• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What Do You Want In A UO Forum?

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
With all of the discussion on the Stratics sale, it got me thinking. What is it you want in an Ultima Online forum?

If there was another option from Stratics, what would you want to see? I get it, Stratics has history, but most of us found it when we were looking for in-game information, the forums were an add-on that we got hooked to.

Is the the posters here that keep you here, or just a lack of options for discussing Ultima Online?...la

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
First and foremost, I'd like an official UO forum that allowed an open and regular communication/feedback with the Dev Team. 9/10 of my problems or frustrations come from or are exasperated by lack of communication. An official forum that was utilized by Devs would go a long way towards better harmony with the player community. I'd like this even if my forum account was tied into my UO account and any naughtiness on the forum might affect my account.

Consistent moderation - Forum rules are in place and they are upheld without discrimination/favoritism.

Since one of the core reasons as a player that I use Stratics is to buy/sell/advertise my shop... I would want an active user base, rules regarding spamming/multiple posts (that are enforced - because that crap is annoying as hell) and reliable and stable forums

Aside from that, it would be nice to see forums that are incorporated into a website that also contains content that doesn't require a subscription or RL$.

I'd also appreciate a forum that would take into account the majority of voices of its community in how certain aspects are managed, features or rules that are in place.

Zuckuss

Order | Chaos
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Great question Rico. This is a question that we plan on asking the community ourselves.

Tell us what you would like to see in a UO Forum and we will see if we can make it happen.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1. Input from the dev team. If it just be explaining new content or answering questions.

For example a few weeks back somebody said "shadowguard loot had been nurfed". Turns out it was just speculation. Kyronix kindly chimed in and confirmed it hadn't been touched. If he didn't I'm sure there would still be threads going on about it now and all kinds of theory's etc.

Another example is somebody asks a question, another player replies, then another person replies saying the answer is wrong. Its nice when the dev's come in again and answer with actual correct answer rather than players guessing.

2. Trading forum.

Forums are a great place to buy and sell stuff. Rares, loot etc.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
With all of the discussion on the Stratics sale, it got me thinking. What is it you want in an Ultima Online forum?

If there was another option from Stratics, what would you want to see? I get it, Stratics has history, but most of us found it when we were looking for in-game information, the forums were an add-on that we got hooked to.

Is the the posters here that keep you here, or just a lack of options for discussing Ultima Online?...la
Me personally it's just habit. I've cut it out a few times, but I seem to always come back. My active time posting here regularly greatly exceeds my UO playing, heh. Generally I just like talking about game design, and playing for so long I've mused over what would be good for UO in my mind and like to watch what changes they make and what ideas others have along those lines.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Lack of having something better to do when I am stuck in class and cant play a game.....so I play troll the tool... :)

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I would like to see a EC modding section. But maybe thats a thing of the past already. I wish I were around when moddersexchange was alive :/

Angel of Sonoma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
i'd like to see more interaction with the dev team. a once-a-year meet and greet just doesn't cut it. all the regular communication was eventually dropped...for example: five on friday. maybe something like a dev blog? hell, even jeff skalski would send out regular tweets.

revive some of the forums that disappeared. such as: the dev forum where we could ask questions. or the bug forum. if BS had something to do with the bug forum disappearing because it shamed them, let's face it...all games/programs have bugs. (ot: i work as a developer for a fortune 500 company. we put buggy code into production all the time b/c we must adhere to timelines and budget. of course there is time and money to fix things at a later date. go figure.)

i like the trade boards here. i'd like to see a rares archive.

contests! who doesn't like a contest? especially those of us (like me) who are highly competitive.

i visit stratics to get information about uo and learn from other's experiences. i'd like to see those fundamentals maintained.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
How about when are we gonna see Stratics.Com and not just Stratics forum. This site has really lost so much that it truly is very sad.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I'm sure all of us would love to see more of the Devs. However, their team is very small compared to what it was in the days of yore. They have a tough job, and I imagine EA isn't planning to increase their funding or give them new team members any time soon. They do have real world lives and families as well.

