• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What has happened to the "spirit" of x-shard trading???

• Thread starter Lustig als'Holle
  • Start date
  • Watchers 1
L

Lustig als'Holle

What is up with all the posts either selling the rare icy patches or gift boxes, or offering to trade only for the same? Where is the spirit of xshard trading that sometimes you might give away a rare item and get common items in return, but other times you may be the recipient, so for the most part it all works out in the end? I haven't conducted any trades yet this year, but it seems like the trading of past years ended at least with the white stuffies, if not sooner. I guess that's all I have to say, so feel free to flame away.

B

BardMal

I don't worry about it bro, and I don't believe you should either.

Those of us who have been trading with each other for the years seem to be continuing to trade in the customary manner.

If others want to make their trades specifically that way, I think they limit themselves and not us.

Like you said, it all seems to balance out in the end. We have given away some of the "rare" icy patches, and we have received them from others. Same with the boxes. We are not seeming to get the white card, but one of our trade partners told us he only got one white card out of 700 gift boxes, so we aren't too concerned about that, we still have 500 or so trades to complete.

Myself, I am happy when I gift one of my trade partners with something they wanted on their shard.

We did our Baja trades and I was sad to discover that we only gave our friends one "goodie" out of some 80ish items. Oriana and Sara are wonderful people, and I wish I could give them more.

When we trade with you, I hope we hand you exactly what you are hoping for, or better.

Oriana

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We were tickled to get that Icy patch though Mal so don't even stress. I am so glad we managed to give you what we did. Sara and I had some shards we don't have regulars on and decided to go the route of picking gifts and trading to hopefully finding ones for the future. So far I have 2 more that I look forward to seeing again.

Minerva Foxglove

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was wondering the opposite. Im not used to go trough this page, but I did this year and I will continue.
Being on Europa , hanging out on American shards looking for traders made very long nights. Im not a big trader but I made one person on Atlantics happy with an icy patch of the rare kind. I got no rare but I had felt guilty if I had been luckier than my trading partner , who obviously was alot more comitted to this (Avenhar)
From that trade I learnt there were two rare items this year so not much use to ask for anything but boxes with icy patches in. I had six characters on Napa,found noone to trade with there , opened my gifts, saw I had nothing good there. That way I dont need to trade that shard. (im very busy in UO and time is precious)

My last shard was Lake Superior .. think I had 18 chars and I thought it would be rational to open the gifts and just trade the important ones. I saw others doing that and it would again save time. I got two rare boxes but I dont find anyone to trade them with. One guy wanted to trade one box but he went silent.

With gifts like this im going to make more characters for next year.
But you ppl here thinks its better to trade all gifts than to be rational and just trade the important ones?

L

LadyPixieDust

I do Minerva!
I have more fun opening the present maybe? *chuckles*
That and yes I'd rather my "surprise" be given as well. Traders choice. Most wanted ice patches, but I had one trader that wanted snow piles, and to them I gave 3 rarer boxes in one trade! I wasn't having the best of luck with the rares this year, even the boxes. =(
But I do prefer the older way of trading, and will stick to these ways in future trades!

L

Lustig als'Holle

I was wondering the opposite. Im not used to go trough this page, but I did this year and I will continue.
Being on Europa , hanging out on American shards looking for traders made very long nights. Im not a big trader but I made one person on Atlantics happy with an icy patch of the rare kind. I got no rare but I had felt guilty if I had been luckier than my trading partner , who obviously was alot more comitted to this (Avenhar)
From that trade I learnt there were two rare items this year so not much use to ask for anything but boxes with icy patches in. I had six characters on Napa,found noone to trade with there , opened my gifts, saw I had nothing good there. That way I dont need to trade that shard. (im very busy in UO and time is precious)

My last shard was Lake Superior .. think I had 18 chars and I thought it would be rational to open the gifts and just trade the important ones. I saw others doing that and it would again save time. I got two rare boxes but I dont find anyone to trade them with. One guy wanted to trade one box but he went silent.

With gifts like this im going to make more characters for next year.
But you ppl here thinks its better to trade all gifts than to be rational and just trade the important ones?
If your only goal is to get the rare icy patches and gift boxes, then trading like you suggest does meet this goal. However, this has not always been the case, as some years did not have any really rare items, and some people are actually going after "complete" collections, rather than just trying to corner the market on the rares. This year, I am sure a number of people are trying to complete set of holiday cards, whether trying to get all of the dev names and/or colors, and in trading as you suggested, this just wouldn't be very possible.

I actually plan to get several of each of the other items (eggnog, snow piles, and garland) during my trading, although I would like to get at least one rare icy patch as well, and possibly even a white card, but that is not as "important" to me at this time. I am not trying to complete the holiday card collection though, but I usually hang on to the cards I receive until I need storage space, in case somebody else on my shard is trying to complete the set (and then I would give them the cards for free). So while trading as you suggested would get me the rare items, it wouldn't give me much else, and since I am trying to save some of my own tickets mainly for the character names, I would find it difficult to get even the basic items without trading in the "traditional" method.

So, yes, there are many people here who feel it is important to trade all gifts, as what one person might find "important" is not what everyone might find "important". Please don't read this as me putting down your beliefs though, as to each their own, and I was commenting more on the practice of people offering the items for sale or trade for like items only, rather than the trading that has traditionally been done; heck, I really wish the posts of items for sale were moved/removed from this forum, as it seems to be completely against the spirit of trading, but I don't recall this forum's ToS to know what it actually says about it.

