• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Where do fred lobsters hang out at?

Raptor85

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've been fishing for weeks, and just finally GM'd my fishing skill on siege, I have hundreds if not thousands of all the other fish, and probably a few hundred of all the lobsters/crabs.

...except the freds, I have 2, I know the exact spot I got them (and the ONLY spot I've gotten them) and I get 1 every few hours and hundreds of traps.

Now to add insult to injury, I decided before to hold off on doing fishmonger quests until i had a stock of fish. The new ships are ridiculously expensive to own and maintain on siege so I can't really leave it out at sea for too long lest it be scuttled when I return. I've now accepted 3 quests....all 3 for 10 freds.

Whoever programmed the fishmonger quest system is one evil *******.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I couldn't do this before the new co owner change came in but.

How about we have a fishing co-operative like I belong to on europa?

I can friend fishers to my fishing shack, we pool our catches and share them. For example I have currently 57 freds.

Rules would be, you put in your spares, and you never totally clear out any fish type.

Anyone interested give me a call on icq (102280987) or just yell for me in general chat.

Kas Althume

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Do you have shovel-nose lobsters? I seem to get quests with shovel nose lobsters over and over. I got 73 spare fred lobsters ...

SashaSeeks

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm afraid most of the Fred lobsters are in my house in crate, just waiting for an order for them!!! Have tons of those and no shovel lobsters.

If on pac shard, try to monitor the fishing or fish trading channel in chat. Trying to keep it going for fish trading. Any one can start a chat channel so if your shard does not have one, try to get one going, maybe it will catch on.

Raptor85

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Do you have shovel-nose lobsters? I seem to get quests with shovel nose lobsters over and over. I got 73 spare fred lobsters ...
I do actually, I think we're going to need a dedicated subforum for lobster trading on siege, lol.

Seems like I only get the ones you guys aren't, and you're getting the ones I'm not....and the quests we're getting are all the ones we get the least of.

Oh, and here's the best part, last 2 turnins I had gave me Yellowtail Barracuda bait...a fish supposedly only found in trammel. (which kinda makes it useless here...)

The fishmongers are evil I tell you!!!

Is there any listing of where things have been found? Would be nice to have a guide of where to find things, it does seems like the lobsters/crabs are specific to certain areas.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The joke is "the lobsters and crabs you are fishing for, are found only underneath the traps of those people who don't have quests for them)"

I think Crustys and Shovel-Noses are the only two that I've not had a shortage of at some point.

Currently on LA, though, I'm looking for 11 dungeness and & Blues, both from the same order.... And, I'm stuck with two more quests wanting redbelly bream - after filling ANOTHER quest for those that took forever to fill, as the redbellies are the only shallow fish I need.

G

Gowron

There was a thread a while back about the RNG and fishing.

http://vboards.stratics.com/uhall/228465-rng-what.html
I think it would be prudent to mention that statistically, the difference between the least caught named crustacians and most caught named crustacians was within 1.5% of the total caught out of about 1,000 catches.

While the original post complains about lack of catches of a particular quest item, it actually proves that the RNG was operating in a fair manner. How odd is that?

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think it would be prudent to mention that statistically, the difference between the least caught named crustacians and most caught named crustacians was within 1.5% of the total caught out of about 1,000 catches.

While the original post complains about lack of catches of a particular quest item, it actually proves that the RNG was operating in a fair manner. How odd is that?

The fact that several players lament the same thing or, if you prefer, express the same "feeling" as in regards the RNG not giving them the fish/crabs/lobsters they most need because of fishing orders at the very least gets one thinking regardless whether the difference is or not within a tolerable margin.

It is not merely me saying it, we got quite a few fishermen sharing the same feeling.

I understand people like to think I am always mistaken, but what about all others who have expressed my same feeling ? They are also all mistaken ?

And if so, how come so many players all feeling the same about this oddity with the RNG are all mistaken ?

Lots of questions and not many answers, unfortunately........

G

Gowron

The fact that several players lament the same thing or, if you prefer, express the same "feeling" as in regards the RNG not giving them the fish/crabs/lobsters they most need because of fishing orders at the very least gets one thinking regardless whether the difference is or not within a tolerable margin.

It is not merely me saying it, we got quite a few fishermen sharing the same feeling.

I understand people like to think I am always mistaken, but what about all others who have expressed my same feeling ? They are also all mistaken ?

