• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Lock Picking] What all do I need for a Lockpicking house?

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am looking to put in some things to help people train lockpicking, but I've never done that =(

Can anyone help me out with what exactly I need? I have a GM carp/Tink... I think that will come in handy ha... I hope

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Lock picking houses aren't as tough to set up as they once were. You don't need the quantity of lock boxes that you once did. You can technically get away with one box for each but then it would take longer since the macro would be so short. i recomend using at least 10 of each.

In a nut shell, this is what you will need;

At least 10 lock boxes made by a tinker that has 30 tinkering skill for people 0-30 lock picking. (technically its faster to buy it to 30 but some people are cheap)

At least 10 lock boxes made by a tinker that has 50 tinkering skill for people 30-50 lock picking.

At least 10 lock boxes made by a tinker that has 70 tinkering skill for people 50-70 lock picking.

At least 10 lock boxes made by a tinker that has GM tinkering skill for people 70-95 lock picking.

The final 5 skill points can only be done by lock picking level 4 or higher dungeon chests or level 4 treasure map chests. They can also do the twisted weald satire method that can be found here. You may be able to sell chests for this method or at least post it in a book at the house so people know how it works.

Once the boxes are made, keep them seperate of course, then put each level in another crate or box. You will need a key ring for each set as well. Put all the keys for each set one one key ring and line the boxes up inside the one with the key ring next to it so they can make a lock macro to lock the boxes using the key ring and then a unlock macro using lock picks.

Here is the crates I have and how they are marked.

Here is what it looks like inside the crates and how they are arranged.

http://thedemigod.info/images/lp2.jpg

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Of course, you make sure to have the boxes lined up in 2D/Classic Client, as the Enhanced client is a bit more tricky to get them to line up so that 2D users can use them easily.

And, don't you have to set the locked down permissions individually for the items within? I had some difficulty to that effect when setting up my boxes at the current LA THB house, after the move.

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Of course, you make sure to have the boxes lined up in 2D/Classic Client, as the Enhanced client is a bit more tricky to get them to line up so that 2D users can use them easily.

And, don't you have to set the locked down permissions individually for the items within? I had some difficulty to that effect when setting up my boxes at the current LA THB house, after the move.

I set mine using the 2d client but I can't believe that I forgot to mention that. Thank you! If you set them in the 3d client there is a good chance that they will all end up on top of eachother so someone using the 2d client will only be able to see one of them.

As Basara stated ( I did not realize that but I double checked and he was correct) you need to lock down the crate holding all of the lock boxes and key ring. You then have to set the security on the crate to anyone and then set the security on everything inside the crate to anyone. As long as the crate is locked down, then no one can remove anything though they will still be able to lock the boxes using the key ring and will be able to pick the locks using lock picks.

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you!! Much more in depth than I expected! I'm on my phone but when I get home I'll make a better post. But just wanted to thank you!

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
To be honest I don't think so but to keep things orderly I would suggest small ones which is why most people probably use the ones shown in my picture. If you go with bigger ones, you won't be able to neatly fit them in 2d so they can easily be seen and used. Hope this helps.