• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What does UO have other games dont , also what could make it better...

• Thread starter kennykilleduo
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
K

kennykilleduo

What does UO have other games don't , also what could make it better to attract new players.

My thoughts on what UO has:

1. Large Skill pool
2. Large amount of content , but not new.
3.Great community
4. Long history

What UO needs:

1. More content , updated content for older areas.
2. Easier learning curve for new players ( beginers shard??)
3. More advertising
4. A groundbreaking expansion , last few weren't great.
5. A better version of bring a friend , offer rewards for bringing in more than one ,10 ,100 or more players.
6. Hire someone to fix and update uo.com (outdated info removed.)

Thoughts??

the 4th man

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree, some of the content needs to disolve as new ones are placed. It does have depth and detail. Thank God it doesn't have a level building system.......

It would take an act of congress to revamp the graphics all together, but, if they did so and kept it in line with the original concept of UO,......I see it making a hell of a comeback.....

Other games, as many as there are, just don't cut it.

Expansions....I'd LOVE to see a land where, it was literally a couple hundred miles across and crossing it would be in real time....as it stands, mile wise, how big really is trammel/fel.?....not too big.

But, what do I know.

G

<blockquote><hr>

What UO needs:

3. More advertising
5. A better version of bring a friend , offer rewards for bringing in more than one ,10 ,100 or more players.

Thoughts??

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes UO needs the above... now define it...

Its simple to say "it needs" but now put it into code that suits the mass of players out in the world.....

6 is a simple one... but the first 5...

Ideas that can be coded and fitted into the current code....

One thought that comes to mind is long term quests, ones that may take 10 or more game hours to complete...

Replay of quests, aka a quest done a second time or 10th time is not the same as the first time one did it.. changes made in it that keep one thinking, looking ect.....

I

imported_Coldren

<blockquote><hr>

3. More advertising

[/ QUOTE ]

Will I completely agree with your assessment of what the game has, I disagree with a few of these points.

1) No, no.. I think this game already has TONS of content. The problem is, there's so much, so spread out, no one knows it's there. I'd really rather they refine the content they already HAVE to a keener sheen. I sincerely doubt that very many honest (no advanced character/gold buying, or scripting) players have experienced everything the game has to offer, even in 10 years of REASONABLE play. Just the time for library/zoo rewards alone must be staggering..

2) I don't think the game is very "hard" to learn, persay. But I can see why this is an issue, but it ties in with other problems listed. And another new shard, of any kind, is not a good or even possible idea, in my opinion.

3) No. No new land. No new content. They need to fix what they already have. Improve the server code, get KR to be reasonable ( I can run WoW and UO+UOA+UOAM at the same time, both running perfectly fine.. I can NOT get KR to run at a decent speed), and add more reason to experience the lands and systems they already have.

4) Not a bad idea, although it's hard to bring in new people to begin with, rewards or no.

5) THIS is a key problem. There's so much in the game, so spread out, it's impossible or at the very least, very difficult to find answers you need. UOGuide and UOStuff are/were good helpers, but they don't cover everything. And UO.com is just a terrible, terrible outdated mess.

EA, not the fan sites, really need to organize and update their data on their own game. That's a key element. Once more accurate information is available and easily located, fan sites will easily expand and improve their operations. See WoW's website for an example. LOTS of useful information about the game right at your fingertips, and it's for the most part current.. Then add the Armory, and that's just data goodness.

V

viper592

heh, how about...

What do other games have that UO don't, and what could make UO better?

One Word Answer: PLAYERS

I

imported_Coldren

<blockquote><hr>

One thought that comes to mind is long term quests, ones that may take 10 or more game hours to complete...

Replay of quests, aka a quest done a second time or 10th time is not the same as the first time one did it.. changes made in it that keep one thinking, looking ect.....

[/ QUOTE ]
Quests.. Ye gads.. even if they improved the darn GUMP for quests, it'd be an improvement of epic proportions. Why do I have to decline? Why is everything on a separate page I need to cycle through? Why do I have to REFUSE, get a message, and the hit OKAY just to NOT take something?

UI design and theory hasn't been UO's strongest aspect.