Anyway, my 2 gp worth. Carrion (yeah, I know it's carry on, but I like the animal carcass reference much better!!!).

Minerva Foxglove

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I really dont collect sets of anything, just save some items I find pretty and fit in my decorations. Next year I will have around 20 chars on many shards and trade all gifts then. It will take time but if the pressies are as nice as this year its worth it !

B

BardMal

It is actually easier to just straight trade with trustworthy people and increase ones chances, than it is to try and hook up with someone willing to drop identical items from a shard you don't want to your main shard.

This is, of course, provided you have enough accounts to make persistent, large trades.

For example, we have traded with Demonious for a few years now. Out of some 60 boxes this season, I don't think we handed him a single rare, which bummed me out. I don't know for sure, because I didn't look inside the boxes. However, I think he has a whole set from all his other trades.

All you really need for this thing to work out, is a community of people with integrity on each shard and maybe 20 or so chars across the board, and pretty much everyone in the circle will get something good on each of their main shards.

When people use "common sense" they actually limit themselves and an entire community which could swap and fulfill each other.

It really is a reflection of the level of consciousness of the individuals involved. A fear based mentality focusing on "lack" will greedily hold onto the little it has and struggle for the highest compensation. A "trust" based mentality focused on abundance will share and recieve abundantly.

Laina

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I really like the traditional method of trading. I have built up a lot of lasting relationships over the years and this year I have enjoyed handing out icy patches and pretty neon boxes as much as receiving them. While picking through for the individual items might be more time efficient for some people, I find my fun in game has more to do with the people I have met and the friends I have made.

A

Anubis_cuk

I usually only trade the old way - blind for blind. Out of 8 shards I have given away 1 ice patch and 2 boxes and received the same (including ine and box in one ticket). I di feel a bit sad if someone gives me a rare and I can't give one back and always apologise but anyone who's worth his salt accepts this anyway and hopes that they can give away 6 or 7 rares :)

I have my 1 ice patch and a few nice snow/eggnogs etc so am more after the boxes so if anywaon wants to trade a box and some misc items for 7 unopened tickets please ICQ 10288042 :)

K

Kailee

I went the traditional way but being as I was headed out of town i was down to 2 shards left and traded them to whichever shards people had which were not my own. Those trades gave me rare items only them did i attempt to get those same on my home shards but in total I gave away over 15 rare boxes and 7 icy patchs getting none on my home shard. I prefer letting ppl choose their own gift and usually if i get a rare great if not no big deal.

B

BardMal

I went the traditional way but being as I was headed out of town i was down to 2 shards left and traded them to whichever shards people had which were not my own. Those trades gave me rare items only them did i attempt to get those same on my home shards but in total I gave away over 15 rare boxes and 7 icy patches getting none on my home shard. I prefer letting ppl choose their own gift and usually if i get a rare great if not no big deal.
What shard do you play on Kailee?

We have about a 3/5 return on rare icy patches. It might be worse, about a 100 boxes I never even looked in.

In a Formosa/Legends trade last night we gave 2 neon boxes out of 12, and got no new ones ourselves. But our count on neon boxes is something like 17, so over all it is working out.

If you are trading in that volume and not receiving reciprocation in a similar volume, someone in your circle might be skimming. If Ally and I can fit you in our circle of traders without bumping one of our long term trade partners, we won't skim your trades.

K

Kailee

I play Great Lakes mainly but also play on Catskills I had 6 chars per shard on all but asain and some from my other account but that was just a cpl here or there but I truely dont think anyone I traded with was keeping the rares I just think I was unlucky because all of them allowed me to choose my gifts and there was nothing to make me think anything but that they gave me what they got.

Elffin

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I prefer the old way of trading myself. But sometimes go a step further, If the other person goes 1st and does say... 14 items and gives me a rare box/ice or card then i will do their 14 and if i get nothing rare i will try and open another accounts worth and in all cases this year i have managed to get them a rare to even the score. After all they dont cost me anything. So far i got 17 neon boxes, 3 rare ice patches and 1 white card. (i also find out now that some of the solid coloured boxes are rare too so i got to go thru those now!)

I too still have several shards to trade, finding time to log each and every character on all 9 accounts is too time consuming, but i am sure i will get them all logged in before the 19th.

Elf.

Sellingahouse

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Every year I trade the one for one with 4+ accounts on all shards. This year I wasnt going to trade at all until I saw the boxes. Well my brother got on his account and got all the presents and I was yelling at him saying how I couldnt trade his account now.

Well I found it easy to trade his rares for rares on our shard, so I did it with all accounts. I have got the most every (10+ years) of rare gifts on my shard. I didnt even get a white stuffy last year in return for the 3 I handed out. I did get rare bells, but no globes. I had to buy my castle and keep deeds on my shard.

You know how many rares I hand over every year and maybe get one on my shard in return. I dont think I will go back to trading the old way. Im so mad I didnt do this years ago, I wish I would of done it last year. Now everyone go ahead and yell at me. I will still be very happy because I have got over 10 neon boxes on my shard so far. enjoy