• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Archery] What's your favorite bow type? PvM

sirion

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm about to imbue some bows for my pvm archer, but cant seem to decide what bow type to imbue. Any opinion please, in terms of speed, special moves, damage..etc in PvM.

C

Connor_Graham

I use crossbows and heavy crossbows pretty much exclusively. I like crossbows for the mortal special and the hard and heavy hits. Of course they have to have 30+ SSI.

Thunderz

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Same as Connor i use heavy's, plus if you can afford it enhance after imbuing to bump to 40% SSI. Stats wise i use different things for different jobs e.g for spawn ML, SL, DI, SSI, Hit area.

Thunderz

sirion

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks. I used bow and composite bow mostly. I use paralyze blow sometimes to stop mob chasing me too close; not sure if that's even useful. Armor Ignore and Moving Shots are hard to pass. But I guess I'm more obsessed with the "bow" look.

Would you imbue Velocity? I ran some test and it doesn't seem worth it. How about Balanced? What are the top priority mods of your choice? (For ranged weps, I suppose Stam leech or Hit Lower Attack isn't important here)

C

Connor_Graham

I prefer HML, HSL, HLD, SSI on my bows. With HLD on both my bow and glasses, the odds of it going off are much higher than with just the glasses alone. The only time I use a balanced bow is when soloing peerless.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Comp bow with 50 hit velocity and 50 hit lightning. Because I really have no mana/stamina issues (have some med on my ABC's template), I find the extra damage from the hit spells more useful than hml/hsl.

Val-Tur

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I do not use my archer for normal play. I mainly use my archer for boss type mobs, event mobs, stuff where its better to let a pet with huge hp tank. He really works well for event mobs. This really is not the character I am working on for peerless (that is my sampire).

I have switched exclusively to heavy x-bow, with +40% SSI and +30% HML. Since the form nerf, what I really want is 40% SSI, max HML, max HLL, and cannot decide yet between a spell effect and HLD. I dont have mace and shields on my archer.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I switch around a lot.

Low end fights belong to the yumi. With a slayer property and swing speed increase, I can pretty much one-hit-kill some pretty big things (rune beetle = 2 hits, lich lord = 2 hits, etc)

For group hunts or when I'm on foot (happens a lot!), I like a bow for the higher damage and the cheap arrows (I hunt centaur for the arrows).

For peerless or Doom, I prefer a heavy crossbow. Even one without the slayer does significantly more damage than a repeater crossbow with a slayer.

For PvM, a bow needs everything Connor says it needs.

Shelleybean

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We have similar styles. I use mainly bows and composite bows as well. Paralyzing blow helps when fighting multiple tough monsters or paragons, armor ignore for damage, mortal strike as a finisher for monsters that heal at the end, and moving shot mainly for paragons.

N

NickyDishes

Comp bow with 50 hit velocity and 50 hit lightning. Because I really have no mana/stamina issues (have some med on my ABC's template), I find the extra damage from the hit spells more useful than hml/hsl.
crits from 120 bush with mana leech are better than hit spell or AIs imo.....i beleive youll do more damage overall...

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
crits from 120 bush with mana leech are better than hit spell or AIs imo.....i beleive youll do more damage overall...
Aye, but my toon is an ABC archer/weaver and only has 90 bush, so I critical less often. The upside is I can do a bit more solo, due to gifts of life/renewal, attunement, and tanks (nature's furry). Just a trade-off, I suppose.

R

ReaperNI

when doing guard duty for fel champs my archer like to carry a uzi aka repeater with hit area effect helps clear the crowd.TYR