C

Clx-

<blockquote><hr>

What does UO have other games don't

[/ QUOTE ]

PvP that can give you an extreme high when you win, and an extreme low/extreme rage when you lose. It's an addictive mix. You always want to avenge any loss, and when you do, it's very very satisfying. I still feel this way after many many years of PvPing in this game.

You don't get that to anywhere near the same extent in any other game.

G

Elven ninja chefs wearing brightly coloured jester's hats while polymophed into reapers, using their pet rune beetles to kill special coloured eagles that drop more gold than they carry and 47 random items, 1 of which might be slightly useful to someone else.

What it needs?
Dwarves of course. It's the only way to balance it out.

B

Belmarduk

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

What does UO have other games don't

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't get that to anywhere near the same extent in any other game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong

With no insurance and no fast possibility to get to saftey unless you logg off (if you have an active agression timer then no loggoffski manoveur
) and even then you "physicly" are still there and must get to saftey in your next session.
(Getting to saftey can mean going for 1-2 hours through extremly hostile territory... meaning you have to stay on your toes ALL time and even then might get killed
) If you get killed you lose EVERYTHING you had with you.
Thats what I call challenging in a mmorpg - NOT everything insured and after getting dressed again you are back into battle.... Pathetic...

5 sec click-battles where the faster "clicker" with the better artifacts owns the other player.... vs longer battles (1 vs 1 can last up to half an hour...) where <font color="red"> playerskills </font> count (With 2 people with the same amount of skilling and the simular item configuration playerskill REALLY counts...and who has the better nerves..)

G

<blockquote><hr>

Well since you asked.

It needs a huge new land or implement these ideas into the current lands.

Dynamic spawn.
Random spawn.
Random encounters. Includes all the other stuff on one of my threads plus the bizzillion ideas of others.

Pirates on the sea.
Random dungeon opening
Band of Orcs in War wagon.

NPCs with cool items that change
Fishing relics
Mining relics
Things washed on shore

Essentially you should be able to walk the land and come across chance encounters, events, items, actions, and all that.

And of the current events...
The need to conclude or progress without long waits.

Here is the litmus test.
Say you have 100 million gold.
A suit for fighting
the template you like
Soulstones with skills
And a house

What else is there for you to do? Think on the grand scale. And there lies the problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't mean to call you out or anything... but... are you absolutely ********? New land, eh? Spread the playerbase out some more? LOL!

B

Belmarduk

Quoted from ParadoxUO:

decided on the paladin archer... seems it is favored. can go anywhere, and kill anything...

Things that make uo unique:
- not using first person perspective and keeping a traditional 2d view
- no levels, promoting character freedom
- hidden information, nothing is clear
- housing system
- the game economics
- folk actually spend time talking... not always running around like the rabbit of Alice in wonderland.

Fun FUN!

ps: killed my first orc!

Just thought this should be known, and it really makes UO what it is
- I can remember that feeling
*sigh* if only the bugs were fixed and there was the OPTION of a real 3D client - I can tell you hordes of new players would come to Sosaria

G

Housing. This is the main thing that keeps players in this game. No other major game lets you customize a house, or have the ability to own a tower or keep or castle.

If another game, like WOW was to create custom housing, and start a new server for new players only, their would be a mass exodus from UO.

G

What does UO have other games dont

A Owner who doesnt depend on UO to make the stock holders happy..

A Owner who doesnt care what its employees do or dont do to the game....

A Owner who doesnt care about quality of the product.........

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Well since you asked.

Dynamic spawn.
Random spawn.
Random encounters. Includes all the other stuff on one of my threads plus the bizzillion ideas of others.

Pirates on the sea.
Random dungeon opening

Fishing relics
Mining relics
Things washed on shore

Essentially you should be able to walk the land and come across chance encounters, events, items, actions, and all that.

Here is the litmus test.
A suit for fighting
the template you like
Soulstones with skills
And a house

What else is there for you to do? Think on the grand scale. And there lies the problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't mean to call you out or anything... but... are you absolutely ********? New land, eh? Spread the playerbase out some more? LOL!

[/ QUOTE ]

You can call me ******** if you like. Do you really think the problem of with the playerbase is that there is to much land?

