• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Weirdest trained pets???

Sam Adams

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
What are some off the wall pets to train up that actually work? So far I've liked my white tiger. I'm trying a cat atm because it can be trained to 3 slot which sounds fun. A chicken has similar stats. A glacial frost spider looks nice and can go to 4 slots.

I'm not needing something that can take down a para bally or anything, just something fun.

Reactions: dvv

Sam Adams

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I'm working my cat and almost gm wrestle and tac. I'm having a hard time finding a good spot to work slots.

gwen

Slightly Crazed
Funniest for me is Ninja Triton. With FWW + Talon strike + AOE. Just for WF spawn. 1000 hp and 500+ STR( skill damage not depend on it) It can survive in fire spawn kicking para succubuses, hiding, dropping angry and kicking again. As my thrower cannot heal it at all (close wounds is no good) it is on it's own. Sometimes going to the altar and earning me some power scrolls while I wait till Semidar will be killed and somebody will res me. If I survive spawn and we both get to Semidar, we get a skull 90% of times. Not a big damage dealer, but survivability is great.

bourne

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
Funniest for me is Ninja Triton. With FWW + Talon strike + AOE. Just for WF spawn. 1000 hp and 500+ STR( skill damage not depend on it) It can survive in fire spawn kicking para succubuses, hiding, dropping angry and kicking again. As my thrower cannot heal it at all (close wounds is no good) it is on it's own. Sometimes going to the altar and earning me some power scrolls while I wait till Semidar will be killed and somebody will res me. If I survive spawn and we both get to Semidar, we get a skull 90% of times. Not a big damage dealer, but survivability is great.
What AOE did you put on him in addition to FWW? Did you scroll Healing or use any scrolls on this Triton? What are the stats/resists?

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@gwen

May I ask why did you choose to invest 600 training points into Talon strike ?

I mean, to my understanding, its usefullness is rather limited.... it only reduces the Hit Point Regeneration of its target for only a few seconds (based on the Pet's Ninjitsu skill).
I understand that it also does a some extra damage but I am not sure, for 20 Mana cost, how much extra damage it might really do...

Also, as in regards the AoE special, which of the 6 available did you find or more usefullness ?

I see most Tamers go with Explosive Goo. Are the other 5, Aura of Energy, Aura of Nausea, Essence of Disease, Essence of Earth and Poison Breath not that much useful ?

Thanks !

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
@gwen

I mean, to my understanding, its usefullness is rather limited.... it only reduces the Hit Point Regeneration of its target for only a few seconds (based on the Pet's Ninjitsu skill).
I understand that it also does a some extra damage but I am not sure, for 20 Mana cost, how much extra damage it might really do...

Also, as in regards the AoE special, which of the 6 available did you find or more usefullness ?

I see most Tamers go with Explosive Goo. Are the other 5, Aura of Energy, Aura of Nausea, Essence of Disease, Essence of Earth and Poison Breath not that much useful ?

Thanks !
If you had bothered to read the post it was a NINJA build so they used you know NINJA skills?

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you had bothered to read the post it was a NINJA build so they used you know NINJA skills?
And so what ?

A few seconds of Hit Point Regeneration of a target is still a few seconds, even at 120 Ninjitsu.... I am not sure how it would be such of a big deal to spend 20 Mana to stop the Hit Regeneration of a MoB for just a few seconds....

Now, "if" the exra damage done by Talon strike at 120 Ninjitsu was significant, that would make it a different story...

UOGuide at Talon Strike - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia indicates : "Talon Strike imparts a Damage Increase of approximately 20%. " But it is unclear to me 20% of what...

Of the "Base Damage" that the pet does (for example of the 24-33 base damage that some pets have) ?

Or, of the modified damage that a pet does when buffs are factored in ?

It would make quite a difference of "when" the extra damage from Talon strike was factored in, I would imagine, as 20% of 24 is roughly 5, instead, 20% of 150 after buffs, is 30...

But I could find it nowhere explained how this "extra" damage is factored in.... also, at least from UOGuide, I seem to understand that Ninjitsu skills helps nothing in increasing that 20% damage, whether at low Ninjitsu or high Ninjitsu, I understand that it is still 20%...

Last edited:

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
And so what ?

A few seconds of Hit Point Regeneration of a target is still a few seconds, even at 120 Ninjitsu.... I am not sure how it would be such of a big deal to spend 20 Mana to stop the Hit Regeneration of a MoB for just a few seconds....

