• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What good is resisting spells?

Edgar

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Do I even need it? Here are my skills

Archery 120
Healing 120
Tactics 110
Anamtoy 110
Resist 110
Bushido 100
Chivalry 50

Should I drop Resist for more Chivalry and Tactics? Or at least lower it. I'm not even really sure I need resist now at all.
Thanks for any input.
Ed

R

RenaLynne

I would say little to no good. I dropped it from both of my dexxers.

C

Corrupted Goblin

I would say little to no good. I dropped it from both of my dexxers.
This answer would be incorrect for PVP. As an archer you need to be able to avoid paralyze and if your not running a balanced bow you also need to be able to avoid poison.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've been wondering the same thing for a while now. I play PvM only, and I very rarely go up against any real high end magic monsters (I usually draw the line at liches). Is it really all that necessary? I have it on my mage & 2 of my warriors, but he (the mage) is pretty much just a magic mule at this point. I use him mostly for marking runes and making scrolls. Once in a while he'll go take down a few ogre lords, but beyond that he's not much of a combat character. Would I be better suited to drop his resist and give him something else like necro or SW? As for the warriors, they hardly face magic monsters anymore, and they're melee (swords & fencing). Maybe lich hunting, but that's about the end of it.

Nine Dark Moons

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
good question Edgar, been wondering that myself lately. i'm strictly PvM. so i'm guessing it's fairly useless unless you're PvP? i used to think it helped you resist damage from all spells, but then i read it's only certain spells and it doesn't give you 100% resist even if you're resisting spells is 120. is that right?

Black Sun i'm the same way - my chars with resist spells typically don't do all that much fighting. i'm wondering if i should just ditch it and get something far more useful. along those lines, does anyone have suggestions for good additions if we drop resisting spells from our templates? my mage already has inscription which has proven very useful.

Bomb Bloke

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It did once block spell damage, this is true.

Now it softens the effects of spells. Curse, for example, won't last as long on you, nor will it give you such a bad stat penalty.

And unless your opponent has some serious magery skills, they'll have a hard time casting poison or paralyse on a resister.

Outside of PvP these spells are much less worrisome (as the monsters use no logic in their casting).

SR still grants some resistance against damage, but it's pitiful (44 elemental resist all around at 120) and doesn't stack with your armor. Might stop a res kill, if someone with Compassion resses you, but that's about it.

Edgar

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mainly use him for Doom, but I do hunt in fel so I have to be able to defend myself there too. My biggest thing is that when I do hunt in fel, I rarely see other people. Even if I do, I know most of them.
Ed

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In PvM it's kind of nice to have Resist, because the spell casting monsters have a knack of poisoning you and mana draining you at the most inopportune times.

In PvP sadly trapped boxes, potions and petals remove the need for magic resist on a template.

The changes to Magic Resist, in my mind, was dumb as well as very annoying considering how long it takes to raise the skill.

I also find it funny how you can have 120 magic resist and resist the paralyze spell every time, yet an archer can hit you with their para special and you can't resist it. EA are a bunch of :loser:

R

RenaLynne

Well, I dont pvp so theres never a time I cant get body or my stuff is stolen...But I do know many pvpers that do.

Bomb Bloke

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The changes to Magic Resist, in my mind, was dumb as well as very annoying considering how long it takes to raise the skill.
Since the introduction of New Haven, it's now possible to go from 0 to past GM in a couple of hours. The Spectral Spellbinder casts no damaging spells, sticking entirely to debuffs. Luring twenty or more onto yourself (or a pet), then sitting in a boat (where they can't melee you), will give gains at an insanely high rate.

I don't quite get how the changes could be perceived as "dumb". To my understanding, at least, these would be the reasons for them:

It used to be that armor blocked physical damage, and spell resist dealt with elemental damage.

Then along came armor that could block elemental damage as well. Spell resist, in it's original form, was effectively nerfed.

So now we have a skill that lets you prevent people hitting you with a paralyse spell (then following up with the nastiest spells/abilities at their disposal).

T

Thrand Graywolf

I think it's necessary, and I seem to survive a lot better than people who won't use it.

It limits all curses or debuffs.

Your stats won't drop as much or for as long when cursed.

Mana drain doesn't last as long.

Most necro spells are their necro vs your resist.

At high resist you basically walk right through paralyze.

