• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What's Up With KR?

U

uoBuoY

I'm in 2D just fine. Then I attempt to log into KR on 2 accounts and I get "Connection Lost" message? Log back into 2D, no problem.
Anyone else?

It might be a patch issue. The current KR patch is 2.53.0.2 and my client shows 2.50.0.3. Is there any way to "force" a patch update?

M

meridus

Its working fine for me. Although my client shows: 2.53.0.2.

F

Fayled Dhreams

KB (try some)

and .... hmmm
yeah ... your a little behind
uokr_win32_2-50-0-3.rtp ( 813,259,975 bytes )
uokr_win32_2-51-0-3.rtp ( 3,672,286 bytes )
uokr_win32_2-52-0-4.rtp ( 12,038,628 bytes )
uokr_win32_2-53-0-2.rtp ( 3,033,828 bytes )

U

uoBuoY

KB (try some)

and .... hmmm
yeah ... your a little behind
uokr_win32_2-50-0-3.rtp ( 813,259,975 bytes )
uokr_win32_2-51-0-3.rtp ( 3,672,286 bytes )
uokr_win32_2-52-0-4.rtp ( 12,038,628 bytes )
uokr_win32_2-53-0-2.rtp ( 3,033,828 bytes )
Yeah...Okay...I understand I am out-of-date, behind the times and passe...so then HOW DO I GET UP-TO-DATE??? How do become NOW?
How do I "force" my KR patches to be current?
Why is KR being mean to me???

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Check and see if your firewall is blocking the update program.

M

meridus

Try some of this.

http://support.ea.com/cgi-bin/ea.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php?p_cv=&p_pv=2.769&p_prods=7%2C769&p_cats=0&p_hidden_prods=&p_sid=hb94R95j&p_lva=&p_li=&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_page=1&prod_lvl1=7&prod_lvl2=769&prod_lvl3=0&cat_lvl1=0&p_search_text=patch&p_new_search=1

If you have any difficulty receiving an Ultima Online patch, please check and rule out the following possibilities first:

There may have been an isse while the patch was downloading that caused a file to remain in the patch folder. This will cause the patch to fail. To resolve this, locate the Patch folder within the Ultima Online directory on the hard drive and delete any files contained in the folder. Once this is completed, launch the game from the Windows Start menu. This will re-start the patching process.

The PC is infected by the Win32 Spacefiller virus. The particular virus infects certain types of files that are resident in the Ultima Online directory, making them unable to be updated. Search www.download.com for "CIH", which will return results for software designed to specifically detect and remove this virus.

If there is not enough space on the drive, there will be nowhere for the files to go. When the PC is free of all viruses, launch the game from the Windows Start menu; this will re-start the patching process. Ensure that the drive where Ultima Online is installed has plenty of free space, as well as the swap file on C:\.

A poor Internet connection will cause the patch to fail. Run uopatch.exe as many times as necessary to get all required files. Be sure to check the uo\patch folder and delete any files left after each failure as well. You should also run a traceroute to the patcher, compassion.owo.com to determine the quality of the connection. If the connection is chronically poor, you should consider trying an alternate ISP. Click Here to download the UO Trace program.

Playing from a Free Internet service provider (Freeinet, Juno, Netzero, etc...) can cause you to have trouble patching. If you are using one of these and cannot connect, then you will need to uninstall the software, and then reinstall both your dial up networking adapters and your TCP/IP protocols. Please contact your Internet Service Provider for instructions specific to your Internet Service.

Running Background programs in addition to Ultima Online can cause you to have trouble patching. If you are running any programs, please disable them and try to connect again. Background programs include but are not limited to: Real audio Player, ICQ, UOAM, MultiUO, UO Assist, Shockwave, etc.

Playing on America Online or another similar service with the parental controls or internet restrictions active will not allow you to connect. Ultima Online has a Teen Rating, so you will need to configure your settings to allow you to play. For specific instructions on configuring your Parental Controls, please contact your Internet Service Provider directly.

Connecting to Ultima Online from behind a firewall or proxy server that does not have the correct ports open is not possible. This also applies to networks using a LynkSys Router. If this is the case, Click Here for the specific port information.

If the PC is virus free and you have enough space, your connection to the patch server may be suspect. Run a trace and adjust your modem settings. If that doesn't work, try disabling "read-ahead optimization". To do this:
Right-click My Computer, select Properties, and then the Performance tab.
Click File System, and then the Hard Disk tab.
Set Read-ahead optimization to none and reboot.
When the patch completes, you may then re-enable this feature.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you've ruled out all of the above possibilities, and the patch still doesn't succeed, then you should completely uninstall Ultima Online from your machine, run a scan disk and disk defrag on your hard drive, and then reinstall the latest version for which you have a disk. Please follow these steps to do so:

Click on the Start button, go to Settings, and select Control Panel.
Click on the Add / Remove Programs icon.
Find Ultima Online in the list of programs, highlight it, and press the Add / Remove button. If it asks whether you are sure you want to remove the program, click yes. If it prompts you to select either automatic or manual uninstallation, select automatic.

When the uninstall is complete, close all open windows.
Then, click on Start, then Programs, then Windows Explorer.
If the C: drive is not expanded already on the left hand side, click the + symbol next to it to expand it. Locate the folder named Program Files and click the + next to it to expand it.

Locate the folder named UO. Highlight and right-click on it, and then select Delete. If it asks whether you are sure you want to do this, select yes.
After deleting it, close all open windows.
On your desktop, right-click on the recycle bin and select Empty Recycle Bin.
Click Start, Programs, Accessories, and then System Tools. You will see both scan disk and disk defrag listed here. Run both of these.

