• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What Annoyingpast Bug/exploit/imbalance Was Ignored While Some Fluff Was Implemented?

• Thread starter MoonglowMerchant
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Draxous

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Quite true...
Siege is a niche shard, with limited appeal...
If they'd made Siege a production shard, like all the others, it would get an equal share of the pie.

No it's not.

First of all, you can't even tell me how many UO players would rather play a shard with a ruleset more like sieges.

You can't tell me that new players even have the option to pick it from the server list.

You can't tell me it's a niche shard with limited appeal because of its ruleset. It has limited appeal because...

1. People don't know it even exists

2. People don't want to lose their years of work/friendships/developed characters just to play the game the way they've always wanted it to be played.

Here's the problem I have with any of you talking one itty bitty bit of smack.

With every expansion/addition to this game, more and more "non-siege" crap gets introduced to siege (instanced corpses and dungeons, lets not mention private houses, beneficial acts, blessed items, so on and so on.)

Then, we have game-stopping issues like Person Bless Deeds... which took 2 years to fix.

Then we have more game-stopping issues like armor that sucks totally and a small portion of the population having [blessed] sam helms and ember legs... making even LESS people want to try out siege... which took another 2 years to fix (4 if you count the PBD time)

Now, we have RoT... an issue since FINALLY after 4 years fixing the other 2 issues that prevented people from wanting to play this shard... we have another.

We're now 1 year after we've requested this be fixed... so in keep with tradition, waiting another year to MAYBE get this finally fixed is not only complete utter BS, its the reason why this shard is a "niche" at all.

If Siege worked properly... If only.

LeBaiton

New Player Protector
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So, in an effort to highlight an ongoing pattern of failures to fix longstanding issues in favor or short lived alternatives, I offer this thread.

Please explain a past bug/exploit/or imbalance that was ignored for too long and name one silly addition that went in during that duration.

Your turn!
Bug: People making boats "float" by placing boats in Lake Justice, then sailing past the waterfall there onto the ocean (atleast, that's how it's supposed to have worked, I think)

OSI's (at that time) solution: Not allowing boat placement in Lake Justice.

It's a trivial little annoyance, but it's so old, people just accept Lake Justice is off the charts for placing a boat. Which I think is a shame. I'm sure there's plenty more examples...

Draxous

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The one thing really annoying in Siege is the fact you can only have 1 character per account.

Doing this is almost pushing this shard into a 'PVP only shard'.

For people that do not have access to soul stones are really forced into one character type.

Sure its a good PVP shard, but what if I want to tame me some goats? What about craft some hats? This has to push new people away. Why would somebody pay 12.99 a month for one character?

I just believe if you give more variety to the player, they will be more interested in playing.
Soul stones are available to those who play siege just like they are to those who don't... cash or gold or idocs...

Siegers enjoy the 1 char per account thing because it has one side-effect that we've embraced.

You know who is who on our shard.

People can always purchase multiple accounts too... but, even then... we still know who is who... or find out if the time calls for it. We have a community.

RoT is whats suffocating our shard. 6+ months of training a character (mandatory to play) is just not helping us get people on board who have quit or just didn't want to join at the time while we had a PBD issue (2 years) and a [blessed] armor issue (another 2 years).

Now that it is... they have to be stuck like newbies for half a year because EA finally made it playable?

K

Kiminality

No it's not.

First of all, you can't even tell me how many UO players would rather play a shard with a ruleset more like sieges.
Can you?

You can't tell me that new players even have the option to pick it from the server list.
Because it's the Veteran Shard.
New players != Veteran players
would you be happy to have un-attackable [young] players on Siege?

You can't tell me it's a niche shard with limited appeal because of its ruleset. It has limited appeal because...

1. People don't know it even exists

2. People don't want to lose their years of work/friendships/developed characters just to play the game the way they've always wanted it to be played.
1.) It's not hard to know Siege exists. I think you'll find that the majority of the people who are likely to play on Siege, know it exists.
2.) How does that help your case? The only fix would be to allow transfers OR to implement Siege ruleset on production shards. Neither is likely to happen.

Siege is a niche shard.
It is designed to cater for a subset of the player-base; veteran players.
Specifically, those that want the things formerly contended as turn on/offs.

A

archite666

Quite true...
Siege is a niche shard, with limited appeal...
If they'd made Siege a production shard, like all the others, it would get an equal share of the pie.

