• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What would be a better choice

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've got a scribe mage, and I'm adding necro to his template. Right now he's got 85 resist and it's locked.

I'm wondering what would be in his best interest, Resist or Focus? I would like to have my mana regenerate. Suit building aside, what do you think would benefit the template the most?

Here's what I'm working at right now

110 Magery
110 Meditation
110 Eval
100 Inscription
100 Necromancy
100 Spirit Speak

Total 630

That leaves me with another 90 points to play with. I can't decide if I should drop them into resist or focus. Which would be a better choice? Or is there something that would work better than either of those?

S

Sir Kenga

Personally i would (and did) add magery eval and meditation and SS, drop resist, and put what's left in focus.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

I think you should drop med to 100 and have 100 resist. Focus is completely pointless.

Wraith form - leeches back mana.
Lich form - 13 mana regen.
Shadow wisps - mana restoration.
Dark wolfs - stam restoration.

& aside from that you can cast omen/mana vampire.

You probably would be better off having 120 magery seeing as it's your melee defense too and you'll likely be in wraith form a lot.

You also need 105 necromancy to not fail at wither... bloodwood spirit takes care of that though it's spirit speak bonus doesn't actually work. It also works as a damage removal talisman (mortal/bleed/poison/strangle), so worth macroing if you go to doom or around necros etc.

S

Sir Kenga

It takes 100 necro not to fail at wither. It takes 105 necro not to fail at Strangle ;)

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As a necro-mage, if you play right, you'll never notice the lack of focus.

You could also grab 90 points of spellweaving. It's still possible to get a focus, can cast a lot of useful spells, including my current favorite, Dryad Allure. Try hunting with an ogre lord on your side.

Anyhow, between the two, I'd pick resist.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You also need 105 necromancy to not fail at wither... bloodwood spirit takes care of that though it's spirit speak bonus doesn't actually work. It also works as a damage removal talisman (mortal/bleed/poison/strangle), so worth macroing if you go to doom or around necros etc.
My bloodwood spirits only has a SS bonus, nothing for necro, and it's not a damage removal talisman. Are there more than one version of them? I have 2 that are identical.

S

Sir Kenga

My bloodwood spirits only has a SS bonus, nothing for necro, and it's not a damage removal talisman. Are there more than one version of them? I have 2 that are identical.
Yes there is a better version, 10 SS + 5 Necro.

G

GFY

I would go with resist also. I have resist and wrestling soul stoned and switch back and forth for duelling a mage or a dexxer.

Necro 120
Spirit Speak 120
Magery 120
Meditation 120
Evaluate Intelligence 120
and switching wrestle or resist for 120

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

Their all damage removal talismans.

Yes theres two types one with necro one without, the ss bonus doesn't actually work on any of them.

A

Arch Magus

Their all damage removal talismans.

Yes theres two types one with necro one without, the ss bonus doesn't actually work on any of them.
Is what I highlighted in bold actually true? where did you get this info?

my talisman bumps me to 120 SS..

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

Good job you questioned that! Turns out I was wrong, it is working, whats wrong is that I was under the impression (from the necro professional forum) that the amount of strangle ticks you got was spirit speak/10 with a minimum of 4. Which would mean 10 ticks at 100, 11 at 110 and 12 at 120... I just did several checks and the talisman is working it's the formula thats wrong.

kinney42

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can't say enough about how much I love my Necro/Mage/Weaver. So many options!!!
120 Magery
120 Eval
120 Spellweaving
120 Focus
100 Necro
100 SS
100 Med

S

Salty Pete

My necro/mage has this template;

110 resist
110 magery
110 eval
110 SS
110 med
105 necro
extra skill points are in focus right now.

I think if I had inscription my template would look like this;

110 resist
110 magery
110 eval
110 SS
100 inscription
100 necro
80 med (+10/20 in skill items)

(720 sp)

100 resist
110 magery
110 eval
110 SS
100 inscription
90 necro
80 med (+10/20 in skill items)

(700 sp)

Focus not so important when you have lich/vamp/wraith form + shadow wisp.

5% Luck

To me it realy depends on how your going to use the char. If you plan on running lady mels or other hunting where your not the main target then go focus. If you plan on doing champ spawns pvp or any activity where you will be getting nuked like doom go resist.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
He's a light combat mage. I don't do many high level spawns as it is, and when I do decide to take them on I use either my warrior or tamer. I never really learned to to effectively play a mage. I think for now I'll just leave it in resist (most of it's there anyway), and see how much I start using him after I finish the changes.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would agree with the person who said to drop focus. Completely pointless skill in my opinion. Can do the same thing with +12 MR. Would go with resist like you wanted or another beneficial skill. Resist however, is ALWAYS good in PvM.

G

GFY

I believe focus has 20/1 ratio for points to regen. So you could replace 120 focus with MR 6 on your suit. :bdh: