• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What to look for in pets these days?

Merion

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As mentioned before, I'm not really understanding the new pet training system completely. So I'm a bit unsure what to look for in animals I want to tame. In the past I always lored it and the checked UOCraft's Pet Power Calculator to see how good it is.

Now I heard that weaker pets are better, because they use fewer slots and thus can be trained further. Which makes sense to me. But I wonder if there a still any stats that make a difference. Do you prefer pets with high str or mana or something because it saves trainingpoints? Or doesn't all that matter at all because you can raise the stats during training?

North_LS

Journeyman
from what i understand, you want str and hp as high as possible, while staying at the lowest possible starting control slots. with many pets, you'll also want to make sure certain resists dont exceed a certain value - ie. on a cu, the lower the cold resistance the better off you are.

Merion

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks, but I don't really understand the low resist thing. Why is it good when a cu has low cold resist?

North_LS

Journeyman
you can only have a total of 365 resist points on a pet, and cold is one of the less common damage types you come across. as such, each point the pet already has in cold resist is a point you cant put into a different resist.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Because no one wants 90 Cold Resist... it's better if you can balance out the resists so all are at least 70... though some weird people prefer to put cold low under 70 and raise everything else to 80... having really high Cold resist doesn't actually help your pet unless you plan to only fight in Ice Dungeon with them... but even then a lot of that does physical damage not cold...

Merion

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks, that explains a lot!

So I haven't wasted it on my legacy fire steed I chose for getting to know the system as I probably will use a fire pet against cold.