• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What Is The Most Difficult To Find "Good Pet"???

• Thread starter joblackjon
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
J

joblackjon

Pet ratings are according to the Pet Calculator...
http://www.uocraft.com/calc_pets.php

I recently accidently lost/killed a much valued 4.3 Bake Kitsuni and wanted to replace her. So I examined (and killed!) 70 Kits (I kept score!) and the best I found was one at 3.5 and one at 3.8. Mind you I did pocket 65K in gold.

The last time I searched for a good Kit, I spent about 60 hrs to find that one 4.3 Kit and the second best I found was a 3.8.

This is my same experience with Mares...good ones are VERY hard to find!

Meanwhile I've tamed no more than 6 Cu (arguably the strongest tame in the game) and I have a 4.1 and 4.3.

This all seems terribly unbalanced?!?!?!?!

Opinions...

E

elenka

You just got lucky with your cus
, plus they have so many hitpoints that I think pet calc doesn't give correct rating. You can get over 4 rating for cu with great resists but very low hitpoints/strength which makes huge difference if it's 100 hitpoints less than max.

Really good cu is very hard to come across, I tamed a good one with 591 hitpoints, 612 strength and 64/42/82/50/82 resists about a week ago, it's the best I ever tamed and I tamed LOTS!

Elly

I

imported_Leto

I'd say a Rune Beetle.

For a Cu, and most other pets, the only pre-tame stats that matter are hitpoints and resists. In a Rune Beetle you also want high eval and poisoning skills. Oh and above avarage dexterity doesn't hurt either.
So instead of 6 properties for most pets, you're looking for 9 in a Rune Beetle!

I

imported_Jimmy Pop

That Pet Calculator has flawed logic, and probably won't be updated any time soon.

You may have killed some very good Cu's looking for one that "scored" well using that system.

Check the sticky above for the problem with that calculator.

And a great Rune Beetle has got to be the hardest pet to find. Probably followed by a great Kit.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I'll just second what has already been said. The rune beetle is probably the most difficult, followed by the bake kitsune. The older pets, such as the dragon, white wyrm, and nightmare are among the easiest to find really good ones for, because they don't have as wide ranges in their stats and resists, and you aren't looking for anything over gm in skills.

G

I dont believe there has been any proof provided that a 110 poison beetle is worse than a 126 poison beetle... have not seen any proof that a low end dex beetle is worse than a high end dex beetle, other than the oh look at what I got factor and or this new craze about what some program says about how great a pet is aka a high end beetle is leaps and bounds better than a low end beetle.

If a tamer or rather the player has no clue how to handle a spawn or the pet then the greatest numbers on a pet are pretty much worthless..

I

imported_Leto

I don't really care about 'power-ratings' either and I agree it's the tamer that makes or breaks the combo, not the pet. But the difference between a good pet and a mediocre one is not to be underestimated.

I can't say I've noticed much difference between beetles with high or low poisoning either. However, I'm quite sure high dex does make a difference. The difference in speed with melee attacks probably isn't much more then 0.25 or maybe 0.5 seconds so again it isn't very noticable. But I'm confident the difference is there.

What I look for in a beetle (and basicly any pet) in order of importance: Resists, Hitpoints, Eval, Poisoning, Stamina, Intelligence.

B

BadManiac

Hardest to find good pet is without competition the Reptalon. It spawns in an impossibly hard to reach place, they are immensely hard to tame, and even if you get a perfect one, it's still absolutely useless. I love 'em

G

<blockquote><hr>

they are immensely hard to tame,

[/ QUOTE ]

I have tamed several and to be honest Ive always gotten one on the first or second tame.... Mares give me more trouble than the rep does....

yes getting them out without a rend eating you or the miasma is the fun part....

I

imported_lindylou

<blockquote><hr>

That Pet Calculator has flawed logic, and probably won't be updated any time soon.

[/ QUOTE ] I saw that issue right off the bat and stopped using it. I found that poor cu sidhes, according to the calculator, were actually very good pets and I just used my own brain in figuring out what was a good pet.

I

imported_Jimmy Pop

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ] I saw that issue right off the bat and stopped using it. I found that poor cu sidhes, according to the calculator, were actually very good pets and I just used my own brain in figuring out what was a good pet.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Pet Calculator would be an excellent tool if it were fixed. It's very nice to have a "set standard" for evaluating and comparing pets.

I just cringe every time I think about how many great Cu's or Kit's were killed because the tamer put their numbers in that calculator and they just didn't make the grade.

Read the sticky to see what's wrong with it. Perhaps someone with some Web experience could put together a new tool?

I

imported_Sarphus

I find the best way to evaluate a pet is to know what that specific pet is used for and know what stats you need to do that effectively.

I knew the pet calculator was't useful by just taking a cursory glance at it. I know a lot about how pets function in UO and I can tell you that my pets are a LOT better than a lot of pet builds that will score higher because the calculator is wrong. The issues other people are talking about in this thread are just the tip of the iceburg. I used the calculator once and decided it was of no use to me.

As for what pet is the most difficult to get a perfect one... Rune beetle is probably statistically most difficult to find a perfect pet, but I am not convinced that some of the stats on a rune beetle really impact its performance.

It is easier to find a perfect resist rune beetle (and resists definitely do matter) than it is to find a perfect resist bake. Bakes also have a large variance on their HP, which makes good bakes exceptionally rare.

I'm not saying finding a good bake is harder than finding a good beetle. I'm just saying that the 2 pet types are both extremely time consuming to find a good pet. It's not particularly difficult to farm or tame any pet in the game imo. You just have to use the right tactics. That is why I and talking about which is the most time consuming rather than difficult.

Also, a tip if you are taming reptalons. Just let them attack you from deeper in the maze and wait for them to path to you. Once they get to you you just peace em and tame em. I find this taming strategy to be a lot safer than going back to where they spawn because I tend to get overwhelmed when I do that.

I also wanted to comment on what microelf said. I agree that your actual ability to control a pet is the most important thing, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try to get good pets. If you want to take your pet to a place where it will be taking a lot of hits, you need to first get a pet that can take the hits. If you get adequately powerful pets you can solo shimmering effusion on a discord tamer. You don't need good pets to a lot of stuff, though. I think a tamer's pets are the direct equivalent to a dexer's weapon. A dexer with a bad weapon will always perform worse than a dexer of the same skill level that's using a better weapon. The only difference is that pets also have resistances, so they equate roughly to a dexer's suit as well.

Alezi

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

I'd say a Rune Beetle.

For a Cu, and most other pets, the only pre-tame stats that matter are hitpoints and resists. In a Rune Beetle you also want high eval and poisoning skills. Oh and above avarage dexterity doesn't hurt either.
So instead of 6 properties for most pets, you're looking for 9 in a Rune Beetle!

[/ QUOTE ]Nearly perfect rune beetle here

I was just stunned when I found him. I was lucky to tame it with the first try (110 taming + crap resist LRC on)

I

imported_Leto

That's a very nice beetle indeed! You should post it's poisoning and eval skills aswell, since that's something many people look for in a beetle.

Alezi

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

That's a very nice beetle indeed! You should post it's poisoning and eval skills aswell, since that's something many people look for in a beetle.

[/ QUOTE ]Too bad the poisoning skill is only 118.8 and eval 98.6