• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What we have here is a failure to communicate.

Z

Zofinur

Your point?
Oh, i was just answering a question:
Nobody likes a police state except the police.
So, explain to me oh yoda, why that is a police state?
And furthermore to ur own words:
You typically choose to do business, or not do business, with a company
Yes i did choose to do business with EA, and they accepted and were taking my money. For 9 years and mostly paid 6 month in advance. With no warning, ban or flag so far.
So i feel like its my right to ask for the reason. And not just for a phrase like "multitude of highly illegal items"
Dont u agree?

S

Speetz13

I think the UK/USA terms are:

1. Legislature
2. Judiciary
3. Executure
Correct, but the German ones make it sound so much cooler to be a "Democracy."

Ok, and yes, EA or whoever has every right to terminate people, and if we don''t like, peace out guys, it's Vangaurd/WoW/Whatever time.

But we don't want it like that is the point. People are trying to bring things to light that they don't like this to give EA some knowledge of their playerbase, and so they can do something to bring their own reputation on the up and up in the eyes of the "honest and not-banned" players.

So if you want everyone to quit every time something they don't like happens, then nobody's gonna win. Everyone will lose, cuz their wont be anyone to play the game eventually. Instead, why don't we try and help EA satisfy their customers?

No one wants to leave somethin' they love so much, and people they love virtually hanging out with a lot, just because the powers that be are doing some things that they don't like, that can be easily changed, explained, or taken back.

A

Ashyn

Well...if you're having a hard time deciding who to believe, just consider this.

When Draconi torched numerous houses across many different shards, the aftermath was significantly different. The "thank you" thread was several pages long and there were next to no "EA did me wrong" posts.

That in itself should make you wonder what happened this time.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The one "Innocent" that had 160 duped runics...how many of you even have 160 runics, besides Theo?

Needless to say, I realized that there was no way for most anyone, except maybe 40,000 BOD Theo to have that many hammers, and I don't think he plays my shard, so I steered way clear.
*Blushes*

I primarily play GL where about 80% of my bods are and they number about 16,000 on GL.

I DO have more than 160 runics however only one Verite (haven't burned yet), on heartwood saw, and no val hammers.

In 6 years of bods I have yet to get one val hammer bod.

So yes, anyone with 25 Val hammers is suspicious. However, they did give away val hammers as part of the blackrock turn in. I got about 5 aggy hammers but no val ones from that. I choose NOT to turn in alot of my blackrock because I assumed the reward would be greater if we saved the rock for good rather than evil. Boy was I wrong.

I'm learning that UO is all about rewarding those that side with evil.

The dupers are winning this battle this time. Must be good to be evil these days.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
No, what we have here is a large bunch of idiots that want to whine and cry because they think they have "rights".

UO is a game, run by a for-profit company. You and everyone here signed a contract by entering the game that allows EA/Mythic/OSI to do whatever they wish in regards to your gameplay. If you don't like that, you can stop paying them and close your account.

That contract is between YOU and THE COMPANY. It is not between US and THE COMPANY. As a consequence, EA would have to change the contract to allow them to put out specifics on why someone was banned (i.e. they had bought and sold 200 BRKs) or get the permission of all involved to put that information out, or be pulled up in court for privacy issues.

So, explain to me oh yoda, why that is a police state?

I'm getting sick and tired of idiotic claims of all these people, they THINK they are championing and being good little activists, when they are actually just being fearmongering conspiracy twits that need a serious swirling wedgie.

Honestly, I was hoping the new "statement" by stratics was that no new threads on this idiocy could be made.
EA controls the game and has every right to ban people and refuse them service. This is true.

However, the manner in which you do this and how you behave affects the other people that view your service (read : ME).

Think about a baseball game. They have the right to throw you out of the park if they choose.

What if every game they threw out 200-300 people for no good reason. What if an object came on the field from section 203 and they threw out EVERYONE in 203 because they had no way to figgure out who was in 203?

Do you think you would plop down $200 for tickets for you and your family to attend many games if this was LIKELY to happen?

Now switch over to UO. Do you feel good about paying $13/month when the game you have invested in might ban you for no good reason?