Most of the time poison spells won't work on you.

And recently they changed it to let resist block some of the reflected damage from Blood Oath...so people with resist are less likely to suicide if they are in the middle of a swing when they get hit with blood oath and are fighting with a slayer or enemy of one.

If you don't fight things that cast, especially necromancers, then sure, you can do without it.

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Since the introduction of New Haven, it's now possible to go from 0 to past GM in a couple of hours. The Spectral Spellbinder casts no damaging spells, sticking entirely to debuffs. Luring twenty or more onto yourself (or a pet), then sitting in a boat (where they can't melee you), will give gains at an insanely high rate.
This is actually illegal and techncally banable.

edit:
In PvP trapped boxes and petals and pots pretty much negate the need for resist.

L

Locker

I also find it funny how you can have 120 magic resist and resist the paralyze spell every time, yet an archer can hit you with their para special and you can't resist it. EA are a bunch of :loser:
What's funny about that? The archer paralyzed you by shooting you with his bow in your "freeze nerve" not by casting a spell. Last time I check it was Resisting Spells not Resisting Arrows.

Peace,

-L

Pickaxe Pete

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mainly use him for Doom, but I do hunt in fel so I have to be able to defend myself there too.
Worth it for Doom. The Dark Father's Blood Oath will kill you without it. And, the paralyzation from lich lords, among others, will get you too often.

In Fel, it is useful as well when a pk shows up.

Otherwise it is just a convenience to have, as it lessens the chance of being paralyized, poisoned and debuffed, which can take valuable time and/or mana to counteract.

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What's funny about that? The archer paralyzed you by shooting you with his bow in your "freeze nerve" not by casting a spell. Last time I check it was Resisting Spells not Resisting Arrows.

Peace,

-L

Get off your archer and play mage.

G

GFY

I have resist on all the characters I use often. It comes in real handy when your doing peerless or fighting for keys. Also don't forget no matter what the resist are in your suit, if your hit with the curse spell all your resist drop to 60. That can be a real pain if your fighting travesty or some of the other named monsters.

As far as pvp goes, if your paralyzed and killed by a mage or necro you'll put resist on your character asap.

Kaleb

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In PvP unless your running a gimp template its advised, In pvm not as much but if you plan on soloing or fighting a fast magic user peerless,paragons,doom its worth having.

Bomb Bloke

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Spectral Spellbinder casts no damaging spells, sticking entirely to debuffs. Luring twenty or more onto yourself (or a pet), then sitting in a boat (where they can't melee you), will give gains at an insanely high rate.
This is actually illegal and techncally banable.
Er, what? You mean to say that it's illegal to gain resist from a monster tailor made for resist training?

I'd love to see what rule this actually breaks.

S

Sheridan

Er, what? You mean to say that it's illegal to gain resist from a monster tailor made for resist training?

From the EA Support pages... note the bolded portion of the answer:

QUESTION
Is it legal to block NPC's or monsters with objects, or invisible pets/players?

Answer

It is not legal to block NPC's or monsters with objects. The deliberate blocking of monsters or NPC’s with objects such as boats, crates, house tiles, invisible pets or invisible players with the intent to gain an unfair advantage, like skill gain or monster killing is considered an exploit and can result in account penalties. This also applies to “animal pens” or “Safe areas” in the game world. If the animal/monster cannot damage you, then you are abusing the system and will be asked to stop.

drinkbeerallday

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
what if you aren't asked to stop. what if you tell everyone else about it? then it's not an unfair advantage. these rules are so silly.

Bomb Bloke

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Indeed, if there is no intent to gain an unfair advantage, then the rules state there is no issue. If someone in a specific situation feels such an advantage is being given, they can by all means page - but given that 99% of the time no one is negatively affected (let alone knowledgable!), I doubt that would be happening particulary often.

You might as well complain that archers can "safely" shoot corpsers by standing more then a tile away, and that it should be illegal for tamers to stand on their pets (hence preventing anything from targetting them).

And if the account penalties consist of being "asked to stop"... oh forget it, why are we even discussing this...

I have seen players running around the forest with spellbinders chasing them, and seldom bother to use a boat when training the stronger pets. Getting back to my original point, spell resist is neither a lengthy nor difficult skill to train.