I dont think so, besides if you read my post it says... or use the land thats here. Either way Im fine with name calling.

G

UO has flexibility, a good base for imagination... the ability to do basicly anything you imagine... it's one of THE best engines for Role-play... and it has Community.. built up over 10 years... folk who have put a bunch of time energy and effort into their "home" communities......

I think one of the BIGGEST things UO could use would be specialized shards.... I'd like to see shards that were specific for playstyles..... from those who would prefer that PLAYERS ran the shard.... where they hunted, gathered and created everything in game..... all the shops.... all the weapons, armor.... everything....
To shards geared to hunting, PvP, Factions, all more specificlly designed to the playstyles..... That I think would draw back players... Honestly fancy graphics DO NOT Excite me.... I've played UO for years... I like 2d.... I don't want to learn a whole new way to play.... If I did I'd be playing some other game or I'd be playing KR... But I would move to a shard if it were designed with role-play in mind.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Well since you asked.

Dynamic spawn.
Random spawn.

Pirates on the sea.
Random dungeon opening

Fishing relics
Mining relics
Things washed on shore

Here is the litmus test.
A suit for fighting
the template you like
Soulstones with skills
And a house

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You can call me ******** if you like. Do you really think the problem of with the playerbase is that there is to much land?

I dont think so, besides if you read my post it says... or use the land thats here. Either way Im fine with name calling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely. It is definitely the problem.

In the Dev's view, it's easier to make more land, rather than fix the old lands. So having that as one of the options is a big no-no (IMO).

Fix it - a new dungeon would be fine; but no more new huge giant lands. The playerbase is spread too thin as it is.

G

Mebbe stated below ...

Has ...
Flexible housing - from very small to quite large; prefab and custom

Needs (100% subjective!!) ...
Fix to items - old issue - why is leather armor as good or better than metal/plate?

Fix to items - issue - stacking of items; why can't all conceivably stackable items stack with those of a same type/size/color?

Fix to items - relatively new mention - why does 1 log produce 1 shaft, when several (or hundreds) should be created?

Weight reduction - reagents reduce weight at some factor when stacked, gold is 50 per stone for weight. Why can't bandage weight be reduced, how about scrolls? They stack and to some are resources. &lt;shrug&gt;

B I G G I E - some serious "in your face" presence in the retail market along with the client(s) to back up the claims of superb graphics, etc ... whatever marketing spin is used.

Overland spawn - ramped up and improved. Used to be one could run into an orc camp just about anywhere. Randomly generated appearances by Wyrms, Dragons, Drakes, Wyverns and that level of foe to make life interesting for all.

Shelleybean

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

heh, how about...

What do other games have that UO don't, and what could make UO better?

One Word Answer: PLAYERS

[/ QUOTE ]

You got that right.

K

kennykilleduo

Taken from here:

http://boards.stratics.com/php-bin/uo/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Number=7587467&amp;page=0&amp;view=collapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=7&amp;vc=1

<blockquote><hr>

Robert_EAMythic
UO Community Relations Director:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.) In what one, two, or three ways may our players best assist thee in forging our future?

2.) How important to thee are these three goals; keeping existing players; reclaiming former players; and claiming new players to Sosaria?

3.) Some value role-playing while some do not. Do you believe UO is best played by those who establish characters with "roles" and personalities, by those who "play" the game more like a stand alone pc type game, or may both playstyles be played well or poorly?

4.) You have shared with us that you intend to play UO, is it your plan to visit many or all shards anonymously, or only some shards?

5.) Many perceive an attitude by EA/UO towards its customers of "play &amp; shut up, or quit." Regardless of whether or not that "perception is reality," what attitude do you hope or intend to display toward our playing customers?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My apologies for my late appearance and my thanks for your patience.

1) Constructive feedback is probably the single best help players can provide. Now that the UO team has made the transition (and it's great to meet them in person), we are gearing up and making some new plans (which I can't go into quite yet). As we start to reveal those plans, good player feedback is an important part of the process in making the game better.