Fixing ROT will not make all of your troubles go away.
You're complaining about the biscuits, while an elephant stands in the corner.
I am sorry, but I am not one to come here and take time and effort to alienate someones opinion. With that said, I have a very big problem with you using the word "niche" in regard to our shard. You are aware that Siege is as close to the pre age of shadows era of UO, what most would call the best time in ultima's history? Also are you aware of the amount of player run shards which copy our ruleset? Now I understand your meaning of niche, but niche implies being selective, which I do not think applies.

I believe there is a vast majority of people who love the Siege ruleset, but not for reasons you see. All you see is whats in black and white, fel ruleset everywhere, a system that harbors reds and greys, and a gain system that would make a scripter cry himself to sleep.

Siege is not about those things, its about the player interaction that happen via those limitations. I will give some awesome examples.

Firstly about the non consensual pvp, think about the ability to kill scripters no matter where they are, our economy is so insanely stable because the scripters are not protected. But more importantly the player interaction that makes the fel ruleset so awesome, I'm not talking about the mindless killing, I'm talking about the role play pvpers who mug people and others like vampiric embrace who would curse you and then make a tomb ontop of your body.

The other great thing about fel rules set on the flipside is how awesome it is when good is done, someone handing you a check for a million gold in trammy land is all good and dandy but imagen your surprise when your walking about the wild on Siege and a red character chases you down and demands you follow him to the stable where he buys you a horse, now not only is that one hell of a rush because he could have just "corp por'ed" your ass but also the sentiment is more felt given the circumstances. I guess it boils down to seeing and feeling the good when bad is most expected.

Another thing is the way skills work ( no recall or sacred journey) and the ROT system made my skill training experience awesome, I mean I agree ROT needs changed because it is a bit too slow but I loved working my way to each new level of spells and having that feeling of accomplishment especially when I was able to gate on a shard where thats the only way to travel, it made my character a real asset to people. Thats why I love Siege, and that is the only place I believe the word niche should be used: Mage,crafter, T hunter everyone here is golden and has their NICHE that everyone else values.

On a normal server why bother working up magery? Everyone has 120 and those that don't will just script it. Why bother being a crafter? All the best crafters have BOD characters and without runic hammers your no one on a normal shard, but on siege if your a gm tailor and you got some leather, you are the man! You can make gm armor that everyone needs and wants. If you worked hard enough to become a great tamer and you want to farm swoops, you wont go to swoops on siege and see 10 script mages casting EVs. That is why I love Siege, and everytime I see my legendary mage title I remember how much that means to me, to have achieved something that actually made me stand out.

And that is why, we need this ROT change, so more will come and experience the greatness without having to wait so long and many others will come back once we are back on our feet.

Chardonnay

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And when any of your questions and "answers" have any bearing on reality, let us know - because you don't have the slightest clue about what you're talking about.

Fixing code is something for those with experience with the code. More often than not, the "fluff" you complain about "taking away time from fixing code" is stuff that they do on their OWN FREE TIME - not on the clock, and sometimes at home, that they then bring into work. Some of the new event spawning systems started that way. The rest of the time, the "fluff" is stuff done by new team members, to get familiar with the code.

In EITHER case, the stuff is often GRAPHICS fluff, that is done by people who DO NOT HAVE THE TRAINING OR SKILLS involved with fixing the game code itself. There's a lot of difference between sketching someone's picture, and performing corrective surgery on a deformed body.

If you'd read the old boards over the last few years, you'd know that.
Fixing PBD on SP...2 years what do you have to say about that EA supporter?

K

Kiminality

Replying to Archite666.

Nice post :)
I don't fully agree with all you've said. But, you've made a good case.
Good points, with reasoned explanation.
That is the way to communicate.
:thumbup1:

K

Kensai Tsunami

Client crashes due to recalling, gating, entering or exiting cave openings etc etc. i dont mind gettin beat down in-game, at least i can fight and defend myself in the process. but dying from a client crash, which is getting worse and worse instead of better is very disheartening for almost anyone.

stacking! there is an apparently ever-growing list of things that wont stack ...still!! even tho EA claimed to have addressed the issue a while back.

scripting, dupes and hacks ...nuf said there.

i could literally sit here and make a painfully HUGE list of bugs that have not been fixed if i had the time or patience ...bugs that have existed for years.
lemme throw out a few examples, a couple new ones that def affect gameplay drastically and then a couple that dont really affect gameplay drastically, yet are a pain in the butt to deal with just to have some uo fun:

'curse' ...this is a new one o course. i'm curious to see how many deco items we get b4 this one is fixed. i for one am adapting to it and it has actually made the game a bit more exciting for me, but for most its a death sentence.
the latest on that one is 'we are hoping to have a fix for this in a future patch' ...or something like that. ouch.