People are leaving UO and this is a bad way to treat your customers.

No one complains when you get the right guy and toss him out of the game for spilling beer on the right fielder. The same was true with the script miner bannings/burnings.

However, you eject the entire section 203 and people are going to be pissed.

And....here we are.

R

RoycroftLS

When Draconi torched numerous houses across many different shards, the aftermath was significantly different. The "thank you" thread was several pages long and there were next to no "EA did me wrong" posts.
What is right is not always popular, and what is popular is not always right.

Just because some of the people who were targeted this time were well-liked and upstanding members of the UO community should not automatically imply that EA was wrong to ban them. The game rules should apply to everybody equally.

That said, there are numerous examples of both people (Eliot Spitzer) and companies (Enron) who were thought to be fair and upstanding only to be proven otherwise. So it's entirely possible that the banned players are not who we thought they were, and it's entirely possible that EA made a huge mistake.

As much as the community uproar seems more upset this time, I am currently inclined to believe that the devs wouldn't dare cause such an uproar unless the accused people definitely did something wrong. Banning innocent people while letting the guilty get away doesn't sound like a good strategy for any business, much less a notoriously profit-hungry company like EA.

Could there be other, more devious schemes at work that would make me completely off base? Sure, but generally the simplest explanation is the correct one.

Fluffi

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have the feeling that if Jeremy were to respond to any of this, she would again ask why we are choosing to believe second hand information. All I can say is that from the tone and content of many of these posts my gut instinct tells me that there truly are people confused about why they got banned. And not knowing is a very unhappy feeling in most circumstances.

I agree that Jeremy would probably respond in the manner you suggest.

My immediate response to that would be: "you are just asking us to believe YOUR version of second-hand information."
We are told that these folk were guilty of something vague, and are expected to accept that at face value.

In the cases of the most vociferous defenders of their own innocence, EA should make a public announcement along the lines of: "the Stratics poster called XXXXX has given us permission to discuss their case. They play a UO character called XXXXX. At the time of the ban they were in posession of XXXXX. This is what we mean by multiple illegal items"

If the UO account had 200 Ornys, 200 Inquis, and 50 copies of a unique server-birth/event item, then we are all capable of reaching our own conclusions as to whether the posters have been telling the truth on the forums.

If the reason for the banning was multiple cheques, then EA should demonstrate their proof that they were obtained illegally, rather than innocently received in payment for legitimate ingame items.

Several stratics posters have thrown-down the gauntlet to EA, with their calls to have the details of their bans published. Maybe this is just a clever bluff on the part of the banned - knowing that EA will not disclose their information - but the longer EA continues with the current policy of "we don't talk about bans, even when the people concerned have asked us to", the more I am inclined to think that some terrible mistakes may have been made.

Which raises the question of who is going to get caught-up in the next mistake? Might it be me?

T

T_Amon_from_work

Okay Fayled ... there is something VERY wrong here. I could understand your posting style right away! :thumbsup: And to think ... today was one where I **wanted** to think a bit!

I know ... I'm just a bit :coco:

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The willingness of people to take secondhand protestations of innocence at face value appalls me.

I guess all I can say to that statement is what I said in another thread :

I don't give a rat's behind that they don't 'have' to 'explain' anything to anyone by the terms of the TOS. When you have taken a persons money for 2 years or 10 years you have a MORAL obligation to at least provide basic information to that person when you are going to brand them a 'cheater' and delete their stuff, not send them a pissy proforma email that tells them nothing. If they are prepared to treat any customer this way then do they really expect to have any player give them confidence in how they operate their business. I think NOT. It is totally atrocious behavior.

I do not believe anyone just takes these protestations at face value. Some of the complaints have been very 'believable' and obviously from some members of the community that have the trust and friendship of a lot of players. Whether they are guilty or innocent is beside the point at this time.

'IF' these bannings were all so legitimate, then what on earth would possess you [EA] to send out such a proforma advice. IF you banned an account for being in possession of a 'multitude' of items then at least you could of had the decency to list them on the email that advised the banning and deletion. Without that you have asked for any criticism thrown your way.

Not only that you [EA] have made each and every player here feel that the same thing could happen to them due to this totally asinine proforma email that gives the recipient absolutely no information. If a person has to come to these boards to ask 'what were the multitude' of items that I was banned for? you cannot expect that a lot of us will not be concerned, especially when that information isn't instantly available to those accounts that are affected when they actually 'ask'.

Sorry, but when you deal with your customers in such an unprofessional manner you can hardly expect everyone to take 'your' bannings and deletions at 'face value' either. Especially when your [EA] record of getting things right is so appalling and the fact you [EA] let these items sit on vendors for not one week, not one month, but month after month.

I think as paying customers it is 'US' that should be appalled. I know I am.

Sorry if I sound harsh Jeremy, I know for 99% of this you are 'just the messenger' but that message was not one that was going to sit comfortably with a lot of us, including me.

J

Joyous2K

Termination Of Account.

EA and you both have the right to terminate or cancel your Account or a particular subscription at any time. You understand and agree that the cancellation of your Account or a particular subscription is your sole right and remedy with respect to any dispute with EA Online. This includes, but is not limited to, any dispute related to, or arising out of: (1) any term of this Terms of Service or EA’s enforcement or application of this Agreement; (2) the Content available through EA Online or any change in Content provided through EA Online; (3) your ability to access and/or use EA Online; or (4) the amount or type of fees, surcharges, applicable taxes, billing methods, or any change to the fees, applicable taxes, surcharges or billing methods.

You can cancel your Account or a particular subscription by delivering notice to EA Online's Customer Service Department at http://support.ea.com. EA reserves the right to collect fees, surcharges or costs incurred before you cancel your Account or a particular subscription. In addition, you are responsible for any charges incurred to third-party vendors or content providers before your cancellation. In the event that your Account or a particular subscription is terminated or canceled, no refund will be granted; no online time or other credits (e.g., points in an online game) will be credited to you or converted to cash or other form of reimbursement, and you will have no further access to your Account or anything within EA Online associated with it (such as points, tokens or in-game items). Active EA Online Account holders may not allow former Account holders whose Account has been terminated by EA Online to use their Accounts. Any delinquent or unpaid Accounts or Accounts with unresolved issues with EA Online must be settled before EA Online may allow you to register again.

TOS

You "volunteered" to abide by the rules of "the police state".

"EA might well be right and all who have been banned should have been" << you can stop right there ...

yw.

Your:Fayled Dhreams
Fiat justitia, ruat coelum
Fayled, where the hell have you been? Jeez! I am still waiting for the rest of that knock knock joke. DAG!

I don't know what this post is about. TO the OP: Yes you are right about somethings and wrong about others. Way off on one and dead on for one. Nice post. This will change things. Thank you. Please keep up these type posts. Together we can heal the world and make a change. VOte for Hilton in 96, this is our year.

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The willingness of people to take secondhand protestations of innocence at face value appalls me.

I can totally relate, after all it's not like EA always makes mistakes. They never release buggy code, they have never before had dupes in the game.

They aren't late with patches.
They never spend Dev time on silly game features like Bacon or flowers.
They never start a new game add on and then trash it in the middle.
They never release new game add ons with humdreds of bugs.

In fact EA has never ever made a mistake in their history after all they aren't human like the rest of us.

So again I have to agree that "The willingness of people to take secondhand protestations of innocence at face value appalls me." Because after all you don't make mistakes!

Kaleb

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sarsmi, I fully agree...

Here's one for you, Jeremy: I've been so turned off about some of the bans, and the lack of explanation towards them (a standard mail? to all of them? ridiculous) that I've reactivated my EvE online account and just don't feel like playing UO anymore...

I wanted to bring my accounts down to one (I have two), but I think I'll just store my most priced personal items inside banks and let the IDOC'ers have their way...

You have been a decent politician for the time you've spend here on the boards, but it appears to have changed dramatically. I've seen you state that "Stratics forum questions won't be answered due to them being largely negative" at the town hall. Ok Jeremy, how the heck am I supposed to get my questions answered then? I live in Europe, I can't attend your American Town Halls...

And now the fact that I'm being ridiculed because I happen to believe my guildmate being innocently banned over her explanation. Well Jeremy, I just so happen to know my guildmates way better than I know you people at EA, so you can bet your behind I'll be believing her sooner than you. Especially since EA is so good in screwing things up in an epic way...

I'm going to think things over hard the upcomming days. It is apparent that you just don't give a ****. I want to play a game where they do, so apparently it is in both UO and my interrest to part ways...
OoOoOoOo I love these kind of posts :) Dont let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya. Cya

When the vines went down EA warned Buyer beware be it From a broker or a vendor in game. If you want to cheat in uo either by duping or buying gold or items from a broker you better be prepared to face the punishment if any of those items were bad or you get caught end of story. These woas me posts are stupid and a waste of time. If ya cant stand the heat ya better not cheat!!

N

Nyte Doombringer

As the post says failure to communicate.
When someone gets a letter and their acct is banned and stuff deleted, and the letter says xxxx number of illegal items, of course they would like a list of what they are.
Irl if you are accused of something you get the facts of whatever it is, if its stealing they will give you a detailed report of what you stole, possession of illegal items, the same thing.

The problem here is yes EA can do anything they want and you cant do anything about it. You pay them their money every month, but they still own the game and all the pixels of your char and your house and the things you have put so much time into. Its not yours. So if they want to pull the plug on you or me they can and what can we do, nothing.
So as someone said we have to decide do we want to keep paying them that money, for a 11 year old game, with crappy if not nonexistent customer service, or do we want to say ok enough is enough and pack our bags and move on to something else?

Most people stay in UO for the community, because it certainly isnt because this is a cutting edge game with cutting edge graphics. Now they are ruining the community for everyone so whats left? I been playing UO since 98, yes I left for a while here and there but always ended up back and it hurts me to see this but you have to face it that UO will never ever be the same no matter what.

Times change and new games come out and people leave. The worst thing they did was cancel the 3D UO they where going to make 4-5 years ago. Now everything they have is ofc going into Warhammer. They really missed the mark because if they would have made a new UO with the graphics Warhammer has, they could have prolly competed with WoW as far as player base.

I dont know whether these people are guilty or innocent however they have the right to be giving all the facts about why they where banned. I also dont believe we should have to worry about buying duped items on vendors or trading with other players and getting duped checks ect. Again that is EA's job to make sure those items are not in the game. If i want to go to a vendor in luna and buy 10 barb runic kits at 2mil each why should I have to worry about whether they are duped or not if they are there to buy? Not my job.

Z

Zofinur

However, you were found to be in possession of a multitude of highly illegal items in Ultima Online. Due to the severe nature of this ToS violation, your account was terminated. Sufficient evidence was verified to justify this termination.
Any further replies regarding this subject will not be acknowledged.

Berym

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
EA should not release private information to the public, but some more information supplied to people who contact customer support would probably go a long way towards easing tension.

Personally - at risk of being tagged a Mythic fanboy - I am inclined to give UO's current management team the benefit of the doubt. I feel they're putting effort into UO that previous management has not; the things they're adding to the game add to its richness and enjoyment.

I would be less inclined to give previous UO management teams the benefit of the doubt - after all, we old timers (ten years in UO now!) remember things that have happened to us. We need to also remember that the current UO team is not the old one, and to consider that they may indeed have our best interests at heart.

No company survives by alienating its player base.

The ideal way forward from here is that people who enquire about their accounts get a no frills, straight up explanation - ie: "You were banned for having five billion in gold and thirty valorite hammers" - rather than the vague replies that people are saying they've received.

Other than that, I would call for people to calm down and to give matters time to cool down and for things to come into the clear.

Leaping to angry conclusion, accusations of conspiracy and reaching for the flaming torches won't help anyone or anything.

Z

Zofinur

Any further replies regarding this subject will not be acknowledged.
Even worse, i did read this when i asked a technical question about the website support.ea.com (some of my questions were missing; some were shown)
Any replies will be closed with no response or acknowledgement.

N

Nyte Doombringer

Stuff like this makes you want to contact a lawyer, but you know how much that would cost, but maybe take it to gaming magizines and big gaming sites ect and get some publicity on it?

Bobar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No, what we have here is a large bunch of idiots that want to whine and cry because they think they have "rights".

I'm getting sick and tired of idiotic claims of all these people, they THINK they are championing and being good little activists, when they are actually just being fearmongering conspiracy twits that need a serious swirling wedgie.
Allow me to congratulate you on your delightfully worded post.

Of course as I am one of the fearmongering conspiracy twits I realise that as such I cannot hope to aspire to such a lofty position of grandeur as you. If only I had the intellect to view a large percentage of my fellow players as idiots. The heights to which I might aspire are beyond imagination.

Being just one of the simple idiots however I tend to think that this whole situation could have been handled with a lot more forethought.

Of course we all know EA have the right to terminate our accounts without notice even I, an idiot, know that.

But it sits uneasily upon me that reputable players - in numbers - are protesting the action taken. As an idiot yes, i believe I and all players have rights maybe not in law under EAs stance but moral ones. Of course as a superior being I realise this might well not apply to you.

The whole point of my post is I believe the action taken was done with the very best of intentions. It is just, lowly idiot me, thinks it should have been better done. We all know what the road to hell is paved with.

C

Connor_Graham

Stuff like this makes you want to contact a lawyer
"Uh yeah, Mr Judge Sir, I want to sue EA/Mythic for taking away something that I had acknowledged when it was given to me that it never belonged to me in the first place, and agreed that it could be taken away at any time, for taking away the thing that never belonged to me."

*Mr Judge gets a gaseous look on his face*

"Bailiff, contact the Good Humor man. We've got a candidate for the padded white wall hotel here."

*bangs gavel*

"Next case."

N

Nyte Doombringer

"Uh yeah, Mr Judge Sir, I want to sue EA/Mythic for taking away something that I had acknowledged when it was given to me that it never belonged to me in the first place, and agreed that it could be taken away at any time, for taking away the thing that never belonged to me."

*Mr Judge gets a gaseous look on his face*

"Bailiff, contact the Good Humor man. We've got a candidate for the padded white wall hotel here."

*bangs gavel*

"Next case."
LOL Yea
But you know what i mean. You feel like you are hopeless to the big bad wolf(EA). You cant do anything, you dont have any rights, because as you said nothing really belongs to you. So you have paid for pixels for years that dont really belong to you and invested all that time you can never get back.
*Bangs Head*

Z

Zofinur

Not exactly, what about
"Uh yeah Mr Judge Sir, EA took my dollars for 6 month in advance, frequently paid over the last 9 years.
And now they terminate my account without giving reasons with no explanation at all.
Shouldnt they at least refund me?"

C

Connor_Graham

Not exactly, what about
"Uh yeah Mr Judge Sir, EA took my dollars for 6 month in advance, frequently paid over the last 9 years.
And now they terminate my account without giving reasons with no explanation at all.
Shouldnt they at least refund me?"
Refund what? The only thing I could see getting a refund for is if you'd paid for 6 months and they terminated somewhere prior to that, but even that wouldn't be applicable if you were caught breaking a rule, which is in the ToS as reason enough to terminate the account immediately.

Individual explanations yeah. Refunds, no.

C

Connor_Graham

LOL Yea
But you know what i mean. You feel like you are hopeless to the big bad wolf(EA). You cant do anything, you dont have any rights, because as you said nothing really belongs to you. So you have paid for pixels for years that dont really belong to you and invested all that time you can never get back.
*Bangs Head*
Finally someone takes my sarcasm with the humor it was intended. :danceb:

Congratulations on being the first person in 4~ years to do so. :thumbsup:

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Refund what? The only thing I could see getting a refund for is if you'd paid for 6 months and they terminated somewhere prior to that, but even that wouldn't be applicable if you were caught breaking a rule, which is in the ToS as reason enough to terminate the account immediately.

Individual explanations yeah. Refunds, no.
Actually I think that they would have to refund any money/time that was left.

If you paid 6 months in advance and get banned in month #3, they ahve to refund you the last 3 months, regardless of what you did.

Now getting them to return the refund iss a different story completely. And who in their right mind would take legal action for $50? BTW this is another reason why they would probably try to keep the balance.

D

DarkScripture

\They dont care the price, they just want the items, so the go to luna and buy stuff off vendors, on whatever shard they choose to play for the month.

This is complete BS. If they are taking the gold why not take the suit they had been using from the shard they left??? Because they ARE cheating. They are running from the law so to speak. On the lamb.. Take the loot and split,

Erekose

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The fact that a few truly innocent people DID get banned as well is what appalls me. I too fully support the mass banning of cheaters, but knowing for a fact that there are people who are/were honest who also got banned still irks me greatly.

What's appalling is that Mythic did NOT investigate on a case by case basis. If they had there are at least two people I know who would be unbanned now. They threw the baby out with the bathwater.

Erekose

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's also appalling that they posted a link to a form for people to dispute unjust bannings, then sent form letters in response and didn't investigate anything. Again, had they done so I know at least one and probably 2 people who would have been unbanned and maybe even apologised to.

It IS a lot like dynamite fishing. Good analogy. I'm very glad they took some action but in the execution phase they made mistakes that they are not owning up to.

K

Kith Kanan

"" The willingness of people to take secondhand protestations of innocence at face value appalls me.

BITE ME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

K

Kith Kanan

Guess what? EA is a private business and as such they have the RIGHT to pick and choose who they are willing to do business with. I'm not choosing a side here but EA has made a choice that they are not willing to have a number of people as clients. Weather you, me or the other XXXXX# of people that play UO think this is right or wrong, it is for EA to choose and they have done so........

True and I have the right to call em braindead muppets that spawned in pee

S

Sheridan

The fact that a few truly innocent people DID get banned as well is what appalls me. I too fully support the mass banning of cheaters, but knowing for a fact that there are people who are/were honest who also got banned still irks me greatly.
Fact? Are those really facts or merely personal opinion?

Z

Zofinur

Fact? Are those really facts
There are no facts as long as EA does not give these facts to the ppl!
I mean in private, when a banned user asks for the reason using the webform thats shown on uoherald.com

I know EA declined to discuss it in public!

Beefybone

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You will never have an anti-cheater ban wave without a rush of "WAH I WAS BANNED UNFAIRLY" forum spam. If you people can't handle that forum spam without going "OH NO, UNFAIR BANS, THIS IS A POLICE STATE!" then the game is basically over. What do you expect EA to do?

yanaki2

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
my 2 cents.

first of all, i can understand the need to remove duped items and those who dupe from the game. that is a given. but dont ban people who purchased items from venders unknowingly. its just plain wrong. If you cannot do that then just delete the items from there possession. im sure a gm wouldnt mind telling a player hey your val hammers were deleted due to blah blah...

We are forgetting one small part in this. The utter lack in responcibility by the dev team in this manner. IF they did there job correctly in the first place then dupes would not be common and have such a negative effect on the game. when you implement new coding with total disregard of previous coding and Give people this type of chance on a silver platter some will take it.

so i ask you this.

let say some company built the best super max state of the art bank designed so that no one could ever suceed in robbing them. then they forgot to lock any of the doors when they all left to go home.

whos fault is it when the place becomes robbed?
the robber? of course but what about the people who didnt lock the door? shouldnt they carry some of the blame?

now lets add to this that the robbers go on a spending spree and buy tons of stuff. the bank owners trace the money lost by serial number and start arresting the store manager at the porsche dealership and the indian guy running the 7-11 and the teller at the burger king and the store owner of the local jewelry shop. all of them get the death penalty and are executed after a short trial that they are not allowed any representation.

IF something like that happened what would you think? i know i would move to another country where the government wasnt smoking crack. of course before that id find those guys from the bank and make sure they got what they deserved.

now im not saying we should quit uo and drive down to EA, find the dev team members and lynch them(though maybe not too bad of a idea) but cmon guys the heart of this problem lies squarly on the shoulders of the people who created said ability in the first place.

just my 2 cents

D

dancing101

my 2 cents.

first of all, i can understand the need to remove duped items and those who dupe from the game. that is a given. but dont ban people who purchased items from venders unknowingly. its just plain wrong. If you cannot do that then just delete the items from there possession. im sure a gm wouldnt mind telling a player hey your val hammers were deleted due to blah blah...

We are forgetting one small part in this. The utter lack in responcibility by the dev team in this manner. IF they did there job correctly in the first place then dupes would not be common and have such a negative effect on the game. when you implement new coding with total disregard of previous coding and Give people this type of chance on a silver platter some will take it.

so i ask you this.

let say some company built the best super max state of the art bank designed so that no one could ever suceed in robbing them. then they forgot to lock any of the doors when they all left to go home.

whos fault is it when the place becomes robbed?
the robber? of course but what about the people who didnt lock the door? shouldnt they carry some of the blame?

now lets add to this that the robbers go on a spending spree and buy tons of stuff. the bank owners trace the money lost by serial number and start arresting the store manager at the porsche dealership and the indian guy running the 7-11 and the teller at the burger king and the store owner of the local jewelry shop. all of them get the death penalty and are executed after a short trial that they are not allowed any representation.

IF something like that happened what would you think? i know i would move to another country where the government wasnt smoking crack. of course before that id find those guys from the bank and make sure they got what they deserved.

now im not saying we should quit uo and drive down to EA, find the dev team members and lynch them(though maybe not too bad of a idea) but cmon guys the heart of this problem lies squarly on the shoulders of the people who created said ability in the first place.

just my 2 cents
Yanaki2 actually gave us a pretty good analogy of what was happening in the mass banning scenarios. The action taken by EA is too foolharishly without taking into consideration of its consequences and the impacts to the UO gamers.

C

Connor_Graham

my 2 cents.

No software released in the history of software has ever come out without some type of bug or glitch in the program, and your expectations of anything different occuring in a 10 yr old game that has had multiple programmers putting their hands on it over the years is ludicrous at best.

The real culprits that deserve the blame are the dupers that make a conscious effort each and every time a new publish is put into the game to find whatever they can and exploit it as fast as possible, and as much as possible, before the "hole can be plugged".

You're basically blaming the Devs & QA for being human and being subject to human error. No one is perfect, and your post is proof that you're not either.

just my 2 cents
Here's your change... :coco:

R

RoycroftLS

Yanaki2 actually gave us a pretty good analogy of what was happening in the mass banning scenarios. The action taken by EA is too foolharishly without taking into consideration of its consequences and the impacts to the UO gamers.
Quote from Jeremy before any banning took place:
Well, I should clarify - banning cheaters = good, ban first ask questions later = bad. Banning legitimate players unfairly tends to drive them and their friends away in droves, and that's no good either. So... yeah, it does take a while.

Z

Zofinur

Quote from Jeremy before any banning took place:
Well, I should clarify - banning cheaters = good, ban first ask questions later = bad. Banning legitimate players unfairly tends to drive them and their friends away in droves, and that's no good either. So... yeah, it does take a while.
If u r interested in the thread where she made this comment: Here it is

I saw this quote before, but didnt knew that one was made before the bans.
Actually it was just about 24 hours before i received my email.

Can it be she didnt know what is to come?

B

Beldon

So you would go down and murder DEV team members before quiting the game. Seriously read your own post. If you feel wrong YOU SHOULD QUIT. But thinking about killing DEV team members shouldn't even occur to you.

Z

Zofinur

EA did win.
Of course.
What did i expect.
I´m giving up.
Hail to the Ostards!

Just closed the last available auctionsite to trade ingameitems.
(URL is not needed to post)

I

Ivan Drago

Got banned aswell with the same standard messages as above. Haven't bought a single item for months, play about once a fortnight, didn't own a single runic, and had about 30m gold at the most. Submitted my query through the form mentioned here but I expect to be fobbed off. My house has been deleted too.

It mainly occurs to me that they just got their parameters wrong. Also, if I log onto ultima-registration, it says suspected exploitation. Suspicion is hardly sufficient reason to delete an 11 yr old account without any form of appeal prior.

I don't care what the TOS say, that is a legal document that will naturally suppose minimum responsibility (rightfully so). What's happened is wrong morally, because it's clear to anyone remotely intelligent that the wrong people have been hit.