The next most important aid players can provide is in getting the word out. If you have friends who haven't played in awhile, tell them what's going on in the game. If you have fun in a live event, let your friends know. If you have a guild and are looking for more players, get the word out. Running a player event - make sure people can find it. My team could do things all day long, and it would never compare to the power of players helping players. We support the community, we help nourish it and keep it growing, but all of you are the community.

2) Well, they are all important for different reasons. Keeping existing players in the game keeps the heart and soul of UO alive. The long-term players tend to be more dedicated and passionate about the game and put more of themselves back into the game, making it a better place to be.

Getting new players into the game is important because it injects fresh blood into Sosaria. New players tend to have a lot of energy and that's good for everyone. It's also good for the vets to have new players to mentor. Some of the best times I have had in UO revolved around showing a new player the ropes. It can help to see the game through the eyes of a newbie from time to time.

Bringing lapsed players back into the game is also important. They are a cross of the two previous groups. There's a lot of experience and knowledge about the game and UO storyline, but at the same time there can be many new features, places and abilities for them to explore.

All three of these groups are important and one shouldn't be neglected for the others.

3) A question near and dear to my heart. I enjoy role playing. Many people do not. Many people differ as to their definition of role playing. I think all playstyles have a home in UO as the one factor that is consistent between all these different groups is that they are social gamers. UO encourages people to found guilds and recruit people who share their playstyle. What's important is that people have the ability to play the game in their preferred style. I will say, however, that the story behind UO provides a compelling backdrop for roleplaying.

4) I would like to try to visit each and every shard. I will probably play on some more than others just so I can get a character or two built up and re-experience that growth curve. Before coming to EA Mythic, I played mostly on two shards, sometimes visiting a third because I had real life friends playing there. I know that one shard isn't representative of another and each has its own personality. It's the little (usually player-made) differences that make each shard unique.

5) The attitude I would like people to take away, not just from myself and my team, but from the whole UO Team, is that we really do care about this game and its players. Every person working on UO is passionate about the game and wants to make it a better experience for the players. You spend 5 minutes in the presence of someone like Tim Cotten and you can feel how devoted he is to this game. It's not just him either as there's a whole group of hardcore UO fans here. Can we do everything the player base might want (or we might want)? No. We work in the realm of the possible. I, as much as anyone on these boards, am fully aware of the long history of UO and community support. There have been moments of greatness and times of troubles. I want to strive for more of the former and less of the latter.

I suppose that’s enough for now.

Bob

Community Relations Director
EA Mythic

[/ QUOTE ]

He's got some good answers , but he's a Community Relations Director (spin master) , sometimes I really think this EA Mythic group is really going to boost our game , it's when they use any of our favorite words (soon , working on it , next week=2 months , ect)I hate them most.

No to new lands build off current ones...

R

Return2UO

I agree with both sides on the new land thing however instead of creating a new landmass I would rather then redo either Tram or Fel.

Note - This isn't changing any rulesets!

I would love one of these lands to be altered so we don't have two coves, two yews etc. The devs much be able to stop housing from being placed on the facet to be changed, get a map which overlays all of the current housing from all shards on this facet and then work new maps around this with new dungeons and towns.

Then, when released, return housing.

Maybe I'm seeing this through rose tinted glasses but apart from runes being invalid after this,(Needing to be remarked) whats the problem.

I

imported_Gwendar-SP

Expansions and advertising won't help as long as the major problems exist.

How many came back or started playing when AoS came out only to be driven off by the lag and other problems with the expansion? How many downloaded KR when it went public only to be turned off?

My brother tried to get me to play another game once - i logged on, got hit by serious lag and never went back.