another new one is bosses 'recalling home' ...makes ya wonder if this was even tested at all outside the realm of the invasion. i mean did any of the testers think to go to doom? and yes i know we could test it. i personally dont go to the test shards simply cuz i enjoy the surpise of the new stuff. i dont wanna know all the secrets b4 the thing even goes live. EA doesnt pay ME to test this game. i pay THEM to enjoy myself. this one, to me, seems a matter of incomplete testing b4 it went live. *sigh*

some small ones now:

tribal paint. my wife likes to wear tribal paint just for her uo 'look'.
for years now every time she logs out while wearing it, the paint is gone upon logging back in. it is actually still there but it doesnt show on the paper doll. we know its still working cuz she can walk around the savages with no aggro.
of course this is trivial to me and prolly to most everyone else reading this, but to her it is 'just another nail' - an unecessary irritant. she has reported the bug for yrs now. nothing.

bags not being open when ya log in, even tho they should open automatically, can be a problem too. i have 2 chars that this happens to every time they log in. so i am fighting ...i get booted/client crash ...i log in with a sliver of health ...maybe time to hit an aid or recall off my book or something involving 'seeing' what is in my bag and using it . hence the effect of my bag not opening upon log-in as it should.

and then there are the bugs that repeat. i'm gettin a lil worn out and slightly irritated so i'm not gonna go into detail cuz anyone thats played thru at least 4 or 5 patches knows exactly what i mean.

yes, i know there are ways around the little things. they arent a game breaker for me. none of this is, in part, or even in small parts. but the more bugs that add up on top of other bugs when we get events and goodies, instead of 'fixes' for problems, the more likely i will imagine myself not playing/paying for uo anymore. EA knows i am full of it tho. i am hopelessly in love with uo. but damn folks, spend that spare time thinkin about the bugs that are pissin your customers off and possibly fixing one or two for every few frilly little goodies for the ladies aye?

of course all this is just my opinion.
and i mean no offense.
i just wanna have fun!

:redx:

i gotta add this.
spooky but a buddy o mine just died and when he got rezzed none of his insured stuff was in his bag. and this has happened to me repeatedly too. all his stuff was on his body. so if he didnt get back to it, he loses all his stuff.
or say you fall into the 'holes' when the blackrock elems 1st spawned out by delucia and get whacked and there is no way to get to your body. and all your items are gone. thats what hap'd to me that 1st night. lost my suit that a friend had made me out of 16 barbed kits. it turned out very nice to say the least and was my pride and joy. lost my jewels, shield, necro cloak etc
it was devastating. and this has gone on for yrs. its obviously not intended. fix it!

F

Fayled Dhreams

Replying to Archite666. :thumbup1:
I agree with Kiminality, exceptionally well written, for the Hall.

Just one minor point though ...

Niche is exactly what Siege is.
2 a: a place, employment, status, or activity for which a person or thing is best fitted <finally found her niche>
b: a habitat supplying the factors necessary for the existence of an organism or species
c: the ecological role of an organism in a community especially in regard to food consumption
d: a specialized market

Siege is a niche shard, as is UO a niche of the market, as the market (mmorpgs) is of the internet, as the internet (access wise) is of human games and communication.

Niche ain't a bad thing, no need to act like it is.

It is what it is ... And Siege is a niche shard ... simple, no more no less.

Of course ... if you really want Siege to NOT be a niche ... that can be arranged too, just realize ... easier to change the smaller, to match the larger .... than the other way round.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

What Annoyingpast Bug/exploit/imbalance Was Ignored While Some Fluff Was Implemented?

KR Patchurdays! :D

S

Scratch

i think the sc mage wep with dci and stacking more dci to avoid the need for 80 dex to meet the parry requirement needs looked at.
why carry 80 dex to parry when max dci will do the same leaving you with an extra 100+ skill points and more int/str instead of dex.

G

GAMBIT35

imagen your surprise when your walking about the wild on Siege and a red character chases you down and demands you follow him to the stable where he buys you a horse, now not only is that one hell of a rush because he could have just "corp por'ed" your ass but also the sentiment is more felt given the circumstances. I guess it boils down to seeing and feeling the good when bad is most expected.
Ah.....ok.....That sounds a bit weird. Is that what you do?

E

Extra Value Meal

It's not just Siege numbers that are down, it's ALL numbers. And besides, even if they removed RoT from Siege among other things to improve it, I doubt you'll be seeing any significant long-standing player increase.

