• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Whats a good pvp ninja stealth thief build?

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Any thief template starts with 5 primary skills that are pretty much essential:

Snooping
Stealing
Ninjitsu
Hiding
Stealth

After that you can choose one or two skills as secondary. Here are some suggestions:

Poisoning (my personal favorite)
Fencing
Swords
Tracking
Detect Hidden
Wrestling
Archery
Tactics
Healing
Anatomy

Keep in mind that this is a thief build, not a PvP build, the goal is to get the item and run away. A lot of people want to be able to steal then stand their ground and fight. It doesn't work like that.

Personally, I find thieving is most fun on Siege. I wouldn't bother with it anywhere else.

Last edited:

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
...then why does your two secondary skills include offensive abilities?
It's fairly important to have a combat ability (wrestling, fencing, or swords) for the added protection against melee attackers. Hopefully with one of these, a melee attack won't hit every time and without one a dexxer is going to land every hit. With only 2 of these you aren't going to be able to go toe to toe with any PvPer, you're going to get killed every single time. All of these abilities are not necessarily offensive with the exception of tactics which you'd only run with a combat skill if you were going to go that route. You could kill something with it, but not a seasoned PvPer. It's more for getting in that cheap kill on someone when they're already red lined.

Cork

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I am currently running the following Thief build. I'm in the process of working up detect hidden on him. I carry a Smuggler's Edge with best weapon skill so you can run any melee skill you like with it. I run 60 necro for wraith form to be able to cast recall without having magery and to not lose stam when walking through people in Fel. It's just a convenience that you could do without and just use charges in a runebook.

Skills-rares.JPG

Last edited:

Surly

Adventurer
Out of curiosity, why not magery as one of the last two skills? I figured you could do a 100% reagent suit and not have to worry about losing them if you die.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Out of curiosity, why not magery as one of the last two skills? I figured you could do a 100% reagent suit and not have to worry about losing them if you die.
You could do magery, it's just not my thing. Really, you could do anything with those last 2 skills as long as you remember that the goal is to escape. Magery and wrestling might be a good option.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Pete did well at summarizing. My thief has the 5 skills he has listed (Snoop/stealing/hiding/stealth/ninja) along with wrestling/magery. There is a ton of stealth gear out there that is widely available that I use to boost my stealth to 120 (real skill is 40 but with items I'm 120) so that I can add skill points other places. I don't currently use the burglar bandana but I'm thinking about working it into my suit for the extra 30 skill points because it would basically give me enough points for an entire other skill.

A combat skill at 120 is a must IMO and wrestling synergizes with stealing since your hand has to be free anyway... this allows you to avoid getting hit while still trying to steal something. You also will want 45 DCI. This makes your thief very hard to hit and allows you more chances to steal an item while being attacked. Magery is good to help your defense by healing/curing/invising etc to get away and only requires 1 skill instead of healing/anatomy.

The only caveat with all this, as others have mentioned, is that there isn't much worthwhile to steal these days with the addition of LRC/bandaid belt/quiver/insurance/etc.

Cork

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The only caveat with all this, as others have mentioned, is that there isn't much worthwhile to steal these days with the addition of LRC/bandaid belt/quiver/insurance/etc.
I now use mine as a Sigil thief in VvV towns. That's about as close as I come to using stealing anymore.