Hmmm. What else would I want here at Stratics? I would like to see all information, guides, history, etc. eventually brought together in a well organized, easy to navigate whole. That is already one of the major goals, as I understand it. Overall, I'm quite happy with this site and the folks who run it, which is why some of the most severe and unkind criticisms truly puzzle me.

Gameboy

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I'd like information how to do things better, I'd like to hear about people's experiences and adventures. I would like to know how obstacles have been overcome. I would like to hear about events, EM or Player run ones. I would also like/wish less negativity. I am sure I am guilty of this too. It is too easy to be negative more so when dealing with something you like. I think a little less would be good through. Having regular updates and post by the dev's would be a plus too.

genchattroll101

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
I would like to be able to communicate with the DEV team this game is 80% broken with it's mechanics and bugs.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would like to be able to communicate with the DEV team this game is 80% broken with it's mechanics and bugs.
See I am the opposite....since this game is so broken and they just dont care anymore....they are just milking this cow until she is dry..I could careless what the devs say.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'd like more communication as well but lets face it that's never been the strong suit of the DEVs... History will tell you that it just doesn't happen.

I miss the days of a community liason like Jeremy... we didn't know how good we had it with the 5 on Friday... something I think many of us miss.

You know over and over I hear about how they DEVs don't like the negativity and they feel "bashed" or whatever but the truth of the matter is if they actually communicated things better I think folk wouldn't resort to getting all up in their face... since honestly when folk get "rude" and "mean" it's because they are frustrated and upset about something. Most people on here really have a strong love for UO. They also have strong opinions. Just because they aren't something that you agree on or share doesn't mean they are any less important.

What the DEVs don't realize is that communication even if it's just to say "We are aware of the issue and are working on it." or "We will look into this." ... would do wonders for them. It would show that they know about the issue... and aren't just "ignoring" it. It would show they have concern about the problem... etc...

That sort of thing is missed. Half the time it's hours after the fact that anything even gets posted to UO.com about things. Shards go down and are back up and nothing gets posted.

Things like UHall are great... the EC thread is good for discussing EC issues but my fear is that it gets ignored. Supposedly they are working on things but no one has a clue what's going on. We are told we'll be getting a Monthly newsletter but got one and done.

Promoting Stratics promotes UO. It only stands to reason that if we as a community spread the word about Stratics and such and if it was more of a site to other games than perhaps those folk playing other games might look at UO... So taking them away from the forums and all I think hurt UO.

Hiding the old starting pages with all that helpful information like the Monster information, information about items and such is sad. I have a hard time finding it when I need to look at something and I know it's there... imagine how hard it would be for a new player to find that information when they DON'T know it's there. UOGuide is good but it lacks some of the information that is here at Stratics.

Just my opinions.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
and I would suggest one rule only where Mods are concerned.....no personal attacks. Anything else should be fare game, you can say that is a fing moronic idea....just dont call someone ( including staff) an fing moron......there is a difference and we are old enough to know that.

As far as protecting bonnie or Broadsword....screw the devs. You are a paying customer....if you have an opinion you should have the right to express it.....isnt this an American based Forums??? Freedom of speech....where is my freaking uzi....and all that.

If Bonnie doesnt like it she doesnt have to read it......but if she is a professional she sure as hell better read it if she likes it or not....this is what her paying customers think....so wake up and pay attention or move the hell over and let someone else steer!

genchattroll101

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
We pay cash for this dead game. WE keep it alive. WE are the only reason they are still DEV's imo. And they can't even hear us out about bugs/fixes to help the broken game that few people still enjoy? It's stupid.

