• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What's it all about?

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I think some of the suggestions are really fun, but we have to lower expectations to what they can actually code and what they can actually get to work without breaking other stuff in the process....
I laughed out loud at this, no joke.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Well, it's half-way through March now and we still have no idea what it's all about....any clues from DAoC forums? Have they had any announcements of big plans/endeavours?

TheGrimReefer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lets see, we have had themes dealing with Pagan, Titans, and Fellowship. According to UO Lore Next should be the Guardians.

And please NO ORC RACE. If you want to put in a new race, Choose something that no one else has done. Orcs and Gobblins are overrated, Minotaurs or Centaurs, been done before. Gargoyles got old quick.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't think a new race would bring UO to a large new audience, the only things that would realistically do that would be a huge graphics upgrade and/or Steam launch. But those aren't realistic to actually happen, so I don't know.

Quickblade

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Steam lunch with a new shard would be awesome , exempt of scripters, cheats and new ecnomy no transfer, no im not talking of Siege perilous, just a fresh OSI restart .. .can I dream ? :p

Dryzzid of Atlantic

Lore Master
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My guess is a new expansion involving the Guardian and/or maybe Serpent Isle

Why I think this:

1) They said their biggest thing in a decade. Approximately a decade ago was when the last proper expansion (SA) was released.

2) All of their story arcs over the past three years are using parts that in Ultima Lore were involved with the Guardian. The 20th anniversary arc in 2017 had the Titans from Pagan (they came to us instead of us going to Pagan). The Fellowship was created by the Guardian to create strife in Britannia. These arcs seem to be building up to something.

3) We've seen all of the other Ultima baddies. Minax, Exodus, Blackthorn... nothing left but the Guardian.

No proof here of course, just my two cents.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There is no new race. They are going sell the game on Steam. They had a toon dressed as an Orc in a screenshot for the new mount. Probably will bring a few new players because if we are stuck at home for 8 weeks you gotta do something.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It's the Hokey Pokey - That's what it's all about.....

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
But, seriously, better than even chance that whatever was in the works might be delayed or canceled due to COVID-19 affecting workplaces.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
But, seriously, better than even chance that whatever was in the works might be delayed or canceled due to COVID-19 affecting workplaces.
Sometimes it seems they prefer to meet those deadlines no matter what.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
been a long while hope all is well
Yeah all is good, whilst i dont play any longer due to "management direction" i still keep 1 eye on UO in hope.
Hope all those around Brit bank are well and that old castle and contents were enjoyed

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They don't write code from a factory, they can easily do it from home.

swroberts

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
EA announced a partnership with valve,

Broadsword has been wanting to bring UO to steam... EA wouldn't give permission... So now seems like permission might have been given...

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I lean towards agreeing with several of others about the reality of moving UO to Steam... how many people are really going to be interested in starting a 20+ year old game from scratch (with the graphics etc) when there are so many other options out there? They will need to put together some type of killer starter pack on the cheap if they want to have a chance...

Cymidei

UO Pacific News Reporter
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
They could also be bringing this back. lol.
Let's just say that didn't age well! Crazy devs, let's make sure that all the mobs can break dance and beat box hyper realistically...because that's what the players want!

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I lean towards agreeing with several of others about the reality of moving UO to Steam... how many people are really going to be interested in starting a 20+ year old game from scratch (with the graphics etc) when there are so many other options out there? They will need to put together some type of killer starter pack on the cheap if they want to have a chance...
It's just us UO fans thinking it's a decision made revolving UO. Decisions were likely made around DaoC or even higher at EA and UO/Broadsword just has to follow along.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I haven't been playing for a while. So whatever it is, I hope it is interesting and gets me back in. A new shard with some sort of extra security against cheating would be ideal.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Let's just say that didn't age well! Crazy devs, let's make sure that all the mobs can break dance and beat box hyper realistically...because that's what the players want!
Well, Fortnite seems to prove that SOME segment of the gaming community at large wants that, given that its makers are raking in the money with the dance emote microtransactions....

Maximus Neximus

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, Fortnite seems to prove that SOME segment of the gaming community at large wants that, given that its makers are raking in the money with the dance emote microtransactions....
Animations, skins, and dyes are what they should be selling in the store. Purely cosmetic items that aren't expensive so people will be encouraged to buy them.

Cymidei

UO Pacific News Reporter
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
Yeah that's true enough, good point! Still those are micro-transactions, not the main selling points of the game. I have to admit I like how the characters peer fearfully around with their torches in the beginning, it has a classic Ultima/D&D feel to it but the rest of it is just *cringe*

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
So now it looks like we won't get 'the big announcement' until after 109 in July...

We are currently working hard on Publish 109 which we are planning a worldwide release in July. We have talked about new tool upgrades that will be included for Event Moderators in Publish 109 which will offer us exciting new ways to deliver content. We are also preparing new rewards for seasonal favorites like Halloween, our 23rd Anniversary, and more! Keep an eye on UO.com for our TC release schedule, we look forward to your feedback!

Once we release Publish 109 we will be full steam ahead on our next project - we know you are excited to know what we have in store for Ultima Online and we are excited to share it with you! Keep an eye out for this big announcement!

JohnnyO

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So now it looks like we won't get 'the big announcement' until after 109 in July...

We are currently working hard on Publish 109 which we are planning a worldwide release in July. We have talked about new tool upgrades that will be included for Event Moderators in Publish 109 which will offer us exciting new ways to deliver content. We are also preparing new rewards for seasonal favorites like Halloween, our 23rd Anniversary, and more! Keep an eye on UO.com for our TC release schedule, we look forward to your feedback!

Once we release Publish 109 we will be full steam ahead on our next project - we know you are excited to know what we have in store for Ultima Online and we are excited to share it with you! Keep an eye out for this big announcement!
A subtle hint maybe?

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Hmm yes you could think that was a hint, but knowing Mesanna it probably has nothing to do with the announcement, maybe it was meant as a joke, but I didn't think she was much of a joker. Also She was asked straight out if UO was going to Steam and she gave a definite 'NO', so for that to be true she flat out lied, very publicly. If it is just Steam there will be a huge number of very disappointed people!

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Wow that's old! Mesanna, Taylor, Petra Fyde, Tia and not sure about the other guy, Dariuas, I don't think I know him...so that phone app must be really complicated then, like the account management revamp.
I'm not sure though how much would work would be needed to make UO okay for Steam, I would think a lot more than they would have time or inclination for, New Player Experience, necessary gameplay information updated and available in-game, the quest systems need to be overhauled and be consistent and also NPC interaction needs to be consistent. I suppose if that's all they are doing this year it might work.