• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What is there to do in this game as a tamer?

C

cac

Is it worth it to get 120 in all 6 skills?
Taming
lore
vet
music
disco
magery

I haven't done any ml dungons or sa? I like to do champ and doom? What else is there to do?

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A tamer can kill anything in game except:
Paroxysmus
Stygian Dragon
Slasher of Veils

More often than not, the tamer can do it without help from other players.

So once you get good at taming, the world is your oyster!

So its well worth the effort to train up a tamer.

Grimwar

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A tamer can kill anything in game except:
Paroxysmus
Stygian Dragon
Slasher of Veils

More often than not, the tamer can do it without help from other players.

So once you get good at taming, the world is your oyster!

So its well worth the effort to train up a tamer.
Very good, ALL of the above is correct.
I think you may need 120 tamining and lore, reason is to tame higher pets and control them.

Garm The Green

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is it worth it to get 120 in all 6 skills?
Taming
lore
vet
music
disco
magery

I haven't done any ml dungons or sa? I like to do champ and doom? What else is there to do?
Not unless you really like he idea of it.
110-115 is fine and much cheaper.

Barely any point in 120 as all pets except dread mare/fire steed/bane drag can be controlledwith 110 tame 115 lore.
110 vet is fine, magery 100-110. music and disco have to be 120 (by jewels or real skill) or are useless for big game.

i'd recomend

110 Taming
110 lore
100 vet
120 music
120 disco
100 magery
40-60 med

if you can put 60-40 points on jewels, then 100 med is awesome for spamming g-heals/ disco mastery spell.

:)

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Not unless you really like he idea of it.
110-115 is fine and much cheaper.

Barely any point in 120 as all pets except dread mare/fire steed/bane drag can be controlledwith 110 tame 115 lore.
110 vet is fine, magery 100-110. music and disco have to be 120 (by jewels or real skill) or are useless for big game.

i'd recomend

110 Taming
110 lore
100 vet
120 music
120 disco
100 magery
40-60 med

if you can put 60-40 points on jewels, then 100 med is awesome for spamming g-heals/ disco mastery spell.

My advice would be to drop vet ten points from the above suggestion and take 120 taming. You can use enhanced bandages to bring the vet back to 100. That would allow you to have a 99% chance to control anything in the game, and would make taming high end pets much easier. Assuming you actually want to tame things... :)

Garm The Green

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
drop vet ten and take 120 taming. That would allow you to have a 99% chance to control anything in the game
But is more expensive, takes ages to train for the benefit of controlling 3 creatures?
I'd rather reattempt to tame a GD/CU an extra 10 times than tame ki rin and ridge backs in seemingly endless numbers...

I just dont have the stamina!

You see, i think Llewen may be a true tamer, and a bit more purist than myself perhaps....? So, i guess it's whatever suits your playstyle!

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
You see, i think Llewen may be a true tamer, and a bit more purist than myself perhaps....?
Well, I don't know about the "purist" part. I have no problem with my +15 taming ring. But I'll tell you a little story which might explain why I think 120 taming is important for a tamer who actually wants to, you know, tame things.

A Tale of Two Tamers

Do you believe in parallel universes? I do, and once upon a time in two parallel universes two tamers were running through dungeon Destard in the dark facet Felucca. Why they were there is unimportant. Maybe they were checking out the vortex of evil deep in the heart of the dungeon, maybe they were going for a scenic stroll, who knows?

They both on a whim examined a great dragon, and they both liked what they saw. In fact neither of them had never seen a finer example of dragon flesh. So they each decided to tame this great dragon, and add it to their stable.

Now the first tamer was a legendary tamer. It took him three tries, and one unfortunate grey robe, but he got his dragon and led it out of the dungeon. He summoned a magical gate and the last thing he saw before he stepped through the gate was a band of blood thirsty thugs. He knew of these particular villains, and he was thankful that he had narrowly escaped with his great prize, and that none of them could follow him where he went.

The second tamer was only a mythical tamer. In this parallel universe he was on his fifth attempt at subduing the great beast, and his second unfortunate grey robe, when a band of bloodthirsty thugs set upon him and slew him. And alas, they had seen what he was attempting to do, and out of sheer spite, they also slew the great dragon he was befriending.

If only it had only taken him three tries, he would have had his great prize, and narrowly escaped, just like his legendary friend in the parallel universe, but it sadly, it was not to be.

And the moral of this story? Sometimes a task which cannot be completed quickly, cannot be completed at all.

