• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Whammy on the Cheap?

Mordha

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Hi guys, been toying with trying something a bit different but wasn't sure what.
What I do know, is that I would like to keep this as cheap a build as possible. Minimal scroll use (scrolls are so expensive on Atlantic these days) and gear (I'm not rich, lol)

With that said, I do have a few items I can use, like Blackthorn's M&S helm and Blackthorn's Crimmy style belt.

My first thought was Mace, tactics, anatomy, heal, parry, chiv and resist. With Mace being 120. But had a friend suggest a "Whammy" build. I looked through search and found a lot of old threads (which I didn't want to necro), so I figured I'd ask for some suggestions. Toon will be used in group pvm, so I'll be ok being a "melee" DPS toon.

Any suggestions for builds and gear would be helpful

Cork

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I have swords, mace, and archery 120 on soulstone so I can swap out when I feel like it. There are some fights where being a melee is really a downside. Being able to swap out to archery is very nice.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Look up dragoon, theres a guide on strat somewhere. One my favorites, cheap build, good all around pvm toon.

Sent from my SM-J337VPP using Tapatalk

Mordha

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I thought the Dragoon needed 120 scrolls for everything? Or did I miss something? I'll look at it again. Do you think it can be adapted to mace? Was thinking about trying a different weapon group, I have swords with a samp and a "melee" toon (it's as close to Dragoon as I could get but it's just not there) and an ABC.
Scrolls are scary expensive these days on Atlantic

@Cork, are you saying my thought for a build is ok but have stones for swords and archery to switch to as needed?

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My Sampire technically doubles as a Wammy since he has GM SS.
120 Swords
GM Tactics
GM Chivalry
GM Bushido
GM Necromancy
GM SS
GM Parry or Resist (i soulstone between these depending on what i'm hunting)

Wammy pairs pretty well with Swords, since i can cast Corpse Skin and it stacks with Onslaught for up to -35 Fire or Poison Resist. I usually sit in Vampire Form (can ride a Swampy then), and will cast Curse Weapon if i'm fighting a heavy hitter or big groups, so i get 70% Hit Life Drain from that, for 3.5x more self healing than the average Sampire. I'll use Wraith Form for when fighting Semidar (negates the reflected damage from being Male), or when i want to make a Changeling vulnerable to Undead Slayer (let's me tear apart Irk, or Renegade Changeling Paragons). I use Arcane Thigh Boots to cast Necro spells, and keep 5 Arcane Gems and 100 Pig Iron (5 stacks of 20 for Curse Weapon) on me. I use the FC 1 Town Bonus for faster casts, particularly Curse Weapon.

Cork

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
@Cork, are you saying my thought for a build is ok but have stones for swords and archery to switch to as needed?
I'm not a fan of the dragoon it's just personal preference. But I do recommend having archery on a soulstone because there are some fights that are just not great for a melee char. Being able to switch to archery when needed can be really helpful. As far as what main weapon skill to use I prefer swords. But really it all boils down to personal preference. It can work with any of them.

James [W^H]

Slightly Crazed
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi guys, been toying with trying something a bit different but wasn't sure what.
What I do know, is that I would like to keep this as cheap a build as possible. Minimal scroll use (scrolls are so expensive on Atlantic these days) and gear (I'm not rich, lol)

With that said, I do have a few items I can use, like Blackthorn's M&S helm and Blackthorn's Crimmy style belt.

My first thought was Mace, tactics, anatomy, heal, parry, chiv and resist. With Mace being 120. But had a friend suggest a "Whammy" build. I looked through search and found a lot of old threads (which I didn't want to necro), so I figured I'd ask for some suggestions. Toon will be used in group pvm, so I'll be ok being a "melee" DPS toon.

Any suggestions for builds and gear would be helpful
The skills you list are a pure Paladin, which is as basic and inexpensive as you can get. You say you don't want necro, so forget about a Whammy. Bushido makes your Paladin into a Dragoon. See post 6 for an excellent writeup on a Dragoon by @Jepeth Best Damage type for UEV? and a link to the creator of the Dragoon @Duncan Drake, The Dragoon (Bushido Paladin V.2.3) Your main fighting skill is up to you, but base your choice on what you would enjoy as the "deciding factor". All fighting skills have their pros and cons. When you do add scrolls, the weapon skill is your first priority. Yes, they are very expensive, but you can start with 105 or 110 if 120's are too expensive. With your Blackthorn helm and Crimmy, it would be easy to build an inexpensive suit. Using the correct weapon for what your fighting is the key to any of these builds, so consider this into your cost. Typically, different builds, i.e. Melee or Ranged, use different suits and accessories, so I don't mix those skills on the same character. Good Luck on your build and by all means, enjoy it!

Last edited:

Jepeth

Seasoned Veteran
UNLEASHED
I read Jepeth’s post in the other thread and that was very much what I was looking for.

@Jepeth do you think you could post pictures of the pieces in your suit?
Sure can!

arms.png boots.png bracelet.jpg cloak.png gloves.png legs.png helm.png legs.png medal.png ring.jpg sash.png tunic.png

As I mentioned in the other post, this build works for me and how I want my character to be: a healing paladin. I'm sure there are other variations of this or Sampire or whatever that are more effective. I have to, again, credit @Khyro for helping me get this working. I was trying to play like it was still 2001 and a 7xGM was the end-all. He was a huge help in getting me sorted out.

You'll notice that I'm not using the Lord Morphius' Swing Speed Increase Epaulettes. I could, but don't on this character. Again, it's too important for him to wear that tabard. Now that we have the robe transmogs, I may combine it with something other than a hawkwind's for fun.

Mordha

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Thank you. I was able to cobble together some gear to get me started. I’m pretty sure builds work for the person that plays the build. With that said, I did use your skill set with mace instead of swords.I’m just looking for something to experiment with right now, which why I don’t want to invest in pricey scrolls. I was able to grab a 120 mace for less then 1m. Once I make some weapons, my next trick is see how this works for me.

Jepeth

Seasoned Veteran
UNLEASHED
In that case see if you can lay hold of a nice crafted Krampus barbed whip so you still have frenzied whirl wind as a special available.

Last edited:

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
In that case see if you can lay hold of a nice crafted Krampus barbed whip so you still have frenzied whirl wind as a special available.
Barbed Whip has WW+Conc Blow, not FWW. It's the only 1 handed WW Wep that Macing has.