G

What UO has:

1. A broad range of ingame activities to cater to almost every playstyle (excepting the "we lead 40+ man raids on stupidly hard mobs for 2 or 3 elite pieces of gear which we only distribute to an inner core of members based on a slanted out of game points system uber guilds... but then who needs that kind of gameplay and drama in the first place?)
2. A HUGE level of character customization from looks to skills and stats (and even more so with the character sculptors for KR paperdolls)
3. The most non-linear gameplay due to NOT being level-based
4. A pretty devoted fanbase (Consider what we've put up with some times and we're still here)

What UO needs:

1. A reasonably balanced PvP system with substantial reasons to be involved for those who CHOOSE to be involved in it (i.e. Factions Revamp that gives rewards for Faction PvP as well as any other "arena" or other types of PvP options)
2. Revamp of legacy areas, more dynamic content, rotating facet-based events and so on.
3. A revamped economic model that takes into account desired resource rarity as well as methods to remove said resources from the game via methods of usage of said resources.
4. A true "choice and consequence" model to Insurance in which items insured can no longer be powdered nor repaired and thus will break and must be replaced (meaning that you can risk the items to loss in combat, you can risk the loss of the item due to breakage, or you can make the item a showpiece)
5. A return to weekly or bi-weekly at the longest patch updates to the KR client until it can perform as well as and better than the legacy client AND outpace the Legacy client in terms of (legal) added on features.

Nixon[I-C]

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

Wrong

With no insurance and no fast possibility to get to saftey unless you logg off (if you have an active agression timer then no loggoffski manoveur
) and even then you "physicly" are still there and must get to saftey in your next session.
(Getting to saftey can mean going for 1-2 hours through extremly hostile territory... meaning you have to stay on your toes ALL time and even then might get killed
) If you get killed you lose EVERYTHING you had with you.
Thats what I call challenging in a mmorpg - NOT everything insured and after getting dressed again you are back into battle.... Pathetic...

5 sec click-battles where the faster "clicker" with the better artifacts owns the other player.... vs longer battles (1 vs 1 can last up to half an hour...) where <font color="red"> playerskills </font> count (With 2 people with the same amount of skilling and the simular item configuration playerskill REALLY counts...and who has the better nerves..)

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, what? You've lost me here, I don't see how that relates to his post at all.

Fights aren't '5 sec click-battles' unless a player is particularly awful at pvp. Fights now are just as long and drawn out as they were preaos. Different yes.

Nixon[I-C]

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What UO needs is a larger dev team, one that produces constant pvp fixes since it is is an ever changing enviroment, and then one that can focus on non-pvp content. That would be a good start

G

I've come the conclusion that the key to UO is books. UO's strength comes from its persistence, its sense of there being a weight of accumulated history. But marked items and dusty monuments are not enough. I've not seen many wandering storytellers in my days online because alas it's more user-friendly to chat in a web forum than it is to communicate in the game.

Make books more user-friendly to write, to read, to browse quickly through when wandering a library. Make it so that historical texts and tales can be as densely packed as a rune library. Make it possible to sell subscriptions to one's library as a source of gold and thus reward creativity and interaction ingame. Make it possible to tour books that trigger upon the arrival at certain sites. Have NPC bards read aloud donated books between plays.

Once there's a critical mass of imagination, every mundane little adventure takes on a whole new light. In a good online game, we are the content.

G

UO should focus on customization of both characters and property on the non pvp side, different styles of armor, different options for housing tiles, options to customize pets, things like that that let people feel like they are making something thats unique to them. I think thats a big part of what is good about UO. Personalization, and I think it should be focused on heavily.

Pvp wise, I would say balance then give people a reason to pvp. Something really involved with goals and rewards. UO has pretty good pvp as mmorpgs go at its base anyway, it just needs to have more interesting things to get involved in than a reallllly weak faction system.

M

Meldurh

<blockquote><hr>

1. A broad range of ingame activities to cater to almost every playstyle (excepting the "we lead 40+ man raids on stupidly hard mobs for 2 or 3 elite pieces of gear which we only distribute to an inner core of members based on a slanted out of game points system uber guilds... but then who needs that kind of gameplay and drama in the first place?)

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that you mention it,every other MMORPG out there has raids,maybe thats
another reason UO is not widely popular anymore.
A lot of people want it and big raids are fun,though I agree with your view
about the point system,I left several guilds in EQ1 because of this,even split one up when other leaders decided they want to introduce a point system.

K

kennykilleduo

<blockquote><hr>

What UO needs is a larger dev team, one that produces constant pvp fixes since it is is an ever changing enviroment, and then one that can focus on non-pvp content. That would be a good start

[/ QUOTE ]

100% agreee there , it seems ( just my guess) we have about 10-15 people working on our game.