• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What does this Template need?

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I sat down today to take a look at my tamer, he's still training, but I have a vague idea of where I want him, but I can't be sure. I'd like some opinions.

Here's what my goal for him is:

Taming 110
Lore 110
Vet 100
Resist 85
Magery 100
Eval 100
-----
Total 605

That template leaves another 115 points to work with. But I'm not sure what I should fill those with. I thought maybe anatomy, but I'm not sure that would have any effect on my vet success. I am totally clueless as to what would work in this template. It's a PvM template only, I don't PvP. Any advice as to what would work will in there?

N

Nenime

As you won't go for PVP, in my opinion Resisting Spells skill can be replaced because your pet is supposed to get the damage. You seem to like the Mage-Tamer combination so Meditation is probably the better choice. In this scheme I would recommend to use the spare points for Spellweaving which is very helpful to support your pet.

Anatomy does not interact with Veterinary.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If the Template is mostly to tame then you want to up the values on the Animal Lore and Taming for sure and if your going to want stable slots then the Vet should go up as well.

Most of those, except Taming should go in increments of 10 (100,110,120) as anything else isn't going to really buy you anything. Versus the 3 at 100, the 3 at 120 will give you 6 additional Stable Slots.

Hiding is always valuable as it breaks the MoB's Aggro.

Magery + EvalInt can be a powerful augmentation as Ev's and Earth Elementals can be very useful.

Focus and or Chivalry can open new options as well.

Focus for its +Regens for Manna and Stamina.

IF you can get a -0 Mage Weapon, and you can get you Magery to oh say 120 or so, then you have added a valuable Defensive/Attack Avoidance check for your character. When this is coupled with Chivalry, then you can augment your pets damage. In this line of reasoning, DCI (Defensive Chance Increase) can be as important, if not more so, than Resist Percentages on your Items. With Magery 110 and DCI 45% I ... just in case EA/M is looking, I do not get hit ... as frequently as I did with out them. That is measured vs Greater Dragons and Cu Sidhe's.

I have two Tamers.

One is a Peace Tamer.
Music 120 + Peacemaking 120

The other is a Stealth Tamer.
Hiding 100 + Stealth 100

Both use Honor to tame MUST TAME and / or Dangerous to Tame.

The Stealth Tamer is seriously Handicapped if I am going to NOT Honor Tame. The scenarios in this context are far more limited than the Peace Tamer. BUT The Stealth Tamer can get to the Mob to be tamed with relative ease.

The Peace Tamer has a much harder time getting to the Mob to be tamed BUT can Use Peace to get the Mob to a place were taming is less dangerous AND / OR can Peace the Mob and mostly just Stare it down while taming. If Lead Taming is the way it is going to be after the Peace, normally the Mob is not any were near as dangerous as it is when NOT Peaced.

weins201

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But once you have your team there are a few ways to go

You want control without error and stable slots thats why 120 Taming and Lore you can get away with 110 vet using enhanced bandies oyu get 120 vet skill atributes. Now oyu are left with the rest of your template?

Mage Tamer (Spell Weaving)
120 Tame, Lore (240)
110 Vet, Mage, Eval ,Med (680)
this leaves only 40 points soooo
you can 120 everything or if you use items you can balance it out to add spell Weaving
all around you can dish it out and keep your pets alive
(((Mine - 110 Vet, 105 Lore (120), 105 Eval, 103 Spell Weave, 102 Tame (120), 100 Med, 95 Mage (115) (this will go to 120 once i find a 20 mage scroll) )))

Bard Tamer
120 Tame, Lore, Music Disco (480)
110 Vet (590)
Now you need to move around Magery or Chiv your choice I would use chiv as you can cure you pets as you wont be using Greater Heals to assist vetting.
Discoed targets are a joke to take out with pets

Warrior Tamer
120 Tame Lore Arch Tact (480)
110 Vet (590)
100 Chiv (690)
leaves you 30 to play around with.
This is to deal out nothing but damage

There are many otions Good luck with your new tamer.