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
-I would like to see Stratics around for another 15+ years.
-I would like to see Stratics stay UO focused, and not spin off into some cash cow for a random owner.
-I would like to see Stratics around even if UO makes an official forums. Here people can still speak their mind without risking their UO account being banned over heated forum discussions.
-I would like to see Stratics stay reputable, and not turn into a RMT forums where the dev's won't communicate with us at all.
-I would like Stratics to keep its core values and rules, an opinion a random new owner might not have. (he/she might be OK with conditions such as the HOT forums.. and ignore all moderation needs completely.)
-I would like to see people stop making mountains out of mole hills.
-I would like to see more unified respect for each other, seeings how we are all a dwindling group hopelessly addicted to the same game.

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Fewer subforums. I'd rather have one reasonably busy forum than eight sleepy ones. We really really didn't need a separate ToL forum for example. Like oh no, what if the game had an expansion and the main forum talked about it? Can't have that.

Angel of Sonoma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
.... I would also like/wish less negativity. I am sure I am guilty of this too. It is too easy to be negative more so when dealing with something you like. I think a little less would be good through. Having regular updates and post by the dev's would be a plus too.
i was going to say this too but decided to hold back. there's been a time or 3 that i've voiced some negative posts too. sometimes tho, it gets brutal around here. but i definately don't want any censorship.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Fewer subforums. I'd rather have one reasonably busy forum than eight sleepy ones. We really really didn't need a separate ToL forum for example. Like oh no, what if the game had an expansion and the main forum talked about it? Can't have that.
I can see when a new expansion comes out to have its own spot but after awhile it should be put back into UHALL

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The game not working just how you'd prefer it to work or being to difficult is not being 80% broken. it's not a run-of-the-mill game, it's complicated, and doesn't lead a player along by a ring in their nose like most games with levels do.

The bulk of the bugs I've seen actually talked about are in the EC, since fall of 2000 when I first started playing I've ran across few bugs in the game itself over all those years.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I hope this thread doesn't have to turn into a "let's bash the developers' communication" here. That is only contributing to why they don't come to Stratics as much as we all would like.

The Stratics site moderators can't force the UO developers to participate here. Anyone asking for this needs to realize that UO Developers get involved and post on Stratics at their own discretion.

Last edited:

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think stratics should merge with uoguide.
There should be made an official support forum, where EA/Broadsword hired a person to run this.
This dosent have to be full time, maby 10-15hours a week i donno.
I would also like to see more focus groups discussing groups, on a long term basis. Things Like fx, hunting/tamin/crafting/pvp as main areas.

Bethany_lg

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wouldn't mind if we moved further away from the dev team. The game should have it's own official site and we "fans" should be free to discuss all aspects of the game we love without feeling like this is the official UO forums. It just seems like Stratics has lost a lot of it's personality over the years. And i don't think it's all because of the decline in player population.

Prince Erik

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
For me, really, the information housed within the threads of Stratics over time has been one of the reasons I've kept playing UO straight for over 18 years. Having a place to go to for real time information as it happens is one of the things I rely on here - from "The Napa Hamsters need feeding" to "Warning, do not chop up a wall safe while standing on a locked down white fishing net and holding a glacial staff" - well, this kind of information is very hard to find. The wealth of knowledge of the players of this forum is awesome.

Sure if I had my wish the level of respect (both for other posters, play styles and the devs) could be ratcheted up a notch (ok, well several notches!) but that's the price you pay for passion of any type. I'm a member of a bunch of forums from cars to guitars and I've been a member of this one the longest by far. I'd like it to still be around with all of you continuing to post, no matter who owns it. Oh, and btw, thank you all for the many years of helping make UO better - no matter what, that's the one thing I can definitely say Stratics (and you all) has accomplished.

-P.E.

Podolak

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd like the ability to have respectful conversations. I know there will always be differences in opinions but we sometimes forget that there is a person on the other end of the conversation and everyone deserves to be treated properly. On that same note I'd like an environment where the game developer's employees feel confident and comfortable posting. They make public posts of their own choice and I think its up to the community, wherever that community is to make them feel welcome in doing so. We are paying customers of course and good customer service includes communicating with those who fund you but we have the responsibility of making it a productive place to do so.

