• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What would you do?

Would you?

• Log out immediately

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • Form a protest group, to stop the shut down

Votes: 20 16.1%
  • Take a break from all MMORPGs

Votes: 17 13.7%
  • Start researching your next online addiction

Votes: 18 14.5%
  • Play the last 30 days enjoying the game while it lasts

Votes: 55 44.4%
  • Move to a non EA supported Ultima Online server

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • UD

Votes: 7 5.6%

• Total voters

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If EA/Mythic sent out a 30 day server shut down notice for all Ultima Online shards this afternoon?...la

H

Hunters Moon

I would reopen my WoW account. Ohhh...its a poll...UD is the only real answer.

legendsguy

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i think i'm due for a long break anyhow. mebbe try out this whole real world thing.. see what all the hype is about.

L

Lord Drakelord

Continue to play till they closed the doors and turned off the light, then fine a free shard that was still in 2d.

K

kennykilleduo

If they wont market it , they should at least do some kind of shard consolidation.." Ohh wait , that will never happen" :stir:

L

love2winalot

hehe, You just know some people would take screen shots, and sell their accounts to someone who did not know the game was ending in a few weeks...:lol:

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If it were a 60 day notice. Would people pay to play the last month, or would you drop the game before they took the money out of your credit card?...la

S

Solikos

Probably (try to) quit gaming for the time being... One of the reasons I came back to UO is my computer is absolute junk (and the more I try to fix it, the junkier it becomes)... UO 2D is about the only game that it actually runs well.

Regardless, I've got enough crap to do with my schedule; I really shouldn't be playing anyway... But I am a gamer at heart, what can I say.

In all reality that means I would break down, quit my job, move to the states for a better connection, dump my girl friend, quit Japanese and swim classes, stop working out, buy a brand new machine, order a pizza and play one of the newer releases.

:popcorn:

~ Solikos

Redxpanda

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I already deactivated my accounts so i would just sit back and watch the fireworks fly.

F

Fayled Dhreams

:cool: Had to vote "UnDecided" ... not enough options, no coverage for other "life crisis" occuring at same time ...
metor approach/impact ... sick pet ... nuclear attack ...

Depends on the prevailing winds at the time ...

otherwise:thumbup: good poll.

K

Kith Kanan

cancel all accounts before they could cash in the last month , then put in stupid help calls on all my accounts on all toons to annoy as many GM's as possible .......... Then I would go get a tatoo to remind me never to buy any EA releated shid EVER , followed up by popping by some local EA shops to punch the staff in the nose just for fun :party: :gun: :party:

Jirel of Joiry

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would protest, and try to get a legal injunction to temporarily stop the shut down. Then I woud try to organize a group of player-investors to buy Ultima Online so that we could own the game. I believe that 10+ year vetran players deserve that much.

Those vet players have put up with waaay more than most of us. I think that in many ways we have a good a shot as any to buy Ultima Online.

If we kept the subscription price at 12.99 per month we would generate enough capitial to continue to sustain the game.

Honestly if we wanted to be buttheads right now we have (IMHO) a decent case against them for lack of service. I mean we have put with cheats, hackers, and NO CUSTOMER SERVICE what so ever. I've seen posts in U-hall about people getting locked out their accounts because of errors, glitches,etc. Accounts getting hacked and EA DOING NOTHING to help the players. Hell, you can't even get in game customer service anymore just GM-Bot 3000!

I honestly believe that UO could thrive in the hands of the players, but then again I've been wrong before too.

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
nice thought, Jirel, but I think there's far too many chiefs around here ;)

I'd play 'til the end, let my pony Honesty out in a safe meadow then head home and watch the world collapse

Magdalene

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just hope it would be something like a server war for a month.

G

Gwendar-SP

That is a hard one. I certainly would never play/buy another EA product.

I

Inspector

What's with these thread's? I don't really get it UO has been around since 97 and EA gets its 10-13 dollars a month per account, its a great game and still has alot of players(Granted not nearly as many as there used to be) but I don't see why anybody would think that they would shut it down. Its a great game and many will continue to pay to play for quiet some time and as long as the paychecks keep rolling in for them I can guess that they aren't going to stop until it no longer is profitable. And even if they did that, I am sure that they would consolidate shards and whatnot first. The major unsanctioned shard costs about 5 grand a month to run(the owner has said so on a few occasions) so thats just 500 accounts. I am betting at least 500 people play on just the atlantic shard, and probably most of the north american servers.
Anyways I don't know where I am going with this but I am sure we will have way more than a month notice that there is no more EA/UO.

J

Joyous2K

Do research on other MMORPGs.

I really hope they consolidate shards first.

legendsguy

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would protest, and try to get a legal injunction to temporarily stop the shut down. Then I woud try to organize a group of player-investors to buy Ultima Online so that we could own the game. I believe that 10+ year vetran players deserve that much.

