• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

when thinking about Eve Online, what comes to mind?

Vince

Journeyman
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
The upcoming blog banter involves gaming communities outside of the game so we are in a unique position to have the stratics community provide some feedback!

Please leave your comments, thoughts or frustrations here. If you tried it, what did you think?

If you haven't, what have you heard about it? Rumors are fine, anything goes :)

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
This image comes to mind.

Vince

Journeyman
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
That's good :)

Here is the blog banter question:

Now approaching its tenth year, the EVE Online player community has matured into an intricate and multi-faceted society viewed with envy by other game developers, but is frequently regarded with suspicion by the wider gaming community.

Is this perception deserved? Should "The Nation of EVE" be concerned by its public identity and if so how might that be improved? What influence will the integration of the DUST 514 community have on this culture in the future?

Adiados

Sage
Stratics Veteran
This image comes to mind.

This everyday. A good friend of mine likes to call it "Spreadsheet Online" XD

Now, I played Eve for about 6-10 months total and I personally loved it. The learning curve is too steep and I felt like I was thrown out to fend for myself in the beginning but, after you learn the game the hard way or not, its a wonderful experience and definitely worth the money.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I have never played the title, so I can only respond based on what I've heard. Most descriptions seem to identify EVE as a kind of state of nature, having no order, no rule of law, no security. Thomas Hobbes' description of the state of nature is relevant here: "No arts; no letters; no society; and which is worst of all, continual fear, and danger of violent death: and the life of man, solitary, poor, nasty, brutish and short." To paint it in a more positive light, it might also be viewed as a wild west.

This is the word on the street, anyway.

Vince

Journeyman
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Thank you guys, this gave me a good start.

Keep the responses coming!
Have you ever heard about EVE? What do you remember from what you've heard??

T

Tavor-21

I never really got into playing EVE. It took up too much space on my computer and took too long to download. What I found though, playing the game, was that it was VERY *VERY* open in both space and choices. I liked that and played for a bit. It takes time to play the game, while I'm not saying any MMO game doesn't, the hardest thing was a 7-day free trial and then having to pay subscription fees really bars me from exploring any further and dedicating more time to doing so. I don't have the ability to play under a subscription system even if the game is great, but the content and quality of the community and game do show why EVE has been around for so long.

Hey, that is one reason why I've been with Combat Arms since the OBT around 4 years ago. If there was a system that I could work with to not have to pay every month just to play, then I would highly consider it.

Vince

Journeyman
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
I never really got into playing EVE. It took up too much space on my computer and took too long to download. What I found though, playing the game, was that it was VERY *VERY* open in both space and choices. I liked that and played for a bit. It takes time to play the game, while I'm not saying any MMO game doesn't, the hardest thing was a 7-day free trial and then having to pay subscription fees really bars me from exploring any further and dedicating more time to doing so. I don't have the ability to play under a subscription system even if the game is great, but the content and quality of the community and game do show why EVE has been around for so long.

Hey, that is one reason why I've been with Combat Arms since the OBT around 4 years ago. If there was a system that I could work with to not have to pay every month just to play, then I would highly consider it.

Hi Tavor-21,

While this isn't intended to take the discussion elsewhere, I thought I'd come in an offer some insight.

An alternative paying method is offered through the PLEX program; short for Pilots License Extension.

Players can purchase game time from CCP, convert the game time into an ingame item and place the item on the market in EVE. This means that players can pay for Game Time using ingame currency. Plenty of players have chosen to pay for PLEX for their own accounts, which basically means that they can play the game for free, just by playing EVE and accumulating enough money each month to pay for gametime offered by other players.

Some corporations pay for accounts this way, to make sure that specific characters are available as a corporation asset (think 'guild leaders' - which require training time. Industrial characters, capital pilots and so on...)

While this does require you to be able to earn enough ISK (which is the abbrevation for the Ingame Currency) each month to pay for it, many activities are capable of doing just that.

Recently CCP offered players to purchase Nvidia graphics accelerators with PLEX, and the offer ended after selling out in less than a minute.