• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Where in the FAQ is a detailed explaination on how to "Lead Tame"?

• Thread starter FoodStamp [GL]
  • Start date
  • Watchers 1
F

FoodStamp [GL]

I can't find it. This should be explained in clear detail, examples used, and added to the sticky threads or a FAQ.

I've been gone since 2004 & can't remember how to do it. After searching the forums I've found some posts that refer to it, but don't do a very good job explaining how to do it.

Can someone please explain everyting there is to know about "Lead Taming"?

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The FAQ is a work in progress right now, which means that there will be info about taming in it, but the whole thing really needs to be written or updated. I think you can appreciate that it's not a 5 minute job to do that, and that RL sometimes screws up a mod's spare time when she had things to do.

In the meantime this should get you started.

First, get some good resists on your armour if you can so you're well protected from a wild critter trying to eat you. It's down to preference how you tame from here. I tame in a very basic way without using honor, peace etc. [If you search for honor taming you'll find a stack of info about building it up and using it so I won't cover that ground again.]

Unless the pet is safe to tame at full health, beat it down to a sliver of health first. This slows it down and in most cases will reduce the damage it deals out. Some casting pets will heal themselves back up again, in which case try to keep them below half health. You don't have to beat pets down, but if you're out of practice it makes it safer if you make a mistake.

I then precast invis, run up to the wild pet and target myself when I'm right beside it. I do this because it takes the critter a few seconds to notice me and start attacking. In that time I can hold down my taming macro [use taming skill, last target] and walk so there's a tile between me and the pet which prevents melee damage. This is when it helps to have a spawn free area nearby so you can retreat and heal up if you get low on health. Sometimes you're fortunate and start a tame attempt quickly, other times it's awkward.

You'll get messages telling you that you've angered the beast when you hit that macro, but if you hold the tame macro key down eventually you'll see the blue text telling you that you've started to tame the pet.

When I start a tame I usually try to cast invisibility on myself again, to break target with the pet. You will become visible again a second later, it just distracts the pet for a moment until it "sees" you. If you repeatedly cast invis on yourself you should manage to tame without sustaining damage.

I'd suggest if you're recently returned that you practice on something less dangerous like a dire wolf until you get the hang of using the macros and invising yourself. You won't get any angering messages with dire wolves, but you'll be able to practice walking out in front and gauging how fast you need to cast invis etc.

Depending how rusty you feel, it might be worth popping onto test centre and refreshing your skills there - at least if you die on TC you don't have to worry about the insurance gold ;)

Wenchy

F

FoodStamp [GL]

Thanks for the reply! Sounds like lead taming functions just like taming regular pets in general, minus casting Invisibility many times.

And, I meant no offense with suggesting the Lead Taming info. be put into a FAQ or something; I was just being as straight-forward & 'simply put' as I could be.

If you need help doing something with the FAQ, tell me what you'd like & I'll see if I'm able to help - bare in mind that I've been gone since 2004 and have only been back for about 1 month now. But, if you just need something typed, I may be able to do that: I've got MSWord 2007 and the whole 2007 Office Student Edition at my disposal. I would definitly like to contribute something.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hehe no offence taken, I understand your frustrations and appreciate the offer of help ;)

Wenchy

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Lead Taming
By Dreadlord Lestat
Lead taming is a taming technique used on aggressive mobs. Lead taming is not difficult but can be rather painful. You need to make sure that you are prepared mentally and physically before attempting to tame them or you may find your world turning to black and white while you run around looking for a healer. OoOOooOOo!!!

Step #1

Make sure that you have enough taming to tame your prey. The closer you are to the minimum tame level, the longer it will take to get off successful attempts. You can use power scrolls and skill jewelry to bump up your taming to make it easier and smoother. You also need to make sure that you have stable room for your new pet. Too often, someone sees a must have pet and forgets to check their stable before taming it and then they are out of room and cannot pull a pet out of the stable to make room for their new pet due to followers. You can also use power scrolls and jewelry to bump up stable room but make sure you make room before the next time you pull a pet out.

Step #2

You will need to make sure that you come prepared. I would advise bringing plenty of greater cures and heal potions. I would also suggest bring a few trapped boxes for when they decide to cast paralyze on you. If your tamer that uses healing, then bandages are a must. If you use ninjitsu then smoke bombs are great for difficult situations as are invisibility potions. High resist armor will also be a great help. You can build a set that is high in all resists or piece together certain resists only if you limit your taming to certain mobs. The last thing that I would recommend is equipping a balanced (spell channeling if you can find one with both) bow. The bow will keep you from auto attacking the mob. If you damage the mob through auto attack it can disrupt the tame attempt. With a balanced bow equipped, you will still be able to chug pots.

Step #3

It is always good to bring an ally or two, especially when attempting to tame the big nasties like Greater Dragons, Reptalons, and Cu Sidhe’s. You never know when you will need an emergency heal, invis, or get hit by lag. A friend can keep you alive or distract your mob while you heal up. A bard can be your best friend. Contrary to popular belief, there is no penalty for taming a mob that is peaced or discorded. Some tamers refuse to tame a peaced mob because they enjoy the challenge but they will rarely object to it being discorded as it greatly reduces the damage you take. You may also want a friend to beat down the mob for you a bit before attempting to tame it.

