• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What Hunting Spawns Do you Miss From The Past?

Cerwin Vega

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was bored the other day and thought about going out hunting. As I ran places to hunt thru my mind I thought about all the places that have changed and how I miss the old spots.
Two places that instantly came to mind were Castle Blackthorn in Ilshenar and Despise. I understand they blew up the castle for an event and they revamped Despise to try to get people interested in going back to the older dungeons. To me I dont think they made the right decision changing these places forever... but thats just my opinion.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Covetous Lich Room. Liches used to be a pretty good source of gold/loot if you had a GM Warrior with a Silver weapon. Was pretty dangerous though. People used to think i was nuts for solo hunting in the Lich Room late at night when noone else was there. I'd occasionally have to send a late-night ICQ to someone to come rez me hopefully before my body and loot decayed, lol. I was able to buy my first Large Tower in UO with the gold+Silver/Power Kat that i had farmed up in the Lich Room.
Used to hunt Elder Gazers in Shame too for gold/loot.

Val-Tur

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Off the top of my head: I miss Despise Ogre Lord Island (Trammel), Covetous level 2 (numerous good camping spots), covetous level 3 was fun until Cora, & the orc spawn on Ice Island SE side (it was bugged & they removed it because the GMs got tired people paging for them to fix it - the chests kept stacking on top of each other to the sky).

AntyvasII

Seasoned Veteran
UNLEASHED
the orc spawn on Ice Island SE side (it was bugged & they removed it because the GMs got tired people paging for them to fix it - the chests kept stacking on top of each other to the sky).
I always wondered what happened to them! Never noticed the chests doing that. Too bad they couldn't just make the chests stop spawning and them always have a prisoner instead.

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Trying to remember, all I can think of is recalling to an OLD hunting area after being gone for 8 yrs only to get my butt kicked in the first five minutes because they revamp the monsters.

TrackStar

Journeyman
In 1997/98 when we were all newbs and going to the Orc Fort with my guild was amazing fun.

And in the same era, using blade spirits to kill Earth Elementals on the bottom floor in Shame.

Mr Bug

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Balrons in Hythloth they always dropped a decent sword every time and sometimes vanquishing + they still looked cool with the archdemon graphic.

Maith Ceol

Journeyman
Governor
Stratics Veteran
The Meer catacombs, the castle near Compassion by where the champ's spawn was this last event, and the desert outside gargoyle city but really I just like to be able to run into the city. I also really miss the gold elementals and all the monsters under Blackthorns castle

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Mr Bug

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Anyone remember when liches spawned in the Yew crypts? My first encounter with a lich I think and a fireball killed me.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I loved the bottom of Covetous and going in the end cell with the rotting corpses and fighting them for hours. When done fighting I would hide and log out there. I had to be away for a while and the changes happened while I was away and I was not aware that covetous got a whole lot different. LOL I didn't make it out alive.

JoO

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When the Meer cast the “decay” spell and turned yew into a swamp and the plague beasts first started spawning. You could summon creatures on a mage and feed them to the plague beasts. The more you fed them the stronger they got and the more loot they dropped. My brother in law and myself would drag one to our house and feed it for hours.
Little Easter egg/hidden mechanics like that are what really made UO great.