And if so, how come so many players all feeling the same about this oddity with the RNG are all mistaken ?

Lots of questions and not many answers, unfortunately........
The fact that people have feelings is not necessarily substantial in ground truth other than the fact that people have feelings. If you go back to your thread, I also acknowledged that as well.

However, when you cut to the FACTS of YOUR collected data, there is no major deviation between your most commonly caught named crustacian and your least commonly caught crustacian. BY YOUR NUMBERS, 1.5% is within normal deviation ranges given a fair and properly random system.

You cannot debate me on this, the argument is based on solid fact of numbers which YOU reported. The fact that you drew an incorrect conclusion is on you and you alone and just further proves that you ignore facts in favor of what your preconceived notion is.

Go back to playing the game, because debate is definitely not your strong point.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
BY YOUR NUMBERS, 1.5% is within normal deviation ranges given a fair and properly random system.

A wider picture can be obtained putting together various smaller parts. Like a puzzle...

My small sample, the reports from various players including the OP of this thread are all small pieces which make one think about what the actual large picture might be.

The RNG ? Who knows.......

We lack most of the information to conclude one way or the other but the feelings players are getting, all remain. Particularly, because when we are talking about software, bugs are always around the corner and, therefore, how can we exclude that we might have here at play some nasty bug which causes some fishermen to feel haunted by the RNG ?

G

Gowron

A wider picture can be obtained putting together various smaller parts. Like a puzzle...

My small sample, the reports from various players including the OP of this thread are all small pieces which make one think about what the actual large picture might be.

The RNG ? Who knows.......

We lack most of the information to conclude one way or the other but the feelings players are getting, all remain. Particularly, because when we are talking about software, bugs are always around the corner and, therefore, how can we exclude that we might have here at play some nasty bug which causes some fishermen to feel haunted by the RNG ?
Why do you persist in such discussions when the solid evidence YOU YOURSELF PRESENTED proves otherwise? Once again, you discount fact in favor of your preconceived notion. There's a word for that, and that word is "dumb".

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yes, you are, Gowron. popps presents the evidence, you fire back your "pre-conceived notion".

That "1.5%" you are bandying about as if it was inconsequential, is pretty far from it. Perhaps you should take some probability & statistics classes.

1.5% is negligible for comparing things where the segments fall into 10%+ amounts of the sample.

But, when you are talking 3.5% +/-1%, that 1% is PLUS or MINUS (roughly) THIRTY PERCENT OF 3.5%!

Let's see...

Popp's sample had ~57% being the normal crabs/lobsters, from foughly 1200 catches.

the remaining 43% was divided between 12 other types.

one would expect, then, about 3.5% on average of each of the 12 types.

9 of the 12 types lie within 0.4% of the estimated mean. In fact, only ONE of those 9 is below 3.5, so it's not an even distribution there, either.

2 of the types were 0.91 and 1.08% below that 3.5%, meaning they are ranging 2 to 2.5 times off the apparent mean. One was a similar amount above that apparent mean.

If the 8 that are between 3.5% & 4.0% are truly indicative of the range these are supposed to fall (with one of the normal types being higher, but within acceptible limits -it's deviation would of course be 10-12 times larger than the one for a named type), then that would put the expected mean probably around 3.6% or 3.75%, making the shovel-nose much less of an outlier, and the Spineys and Dungeness even MORE outliers from the expected number.

Without seeing the formula for random determination of type, we CAN'T determine the expected means and standard deviations for each type (normal and named) to fall, but only estimate them from sampling. popps, while he's going on circumstantial evidence, at least has SOME SORT of evidence (a sample of 1199). Others have reported similar results, with less scientifically gathered data.

You are the one insisting your accusations must be taken by blind faith, without proof.

G

Gowron

You're on Basara. It will be time to open those books and notes. It's been over 20 years since I've taken one, but being that the low end of the range and the high end of the range are pretty close to being equidistant from the mean, I'd venture to say that the RNG, at least in the case of popps numbers are not out of the norm.

Let's see, of the named crustacians, the mean is 43 with a standard deviation of 6.76. The high exceeded by a tad over 6, while the low end exceeded a tad over 7. Still seems that the high end and the low end aren't that far apart distance wise. The statistics seem to me to be a normal deviation vice some sort of evidenced conspiracy that the type of fish/lobster/crab sought after is purposely manipulated to reduce the chance of a catch.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have them all in the back of my hull on each server. I will be charging 100000 GP per until all have been sold. Thank you.

