (Orange: 250 Green: ??? Grey: never?)

Dropped Chests - These are extremely random, so don't try to camp them.

Heavy Bronze Lockbox (Orange: 50? Green: 75? Grey: ???)
Ornate Bronze Lockbox (Orange: 75? Green: ??? Grey: ???)
Iron Lockbox (Orange: 75? Green: ??? Grey: ???)
Strong Iron Lockbox (Orange: 125 Green: ??? Grey: ???)
Steel Lockbox (Orange: 175 Green: ??? Grey: ???)
Reinforced Steel Lockbox (Orange: 225 Green: ??? Grey: never)
Mithril Lockbox (Orange: 225 Green: ??? Grey: never)
Thorium Lockbox (Orange: 225 Green: ??? Grey: never)
Eternium Lockbox (Orange: 225 Green: ??? Grey: never)

Doors:

Doors in the normal world (not in instances) are usually on some sort of timer. In other words, you can't repeatedly pick the same door over and over again for skill ups. The mechanism of the timers is not well known. Some people say if you pick something else (anything else) in-between attempts that it will reset some timers. Others say that if you pickpocket a mob, or kill a mob, or so something else, that this will reset the timers. It may be different for every door. Suffice to say that reset an instance always (to my knowledge) resets any doors inside, so use that method when you can. I am leaning towards the pickpocket theory for now.

Gnomeregan (Orange: 150? Green: 200 Grey: ???)
Scarlet Monastery (Orange: 175 Green: 226 Grey: 275?)
Searing Gorge Gate (Orange: 225 Green: ??? Grey: never)
BRD Shadowforge Gates (Orange: 280 Green: never? Grey: never)
BRD Prison Cells (Orange: 250 Green: never? Grey: never)
Scholomance (Orange: 280 Green: never? Grey: never)
Dire Maul (Orange: 300 Green: never Grey: never)

From Fishing:

Battered Chest (Orange: ??? Green: ??? Gray: ???)
Small Locked Chest (Orange: ??? Green: ??? Gray: ???)
Reinforced Locked Chest (Orange: ??? Green: ??? Gray: ???)
Sturdy Locked Chest (Orange: ??? Green: ??? Gray: ???)
Ironbound Locked Chest (Orange: 175 Grey: 250?)

Footlockers:

A number of areas in the world have footlockers in them. These areas are in place for rogues to visit to increase their lock picking skills. The contents of these footlockers are only token amounts of treasure, but they should allow for a more interesting experience while increasing lock picking skill. The difficulty of the locks in the area corresponds to the level of the zone, so if your lock picking skill is around 100, you would go to Durnholde Keep in Hillsbrad. But if your skill is 250, you might head to Tyr's Hand in Eastern Plaguelands.

Hillsbrad Foothills - Durnholde Keep (Orange: 100? Green: 130? Grey: ???)
Redridge Mountains - Lake Everstill (Orange: 100? Green: 130? Grey: ???)
Ashenvale Forest - Zoram Strand (Orange: 100? Green: 130? Grey: ???)
Stonetalon Mountains - Windshear Crag and Associated Mines (Orange: 100? Green: 130? Grey: ???)
Wetlands - Murloc Camps (Orange: 130? Green: ??? Grey: ???)
Desolace - Sar'theris Strand (Orange: 150? Green: 200? Grey: ???)
Badlands - Angor Fortress (Orange: 180? Green: 230? Grey: ???)
Swamp of Sorrows - Pool of Tears (Orange: ??? Green: ??? Grey: ???)
Searing Gorge - The Slag Pit (Orange: ??? Green: ??? Grey: ???)
Tanaris Desert - Lost Rigger Cove (Orange: 225 Green: ??? Grey: ???)
Azshara - Bay of Storms (Orange: ??? Green: ??? Grey: ???)
Eastern Plaguelands - Tyr's Hand (elite) Orange: 250? Green: ??? Grey: never)

[/ QUOTE ]

This list is a little older, so the range may be off a touch.

Info poached from: http://www.worldofroguecraft.com/lockpicking.html

G

Thank you all very much for your help. I will try this when I get home from work tonight.