• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What pet.....

RazicGL

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Was going to post on tamer forum but might be better here. I have a decent cu but fancy a change. Is a mare/beetle combo still good or would I be better upgrading one or the other? Thanks..

Mumm-ra

Freelsy

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All depends on what you intend on hunting. My general go to is a chiv/ai lesser hiryu. It's a beast and can take on.most foes.

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The mare beetle combo is somewhat dated. You can still kill stuff with it but they're both rather squishy and their combined damage output and survivability is nowhere near a modern day 5 slot pet. So I would suggest you use them until you have whatever pet you want to train up bonded and then switch.

I use these pets on a regular basis:

giant beetle with ai, rune corruption and poisoning

hiryu with ai and chiv

cu sidhe with ai and chiv

I have yet to find a monster I can't kill with at least one of these pets. I run a variety of templates with these, among them stealth tamer, disco tamer, provo tamer or spellweaving tamer with meditation.
The pets are all 120 in every skill (except poisoning on the beetle obviously) but I am sure you could do with 110 or 115 as long as you don't expect to be soloing Crimson Dragons (which all of my pets above can by the way).

For champ spawns you would need a pet with some kind of area damage but I remember you were a sampire, so do yourself a favor and use the sampire for spawns - tamers can do them but sampire is way faster.

Freelsy

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The mare beetle combo is somewhat dated. You can still kill stuff with it but they're both rather squishy and their combined damage output and survivability is nowhere near a modern day 5 slot pet. So I would suggest you use them until you have whatever pet you want to train up bonded and then switch.

hiryu with ai and chiv

I have yet to find a monster I can't kill with at least one of these pets. I run a variety of templates with these, among them stealth tamer, disco tamer, provo tamer or spellweaving tamer with meditation.
The pets are all 120 in every skill (except poisoning on the beetle obviously) but I am sure you could do with 110 or 115 as long as you don't expect to be soloing Crimson Dragons (which all of my pets above can by the way).

For champ spawns you would need a pet with some kind of area damage but I remember you were a sampire, so do yourself a favor and use the sampire for spawns - tamers can do them but sampire is way faster.

The Lord has spoken. Heed his word wisely.

RazicGL

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

hiryu with ai and chiv

Awesome advice , I had used the last of my crowns to buy soulstones and a mythic token to switch to tamer so as luck would have it I had a bonded lesser hyru that I used on my sampsampire. Will get it trained up as handy that it doubles as a mount. My cu is alright but cocked up with the fire resist so might be worth me getting a fresh one.

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
when looking for cu's you want one with as close to 600 hp as possible and above 600 str. If you're going for balanced resists, also look for one that has low cold and energy resist (around 70) then you can make a pet with 80 physical resist and 70 in all other resists. Or you go for all 80 resists and only 65 poison resist. Some people like the second approach, I prefer the first.

for the lesser hiryu you want one that spawns as 2 slot and then drops to 1 slot after taming - those have more points in resists and str and hp, saving you some points when adding abilities etc.

Are you turning your sampire into a tamer? I really wouldn't do that because Sampires usually have low int and high dex. While this is nice in combination with vet (bandage delay is determined by dex) low int is less than ideal if you want to use consume damage when your pet is tanking. Ideally you would use your alt as tamer.

Whatever you do please make sure you add the following stats while advancing your pet:

max out str (set it to 700) as this is relevant for damage calculation
max out base damage (this can be done twice, the second time only during the last level)
max out dex and stamina (both at 150) this determines the pet movement speed and the swing speed and thus increases damage output significantly
set mana regeneration to max
if you want to add stamina regeneration 5 is usually enough in case you are running out of points

messing up any of the above steps will result in a significantly less effective pet which is especially aggravating if you put (or rather wasted in that case) 120s on it....

RazicGL

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah I'm kind of switching between the 2 and rely on armour to boost int/mana. I am using vet so the high Dex helps. I already used the tokens and stones so stuck now lol.

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I've been reading my post over twice and was unable to find a passage that says "for your pet", care to use the quote/reply feature to make sure we're on the same page? are you refering to this passage:
Whatever you do please make sure you add the following stats while advancing your pet:

max out base damage (this can be done twice, the second time only during the last level)
max out dex and stamina (both at 150) this determines the pet movement speed and the swing speed and thus increases damage output significantly
if you want to add stamina regeneration 5 is usually enough in case you are running out of points

messing up any of the above steps will result in a significantly less effective pet which is especially aggravating if you put (or rather wasted in that case) 120s on it....
?

RazicGL

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry, that feature is tough on my phone. It's the "while advancing your pet" bit I meant.

RazicGL

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
well the above is true for pretty much any pet. the only exceptions are giant beetles and fire beetles. they spawn with 500 int and thus can not reach 700 str - they cap out at 678 str or so.