Gem

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I have done over 80 quests, and never yet had an order for freds....so I have quite a pile of them :)

Now that I have said so, of course, I will now get orders for nothing but :)

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have done over 80 quests, and never yet had an order for freds....so I have quite a pile of them :)

And yet we get another piece of the puzzle to help us see the larger picture.....

No order for fred lobsters = RNG giving to player lots of them.........

Hmmmm, is there anything we should be hinted to as to what is here the larger picture ?

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I read that differently. I read that he has a pile of them because he's never taken from his stock to fill an order.

I believe, but haven't had chance to fully check it out, that moving to a different area can improve your chances. For Dungeoness crabs on Siege I go to T2A and fish shallow water either side of where the pillar is, north of Papua. I've found a spot in Tokuno gives blue crabs in good quantities.
For Red Bellied Bream on Europa I fish off Bucs dock.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I read that differently. I read that he has a pile of them because he's never taken from his stock to fill an order.

It could be, but it could also be because the RNG was nicer in giving fred lobsters because they where not in fishing orders....

Without knowing how large a stock was accumulated it is hard to say.
I still see this yet as another piece of information to put together with the other pieces and try figure out better what the large picture actually is......

I believe, but haven't had chance to fully check it out, that moving to a different area can improve your chances. For Dungeoness crabs on Siege I go to T2A and fish shallow water either side of where the pillar is, north of Papua. I've found a spot in Tokuno gives blue crabs in good quantities.
For Red Bellied Bream on Europa I fish off Bucs dock.
Could be, and it actually would help game play and probably even enjoy fishing more if we could be told by the Developers how they actually coded this thing.

I mean, I would love to hear that not all tiles are made equal in UO in regards to the fish or crabs or lobsters they can spawn. This would make fishing in Ultima Online closer to the real world where an experienced fisherman learns the best fishing spots over time, with experience........

I can only dream of a game where rainbow trouts are abundant at a specific stream or river and almost nonexistant by the shore where other predators might go after them....

But is it so ? What it really coded this way ?

I am not saying that the Developers should tell us where to fish what, this is up to us, fishermen. I am just saying that the Developers should tell us whether or not they indeed coded all fishing times as equally spawning fish, crabs or lobsters or whether the location matters and quite some as in regards to what we can catch there.

Knowing that the location does make a difference, then we'd endeavour the world to find the tiles that allow us to fish what we need the most........

How wonderfull would it be if, in their wisdom, the Developers had coded a number of tiles (a low number of them to make it a rare occurrance) that take longer to dry up ? That is, where a fisherman can fish up more and more than on the average tiles ?

One of the things about fishing in real life is to have one's own "preferred fishing spot" because there one can do better fishing...
Do we have such a thing also in Ultima Online ? I'd love it...

But we first need to know whether this search is worth making or we'd just waste our time since all tiles were made as equal in regards to fishing.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If I can find time, I'll record some data - but the last 3 times I've had requests for red bellied bream on Europa I've gone to Buccs and filled the order with very little problem. For me that's sufficiently consistent to investigate further.

Perhaps if people record what they've caught where on which shard a pattern per shard could be built up or disproved

Kas Althume

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My Siege Perilous statistics are:

Code:
Plain Lobster         578	30,67%
Crusty Lobster        58	 3,07%
Spiney Lobster        58	 3,07%
Hummer Lobster        70	 3,71%
Rock Lobster          50	 2,65%
Fred Lobster          83	 4,40%
Shovel-Nose Lobster   50	 2,65%
Plain Crabs           588	31,21%
Blue Crab             59	 3,13%
Apple Crab            60	 3,18%
Rock Crab             58	 3,07%
Dungeonss Crab        52	 2,76%
King Crab             60	 3,18%
Snow Crab             60	 3,18%
                      1884 total
This is what i caught. Some of it went to the fish monger.

Raptor85

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If I can find time, I'll record some data - but the last 3 times I've had requests for red bellied bream on Europa I've gone to Buccs and filled the order with very little problem. For me that's sufficiently consistent to investigate further.

Perhaps if people record what they've caught where on which shard a pattern per shard could be built up or disproved
I know for a fact there's certain fish I only get in certain areas, whether this is by sheer luck or what I can't say 100% for certain though, but i fish enough that it seems a bit odd for it to be simple random chance.