C

Connor_Graham

Mainly use him for Doom, but I do hunt in fel so I have to be able to defend myself there too. My biggest thing is that when I do hunt in fel, I rarely see other people. Even if I do, I know most of them.
Ed
Doom alone warrants having Resist on a meleer. The Abyssmal Horrors hit with Curse harder than any other monster I know of, can kill swing speed, and rarely fail to Paralyze you, even with Resist. It's sure nice to have that Para time reduced when they're coming at you nailing you with their 30 damage spells against 70 resist, knowing that if they reach you you'd better hope you're left with a couple of hit points at best. Between all the Necro casting and the Abyssmal Horrors, Resist is more than worth the points on your template in Doom if nowhere else.

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

It is illegal to get on a boat in order to stop the monster from attacking you, so that you can work the skill. Same way how it is illegal to block off montsters with boxes, etc. Or same how it is illegal to bring an npc healer into yourh ouse and block him off to work resist.

We have been warned, and for that matter a few people in fel were 24 hour banned for working resist on boats while pixies were on land.

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have seen players running around the forest with spellbinders chasing them, and seldom bother to use a boat when training the stronger pets. Getting back to my original point, spell resist is neither a lengthy nor difficult skill to train.
I guess this is lucky for all the new people then, I havent made a new charcter in quite some time.

It's nice to see people can GM a skill faster now that used to take 2 years to GM :thumbsup:

T

trammelite

to OP

if you consider trap-boxes and vampire form not allowed exploits of game mechanics, you better go for resist.

BTW 120 healing ? what for ? i would rather go for 70 chivalry and 100 healing, or better 80 healing and 90 chiv though

Violence

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have another question.

Is there ANY POSSIBLE WAY to Paralyse someone with 120 Resist WITHOUT Evil Omen, long enough to cast Energy Field then Stone Wall without physically blocking the player yourself?

There's a player in my server which has managed to kill me every single time we face off with this trick. No other player on the server has managed to do this, most don't even try against anyone with 120 Resist. So yeah they basically replace one of the Energy Fields with a Stone Wall which for some reason sticks around about as much as the Energy Field!

And this has a lot to do with the OP's question because if it is possible then Resist Spells is completely and utterly useless.

You can always run if you're Mana Vamped or Mana Drained.
For everything else there's an item(and it does make me really sorry to have to say this).

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is there ANY POSSIBLE WAY to Paralyse someone with 120 Resist WITHOUT Evil Omen, long enough to cast Energy Field then Stone Wall without physically blocking the player yourself?

Absolutely not, the para doesnt last long enough for them to even cast the E-Field.

Are you sure you arent evil omened at the time? I know you say withouit EO, but there is no way this is possible.

Landicine

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is illegal to get on a boat in order to stop the monster from attacking you, so that you can work the skill. Same way how it is illegal to block off montsters with boxes, etc. Or same how it is illegal to bring an npc healer into yourh ouse and block him off to work resist.

We have been warned, and for that matter a few people in fel were 24 hour banned for working resist on boats while pixies were on land.
I think 24 bans for this is foolish, but my opinion aside, you can still use the spectral spellbinder trick without a boat. Just walk around and keep a few tiles head of the group of spellbinders. They don't walk that fast, and it isn't that hard to stay ahead of them. Again this is a few hours of walking around Old Haven rather than reading web pages, but at least there is no chance of banning.

Violence

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well if that's the answer then I dunno what the guy's doing.

I was betting on Arcane Focus + Arcane Empowerement prior to running out and Para/Field me on his own but I don't know much about SWeave to assume I am correct.
I'm perfectly sure I wasn't EO'd. I know the sound effect, the visual indication, the Words it uses.. And if that wasn't enough there's the Buffs Bar.

I may have missed it somehow once, twice even.. But not every single time he tried.

As for the OP; If you cannot afford Petals, Boxes, Potions and Apples then Resist is a must. In some occassions even all the above won't save you without Resist for example Vs. a Necro type of template because they can re-cast and Apples have a timer.

And yeah it's a bugger having to turn tail every time they Mana Drain/Vamp you so there.
Concerning PvM I always have Resist. Too many casting monsters, they cast too fast and have too much mana to spend.. Poison is sooo annoying trying to heal against 2-3 casting monsters. Curse/Mana Drain are constant and annoying.. Then you got some Necro casting monsters... Really annoying.