A

adester

You could always bring it up to 115 and carry your taming tali with you. Unless thats what you use normally. I normally go 110 and carry the tali for tames.
I used to be 120 but unfortunely I needed the skill points.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have 1 tamer who I felt I should train to 120/120/120 just to achieve the goal of fully training her as a tamer. And she's my go anywhere, tame anything char so it made sense to give her the max skills. My others range from less than 100 to 110, skill caps depending what they tame and handle. I keep my real skill at the level I need, then I often have a few skill points free to use elsewhere in the template.

Look at the pets you'll be using regularly, see what their control requirements are for 99% control(ideally), then set that as your real skill target.

To tame a new pet, unless you're planning to tame critters 24/7, you can simply put on a skill item to speed the process up if you feel the need. I've tamed plenty of pets with just 110 on my younger tamers. 115-120 is more necessary for stuff like banes and greater draggies. 115 scrolls are far cheaper than the 120s though.

As for what to do, well, pretty much whatever you like. It depends on your ability to work with and support your pets, how good and trained they are and how well you handle the spawns. The most fun I have with my tamer is trying things out by myself to see what my pets are capable of. Exploring areas I wouldn't have taken another char to. That kinda thing. Each time you succeed or fail in those adventures, you'll learn something.

Wenchy

Garm The Green

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
LLewen; I surely have been told that tale before, and fantastic one it is too!

However, maybe it is my fading memory but i am sure i was told a story of the same tamers, but perhaps with a different flavour!

A Tale of Two Tamers

Do you believe in parallel universes? I do, and once upon a time in two parallel universes two tamers were running through dungeon Destard in the dark facet Felucca. Why they were there is unimportant. Maybe they were checking out the vortex of evil deep in the heart of the dungeon, maybe they were going for a scenic stroll, who knows?

They both on a whim examined a great dragon, and they both liked what they saw. In fact neither of them had never seen a finer example of dragon flesh. So they each decided to tame this great dragon, and add it to their stable.

Now the first tamer was a legendary tamer. He was poor, bitter and old because he had spent all his time taming endless ki rin and ridgebacks and spent much money on powerscrolls. His skill was great but his robes were terrible quality as he had not hunted for treasures, instead choosing to tame! When he died he could barely afford the insurance for his robes, and this happened often as though he was a great tamer, he was a weak and inexperienced hunter. As he died some poachers stole his prize dragon for a wallmount.

The second tamer was only a mythical tamer but he had spent time hunting, completing champ spawns and peerless instead of fruitless taming. His pets were also highly trained as a result but his hunting skills were sharper and his equipment the best. No dragon could fell him. Enduring firebreaths and surviving, he tamed the dragon though it took 7 tries and when poachers appeared he had the speed of casting and strength to survive their attack and gate away

though it took him more attempts, he won his great prize, and narrowly escaped. His legendary friend in the parallel universe should have had the hunting skill and equiptment to empower him to complete all needed tasks but it sadly, it was not to be.

And the moral of this story? The true value of how you spend your time, is not measured in skill points but in many ways. Each choice has consequences and in this life there are alays two sides to a coin. And taming in felucca is a bad way to start a day if you are worried about loosing a pet!

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
However, maybe it is my fading memory but i am sure i was told a story of the same tamers, but perhaps with a different flavour!

*snip*
I have 120 taming, and I assure you, I have excellent equipment, and a great deal of experience. My pets are fully trained, and the quality of my stable is likely as good as anyone's in the game. You do have a point though, because I have spent so much time farming pets (and not just to train, I do it for the fun of searching for that perfect pet), my characters aren't as rich as many in the game who are as old as mine are. However, I guess we all make our choices. :)

You could always bring it up to 115 and carry your taming tali with you. Unless thats what you use normally. I normally go 110 and carry the tali for tames.
I'm not a big fan of switching equipment around to match the context, or of using soul stones to switch skills around. I confuse easily, and I'm not the world's fastest learner, so I like to keep my template and equipment as consistent as possible so that I am as experienced as possible with that specific equipment and that specific template.

I do carry substitute jewels to maximize my stable slots, and I can switch them around with a key press, but even that small simple variation has come close to spelling disaster for me on one or two occasions because I've forgotten to switch back to my regular jewelry after switching them out to stable some pets. And I'm sure it will again...

Garm The Green

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have 120 taming, and I assure you, I have excellent equipment, and a great deal of experience. My pets are fully trained, and the quality of my stable is likely as good as anyone's in the game. You do have a point though, because I have spent so much time farming pets (and not just to train, I do it for the fun of searching for that perfect pet), my characters aren't as rich as many in the game who are as old as mine are. However, I guess we all make our choices. :)
just to clarify - I loved you post, thought it was very classy and wasn't looking to discredit you :p
I can totally understand and respect you philosphy - I'm sure your pets and equip are far better than mine! :D