I meant to post earlier but my theory is it's working quite the reverse of the RNG being weighted on the fishing side, but the orders being given being weighted based on some internal counter of what you've fished up. (just a theory though, based on rough observation of data so far, though unlikely it could simply be bad luck on everyone's part)

I have a proposal based on petra's post above, anyone interested in doing this join in and it should become clear fairly quickly how it works. Carry a sextant around (i keep a mariners brass one on me at all times anyways, I navigate via map and sextant in game still ) and next time you're fishing, or maybe just occasionally jot down your coords and what fish you found in that spot, with enough data I could plot a map on where people have found certain fish and we should be able to see at a glance the "patterns" of where to fish up certain things.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Code:
                      1884 total

I assume you had some pending order when you were fishing up those (though it is possible to have no pending order if one cancels it....).
Was the order asking for any crabs of lobsters ? What were they ? By any chance Shovel-Nose or Rock Lobsters ?

Kas Althume

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I fish whereever i left my boat for the night. ;)
When iam in Skara and get a quest for Vesper i set the boat to go forward, heading to the vesper subserver, and gate off. Whereever the boat stops is my next fishing location. So no set location but mainly the Moonglow and Skara Subserver.

Timewise i get the most crabs/lobsters when i move all the time. I put 15 trabs in a row. Most of the time they all start bobbling in the same order as i put them into the sea with a timeframe of 1-2 seconds between them. I pull them all in again, no matter if the particular trap has bobbled, move to the next resource square and repeat the cycle.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have a proposal based on petra's post above, anyone interested in doing this join in and it should become clear fairly quickly how it works.

I am not sure how feasible it would be, but perhaps Stratics could set up a database where players registered with Stratics could enter their fishing data per shard and location?

This way, after a while of data collection we could perhaps get a wider picture of what is going on.

But we need a central location where all players can log onto and put their fishing data into....

Since a lot of fisherman either still use UOAutomap or the UOCartographer, it would be nice if they could enter the location that these 2 utilities give to make it easier that the actual sextant cohordinates....

G

Gowron

Code:
                      1884 total
In the spirit of fairness, which crabs/lobsters were you trying to fill quests for at the time you took this data, if any?

At a cursory glance, it seems you had a better ratio of named crabs/lobsters to general crabs/lobsters than Popps did. Of course, you seem to have a disproportionate increase from the mean of fred lobsters than the decrease from the mean of rock and shovel-nose lobsters.

It seems I am going to have to take a more in depth look at this. Outside of the previous observations, it almost looks rather consistent with what Popps posted earlier.

Basara, since you seem to be a statistics expert, please throw in anything I might have left out...

P.S. I'll start collecting data on the rates that I catch, but I shall forewarn all of you, it will take me a long time to produce these kind of numbers.

Kas Althume

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This data was taken a couple minutes before i posted it. I counted all the crabs/lobsters i currently have and added all those i already handed in. Iam currently fishing for shoevel-nose. I got 1 quest for 10, then 15 then 20 and now 10 again. 5 of those are already in the quest crate. It is a 1 liner with just 10 shovel nose.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
BTW, Gowron -

A standard deviation of 6+ is fairly abnormal, for the range of numbers being tested. The equation for determining the type caught SHOULD by all accounts be a normal distribution, and this is an indicator that there's something wrong. Try running the results through a normal distribution curve, and look at all the outliers that result.

That there was about a 3% difference between normal crab & normal lobster in popps' sample, and 1/5 as much difference in Kas' sample (only 50% larger) would indicate that something skewed popps' numbers of one of those types, and that it's probably a 40% chance of the 12 named types (or, 3.3333%, or 1/30 to be more exact), and each of those being equally likely.

Still, by the time I was approaching 1200 & 1800+ samples when testing BODs after the 2008 changes, the expected numbers were already closing with that from the actual data (and were within hundredths of a percent, if their chance of occurring allowed them to be in the dozens like the above crabs/lobsters). I'm not seeing that type of convergence in popps' & Kas' samples, which still show differences of around a half percent, up to 1% or more (in popps' smaller sample).

Most likely, it's that stupid RNG that they're planning to replace (that is prone to streaks at all points along the curve) that is causing the majority of the issue. Over a sample of hundreds of thousands, or more, the streaks will start to balance each other out - but most fishers, due to the nature of the trap fishing, are at less than 1-5% of that amount.