Now, "if" the exra damage done by Talon strike at 120 Ninjitsu was significant, that would make it a different story...

UOGuide at Talon Strike - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia indicates : "Talon Strike imparts a Damage Increase of approximately 20%. " But it is unclear to me 20% of what...

Of the "Base Damage" that the pet does (for example of the 24-33 base damage that some pets have) ?

Or, of the modified damage that a pet does when buffs are factored in ?

It would make quite a difference of "when" the extra damage from Talon strike was factored in, I would imagine, as 20% of 24 is roughly 5, instead, 20% of 150 after buffs, is 30...

But I could find it nowhere explained how this "extra" damage is factored in.... also, at least from UOGuide, I seem to understand that Ninjitsu skills helps nothing in increasing that 20% damage, whether at low Ninjitsu or high Ninjitsu, I understand that it is still 20%...
Again do you understand what you are reading this the weirdest pet builds not the most effective killin machine pet builds the weirdest so of course a NINJA pet would only use yep you guessed it NINJA spells and moves ?? There is nothing deeper or hidden here stop trying to read into it go get one of your broken pre patch cu's and make a weird build...

gwen

Slightly Crazed
@gwen

Thanks !
Hi.
Talon strike cost was 100 points (I have FWW so Ninjitsu is shared)
I stated little wrong in last post. STR is around 300. Problem is all usual skills like AI need high STR to deal visible damage. This pet STR was low so I gave it try. I was using bad tritons for this. And with 120 Ninjitsu pet give mobs really high -HP regen. I had really no Idea why I choose all this. Was like experiment and are OP asked about weird pets.
Goo hits really far. It drags mobs to pet from a very long distance. And it's visual is impressive. Aura of nausea is good if you have some melee damading skills. It is -SSI -DCI
But its mana price is high. Nobody knows when RNG gods will want it to proc, So not reliable. Good for some occasions. In some stable party may be.

@Anon McDougle for fel champ spawn during wildfire it was pretty good killing machine. Damage lots of mobs- Heal-Hide. Without me healing it.
Later I stoned taming for healing and parry to survive myself, but times when I had pet there were funny. And rarely got skuls after this (not highest damage to champion) but started getting replicas (my damage to spawn increased)

Last edited:

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi.
Talon strike cost was 100 points (I have FWW so Ninjitsu is shared)
I stated little wrong in last post. STR is around 300. Problem is all usual skills like AI need high STR to deal visible damage. This pet STR was low so I gave it try. I was using bad tritons for this. And with 120 Ninjitsu pet give mobs really high -HP regen. I had really no Idea why I choose all this. Was like experiment and are OP asked about weird pets.
Goo hits really far. It drags mobs to pet from a very long distance. And it's visual is impressive. Aura of nausea is good if you have some melee damading skills. It is -SSI -DCI
But its mana price is high. Nobody knows when RNG gods will want it to proc, So not reliable. Good for some occasions. In some stable party may be.

@Anon McDougle for fel champ spawn during wildfire it was pretty good killing machine. Damage lots of mobs- Heal-Hide. Without me healing it.
Later I stoned taming for healing and parry to survive myself, but times when I had pet there were funny. And rarely got skuls after this (not highest damage to champion) but started getting replicas (my damage to spawn increased)
@gwen

Thank you for the kind reply.

It is good to learn that, at 120 Ninjitsu, the loss of Hit Points regen on the target was, to your experience, noticeable.... I have read, though, that it is capped at 7 seconds so, at most, each Talon Strike effects Hit Points Regen loss on the target for 7 seconds, not more.

I understand now why many Tamers like Goo, not really for the dagame that it does, but because of its large range to attract MoBs close to the pet which, then, with FWW, can kill them more easily. It makes sense to be preferred then, with a pet having FWW.

May I ask you to clarify what you mean when you mention that your FWW Triton was hiding ?

Is it something that comes with Ninjitsu ?

I am asking, because I do not usually see pets hiding on their own so, that surprised me... is there a cost of Mana for the pet to get into hiding ?

Also, with your FWW Triton, how much Intelligence, Mana Regen and Mana did it have ? And did you notice it running out of Mana too fast, too soon ?

Indeed, I have been reading that, a most effective FWW pet is one with very high strength as, to my understanding, FWW damage is very much depending on the pet's strength....

In such perspective, may I ask whether, a Dragon Wolf that can have overcapped Strength (I think up to 915) and can be tamed as a 3 slot pet, would make a very effective FWW pet for spawns ?

