• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

When can we expect Linux support?

Kusaha

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I am a huge fan of this game, was playing with it on windows, but I recently changed to Linux, tried to get it to work with Wine, but it wasn't working (no texts).

So I wondering when will be the native Linux support arrive? Really looking forward to it!

Citan

Project: Gorgon Developer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
I'm not really sure. We actually have a Linux version working, and in fact we use a modified version of the Linux client to run part of the game's AI. So I'm sure there will be a Linux version, because we've already done a lot of the work for it.

But the past few versions of the Unity middleware has had a lot of serious Linux bugs, with graphics, GUI input, keyboard focus, all kinds of things that are too low-level for us to work around. A bunch of those issues were fixed recently, so I'll test it out again in a few weeks and see how it's working. I know there are at least a few remaining bugs with text-entry to fix, so it will definitely still be buggy, but it may be "good enough" to be worth showing off.

If it's still very buggy and we can't work around the issues, though, we'll hold off on it until Unity 5 comes out.

Kusaha

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Thank you for the answer, looking forward to it.
If it's not a problem could you share with us the result of the test? (next blog post, or another forum post here) [even if it's unsuccessful]

Citan

Project: Gorgon Developer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Sure thing, will report back here. I hope to do the test this month, because it would be great to have the Linux version available during the Kickstarter next month if possible. So fingers are crossed!