But, that multiple people seem to be getting hit hardest in the types they need to catch most urgently, indicates circumstantially that someone might have attempted to code a bonus for that type during the development of High Seas, and made an error (resulting in a penalty). It might even be something not officially in the code (left over from internal testing), but believed (in error) to have been removed or commented out.

It could also mean that the streaks of quests asking for similar fish types comes from part of the RNG seed being based on some factor that is different from character to character, but relatively constant (but slow-changing over weeks) for each specific character, allowing a synergy between the streaks of catching certain types, and getting quests for other types, to lead to repeated shortfalls of a few types - but those types end up changing a few weeks later, as the RNG seed alters.

A example from my own fishing is that initially I was being bombarded with quests for spiney & hummer lobsters, but none were asking for Shovel-nose Lobsters or Apple Crabs. However, I was catching twice more shovel-nose lobsters and apple crabs than any other given types, and practically no Spineys, with Hummers being about the expected rate. Now, I'm not getting any hummer quests, spiney & apple quests are "normal", and I got 4 quests out of my last 8 wanting shovel nose, and an equal number wanting dungeness. I was able to fill all the shovel-nose quests with the pile I had on hand (I had over 100 Shovel nose before I'd caught more than 50 of anything other than unnamed stuff), but since Dungeness jumped from "catching about what I needed" to "everybody wants them", I'm now 28 crabs from finishing two quests, after fishing for a week to finish 2 others (having used up all the ones on hand the week before).

G

Gowron

Thanks, Basara.

Of course, I'm not a statistics expert, but it was good that you added that overarching context to the raw data that is being reported.

You make a good, logical case for something being wrong, and that is always better than "I feel something is wrong, therefore it must be."

Popps, take note, as will I, at the manner in which Basara states the position and observations to support it. It will be much better received.

I looked at the data based on its merits, but as I still have more to learn on probability and statistics, it didn't leap out as being "irregular". In fact, I'm still having difficulty in seeing it, but the points that Basara is illustrating does bring merit to irregularities existing.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This data was taken a couple minutes before i posted it. I counted all the crabs/lobsters i currently have and added all those i already handed in. Iam currently fishing for shoevel-nose. I got 1 quest for 10, then 15 then 20 and now 10 again. 5 of those are already in the quest crate. It is a 1 liner with just 10 shovel nose.

Aha !!

And oddily enough, it was shovel nose lobsters which you got among the least........

How many are the chances, statistically, that so many players across the board experience such findings that they have the hardest time catching precisely what their orders are asking them for ??

More informations to be added to gather what the larger picture is............

G

Gowron

Aha !!

And oddily enough, it was shovel nose lobsters which you got among the least........

How many are the chances, statistically, that so many players across the board experience such findings that they have the hardest time catching precisely what their orders are asking them for ??

More informations to be added to gather what the larger picture is............
Hold up, I'd hardly call it the smoking gun. So far the least caught is within the difference from the mean as the most caught. Though, it does show an interesting tendency. However, that tendency is still not entirely evidence enough that things are definitely broken.

Z

zarobhr

there must be something wrong with my 6 sided dice. i rolled a 6, 7 times out of 12

Raptor85

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
there must be something wrong with my 6 sided dice. i rolled a 6, 7 times out of 12
When you roll 6 on a 6 sided die 99 times out of 100 though, it's only natural to start suspecting it to be a loaded die :)

G

Gowron

You got to be careful about that zarob guy. He'll roll a 7 on a 6 sided die. The man is crazy. I tell you that....

Sorry, zarob. I couldn't resist.

BluDjinn

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It could be if you can't find Fred.
He is probably hiding from his wife Ethel.
Or they both might be upstairs with the Ricardo's ?

:mf_prop:

Hey from what we actually know of how the fishing quest work my theory is as fact based as any other.

rolleyes:

Raptor85

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I set up a little program to keep stats of my fishing so I can try to figure this whole thing out, and to generate maps of where I've found certain fish. If anyone wants to help my numbers you can use any spreadsheet program and send me a list of fish with either sextant or UOAM coordinates and fire it to me in an email at [email protected]

It's php, I'd put it up so anyone could submit but it's insecure and I don't really want to get my production database pwnt to gather information on some fish :) (the map generator I will put online though, once I have some data.)

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It could be if you can't find Fred.
He is probably hiding from his wife Ethel.
Or they both might be upstairs with the Ricardo's ?
OMG! You are REALLY showing your age, BluDjinn... Or you've found some REALLY OLD reruns...