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
120 Taming
120 Lore
120 Vet
120 Mage
120 Med
120 Eval

or

120 Taming
120 Lore
120 Vet
120 Mage
120 Med
120 Spellweaving

I run both these temps via soulstones on the same tamer and it absolutely rocks, depending on what you're going to do with the character. The first template helps with distance healing and assisting the pet in the kill, the second can do massive damage on bosses and such. Now you can argue you don't need the 120 vet/tame/lore, but I like the maximum stall space, healing and maximum control over my pets. If you want to keep them all a little less, see if you can fit 60ish chiv in for the remove curse on your pets...very handy to have.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My favourite tamer template to date would have to be the stealth herder tamer ;)

120 tame
120 lore
120 vet
100 magery
100 hiding
100 herding
60 stealth (boosted with a couple of items if necessary)

I soulstone her herding for eval if needed, but rarely use eval these days.

Wenchy

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the ideas everyone. I had been toying for awhile of making a warrior tamer, but I think I may end up going with the spellweaving mage tamer. I'm leaning towards this:

110 Taming
110 Lore
100 Vet
100 Magery
100 Eval
100 Spell Weaving
100 Med

That would give me my 720. I'm not overly concerned with extra stable slots or the extra control. Right now I have 3 slots wasted on stupid pets, like a rabbit, a chicken, and a mongbat named Bob. As far as control, I usually hunt with either my Nightmare, WW, or Cu Shide. So far I've had no problems controlling any of them. Although, once I get this character on track I may find myself using him more often than I currently do. Right now he spends a lot of time collecting dust or just rezzing pets at the bank.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
At 110 Taming and Lore you will have good control of Greater Dragons.

HECK, you could probably Honor Tame them. :)

S

Sarphus

Mage/sw tamer might work, but you will probably run into mana problems. SW spells use a lot of mana.

Also, as a mage tamer with eval, you need to have a strategy that uses damage spells. IMO, an eval mage tamer only makes sense if you're focused on dmg, which means you'd be using a super slayer spellbook. It also doesn't make sense to go over 106 magery, because most of the 8th circle spells are summons and you will be using your control slots.

IMO, you gain more going with 106 magery (no fizzle 7th circle) with a super slayer spellbook than you do with 120 magery and a mage weapon. You just have to learn how to play a character that can get interrupted by melee.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I sat down last night and went over the character with a fine tooth comb. (You wouldn't believe the flea's and ticks I found on him. Ewwww.) Magery and the more arcane arts have never really been my strong suit. Since day one I have been a crafter/meele player. I'm thinking of dropping the magery altogether, and Making him an archer/tamer. At current his magery is only in the mid 80's because I really only use it to recall around, and maybe cast a few e-bolts if the mob starts to wander too close to me. The only drawback I can see is not being able to gate freshly tamed pet's to the stable. Maybe I'll transfer his magery to a soulstone and see how he works out without it. If I find I was leaning on it more than I realized I can always put it back.

Anyone have any thoughts about an archer tamer? I'm a casual player, the hardest thing I ever go up against is some orgre lords or I might attempt swoop when I feel like getting my head caved in.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What I ahve seen, in Destard, is some Archers that may be Archer Tamers.

They can pretty much take a Greater Dragon down to 0 health with little effort or risk.

While I will never say a Greater Dragon is a No Risk to tame, when they are at that level and kept there, then the ability to tame them is far better than when they are at full health.

I have always wanted to explore that combo but could never come up with all the bits and pieces I would need to make it effective.

I use TC1 to create/model these templates on and see how they fit me, the player.

So far for me, at a position were I have a great stable of pets, My new Stealthy Mage Tamer with Honor is able to do anything I want / ask of him. I would feel even stronger about him if I could find some way to get EvalInt on him with out sacrificing any of the other skills. That would enable him to do the Para Tame. Thus enabling me to truly use Honor Taming for the Must Tame Now and no questions asked.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I really have some serious tweaking to do on this char. TC1 is a good idea, don't know why I didn't think of it myself.

