• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What Atlantic player, past or present, has had the biggest impact on your Sosarian adventure?

D

Draken-Korin

First I would like to give MoonglowMerchant props for this idea on the Siege Boards as I "borrowed" it from there. *smirks* Thanks MM, fantastic idea.

I remember my first days adventuring (1999) in the lands east of Yew, when hordes of monsters roamed the lands. You could easily make a great deal of gold there (for that time period), as long as you avoided your items being looted upon death by one of the scores of creatures that would surround you, or suffer the misfortune of another player "not always red" offering to help carry your things when you appeared to be struggling.

With that said it was in this time period I met Queen Isis of the Amazons. In the lands of The Reapers, they were brother/sister guilds that had housing together far east of Yew.

I remember vividily both members of those guilds, and how much larger than life they seemed to me. How I respected the style of play I was allowed to "somewhat" become involved in.

Back in those days community was truly a sight to behold. Large groups hanging near/outside the homes they had built, with no visions of riches and items, but only to enjoy the company of others.

Anyways Queen Isis, great leader of this group of Amazons and Reapers, is my response to start off this thread.

Thanks for reading, and I look forward to learning others beginnings.

Sam the Scribe

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I quit the game for a few years and when I came back, a lot had changed. I had tons of questions and needed lots of help hunting. One player has virtually made it her mission in life to help others in this game and has helped me immensely.

The first time I met Lady Rachel, I was hunting for a scroll to add to my newbie spellbook, the mage shops didnt sell it. I saw her sitting in (Old) Haven and asked about the scroll, she took my spellbook and filled it. I tried to thank her and offer her what paltry amount of gold I had, she told me not to thank her but if I were to help another player in turn, that would be her reward.

In Raven's early days he was the guardian of the Haven Moongate, killing the lizzies and protecting the travelers using the gate. Lady Rachel would literally spend hours healing and rezzing the young mage. Inviting him along on greater adventures to other dungeons and places of interest throughout the lands of Sosaria.

As I would design new characters, she would dutifully accompany all of them through their paces as they acquired Fame and Fortune. I believe that every character I have wears at least one piece of armor made by her hands.

When I created new characters, for fun I would have them wander thruough Haven asking for help. She would always come over and offer assistance. Eventually she would either guess it was me, or I would tell her so as not to take advantage of her generosity. Every character I make is complete with it's own life history and she would rp with me as we decided the personality and history of every one of them.

Of course I've met other fine folks, Lady Aalia of Winterbreeze certainly bears honorable mention. There are others, mainly hunting partners that I bump into from time to time. But hands-down, the person who has done the most to make my game time enjoyable and rewarding is Lady Rachel.

- Lord Raven of Minoc
(Submitted by his humble Scribe, Sam)

U

_Uriah Heep_

Exactly the same area where I grew up *grins*
I remember well the first time I saw a Lich, he had wandered way north from the lich crypts, as lost as I was, and had me for an afternoon snack.

First person to have an impact, hmmm. Has to be two.
Donna Perry got me started on my way, healing me and teaching me how to make things work in the world. What spells did what, how to time to avoid so many disruptions, what potions to drink, and how to RUN!

Thanks to the crew of The Inner Circle, (Madrigal, DukeArcher, Lipstick, Endless, Winter) tho, for the rest of my education, befriending me, teaching me, guilding me, and tolerating my growing pains.

*waves*

G

Mad Money, formerly of BoS has got to be one of the kindest and most generous players I have ever met.

I wish he'd come back.

Also, several years ago, when houses were falling for no reason, I lost what I had. I was retelling the story to someone at the old Goodman library on the Magicina coast when he told me to hang on. He logged off and then logged back on as Lord Goodman himself. He gave me a check for 500k and a few semi rares to sell. That was really the only time I had ever met or spoken to Lord Goodman, although I would pass him on the streets from time to time and say hello. What a gentle soul.

