• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What do you look for in an "evil" group of people?

Ceno of MT

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am doing research and trying to find out what the people of Baja/UO look for in an evil group of people (like an evil based guild).

1. Are you into any type of RPvP (Roleplaying Player vs Player)?
(example: this would be PvP but with an RP reason for it)

2. Maybe just acting out the fight?
(example: *Lord Dirk Dinkwind weaves his blade through the air & swings the blade down at your leg*)

3. What is your favorite kind of bad guy/girl?
(example: i like how Scar from the Lion King acted as if he was a friend but then turns around and stabs Simba in the back! Or you like then being very verbal how evil they are and how much they want to kill you)

4. Would you always want the good guy to win? Or let the bad guy win every so often to keep things more exciting? Or would you like the bad guy to win?

5. What kind of evil story would you like to see unfold?
(example: like how darth vader is lukes father or see a gang's slow rise to power)

BajaElladan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am doing research and trying to find out what the people of Baja/UO look for in an evil group of people (like an evil based guild).

(example: this would be PvP but with an RP reason for it)

(example: *Lord Dirk Dinkwind weaves his blade through the air & swings the blade down at your leg*)

(example: i like how Scar from the Lion King acted as if he was a friend but then turns around and stabs Simba in the back! Or you like then being very verbal how evil they are and how much they want to kill you)

4. Would you always want the good guy to win? Or let the bad guy win every so often to keep things more exciting? Or would you like the bad guy to win?

(example: like how darth vader is lukes father or see a gang's slow rise to power)

I will take a stab at this:

1) If this involved everyone temporarily joining a RPvP Guild so the combat could occur outside Felucca, then sure. Inside Felucca, Nope!

2) This could work also with appropriate speech content texted to explain happenings.

3) Evil forms taken such as Lich etc, and of course massively negative karma titles, evil behavior such as evil folks being spotted, followed and spied upon, evil intent speech overheard, verb and adjective use to indicate (slinks along shadows) skulks, sneaks, etc.

4) Sometimes the story arc requires bad or evil folk to prevail, however I admit I prefer happy endings once the global story ends...but that is not a requirement, just a preference.

5) How bout something like...a seemingly sympathetic character conning the people into turning over Lord British's Crown & Throne only to be discovered and burned at the stake

or perhaps a kidnap ring that is preying upon the folks

or perhaps a group of assassins begins infiltrating a Guild or Guilds to rob or kill folks for gain or sick pleasures

or an evil group discovered to be imprisoning folks souls. Protagonists would need to discover what was happening, find out who behind it, find way to free the souls and punish the evil cabal

Interesting questions Ceno

Ceno of MT

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
thank you for the answers!
as far as the killing goes, that would have to be in story only.
It would be like if I let someone kill Ceno off but yet there you see him running around west brit bank alive and kicking.

We have an understanding in the BRPA alliance that if you do in fact lose to a monster or in pvp, you dont actually "die" - you are just knocked out.

Ceno of MT

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
oh come on now people, dont be shy! this thread has 28 views and only one person replied?
This is to better Baja so we can get YOU some really cool player run events!

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I suppose I'll take a stab at it, although my thoughts and opinions are already well known to the alliance.

1. Of course. While I mostly prefer my interactions to be of a roleplayed nature, since I've neither the connection nor the gear to really engage in any significant player vs. player combat, I have no personal aversion to PvP. I've always encouraged it.

Roleplayed Wars, Bar Fights, and Dark Tower runs through Felucca. Oh my!

2. In some cases, a roleplayed struggle can be much more entertaining than a fifteen-second combination of gank spells, especially when that scene has some major significance to the storyline or must lead to another combination of events.

I would keep a dice cup on hand to keep it fair, and agree (even if on the fly) how you want this duel to go. When I played Warcraft, before the advent of the RPvP Server, that was one of the ways we would determine certain actions in RP.

3. I have some personal favorites, but I will not say them here. I think a variety is more entertaining, everything from the cult of fanatics bent on destroying the world or turning it to shadow, to the gang of bandits and thieves terrorizing a town of helpless villagers.

I actually determine my choice of heros (or anti-heros) dependant upon such circumstances.

4. I think it should be left up to the roleplay that occurs. While sometimes we might have some particular vision we want to achieve, it should ultimately be left up to the choices made by the characters.

With that said, it wouldn't be very enjoyable for one side to always win. Otherwise, the other side is either going to give up or join them, and then there will be no enemies. So such considerations should be made when thinking about the future of a storyline or event.

5. How about a lot of evil stories, so everyone has a place to fit in? Political Intrigue. Wars. Assassinations. Mysteries.

SuperKen

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm sorry, I got stuck with the images of Scar.

*softly sings "Circle of Life" to self*

Uh, sorry. I'll have a go at this:

I don't think it needs to necessarily be PvP at all. I think the power of the spoken word can be more powerful at times to really capture the essence of what's going on, whereas, from a personal point of view, I have seen so many people die all the time that it doesn't really do anything for me anymore. I'll probably just run out, looking for the next target, out of instinct.

I can imagine a scenario where a person is strangled (the Necro spell), and as he/she gasps for breath, he/she will curse and slowly die; I think the audience's attention could be held with that. UO gives us a lot of options to work out these details.

Yea, but the actors better be fast typers. It'll get boring if they take forever to go from one action to another.

I think Cymidei and DT do a terrific job. Her minions simply asking you to constantly keep your distance from the Mistress illustrates how evil she is.

Doesn't matter so long as the story is written well. I do prefer happy endings though. I should add, however, that lately it's become the fashion that the "evil" person isn't really "evil" at all, just misunderstood, or an egomaniac with strong desires, usually done so that the audience can understand where he or she is coming from.

...I'm personally a little bit sick of this. Screw a psychological approach and just give me someone EVIL. I'm not a big fan of the way people think psychology is the answer to everything. Call me old-fashioned.

If I answered this, there wouldn't really be much of a job for you to do, now would there?

Ceno of MT

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
80 views and only 3 replies?
come on people! again this is for YOU more than anything!

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bear in mind that I'm not a Baja roleplayer, and just think it's fun to answer:

1. Yes, yes, YES! PvP is fun. PvP with a role played objective is more fun.

2. Never EVER. If we're in Trammel and someone is blue to me, I'll just find something else cruel to do to a person. Typically it amounts to a lot of hot air on my part, but it's a good way to separate the true roleplayers from those who just want to "win."

3. I like the person who thinks he's doing right, but winds up being cruel instead. A literary example is Pedron Niall from the Wheel of Time series. The priest who believes that everyone else is evil and deserves punishment is good. The freedom fighter who thinks that killing an innocent in a blackrock explosion constitutes "acceptable losses" is the kind of character that my Catskills Pirate is.

4. I prefer it when I win. But it's more fun when the chances are that I can lose as well. The United Pirates of Catskills currently has more losses than wins in grand scale battles, but in negotiations, sailing races and just having fun... we're far ahead (in my opinion).

5. For evil stories, I like brief encounters more than grand scale stories. I prefer to rob someone in the back alleys than to plan to conquer the world, mostly because once a grand plan is over, a lot of people leave nowhere to go afterward. So my favorite tales are about every day life in the strange and unpredictable world that is UO.

Ceno of MT

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you for the reply!
Although this is NOT just for RPers, this is for everyone =)