Finally, insert the Ultima Online disk and reinstall the game.
The latest version of the Ultima Online client can often be found at our FYI announcement board. If you are unable to find the latest client version number there, try checking with other players and see what version number their client shows at the login screen. Your number will match that number if you have the latest client.

L

Loquacious Wrath

Run uopatch.exe in the Ultima KR folder. It doesn't automatically run anymore.

Let me know if this works.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

That's odd, the icon I use for KR hits the patcher ion both my desktop and laptop.

A

Atlantian

Only about 1 in 20 players actually use KR. The main reason is because most of us are old school and we don't want to spend more money for an up grade. :stir:

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Why would I want to go backwards? 2d is simply TOO SMALL in terms of viewability on a 22in widescreen monitor for me.

KR plays well and fits well on my monitor, so why would I want to go back?

K

kennykilleduo

Only about 1 in 20 players actually use KR. The main reason is because most of us are old school and we don't want to spend more money for an up grade. :stir:

Hmm , where did you get those numbers???

L

Loquacious Wrath

:( bummer. Id just stick to 2D
It doesn't make any sense to me why you folks hang on to 2d. I have played since Ultima I on my Commodor 64 then Apple IIe then 386 then 486 then Pentium I then Pentium II and so on. EVERY Ultima had an improvement in the graphics from the prior release. I always looked forward to the better graphics and came to expect it. With better graphics came more floppy disks and higher minimum system requirements.

Just look at my Avatar vs. my signature. The Avatar is from Ultima III and the signature from Ultima IV. In Ultima III you had less colors in the pallet and less terrain variety. In Ultima IV you get deep water, better looking trees, etc. The same goes for Ultima V, even better trees and other graphics. And then came Ultima VI which was a huge leap in graphics. Then Ultima VII came which IMO is basically UO:2d graphics with a little touching up.

Why the heck should UO be any different than the Ultima legacy? Plus, 2d graphics is still possible with the KR client. If you can't run KR, you need to change your computer system. The majority of 3 year or newer computer users have little issue with getting KR to run for the most part.

A

Atlantian

Hmm , where did you get those numbers???
How many people do you know that play KR? I know 1 in 20 and I've been playing for 7 years. The only people that I know of that like KR are OLD 3D players. That's where I got the numbers!!!!!!

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

The UO 2d graphics I believe are mainly touched up U8 graphics, not sure about the engine itself though.

Also, when UO was first released, it would only run on near top-end systems of the time, same with 3d, and KR should be allowed to push newer systems as well, though I do agree that the "bells and whistles" should largely be optional.

All someone needs to run KR smoothly is an AGP slot, a 256 Meg video card (which AGP ones are stupid cheap on Newegg), and a couple of gig of DDR RAM which they should already have if they're running ANY version of Windows more current than Windows 98.

People need to realize that the 2d client is NOT going to bring in any new blood. It's simply too old to do so. The 3d client woudn't have either because aside from a few aspects (and this coming from a 3d client defender), the 3d client wasn't enough of an upgrade from 2d. The KR client has the ability to bring in new UO blood if it is given more attention and the issues that have been reported are addressed.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

How many people do you know that play KR? I know 1 in 20 and I've been playing for 7 years.

Translation: I made them up.

L

Lord Richard

I always thought the best way to fix KR was to hit the START/Control panel/add remove programs/UOKR, then remove program....*wanders off grumbling something about being banned*

A

Atlantian

It doesn't make any sense to me why you folks hang on to 2d. I have played since Ultima I on my Commodor 64 then Apple IIe then 386 then 486 then Pentium I then Pentium II and so on. EVERY Ultima had an improvement in the graphics from the prior release. I always looked forward to the better graphics and came to expect it. With better graphics came more floppy disks and higher minimum system requirements.

Just look at my Avatar vs. my signature. The Avatar is from Ultima III and the signature from Ultima IV. In Ultima III you had less colors in the pallet and less terrain variety. In Ultima IV you get deep water, better looking trees, etc. The same goes for Ultima V, even better trees and other graphics. And then came Ultima VI which was a huge leap in graphics. Then Ultima VII came which IMO is basically UO:2d graphics with a little touching up.

Why the heck should UO be any different than the Ultima legacy? Plus, 2d graphics is still possible with the KR client. If you can't run KR, you need to change your computer system. The majority of 3 year or newer computer users have little issue with getting KR to run for the most part.
And why should I change My computer system? You and your 3 year or newer system is full of it! Who do you work for? Bill Gates himself? If you want to support that POS then go ahead.

L

Loquacious Wrath

And why should I change My computer system? You and your 3 year or newer system is full of it! Who do you work for? Bill Gates himself? If you want to support that POS then go ahead.
You should in an act of support for UO. The only way to stay running is to attract new players. You should be willing to spend money on a new computer just like you should be willing to spend $20 per month instead of what you pay now. Whatever it takes to keep UO going should be everyones attitude! Holding UO back just because people are used to and like 2d graphics is selfish.

A

Atlantian

You should in an act of support for UO. The only way to stay running is to attract new players. You should be willing to spend money on a new computer just like you should be willing to spend $20 per month instead of what you pay now. Whatever it takes to keep UO going should be everyones attitude! Holding UO back just because people are used to and like 2d graphics is selfish.
Do you own interest in EA? Or maybe Windows? Or even gateway? Maybe even Microsoft? Do the intials FO mean anything to you? I support UO everyday by paying them for the service I receive. You telling me, however that I should pay more is BS!

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

So what happens when Microsoft removes support for older versions of Windows and your hardware won't run the new ones?

Regardless of upgrading to support UO or not, it's generally a good idea to keep your systems reasonably upgraded for MANY more reasons (both hardware AND software related) than just UO.

Lady-Tor

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I play on a laptop, there is no way im going to try again to install KR. Just not going to happen. No im not going to buy a new computer just for this hobbie of mine.

Bring back EM's