When I left the last time, I gave everything I had to friends and strangers in old Haven by holding a triva contest and then unlocking random items in my house. When I decided to come back, Ryna McBegg was kind enough to give me her 18x18 as she was leaving the game.

There are so many more people, including Spiffykeen, Lord Darkwing, Tazar and Jazz from way back in my GOL days.

I

imported_Ishtar

I think for me years ago back when we began RP we met a great group of folks, two of them that made the game fun and had a positive impact on my self and my husband were Shamander and Potus, they will always have a special place in our hearts.

C

Cat Crimson

Probably a guy called Richard who even though we never have met I am proud to call my friend. Sadly he no longer plays, but he was unfailingly kind, helpful, generous and thoughtful both in game and out. It is due to his generosity that I am still able to call a corner of Fel Ice Isle home.

There are many others who have had an impact or influence on my Atl. Sosarian life that spread way beyond it. Some good, a lot painful. Some folks could never grasp the concept that I was more interested in playing the game than playing games. I learned a lot about who not to trust and whose concept of friendship was a sham, and conversely those whose public image and perceived character in the eyes of those that professed to know them belied the true and wonderful person beneath. Life imitates art ?

N

nicholas of atl

I wish I could remember all the kindly people that made positive impacts on my experience in Sosaria.

When I first started I was a lumberjack and made my living by selling wood to the people of Yew (circa 1999). I quickly took up the art of fletching to sell arrows to one of the first to make an impact... Draken-Korin.

I became a member of the Yew Militia and there are so many that I cannot recall but deserve to be mentioned. One I do remember was Zenda she took me under her wing and helped be become a gm swordsman.

Then I met Lord Rainbow King who amazed me with the ability to control dragons... at that time Wyrms and nightmares were rare and to see him with all three impressed me to the point of becoming a tamer above all other templates.

Lady Maddie helped me to become a gm tamer and taught me more about taming than I can tell in one post.

I was fortunate to find a house in the Trinsic swamp area that I called home. In that neighborhood I found the most ingenious of vendors named Soiam. His generousity and knowledge of game mechanics helped me to gm several characters.

Andrasta has always impressed me with her generousity, kindness and dedication to the history of the Atlantic shard.

There are so many more but my blasted memory fails me, I wish I could remember all those I fought with at Serpent's Cross Tavern... those days were truly amazing.

Thanks for the post DK

Stuffa

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
probably most of the stratics readers for me. there's too many to list though - i met some hilarious characters

Peen (Jorval) and Hev of course helped make up a dastardly trio back in the day as well

Andrasta

Goodman's Rune Library
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is a fun but difficult post to answer. I've met a lot of great people over the last 10 years that have had a positive impact on my world. I could name many and write pages and pages but I'll stick to just a few for now.

Lord Ursin of OA (Order of Avalon) whom I met when I played Diablo. We came to this world together with two others. Lord Ursin is the person whom I credit with most influencing my "morality" in online games. He was always kind & generous to others and never ever cheated.

Sariss of BCK (Brotherhood of the Crimson Knights). Back when I was a fledgling Guildmaster in TK, Sariss would sit down with me almost weekly and give me very wise advise on how to handle situations that would arise that would cause me grief. She helped me become a better person and guildmaster and stopped me from ripping all of my hair out

Lord Goodman who was much like Ursin, always kind and generous as everyone knows taught me more patience and was another example of a good and gentle person. If everyone would be more like him, this would be quite the world.

They were good friends and I miss them to this day. I could write books on this subject so if I didn't mention you, please don't be offended.

I

imported_GFY

For myself the players that helped me the most would have to be the original GFY, (He sold me his account when he left UO after AOS) and of course Darkly Noon, (LUV ya bro) I would probably have given up on UO by now if it weren't for him.

Finally I have to mention Dragons. Thanks for starting this wonderful guild and for all you've done for me and everyone else on this shard.