Maybe I'll give it a try tonight when I get home from work.

J

jelinidas

tame
lore
vet
mage
music
disco
provo

With the right suit (+skill items), great jewelry, this can be a deadly combo.

kinney42

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
tame
lore
vet
mage
music
disco
provo

With the right suit (+skill items), great jewelry, this can be a deadly combo.
replace provo with peace and thats my template. Magery is completely useless when you have a disco tamer. And peace makes taming new critters MUCH easier.

As for gating, I have like 54 real magery and use items to boost it to 99 so I can gate. Usually have the Tome of Lost Knowledge in my hand for the +15 magery so I don't fizzle recall.

J

jelinidas

replace provo with peace and thats my template. Magery is completely useless when you have a disco tamer. And peace makes taming new critters MUCH easier.

As for gating, I have like 54 real magery and use items to boost it to 99 so I can gate. Usually have the Tome of Lost Knowledge in my hand for the +15 magery so I don't fizzle recall.
This is a Doom char. Dont really tame anything. I ended up stoning peace as I never really used it down there. Magery is used for recall/gates/INVIS/fireball/ebolts/CURE/HEAL/dispelling those pesky reverants.

I wasn't sure if the OP was looking to tame critters or PVM with his tamer. Like I said, this char can cause havoc.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is a Doom char. Dont really tame anything. I ended up stoning peace as I never really used it down there. Magery is used for recall/gates/INVIS/fireball/ebolts/CURE/HEAL/dispelling those pesky reverants.

I wasn't sure if the OP was looking to tame critters or PVM with his tamer. Like I said, this char can cause havoc.
Agreed, I have a bard tamer with the same basic skills and she's great fun. And magery is most certainly not useless on such a template, if something goes wrong it's a lifesaver.

Wenchy

S

Sarphus

I sat down last night and went over the character with a fine tooth comb. (You wouldn't believe the flea's and ticks I found on him. Ewwww.) Magery and the more arcane arts have never really been my strong suit. Since day one I have been a crafter/meele player. I'm thinking of dropping the magery altogether, and Making him an archer/tamer. At current his magery is only in the mid 80's because I really only use it to recall around, and maybe cast a few e-bolts if the mob starts to wander too close to me. The only drawback I can see is not being able to gate freshly tamed pet's to the stable. Maybe I'll transfer his magery to a soulstone and see how he works out without it. If I find I was leaning on it more than I realized I can always put it back.

Anyone have any thoughts about an archer tamer? I'm a casual player, the hardest thing I ever go up against is some orgre lords or I might attempt swoop when I feel like getting my head caved in.
You'll actually do higher dps with a melee tamer. Archery is nice when you're kiting monsters or sticking them on things so they can't get to you (which is considered an exploit). Archery just doesn't do as much dmg as melee, though.

I have a spreadsheet where I break down all the weapons and their overall dmg output as well as dmg per second (dps). The archery weapons are all on the bottom end of the DPS schedule. Also, being a tamer, you may want to be next to your pet to vet it. You can build a dexer/tamer with vet pretty easily. I've built 2, and both perform very well.

What people are telling you about bard/tamers is true too... bard tamers are powerful without +skill items. They can be ridiculously powerful with skill items. It really helps to get a mark of travesty to get 20 of our skill points.

I prefer a discord/prov/tamer to a discord/peace/tamer. Peace tamers are great for freezing extra monsters in place while you deal with things, but a prov tamer can tie up 2 critters per skill use and does dmg to the critters whlie your pet is dealing with other stuff. Also, with careful use of invisibility you can wade into about any fight and win the day.

I don't like running bard/tamers without enough magery to invis myself because of the 10 second skill timer on discord and provoke. If you're using mage weapons, you probably want to take magery as high as you can. If you're not using mage weapons, you can stop at 92 (no fizzle invis)