Why?

Numbers. There really isn't that many people around anymore and it's been how many years since Insurance has been introduced? People are too in love with their items to ever get accustomed to losing everything. Coupled with the fact that not many people enjoy starting over from scratch, you have a recipe for an empty shard.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Look around UHall...

Whenever EA aren't adding fluff, the "we're BOOOOOOOOOOOOORED!!111#1!!" brigade start up. We want this, we want events, we want shiny things, give us dyes in stupid colours. Fluff is added because the players demand it. Not all of us - I'd happily have no events or new content for a year if it meant the team could fix old problems instead. But the Bored Brigade would step in, cry till even their socks were damp, and EA would try to appease them before they quit by adding fluff.

So don't be so quick to condemn EA as we the players need to take responsibility for some fluffing of UO.

I'd just like to see cheating dealt with in a concerted effort... there's a whole stack of work to be done fixing up UO, but that's what sticks out for me right now.

Again, this is where the majority voice comes into play, we can all suggest what we think is most important, but EA will likely listen to a) the strongest voices and b) the easily fixed. B is always good for player morale - "ooh look at all the stuff we fixed" - big bug fix lists FTW :)

Wenchy

Anakena

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The biggest problem of these last years was imho the automated and unattended spawncams.Those spawncams had a huge impact on the felucca facet (prolly too on some rare spots like inquisitor resolution).

- A lot of people left the game due to that.
- It forced people to go in big guilds, either for raiding, either for defending.
- Each time a big guild began to use spawncams, the overal spawn activities, included the related PvP aspect, was often lowered
- It gave the impression, justified or not, that in UO one is allowed to cheat.

I reckon it was probably not an easy task to make the difference between an unattended and an attended spawncam, but the fact they were at one point used on most shards speaks for itself.

S

Satanatra

MoonglowMerchant - i think you should go back to bed because you obviously woke up on the wrong side of everything today. Could you be more negative?

Sure, the devs add a lot of fluff, but they fix a lot too. Certainly, they havent fixed everything, and they probably havent fixed stuff according to your personal list of priorities, but they have fixed a lot of stuff.

People want fluff - admit it! I bet you have fluff somewhere hidden. It s probably next to the smile that you havent shown anyone in years...

WWGRD?

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Those things may be turn-ons to the Siege player, who's chosen to play Siege, possibly on those merits.
But, are they really turn-ons for those that don't play Siege? Really?
You are working under the huge assumption that people are going to love Siege for the same reasons you do.
Hate to say it, but those things are totally awesome. The only thing that keeps me off of seige, is frigging RoT. I have a house, I have gold (thanks to a friend) I even have access to a tailor/smith on another friend's acct. But ffs I can not stand RoT. I did the math, it was going to take me almost 6 weeks, 3 hours a day, to make my character playable. The 6 weeks I could almost live with, but twiddling my thumbs waiting 15 minutes so I could actually gain again, bored the **** out me. I mean wtf am I supposed to do with a non-playable char for 15 mins while I wait?

Lord Gareth

UO Content Editor | UO Chesapeake & Rares News
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
Well I have Three thing to say SP stinks thats why no one plays it.

THANK YOU EA FOR GIVING ME AN ARCHERY BRUTE THAT I HAVE WANTED SINCE 1997 WHEN I STARTED THE GAME!!!

Thank you thank you thank you.

As for the ones complaining about the new things....

YOU AL CRY WHEN THEY DONT GIVE YOU SOMETHING NEW TO DO! YOU ALL CRY WHEN THEY GIVE YOU NEW THINGS! YOU ALL CRY WHEN THEY BALANCE SOMETHING. YOU ALL CRY WHEN THEY GO HOME AT THE END OF THE NIGHT TO THEIR FAMILY!!!

Okay with that said.

Jeremy YO! Get on the house foundations already....shesh new choices . >:)

