• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What would you do?

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They may not have been able to... In order to change the email you have to know the "Secret word"... He/She might not know that.
I am fairly positive that if they are paying for the account they can log in to add gametime/cc info. so all they would have to do is log in to ea account management with the same info and change the email in the "about me" section.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am fairly positive that if they are paying for the account they can log in to add gametime/cc info. so all they would have to do is log in to ea account management with the same info and change the email in the "about me" section.
Yep, just changed emails on a secondary account to an unused one this way. no secret word requuired

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I wondered the same thing, why would you get an account you know had belonged to someone else and not change the password? I have changed the passwords on all the accounts I inherited from family and friends. I didn't need to know any secret words to do it either.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"What would you do"?

Probably the most telling question ever asked on these forums.

The responses ... a mixture of compassion and do-uche-baggery.

Symptomatic of these forums and more importantly the people who post.

Enough said.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Ethics are subjective. As for "current owner" who's to say they got it legit? The compassion group is making assumptions. I pay a lot of money for my accounts to have all the expansions and boosters when I activate them. If I leave some strewn behind in a couple years of going away and want to recover them, I will.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Back when they went to this master account nonsense, two of my master accounts inherited accounts that I did not create and had never heard of. On those two strange accounts I could change the PWs etc . One was an active acct the other a dormant. The active was obviously just a trash house holder acct. it had nothing of value on it or in the bank, but did have a 18x18 atlantic dirt plot. So I send the usual this is messed up report and got the usual zero response. And ended up closing the acct as it was attached to my billing info. Any way that account has sat dormant under one of my master accts for a lot of years now. (No not on any of the master accts I gave away when I quit :) ) Wonders if your account got pinned under someone elses master acct and they just changed the PW and ran with it?

Dryzzid of Atlantic

Lore Master
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think you did the right thing, friend. Ownership aside, that player worked hard for that castle I'm sure. It was good of you to let them keep the account.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I think you did the decent thing, you can rest easy knowing you were not nasty to someone else, but to be honest you have no idea if the other person was telling the truth. In this situation it's very hard to know how many times that account has been sold over the years. I actually agree with @Lore which is not something I thought I would ever do....who knows how the current owner got the account?! It's still possible they were the one who 'sold' it to you. The fact that nobody who bought the account changed the password is a bit perplexing though. What I take from this is that you are a good person and you wouldn't hurt someone else over something that meant nothing to you. Seems weird though that the account is still connected to your e-mail.