Those vet players have put up with waaay more than most of us. I think that in many ways we have a good a shot as any to buy Ultima Online.

If we kept the subscription price at 12.99 per month we would generate enough capitial to continue to sustain the game.

Honestly if we wanted to be buttheads right now we have (IMHO) a decent case against them for lack of service. I mean we have put with cheats, hackers, and NO CUSTOMER SERVICE what so ever. I've seen posts in U-hall about people getting locked out their accounts because of errors, glitches,etc. Accounts getting hacked and EA DOING NOTHING to help the players. Hell, you can't even get in game customer service anymore just GM-Bot 3000!

I honestly believe that UO could thrive in the hands of the players, but then again I've been wrong before too.
this whole thing is QFT

AEowynSP

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Get on the phone demanding my refund since all my accounts are billed in 6 month increments.

F

Flora Green

If EA/Mythic sent out a 30 day server shut down notice for all Ultima Online shards this afternoon?...la
I chose "Play the last 30 days enjoying the game while it lasts", but I would actually cancel and play what few days were left on my account. During that time I would just trash any and everything that doesn't matter to me. I would put on my wedding ring, place my husband's in my backpack along with a few other things that have sentimental value and just walk around the lands one last time taking some screenshots. Then I would get comfy at my favorite inn and log out. Anyone I would want to say goodbye to I can do in ICQ or here.

I don't play much anymore and I have little hope for the future of this game. It would be a bittersweet ending. Four years ago it would have been very sad.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
What would I do??? Well..... I'd join a protest and try to help buy the rights to UO from EA and help run the thing ourselves...... I guess I would become the GM I always wanted to be..... Dunno...... GM/EM/Councilor..... Something like that... Then when we had the rights make it like it should be.... and have an RP shard... with no NPC's.... No towns.... Unless players make them..... would be neat.. Anyway.... it's a dream..... but NO I wouldn't up and go to a "free shard" or anything like that..... and likely I'd be done giving EA my money..... Which means I wouldn't buy another EA game at all.... No Sims, nothing...

And if we couldn't buy the rights to UO..... then probably I'd be done with online gaming.... as there really is nothing else out at present that even comes close to UO for me..... I can't see myself playing WoW EVER ..... can't ever see myself playing LoTRO.... and I sure as heck would never play Star Wars.... And I doubt my pc could handle most that stuff anyway....

So there you have it..... UO or nothing. And just incase your wondering ..... I'll be on GL till the server draws it's last bit of electricity..... Till the last and final spark.

Please click the egg/hatchling and help my dragons grow.

G

galefan2004

I'll play this game till the servers go dark, and then I'll probably go to play WoW.

E

Eslake

The idea of players buying out UO sounds neat, but can't happen.
EA doesn't own all the rights to it to sell it to anyone, RG still holds some of the rights.

That aside, I would probably go to work making a new game. I keep playing these things and thinking "why the heck do they do that?!" So many of them making the same very stupid mistakes and overlooking the most obvious loopholes in how they create things. (black holing, dupe xfers, etc)

I would rather travel, but since I can't do that and would probably go insane having to deal with another dev team's stupid mistakes,... yeah making a completely new game sounds pretty good. :p

Krystal

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd play till the end, and hope they would change thier minds!
most likely give up gaming... if i did play another game I'd make sure it wasn't run by EA!!

Arcus

Grand Poobah
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would protest, and try to get a legal injunction to temporarily stop the shut down.

LOL. Legal injunction. While I dont agree with EA on a lot fo things, this mindset and idea is absurd. What gives YOU the right to tell a company what is best for them?
Here's a hint, it is NOT because you are a customer.

If a sandwich shop where you buy diner often decides to stop selling a sandwich you like are you going to get a legal injunction? Ugh.

Laughable.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd accept that. I can live without UO. Even though it is the best game I ever played. I won't play any other MMORPG, cause I already tried that and recognized that no other MMORPG is like UO.

Although the scenario of EA shutting down UO is highly hypothetical, all attempts from players to prevent this would, of course, be void. I'd neither join a protest, nor would I go to a player-run shard.

One day in the future, I guess another MMORPG will see the light of day, that has similar depth and better graphics. At least, that's what I hope.

the 4th man

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I played an EA game until it's demise, no big deal.....UO would be the last too.
btw way what in Gods name is "la"?

Surgeries

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I played an EA game until it's demise, no big deal.....UO would be the last too.
btw way what in Gods name is "la"?
Hehehe.

I am with you on the playing until the demise.

I am thinking that Rico took singing lessons...or saw the Sound of Music...and that was the only bit that stuck..."la...la...la...la."...Ugh.

So tiresome, and utterly meaningless.

:mf_prop: