• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What type of spawn to train newb Beetle n Bake?

kitiara-atlantic

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi all -

I've got a fresh bake kitsune ready to bond this weekend. I also have a bonded but mostly untrained rune beetle.

What kind of spawn could this combo handle (for training purposes, but not like mule-training... more like, I'd like to have some fun while coincidentally also training these guys)?

Could they take a Swoop? (I'm thinking no?)

Tsuki wolves? (hmmm not sure?)

White wyrm? (maybe?)

Suggestions appreciated! :)

U

uoBuoY

Hi all -

I've got a fresh bake kitsune ready to bond this weekend. I also have a bonded but mostly untrained rune beetle.

What kind of spawn could this combo handle (for training purposes, but not like mule-training... more like, I'd like to have some fun while coincidentally also training these guys)?

White wyrm? (maybe?)

my suggestion...

Stable both pets and unstable the beetle first so he becomes the main meat shield.

Then decide what other benefit you could use other than pet training. Do you need gold, leather, honor, etc.? If you need honor, train with Ice Fiends and White Wyrms (leather as well). Need gold - Sphynx.

I always try to multitask in game because I don't have unlimited game time. I try to do as many things at the same time as possible.

Tsuki and Swoop are good but they won't provide Resist training which is difficult enough to train in pets. Try to always train on a magic caster.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ideally you want to swap which pet goes in first, as those seem to dump mana and stamina harder than the supporting pet. It's a bit out of date, but if you lore your pets to match their skills up, this guide will give you a list of magic casters to choose from when you're training :http://www.strangeworld.com/uo/prc/prc.php?Section=training. Pick spots that suit the lowest skill on the lower skilled pet out of the pair. Keep them well fed and if one pet runs out of mana or stamina, have it attack second and it should regen as it fights.

Wenchy

kitiara-atlantic

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks! This is helpful. Does the order they're taken out of the stable affect which will get targeted by aggro's first, then?

I've never done Sphynx... *checks out Hunter's Guide*

:)

/edit Oooh awesome link Wenchy - thanks!!!

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The first out the stable will be targetted first most of the time when you use an all kill. But it's more of a concern if one pet will get royally spanked when it's first in line.

If you're alternating which pet goes in first it's just something you want to be aware of, just in case you have a fast respawn, or say a paragon spawns and goes straight for the pet who was "tanking" a second time. Can be a bit of heavy vet in those situations, which is why I like having macros for "pet name kill" to quickly send in the support pet and pull the other back to vet.

Wenchy

5% Luck

The absolute fastest training Ive found is in the painted caves.(sheesh i shouldt have said that) the spawn is instant and the gains are phenomenal. Using show corpes name(uoassit) allows you to click that name and loot too. fast fast gold this way and anywhere upwards of 2 full points wrestling an hour 80 skill +. For the bake if hes a fresh bond youll have to take him to ettins or earthies untill 75-80 as they tend to start in the 40s. Then jump right in with the troglodytes.

Im sure some one has/will mention shadow eles!

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What I always do with a fresh tame, either beetle or bake, is take it alone to the Tokuno champion spawn. From there, you can work your new pet's wrestling up very quickly on the lizardmen there, and never lack for targets.

Then you can go with one of the above mentioned tasks when your wrestling is about 75 (Raise the spawn to level 2 twice).

I also train new paladins this way, it's vewwy fast! The only problem is, you have to do it alone. The spawn raises too quickly with two people.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I forgot about that champ spawn for training, though when I used to go there it was during ToT and I always found a stack of hiryu running at me :D

I think with my first bakes we hit a few spots in Ilsh, but the best was the reaper forest with all the reapers and imps. Both ran off in different directions but they got a stack of gains in resist and med, and the spawn there was ok for them to gain fighting skills too, without risking death.

Wenchy

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Hi all -

White wyrm? (maybe?)

When I got my first Kitsune, I used it to kill Rai-ju, got pretty good gains off them. Though with a combo of Kitsune and Rune Beetle you'll kill them much to fast. I'd try the Tuski wolves or get someone to dig me up a Shadow Ore Elemental....

kitiara-atlantic

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks everybody!

I've been taking my beetle and bake to Sphynx the last couple days. It goes well - I have to vet enough not to be bored, but it's a non-aggro area so not too risky, decent gold...

I'm wondering if the Sphynx is too hard in terms of gaining wrestling on the bake. Yesterday, the rune beetle was my tank. I killed maybe 40 or so Sphynx (sphynxes?) and gained 7.0 or so in wrestling (to 81). Today, the bake was the tank (attacking first and taking the damage), and I killed another 40 or so Sphynxes with the pair, but the bake did not gain ANY wrestling - neither yesterday nor today. He's at 46.1 wrestling. He gained in all other skills both days.

So I'm thinking I need to go back to that training chart and pick a more suitable critter to train up my bake's wrestling a bit. I'm just surprised to have gotten ZERO wrestling gain... is that normal??

Thanks again!

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yep, it could be that the sphinx are too far from the kitsune's skill level to give him gains. I had that with my unicorn, we ended up in all kinds of places till she got trained up a bit heh. They do gain really fast at lower levels though which is handy :)

Wenchy

Z

Zodiac19

For fresh Bakes I take them to the yew crypts and have them kill skeletons till 65 or 70 in wrestling and tactics, then just about any of the higher end mobs will allow them to gain.

As for being normal that the Bake did not gain from Sphynx being at 40's in skill, yes. Your pet needs to be within 25-30 skill point of its target to gain. The minimum wrestling and tactics for the Sphynx is 90.1 so to gain from them your pet needs to be 60-65 in thoes skills.

H

Hungry Cheetah

I took mine to the cyclops garden area in ish for a while, that seemed to work them up nicely. take on the occasional titan too for the extra resist gain. then after they're in their mid 80's try out a shadow ele.

kitiara-atlantic

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I used my bake to kill wisps and ant lions to gather the new seeds, and that got him to 68 or so, and now he's gaining on Sphynx. Thanks, all!!! :)

btw, I'm loving my little bake! He doesn't giggle though like the wild ones? When did your bakes start giggling for you?

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My fisher girl had kits giggling from day 1, so maybe you have a rare "serious" kitsune ;) Mine seem to think the best time to giggle is right after something dies. Can't wait till that's a player *grin*

Wenchy

kitiara-atlantic

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My fisher girl had kits giggling from day 1, so maybe you have a rare "serious" kitsune ;) Mine seem to think the best time to giggle is right after something dies. Can't wait till that's a player *grin*

Wenchy
LMAO it is just my luck that I'd find the one in a million "serious" bake!!!! :p

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe you need to take it trick or treating, see if it develops a sense of humour ;)

Wenchy

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Haven't tried it, but I'm not sure if the doppleganger thing pops up with a pet kit either ;) Would be pretty funny if it did, but I doubt it happens.

Wenchy