V

Vyrquenox

ROT is not nearly as simple as you think, I have been assured. It's on our list, but will take a fair amount of careful testing and research before we can tweak it. (I had hoped it was a one-line change, but it looks like it's not.)
oh, i hate to be the critic as you are all trying hard, but like i said earlier, Cal even had the guts to say he is biting his lip off not talking about what is really going on because he would be fired. And that is EXACTLY what he meant, and he had the brains to figure out how to be honest about it without any liability to himself. Wilki pulled some devious 'screw you EA' tricks for us before he took off. You cannot in anyway honestly say that in the 6 years that the ROT In siege has been messed up nobody had any time to do anything about it. You are all ordered to do what QA says from EA, and even the devs have to scratch their heads really hard to figure out a way to kind of slip the real fix in somehow. Its not like Cotton is stupid and doesn't care and cant' fix stuff, but he has a job that he is trying his best to do under orders from great big faceless clone lawyer beueauocrats who have never seen an 'avatar' let alone a commodore 64 or a comic book. Now, what you need to start saying to cover your a&& and be honest, is 'sometimes a person walks into a room with his toolbox and the cops tell him he can't use the tools.' we aren't stupid either. well, most of us. well, the important ones. I am learning a lot about business and how it works, a lot just from this game, and while it would be easier and better and fix everything and help the game out immensely to just tell us what your 'list' is, you cannot, because you need a job and some corporate hellhound has made you sign a paper, and they did this because of my old and constant gripe. Plausible deniability and the abscense of liability. Even I have been clever enough to figure out how to put on paper that i was going to do some dastardly deed to someone without any ability for anyone to proove the innuendo. You guys can be smart enough to use better innuendo, cya and tell us more. Guess what? Then you will probably all have more time to actually work or go to lunch or take phone calls from kids or whatnot because you won't have 5 billion screaming messages asking for answers you can't straight out give. The end.

V

Vyrquenox

And when any of your questions and "answers" have any bearing on reality, let us know - because you don't have the slightest clue about what you're talking about.

Fixing code is something for those with experience with the code. More often than not, the "fluff" you complain about "taking away time from fixing code" is stuff that they do on their OWN FREE TIME - not on the clock, and sometimes at home, that they then bring into work. Some of the new event spawning systems started that way. The rest of the time, the "fluff" is stuff done by new team members, to get familiar with the code.

In EITHER case, the stuff is often GRAPHICS fluff, that is done by people who DO NOT HAVE THE TRAINING OR SKILLS involved with fixing the game code itself. There's a lot of difference between sketching someone's picture, and performing corrective surgery on a deformed body.

ok, who died and made you more important than anyone else. Are you a presidential scholar with a 174 IQ and a national merit scholar as well? I think probably not. I am. It doesn't matter that it is different, performing 'corrective surgery on someones body' and 'sketching someone's picture' as you so delightedly decide it is like Titanic and DiCaprio is 'sketching' someone and its very easy for the artists to do these things, is completely irrelevant, it like saying its very different to replace an alternator than to chop down a tree. So the heck what. I actually know people who have done code for Bioware and their code is no more horrifying that yours, and they can fix a problem in about five minutes because the company wants them to. Of course, that will change soon too because they are also all going to get thrown into shackles and not allowed to do anything. The problem is, you trite and self-righteous march-the-line human being, they have to go through so many committees to review committes and and recertification of what they want to do the darn signature that it is okay hardly ever even gets picked up at the fax machine drop off and sent to them. Now stop yelling at people who pay with their time and work for this service for wanting better service by saying to them they have no ability to understand that it's SO HARD to actually do this stuff. It isn't HARD it is the bloody red tape they have to go through to ever actually hit SAVE.

V

Vyrquenox

the point is draconi isn't a stupid person at all, and its not his fault all this is happening, and we all know that it is in his wishes this was all the way we all say it should be, but its EA, not the devs or anyone else.

M

MoonglowMerchant

Those things may be turn-ons to the Siege player, who's chosen to play Siege, possibly on those merits.
But, are they really turn-ons for those that don't play Siege? Really?
You are working under the huge assumption that people are going to love Siege for the same reasons you do.
Hate to say it, but those things are totally awesome. The only thing that keeps me off of seige, is frigging RoT. I have a house, I have gold (thanks to a friend) I even have access to a tailor/smith on another friend's acct. But ffs I can not stand RoT. I did the math, it was going to take me almost 6 weeks, 3 hours a day, to make my character playable. The 6 weeks I could almost live with, but twiddling my thumbs waiting 15 minutes so I could actually gain again, bored the **** out me. I mean wtf am I supposed to do with a non-playable char for 15 mins while I wait?
I wonder how many players would start on Siege if ROT was updated for AOS.

I wonder how many would return if factions hadn't been accidentally broken and never fixed.

I wonder how many would play more without these ridiculous super dragons and overpowered hide/stealth (thanks devs for breaking that too).

I wonder why I keep paying my subscription fees only to have them used for content that I don't need (and that often breaks older content) while issues that have been present for years go unattended.

G

galefan2004

Finishing the virtues would have been nice.

