• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What's the point of no recall or SJ?

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you can't recall or sacred journey around, then why allow gate travel?

Only mages can freely travel around Siege.

I mean either allow travel by magic or don't.

What's a straight dexxor supposed to do. Waste 78 points on magery to use gate scrolls? Pretty lame.

Ya need at minimum 58 magery for gate scrolls to work 50%.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think, the difference between Recall, SJ and Gate Travel is, that the last is far more vulnerable, takes longer time, does not always let you travel in the first attempts and you can be followed by a PK, for example. Enough reasons to make a difference, just my humble opinion.

Tanager

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Many people think they are safe when they cast a gate. They get careless and gate from inside their public house, or they gate from a guardzone to a dungeon or a home. This creates opportunities for a watchful PvPer on a PvP shard. Recall and SJ, however, make it far too easy to simply zip away when action strikes. And even though Siege does allow gating, it prevents it from Ilshenar, The Lost Lands, Eodon, and inside dungeons. A wary hunter must always be aware of escape routes. That being said, many travel items have been added over the years that make it much easier for a non mage (or a freshly rezzed naked mage) to get around.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It boils down to a gate can be used by anyone for several seconds, so you can be followed and the situation continues. Recall or sacred journey is a solo venture. that means if you get it cast, you have escaped the situation.

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Simple fix. Make Gate Travel on Siege a Second Circle spell. Adjust the time to cast somehow. Change to add gate travel scrolls to runebooks instead of recall scrolls.

With that. Non-mages can get around and all the same affects you'll are talking about are still there.

I don't want it for escaping I wanna be able to get everywhere I wanna get to without having to run there.

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OR, even less complicated than my first idea.

Make Sacred Journey a gate travel spell that works exactly like magery Gate Travel.

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
no fix needed for this. these days it is easier than it ever has been for non-mages to get around on Siege.

there are tons of public crystal portals, corrupted crystal portals, serpent's jaw bones, eodon crystals and public hubs with tele tiles. Every single dungeon in the game is linked to at least one of the hubs and you will rarely have to run more than 1 screen to get to whatever destination. If your house is out in the middle of nowhere you can link it to the Britain hub for easy access for example, or if it is close to a shore line you can place a galleon, mark a rune there and gate to it with 0 magery!

recall and sacred journey are absolutely not necessary to get around on Siege. As with so many aspects of Siege life, it is just different from prodo.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Yeah, once you figure out the Hub system, getting around on Siege is easy. I can get anywhere fairly quickly with no magery. Not having recall and SJ makes it much harder for my marks to escape.

I do understand your concern as it took about a month of exploration to figure out how to get around efficiently. On production, I never knew where I was because I could just recall to wherever I wanted to go. Siege requires you to be a bit more aware of your surroundings. All in all, I like it much better.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It boils down to a gate can be used by anyone for several seconds, so you can be followed and the situation continues. Recall or sacred journey is a solo venture. that means if you get it cast, you have escaped the situation.
Try following me through my gate, to my personal ship set for only me, and see if you're successful. The same people who say please leave gating to ships alone, are the same ones that say don't let Siege have free vendor travel. Both can be equally abused, and allow for insta escape, so the logic behind it is flawed.

TheDrAJ

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I wouldnt mind turning SJ into A GATE SPELL on Siege if you uped the skill requirement to cast to be exactly the same as the mage gate with the same delays etc.
However, think of the programming required on a change only for Siege and you will quickly realize that their is no chance for this ever to be implemented.

I would like to see gate spell scrolls in rune books (like recalls) but requiring the same level of skill to cast as a scroll.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Anyone who uses the ship gate "trick" also knows its also cast at FC4, not sure why that was coded that way. As for Chiv, I made a post a while back saying Chivalry needs a Sacred Pathway spell, the equivalent of gate,with a nice Pure White gate color.

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
you can also gate to a boat 100% of the time (no fail) no matter how much magery you have.
so get yourself a place near water, drop a boat down and you can gate till your hearts content.
I never knew that. Is that just on Siege?

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
However, think of the programming required on a change only for Siege and you will quickly realize that their is no chance for this ever to be implemented.
Depending upon how well written and organized the code is, it could be as easy as a simple Gosub gatetravel, instead of Gosub sacredjourney.

Bo Bo

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We don't get a lot of Dev attention around here and simply that isn't an issue.
what you should be focused on is
passive reveal is NOT turned on here, passive reveal/detect is active on all other shards and it should be here. There is no counter to a smart stealther.
1 blessed item is not enough in todays UO
5x prices is a joke our economy isn't an issue
script farmers (in todays land mass it is becoming harder to find them) what is being done bout them
that is just a few issues off the top of bo's head.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
passive reveal is NOT turned on here, passive reveal/detect is active on all other shards and it should be here. There is no counter to a smart stealther.
I'll be the first to tell you that I take full advantage of this, and strangely, I agree with the Bo here. I think that there should be passive detect but it should require Detect Hidden skill, maybe 1 tile per 20 points. You shouldn't get it automatically just for choosing to be an elf. Maybe 1 automatic tile for being elf would be ok. 120 stealth and the shadow ninja mastery counters this quite well. Also, detect hidden should not work on guildmates. I hate that I can't use it when I have guildmates around as it would be a violation of the code to reveal them.