• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What would you like to see in UO endless journey vs Paid account(s)

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I personally would like to see it being a big success. Would be awesome if they could draw in 5 times as much free players than subscribers. Banks would be full again. Dungeons full. Random players in the woods. And even if those free accounts only spent 20% of what subscribers pay monthly, they would still double the money incoming.

But that would need EJ to be a huge fun for everybody trying it. Not getting told on every occasion how second class they are. And lets not talk about marketing :( At the moment I doubt it will gain any traction at all, but maybe I'm wrong.

Last edited:

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I can imagine all unlimited ej account bot vacuum idoc stuff. They will kill this feature.
Yea, and the solution to it is simple: Don't allow them to pickup stuff at IDOCs or get near them. But it's certainly not "Lock them on an lonely island" aka "Let them only travel one facet" or "Let them only travel haven" and what nonsense comes up regularly when greed kicks in at an IDOC.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I agree, there has to be some kind of middle ground here, we all want this game to continue and it won't if we keep losing players year after year. I'm not sure the extended free trial is the best way to combat this problem, but at least if it's advertised we might get a few people to take another look, totally new players I'm not so sure about... But nostalgia will only go so far. If people are made to feel completely unwelcome and unwanted they will find something else to play, there's no shortage of free games nowadays! :confused:

Caitlyn Snow

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
@petemage what I don’t think you realize here is that you are talking about genuine new and returning players. The reason people like @MalagAste and I are so heavily leaned towards tough restrictions is because we are often affected by those people who cheat. You see the the restrictions as harmful to new players. We see them as ways to deter the scripters from creating 50+ free accounts, and sitting somewhere with a script running farming *insert item here* to sell for RL profit.
Your rudeness and your ignorance of basic talking points is quite unbecoming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okami

Visitor
I personally would like to see it being a big success. Would be awesome if they could draw in 5 times as much free players than subscribers. Banks would be full again. Dungeons full. Random players in the woods. And even if those free accounts only spent 20% of what subscribers pay monthly, they would still double the money incoming.

But that would need EJ to be a huge fun for everybody trying it. Not getting told on every occasion how second class they are. And lets not talk about marketing :( At the moment I doubt it will gain any traction at all, but maybe I'm wrong.
This is an inherent problem with the cash shop in game as is. Everythings fairly overpriced to attract any money from anyone doing a F2P model.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@petemage what I don’t think you realize here is that you are talking about genuine new and returning players. The reason people like @MalagAste and I are so heavily leaned towards tough restrictions is because we are often affected by those people who cheat. You see the the restrictions as harmful to new players. We see them as ways to deter the scripters from creating 50+ free accounts, and sitting somewhere with a script running farming *insert item here* to sell for RL profit.
Your rudeness and your ignorance of basic talking points is quite unbecoming.

Restrictions yes, what is proposed......... Sorry if a was a new or returning player I would be gone in 48 hours or less. It is overly restrictive, overly complex and does not even have a hint of interest generating fun woven into it. Of course a lot might change between then and release assuming it actually comes to pass and is not more vapor.

Caitlyn Snow

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Restrictions yes, what is proposed......... Sorry if a was a new or returning player I would be gone in 48 hours or less. It is overly restrictive, overly complex and does not even have a hint of interest generating fun woven into it. Of course a lot might change between then and release assuming it actually comes to pass and is not more vapor.
I didn’t say I was in favor of what everyone was asking for in this thread. Just that restrictions should be in place. I know I have an account I’ll be setting up for EJ so I can make a crafter. I refuse to use character slots for a crafter because I don’t own many soul stones. With an EJ account I can multiple crafters so I don’t have this issue. Would it be better to not do so? Yes. But financially I’m not in a place to buy 4or5 soul stones just for my crafter skills. I can still store the resources in my house that I have on my PAID account and draw them out on a paid character and drop them to EJ. I’m about efficiency because of time and monetary restrictions.
However I don’t wanna see people using script bots running around and farming stuff and selling for insane prices. I’m not a fan of scripting or cheating at all. EJ has so many holes that will allow for this. While I do encourage loose enough reigns that new and returns can have fun, the sad fact is that this is what this greed driven community has come to.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
However I don’t wanna see people using script bots running around and farming stuff and selling for insane prices.
You mean like it has been for pretty much forever now? and every measure put in place to deter scripting only making it so the scripters are interested in doing it.

Caitlyn Snow

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
You mean like it has been for pretty much forever now? and every measure put in place to deter scripting only making it so the scripters are interested in doing it.
This is true. But that doesn’t mean it should be made any easier for them.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Taking a page out of the Siege book might be a good idea to limit scripting by EJ accts. Disable recall and SJ on the EJ accts every resource scripter I see uses a recall script on prodo shards either to a out of the way bank or to a house with the multi million stone box on the porch. On Siege it is quite different and the scripters are limited to rails and gates, well and no shortage of people that will kill them on sight. Take recall and SJ away and you seriously deter scripting. Allow the use of tele tiles, crystal portals etc and all ow them to be friended to one house (not Co owned). If they script they are limited to doing so via rails at the house or to a bank and are then very easy to track and report. Or LOL keep EJ accounts in Fel where scripters can have justice delivered via the players.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Taking a page out of the Siege book might be a good idea to limit scripting by EJ accts. Disable recall and SJ on the EJ accts every resource scripter I see uses a recall script on prodo shards either to a out of the way bank or to a house with the multi million stone box on the porch. On Siege it is quite different and the scripters are limited to rails and gates, well and no shortage of people that will kill them on sight. Take recall and SJ away and you seriously deter scripting. Allow the use of tele tiles, crystal portals etc and all ow them to be friended to one house (not Co owned). If they script they are limited to doing so via rails at the house or to a bank and are then very easy to track and report. Or LOL keep EJ accounts in Fel where scripters can have justice delivered via the players.
I kinda like this idea... also would promote learning the lay of the land...

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I kinda like this idea... also would promote learning the lay of the land...
Super cool idea, because noone on siege has ever used scripts designed for their shard. When i played siege people used gate script miners.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
EJ should have a character limit.
Should not be able to obtain Event Items.
Should not be able to obtain Holiday Items.
Should not be able to own or even use houses. All houses should be private to them.
Should not accumulate account age.
It should have reduced bank storage.

That's it for me. Anything more would mean that I wouldn't want to even do it and I doubt I'd be able to get others to do it.

Also, outside of the EJ, one should be able to purchase account age or vet rewards.

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This argument is what is going to be a real issue for the EJ idea. Basically its a double-edged sword, not enough restrictions and tons of scripters will end up causing lots of issues, too many restrictions and its not worth playing the game. Then the devs saying multi-boxing will be illegal after it comes out is also too late to stop the problem. The game has to have some form of proper control before EJ comes out, and since the devs wont monitor the massive cheating now, I don't see how they are going to do it afterwards. There is a lot of issues that need to be cleaned up for the game itself before taking on a potential influx of players. If somehow they manage to double or even triple the playerbase with EJ, how are they going to have time to take care of these issues. They have a hard time with the current population doing their jobs. I just don't see how this is going to help the game at this point, too many other problems for this to be a success.