I

imported_MollyAtlantic

I think the people that had the greatest impact on me were Aleph Aeirs, Rainbow King (RK) and Greypawn. They welcomed me into the community of roleplayers with open arms and taught me to be a roleplayer. They included me in anything I showed up for and never left me standing by the wayside watching. I learned all I know from them, watching and following their example. You can still find RK playing on Europa as Eric Kay of The Barony of Cove. One of the finest Roleplayers I have ever met.

I also have to thank the Seers of Atlantic, people like Nicodemus and Oberon and many others I can not even name, within days of joining the Roleplay Community, I was center stage in the biggest seer plot to hit Atlantic, the Nostr'yl Quest. I was in way over my head and loving every minute of it. I never got a single clue right but I always got people to come when an event was happening. I was the reason they coined the word ICQ-spammers. I think I still have 400+ names on my ICQ list.

I thank them all with all my heart for 10 wonderful years!

imported_EricksonYates

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Har har. Just noticed this post.

Without a doubt, it would have been my cousin.

His character's names were Caramon Majere, Mazrim Taim, and Gelroos Hu'nett. We played together for the first two years. He is the one who get me into the role-play community. He was the one who taught me how to pvp before AoS came out. We used to play together CONSTANTLY.

He got me started on UO. He kept me playing for two years. Without him, I wouldn't be playing at all. So I would say that he had the biggest impact on me.

G

I know you've asked for one, but I've been around for ages. For me, it's a six-way tie. In chronological order:

Tiffric - For setting up and operating the Atlantic Mage Tower, where I got my start.
Perianwyr - For running the Serpents Cross Tavern, nexus of roleplay on Atlantic.
Aleph Aeirs - For showing me the Light and bringing me into the fold.
Lich Lord Azalin - For showing me the Darkness and giving it character.
Grishnak - For being the Orcish Yin to my Glowpug Yang.
Seer Nikademus - Progenitor of live events and everything out of the ordinary that ever happened in UO. As Seer, I was proud to be last of the "Nikaspawn".

I

imported_Cesspool

I think the very first one that impacted me at all was Smogg Azalin, which might sound wierd but heres what happened. I'd been playing for about three months and reading all the event posts on Stratics and BNN back when it was amazing. I got involved in the RP community by paying attention to the Nostur'yl posts and Smogg was heavily involved in them. I was I think thirteen or fourteen when I started playing and I just took everything for granted and didn't quite grasp the limitations of the game. When a Seer character said Nostur'yl wanted to open the abyss etc. I was 100% sucked into it. I really thought if the players didn't do anything the Seers would do something crazy like that. I also held a few players in the same regard as any Seer characters just because they had been involved in the story so much, and Smogg was the first one I actually ran into in game, which was while a group of about fifty or so people were guarding the Obsidian Posts in Serps Hold. I ended up spending an inordinate amount of my time being an absolute nuisance to NCR because of their ties to Nostur'yl. I remember they used to get angry at me because I'd give them murder counts, but at the time it was perfectly reasonable to me since they were in fact supposed to be evil and murderers. Canopus is up there on the list too because he taught me how to quit being a total failure at combat.

B

bordegan

I think players that added to the community made this game enjoyable for me.

A few I'd like to mention:
-The atlantic auction guild [$] When they were around it was fun going to their auctions...I wish they were still around to this day but heard it probably won't happen :<

-The mongbat king-was just funny seeing him at brit bank once and a while

-Ali of vesper and his guardians: I remember this ali of vesper guy use to pay newby characters to run around his vendor tower to kill mongbats and serpents or whatever...was pretty darn funny.

-stuffa/the barton invasions....I only tagged along on two but it was fun going to another shard with little bartons taking over their fel moongates! Also pushing back the brit invasion was pretty fun with all the packies as announcers!

-goodman/plate monger: Just an all around great player and could get almost anything accomplished via his runelibrary.

-ORCS: I loved seeing Plag'naz (forgot exact name :< ) run around brit bank making fun of humans hehe.

-There are a lot of other people I could keep on mentioning that were a great benefit to my uo experience..These are just ones I think some people might remember.