I would love a place to bring all aspects of the community together. Many of us have been around for ages, I started playing UO in June of 1999 and I checked my e-mail history and found I registered for Stratics on 10/19/2000. This has given many of us a chance to make friends and also form grudges. These grudges separate the community and some (or many) have gone elsewhere. How cool would it be to bring us all back together?

Search. Search, search search. We are all used to google right? I'd love to have easier access of information. I'd love to have tie ins to UOGuide wiki and other sources that are relevant to discussions. I'd like a format that makes sense and is easy for everyone to find the information we are looking for. I'd love to see more community contributions to guides and specifics about in-game topics. If someone wanted a Belfry walk-through we used to have a very easy to find guide all written up that someone could read. I know Stratics staff and UOGuide contributors are working on that but it would be nice to see other sources contributing again too. I know some contributors got burnt out over the years because they felt like they were the only ones adding new info. If everyone picked one topic in the game they were good at and added some info how awesome would our database be?

**Edit: Some people don't like to write but may have really good game knowledge. Maybe they could team up with someone who does like to write to get that info out there?

What do I want most from a UO Community (in the form of a forum)? To have one at all.

Ossy

Adventurer
How about when are we gonna see Stratics.Com and not just Stratics forum. This site has really lost so much that it truly is very sad.
^ This

I was disappointed when came back and tried to find information on the Stratics board. The forum is secondary IMO compared to the guides that Stratics used to have.

Stratics, when I hear the name, is the guides not a forum.

A forum is nothing more then just sections to control where topics fall.

I Actually PVP

Adventurer
A place that actually represents the community...

Where threads aren't dominated simply by those who post the most, where irrelevant posts are deleted, and a designated place for pvpers to talk about pvp related content and also say swear words if they feel like it, and lastly, a place that allows Siege players to talk about content without going into every thread and talking about their unique Siege situation and trying to promote their shard.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
... and also say swear words if they feel like it ...
They already allow some swear words & such things a F***ing, we don't need GC quality talk in these forums or all but the very foul mouthed would leave these forums.

... and lastly, a place that allows Siege players to talk about content without going into every thread and talking about their unique Siege situation and trying to promote their shard.
PvPer types should like a PvP only shard like Siege, unless you can't fight without an insured super suit that is. All you need to PvP on Siege is to have the skill, a gathered set of armor, and the big hanging pair attitude.

I Actually PVP

Adventurer
we don't need GC quality talk in these forums or all but the very foul mouthed would leave these forums..
Oh no, not the "very foul mouthed!" You, and many others on this forum, sound like my goddam grandparents, and if this forum is going to cater to my goddam grandparents, good luck with every trying to regrow this community. You realize UO is rated M+ right???? If you want to regrow the community, and convince people that paying a monthly sub is worth it, you can't kick people off of the only message board where devs post simply because they want to a) talk **** or b) call you a **********.

I know this is a harsh reality for you old folks, but you'll have to learn to deal with it.

All you need to PvP on Siege is to have the skill, a gathered set of armor, and the big hanging pair attitude.
And it only takes about a month of boring, near solo-player gameplay for you to work up skills (at what used to be an extremely slow, crappy rate), gather a set of armor (once you've raised said skills (and we're assuming you're a dexxer and you don't need a full spellbook, LRC/regs, and casting jewelry). Granted, this is all so you play your ONE AND ONLY CHARACTER on a shard with zero population.

For all of us that play for PVP, we've all tried Siege, we've all found it to be crappy, we've all played free shards (which operate under the same rules of Siege), and we've all found them to be lovely.

It's Siege that is the problem..

Edit: the fact that saying "****" (the equivalent of "poop" and "crap" for those that can't figure it out) is a banned word is just stupid. For all the bashing on "immature" gen-chat talkers, I really think it's this community that "needs to grow up" and get over cuss words. They're words, hit ignore and live with it.

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
LMAO I can't believe they would use that image to advertise the game!!!!!! Brilliant decision there.