Step #4

Now you are ready to go out and try your luck. You have to be within 3 tiles to start your tame attempt. Once you see “you begin to tame the creature” you know you were successful in starting the tame, now you need to start walking away and it will follow while your attempt continues. Make sure that you stay within 7 tiles of the mob but out of reach of physical attacks. There is not much you can do about magical attacks other than wear your high resist armor and have friends casting heal on you. Also keep in mind that you need to stay in sight of the mob, don’t go around corners and try to keep away from obstacles that can get between you and the mob. You may get lucky and tame it on the first attempt or it might take many attempts. If the attempt fails, just rinse and repeat until you see those magical words “it seems to accept you as master” Now you are done, feed your new friend to begin the bonding process. I always do it right away as I have seen too many people stable them immediately after and forget to feed them costing you a week of extra bonding time since you failed to start it the first time. Once it has bonded, unstable it and take it on a dungeon tour!!

gortman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for this thread - I'm still learning the ropes when it comes to lead taming.

For those of you that invis as part of lead taming, do you typically use it only when initially coming alongside the hostile tame and then once a successful tame has started, or is it part of your routine for getting through the "anger the beast" messages too? Since you have to be stationary for a certain amt of time to crank up the invis spell, I'm curious how that fits in with the critter following closely on your heels (i.e., 1 to 3 tiles away).

When I first started taming cu's, I would run away and invis every time I got an "anger the beast" message - not exactly lead taming. Now I just keep spamming tame and walking in front of the cu until I get a "you start to tame the creature" message. Sure saves a lot of time but isn't as safe as my first method.

Just not sure how it all fits together. I will have to get on TC sometime soon to try things out and answer my own questions. Nothing like OJT!

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
You can invis when low on health and also once you start a sucessful attempt though I try not to if I can. I have had a few tame attempts stop when I invised and then when I tried to tame I got the message "someone else is already taming this creature" and had to wait to start the attempt again. When attempting to tame higher end beasts, its hard enough sometimes to start a sucessful attempt and I don't want to waste one by invising and having it become distracted or something. Just my 2 cents on that.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I use invis more or less depending on how dangerous the critter is.

When I'm trying to get through the anger messages I stay visible holding my tame macro and simply move away a bit to heal if necessary. I just use invis during the proper taming attempts, because it's easier to cast invis repeatedly so the pet doesn't damage me. The alternative being to stay visible, take damage and try healing while the pet is casting. Some pets are great at timing cast poison or just interrupting a heal, so invis is just easier to control.

A pet that's beaten down low does much less damage which translates into more time holding down that macro key and walking in front. So you shouldn't need to invis at that stage anyway, and healing should be minimal.

Practice casting heal and invis in front of something angry and you'll learn how many "clear" tiles you need between you and said beastie. It just takes a bit of practice with timing and spacing, but it makes any lead taming easier if you aren't constantly running a long way away to heal up. FC/FCR items make it easier to cast closer by speeding the casting process up, but they're not *essential* because you just need to learn your own personal space requirement ;)

Also, have macros for healing yourself and invising yourself too. I also have one just for casting invis so I can do the run up and invis thing.

Wenchy

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dreadlord - thanks a lot for making that guide, you're a gem :)

Wenchy

gortman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dreadlord and Wenchy - thanks for the info! I'll mix in some invising while cu taming to get the timing down. Beating down the creature makes a lot of sense, too.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you're working cu sidhe don't worry about beating them down. Just watch for the teeth ;)

Wenchy

A

Azumazi

Yeah just don't forget that in area's like Destard, that hill doesn't translate the same in tile spaces, so you can have them hit you 2 spaces out due to the games translation of distance. So don't pull a me and forget that and have a greater go up and go NOM NOM NOM and me going AHHHH HALP!! and Greater is all like "SURPRISE!!" and I'm like " DO NOT WANT! DO NOT WANT!" :stretcher:

End of story

A

Azumazi

Postings like this should be the end of your Stratics privileges... SURPRISE!
Postings like that how asinine and foolhardy it might be, should be placed in the subject of a private message in future reference as it is forthcoming rude, implacably of current courteous nature. Now if a GM, which you are not, find it distasteful, and or not in current way or form funny I can edit the post; however, regardless of your near 3000 posts, that does not make you or will it ever make you the judge and jury of these said forums and I would kindly ask you to refrain from such judgment shall you not wish it returned to you in full, as what goes around goes come around in said measure of life.

O

Old Man of UO

Postings like that how asinine and foolhardy it might be, should be placed in the subject of a private message in future reference as it is forthcoming rude...
Just be a bit less rude in the future then. Your graphical comment wasn't necessary at all.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Edited to removed misdirected moderation.

I think the relevant parties know about the language rules now, but just so we're clear - keep it clean.

Wenchy

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, we had an edited post which I read after it had been changed, so my sincere apologies Old Man because I slapped your wrist when you'd actually done the right thing and reported the post.

I'll go sit in the corner for the morning and organise the dust bunnies....

Wenchy

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Ok, we had an edited post which I read after it had been changed, so my sincere apologies Old Man because I slapped your wrist when you'd actually done the right thing and reported the post.

I'll go sit in the corner for the morning and organise the dust bunnies....

Wenchy
After sorting them, you can train them and then we can start dust bunnie fight nights! :thumbup1:

gortman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What's the minimum taming skill required to snag one of those dust bunnies? If it had high resists, I'd love to add one to my stables, especially if it was also a rare lint-colored one. :)

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*grins* I'm not sure, still trying to persuade them to get in the bathtub to find out - ever tried bathing bunnies? Turns out they're slightly less enthusiastic than cats...

They're grubby little gits but maybe I can get them into little packs to much on any passing trolls :D

Wenchy