• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(Question) What mods do I need on a good bow against mages?

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Hey Arnold tells me, my bow is no good, so Tina Tink need help to make me a new bow.
My template is old school archer with poison, no bushido or other new fancy skills.
Because of the poison, I like to use an elven composite bow.
What mods should I put on the bow.
Yes I know, my whole template may sucks :p

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What is the template and how much stamina, mana, etc.

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
as an archer you have it a lot harder equimentwise. Basically there are two scenarios. You either plan to pvp 1on1, or you run with a group.

If you want to stand a chance 1on1 against anybody you need to run absolute high end equipment. you need at the very least 55 ssi, 210 stamina, max hci, all 70s, max dci and as much damage increase as you can fit.
This requires a suit that can't be easily replaced and thus is not a good idea on Siege unless you can be 100% sure that you won't be looted.
The bow depends on your opponent. Dexxers require different mods on the bow than mages do (as you realized).

If you're running with a group what you're looking for is burst damage. You need to be able to do as much damage with one hit as possible. This means you need to get a suit with max hci and 100% damage increase. everything else should be as high as possible of course but you don't need to swing your bow at 1.25 seconds for example (although it would help). Also your role within a group can vary. you might be the dismounter, or you can be the archer who chases redlined opponents down with moving shot. To get the most out of your burst damage you might want to have high hit spell and velocity on your bow.

Either way, it isn't easy to say this bow is what you need. It depends on who you're fighting and the scenario you're facing. I think the most viable bow in pvp is still the composite bow simpoly because it has armor ignore and moving shot. Without armor ignore your damage will be minimal because nobody runs with less than all 70s. The problem with a composite bow is still that it swings rather slowly so you need high stamina and ssi.

So as you can see there's no easy answer to your question...maybe none at all...

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
What is the template and how much stamina, mana, etc.
That depend of what suit I choose. This is without a bow in my hand. I will need SSI, DI and some HCI I guess but what more?
upload_2016-3-24_12-56-27.png

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Freja, switch to PVM, I show you a perfect bow for that kind of hunting :p

Bo Bo

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
your dex is too low cause you run healing. it takes too long for you to heal. you should have 120 dex for max healing

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I have the problem with my jewelry, that I will have 2x10 healing and 3x13 magery or more on them, that leave less room for HCI, DCI and DI

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
your dex is too low cause you run healing. it takes too long for you to heal. you should have 120 dex for max healing
Yes but that will give me less mana or less HP but I may try to change mod on Suit, next time I make a new one

Klapauc

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I play thrower here and choose to not pvp since i dont want to run the gear that is needed to kill anyone halfway decent at pvp, especially mages.
If i would try to pvp on an archer here, i would go with yumi + bushido for doubleshots. Needs 150 stam at 35 ssi for max swingspeed, so its way easier to build a suit for that then for comp bow wich needs 210 stam + 60 ssi .
Yumi with hld,ssi,di, delayed hitspell, velocity or balanced as 5. mod. Repeater with balanced, di , hld , hitspell and whatever for moving shots. Try to max out str and di, high tactics and anatomy to maximize base damage. 140 dex for max bandage speed. Bushido mastery for +15 mana passive, elf for another 20.
Such a temp would still be rng based, but a lucky doubleshot with all hitspells can do around 60 or more, and suit for that is resonably cheap. First important thing against mages is to have max swingspeed + hitspell to keep interrupting them. If they cant cast that often, you take less damage.
With your current setup you probably swing your elven composite longbow at 1.75 speed, which does mean they have to deal with a hit every 3.5 secs on average. Thats simply to much time for anyone halfway experienced at uo, and i believe arnie is very good.

Agra-Lem

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I do know Bushido would help me, but I choose poison instead. I will try to add more SI to my next suit. The poison do they both will have to cure and heal, so I believe that slow them down a little.
I will try with fireball on next bow and as much 40 SSI + the 5 from the town stone in New Mag. I may be able to get some dex added to suit too, when I feel for making a new one, they always get expensive :p

Ru TnT

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I haven't played around much with it, but doesn't the poisoning mastery allow you to use poison on any weapon? Since you seem set on poisoning, the mastery may allow you to use the other archery weapons.

If I have time later, I'll try testing the mastery, unless someone else has info about it.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I haven't played around much with it, but doesn't the poisoning mastery allow you to use poison on any weapon? Since you seem set on poisoning, the mastery may allow you to use the other archery weapons.
Poison mastery sucks, I do have level III but it a pain to add poison to the bows, you fail a lot and even when using deadly poison, you the poison level you hit with is to low and cost to much mana, it's not worth it. Only good thing is the better poison resist you get as passive, no need for orange petals, poison don't effect me much.

RueTor

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The only way to get your perfect bow is to embrace a spreadsheet program and start plugging in values from the entire suit, skills, stats. Any examples suggested will probably miss the mark. Also, mages with high DCI, dodge, parry, etc. may just be hard to get that initial hit.

Key bow Items (assuming you are going to use it as your blessed item):
  • HCI (can't kill what you can't hit) = 45 total from suit & bow
  • HLD (can't kill what you can't hit) = 50
  • SSI (more swings for more hits) = 30 + 10 from enhancing = 40 (you can also try to re-forge a bow for that extra 10 SSI for a total of 50 SSI)(follow the advise on raising dex/stam to increase SSI and use the SSI calculators to determine what you need)
  • DI (make the hits count) = 50 (get as close to your 100 max damage as possible)
  • Balanced (allows pots to boost stats/heal/cure etc.)
Also, if going the re-forge route, 100% elemental bow is nice to avoid reflect damage. As for an example bow, play around with some of the imbuing web sites to see what you like.

Based on your basic HCI being at 36 (and not changing anything else on you suit/stats). Max everything and dump the rest into HCI.
bow - balanced.jpeg

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Naeh bow won't be blessed :p, I choose to bless my Conjurer Trinket as this 20 DI and 10 HCI are harder for me to replace than the bow.
So I don't need 50 DI on bow, 44 or so should do. Yes I will get the 30+10 SSI.
HLD may be a good idea.
I may reforge some HPI on suit so I don't need them on bow.
Balance, never used that, I have a macro on my new keyboard, that let me join 3 keys to one, so I with one key can drop bow, drink heal, arm bow. I have 3 set up for the 3 uoa arm keys and heal pot and 3 for cure pot. It do not take that long. I don't feel balance is worth a slot as this old lady always forget using her pots anyway.

Thanks all for all the good input, I sure learned a few thing and will see how I can improve my suit and bows.