Fixing the bard exploit (to bypass the skill timer) would have been nice.

Fixing the verticle bug issues (that are now even worse as you can't cast on what you can't see) would have been nice.

Dealing with scripters and speed hackers in the PvP arena would have been nice.

Working a lot of the systems (community collections, Doom, etc.) that depended on a large ammount of players participating to match the actual dwindling numbers of people that play this game would have been nice.

Reworking power scrolls to make them obtainable by people other than those that find the latest exploit to rule Felucca would have been nice.

G

galefan2004

The peacemaking exploit has yet to be fixed after 6 months of it confirmed being in the bug queue and possibly being in there for much longer. Most recently it has been used to slaughter Vanguards during this event and facilitate the farming of 10th Anniversary artifacts for the turn-in. It is the exploit that keeps on giving.
Yes because Vanguards are hard to solo (*sighs*). Also, getting 10th anniversary artifacts is hard (*sighs again*). However, I do agree this bug needs fixed because the bard timer bug also allows bards to solo things like Shimmering Effusion.

G

galefan2004

No. I think you have no clue what you are talking about. It doesn't matter how much new crap they add...eventually those game stopping issues will do just that.

Fixing code is something for those with experience with the code.
You mean like developers that get paid to work with code?

More often than not, the "fluff" you complain about "taking away time from fixing code" is stuff that they do on their OWN FREE TIME - not on the clock, and sometimes at home, that they then bring into work.
I highly doubt any of the development team are hourly employees. They have no clock. Salary employees basically give their lives to their company. They have a schedule they have to meet and if that means working around the clock then thats what they do. Any sallary position pretty much works that way.

Some of the new event spawning systems started that way. The rest of the time, the "fluff" is stuff done by new team members, to get familiar with the code.
That would explain why they break more things than they fix when they add in the fluff. But, wouldn't it make more sense to have them get used to the code by trying to find an old bug burried in years of code?

Is this your way of calling UO programmers subpar? I mean, why can't UO find staff that is capable of fixing game stopping bugs instead of adding pretty black shields and swords?

I've read and posted on these boards since 2000. In that time, its always been the same old spin. Some of us chose not to drink the cool aid like you did though.

G

galefan2004

How is any post flayed makes seen as anything other than spam. I thought spamming the boards to drive up your post counts was bannable?

Nystul

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ROT is not nearly as simple as you think, I have been assured. It's on our list, but will take a fair amount of careful testing and research before we can tweak it. (I had hoped it was a one-line change, but it looks like it's not.)
I could overhaul the ROT system in my sleep. It's amazing how hard things are made to sound. But I guess working on something developed YEARS ago by another person, with thier coding organized in a different fashion and possibly uncommented without explination & detail could suck.

S

Saris

fix the recall and gate and teleport crash bugs, it seems to have come from a more recent patch so I should not be to hard to figure out what caused it and start form there.

You know I talked two ppl last week into trying UO, it was easy when I explained the way its an open and skill based games with item based adjustment. OO the houses thing helped too.
......Advertise

Expansion, whats going on wtih KR how about way down the road plans, lack of info cuase's too many ppl to seculate things that they dont truly have the data to speculate on.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To give an example, it's a lot easier to build a new house, than make extensive modifications to an existing one. The latter MAY be cheaper, in terms of supplies, but will often take MUCH longer. And, quite often, once you actually LOOK at what the modification requires, things might become difficult, or near impossible given time and money constraints (example: opening up a wall or a subroutine, and finding out the contents are NOT what was indicated on the design plans, isn't all that different - or uncommon. And they both cause MAJOR headaches for the people havign to fix them)
I think a better house related analogy would be buy a new set of throw pillows to putting in a new bathroom.

A lot of the holiday stuff clearly takes like half an hour to make, or is made entirely by the artists amount of time wise, and i know a lot of it is on dev free time.

I agree that the ROT changes are way over due, and not because it gets pushed aside for holiday items, or any other non issue that clearly takes no real time to develop, but rather for larger wastes of time like KR.
I really doubt highly that any major game changes were ever put on hold to add new holiday items or anything else silly like that.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
mmm... i've been playing siege since it opened, and I think its far and away the best shard, and ruleset even with all of its problems, but It's a niche shard. Its not like niche is a derogitary term or anything.

Most gamers don't want the kind of setting siege has to offer, in any game, but some players so, and as such, most games have niche servers to compensate them.

That said, are there people who would enjoy the shard but have a bad opinion about it for no real reason? Yeah there are. Are they really that many people? I doubt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.