As to the rating, touche (although I could've sworn it was 17+/M when I first got it as a kid). Regardless, PG-13 movies say "pancake" and "****" and have all kinds of "very foul mouthed" language. It shouldn't be an issue here or in game.
When I bought UO it was "M" for Mature and was 17+.... and you weren't supposed to play if you were under 17... I don't remember when it went to "T"... but I do remember it. And from all I see in-game it should have stayed "M" for Mature though it is far from it much of the time.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh no, not the "very foul mouthed!" You, and many others on this forum, sound like my goddam grandparents ...
Your grandparents are grown up, swearing is only a big deal for those still on the way to being grown up. Enjoy your youth, it goes away as the years go by. :)

I know this is a harsh reality for you old folks, but you'll have to learn to deal with it.

Yes we do deal with it, we correct the kids behavior as needed, we punish as required, and put up with it as needed until they reach maturity and grow out of having to have a bad-ass mouth for status. It's called parenting. :)

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
When I bought UO it was "M" for Mature and was 17+.... and you weren't supposed to play if you were under 17... I don't remember when it went to "T"... but I do remember it. And from all I see in-game it should have stayed "M" for Mature though it is far from it much of the time.
It dropped to T when they removed the pvp bounty system. The one where you could cut up people's corpses and have the dread lord or glorious lord heads. They thought dropping it to T would help them make more money by opening the game up to a wider customer base.

Old Vet Back Again

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
I would like to see known RMT abusers that post on a certain forum soliciting their RMT banned from the Stratics for being affiliated with such harmful antics to the game.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I agree that there is a need where PVP discussions can go on, unfettered by trolls who just say "I hate PVP", "Fel content sucks", "Because I dislike PVP it should be removed from the game". (I'm clearly paraphrasing and making generalized statements there, I know some of the opposition to PVP is deeper than that). It's really quite unfair that any discussion of Fel or PVP is met with hostility by those who don't partake and they turn any PVP or Fel related thread into their own soap box to denounce it and take over entire discussions.

However, I also don't believe that discussion of Fel or PVP needs to include foul-language and low-level smack talk. I have no problem seeing it in-game in General chat, but doesn't belong in our discussion on forums.

Last edited:

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I would like to see known RMT abusers that post on a certain forum soliciting their RMT banned from the Stratics for being affiliated with such harmful antics to the game.
Moderators' duties should not including conducting such a witch hunt. If the developers have turned a blind eye to this, then it needs to be noted that moderators participate here on a voluntary basis and are not responsible for conducting the job Broadsword should be doing.

Gameboy

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It dropped to T when they removed the pvp bounty system. The one where you could cut up people's corpses and have the dread lord or glorious lord heads. They thought dropping it to T would help them make more money by opening the game up to a wider customer base.
I'm no pvper by any means, but I would have given it a go to see the bounty system. I sounded like one of the most unique pvp features in the game.

Corwyn

Lake Superior Tabloid Journalist
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I agree that there is a need where PVP discussions can go on, unfettered by trolls who just say "I hate PVP", "Fel content sucks", "Because I dislike PVP it should be removed from the game". (I'm clearly paraphrasing and making generalized statements there, I know some of the opposition to PVP is deeper than that). It's really quite unfair that any discussion of Fel or PVP is met with hostility by those who don't partake and they turn any PVP or Fel related thread into their own soap box to denounce it and take over entire threads.

However, I also don't believe that discussion of Fel or PVP needs to include foul-language and low-level smack talk. I have no problem seeing it in-game in General chat, but doesn't belong in our discussion on forums.
As someone that doesn't PvP but used to spend a ridiculous amount of time on the boards, I have to agree with the above 100%. Back when I'd spend hours on here daily, I got so sick of the PvP bashing.

However, I also have to say that the opposite was true back then. The term "carebear" stemmed from back then, something that didn't necessarily bother me, but it shows the mentality of the PvP versus the PvMer. Or crafter, in my case.