Although, I seem to understand that Dragon Wolves cannot get Goo as AoE.... they are limited to Aura of Nausea, Poison Breath and Essence of Disease.
They cannot get Chivalry either.... although, they can get Armor Ignore.....

I know that Shadow Wyrms can go as high as 1050 overcapped strength but, they get tamed as 5 slots so, there is not margin to train them as there is with a Dragon Wolf that can be tamed at 3 slots....

gwen

Slightly Crazed
@popps
FWW damage does NOT depends on pets strength. Same as toon one. Only on Ninjitsu skill and "base damage". Same for Talon Strike. Which gives up to -50regen based only on skill level. Your pet will be able to damage ortanords and ore elementals. Never had enough patience to see if it can kill em.
Pet can hide (using virtual smoke bombs) if you also open Ninjitsu in magical abilities(where Chiv is). Cost 101 points more for hiding +skill turning on if you have hidden Ninjitsu from FWW or other skills. . You can have it on statue pets opened in Tokuno . Or native there, Like Lesser Hiryu. If you have no tritons -go try them. Easy to tame and comes in different colour. It hides, attack from stealth mode, has fun on its own. Suits necro ranged or melee tamer very well. But no good if your tamer is not a fighter. Very effective when you help your pet with HLA/HLD and area hit to finish low HP foes gathered around him. Of course no All Kill. Only guarding.

Nicnivin

Visitor
Another pet, not very inspired in terms of specials, but definitely focused and fun to get out of the stable - a small hellcat.
feuerbaellchen.png
I kept it at 2 slots, because I paired it with a 3 slot lion, for pack instinct.

The hellcat is really menacing. When I let her attack she dumps all the mana into necro spells, which is really fun to watch. After that it is getting boring soon. Since the pack instinct bonus is not that impressive for a 2+3 slot pair, she might perform good with a 3 slot fire beetle that has RC or Inferno.

Nicnivin

Visitor
And finally a pet I am using with a fencer, mainly for the giggles - a baby tiger.
Tabsy.png
This was a try to add some support for a melee. Taming and Lore is boosted to 49 by jewelry. Healing the pet is an issue (only 80 skill in SW and Gift of Renewal has a long cool down), but with friends helping with heals the baby tiger can drop some debuffs and fulfill its main purpose, being cute.

pevil

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I trained up a 16th Anniversary horse. Also maxed base damage and the resists but didn't bother showing them here. No scrolls as I'm just a poor person. He is 3 slot and can take on earth eles easily. I have more horses (anniversary and normal) to train up and try random things on, just because I can. I also have a walrus and 2 squirrels that are mid-training.

Attachments

gwen

Slightly Crazed
I trained up a 16th Anniversary horse. Also maxed base damage and the resists but didn't bother showing them here. No scrolls as I'm just a poor person. He is 3 slot and can take on earth eles easily. I have more horses (anniversary and normal) to train up and try random things on, just because I can. I also have a walrus and 2 squirrels that are mid-training.
Always max stamina to 150, do it on your very first round so you will not forget it. Cost is small but it increases damage output.

Gossamer Moonfly

Adventurer
UNLEASHED
I wonder if my Cu named Le Chuck with Magery Mastery and AI used when out hunting pirates counts?

He's lots of fun and loves jumping into their ships looking for a fight.

He was an unwanted pet gifted to me that I have fun with now. Haven't put any scrolls on him as points are quite tight.

Ascalon

Adventurer
Like pevil mentioned, I trained an Anniversary horse as well. I used 110 scrolls that you can get from TMapping. It seems about right. My first one, I made with more regens and Repel, but from what I learned I redid the template to increase the Strength and Hit Points. Even the original one can kill Swoop, but I found it useful for culling Nightmares (including Paragons) in order to get a rare colored one. The dark red one, Traveller was the original and the orange one, Julius was the revised/current template that I'd recommend. Yes, I know, bad pun, but surprisingly I haven't been PK'ed for it, I think... Traveller.jpg Julius.jpg

gwen

Slightly Crazed
Like pevil mentioned, I trained an Anniversary horse as well. I used 110 scrolls that you can get from TMapping. It seems about right. My first one, I made with more regens and Repel, but from what I learned I redid the template to increase the Strength and Hit Points. Even the original one can kill Swoop, but I found it useful for culling Nightmares (including Paragons) in order to get a rare colored one. The dark red one, Traveller was the original and the orange one, Julius was the revised/current template that I'd recommend. Yes, I know, bad pun, but surprisingly I haven't been PK'ed for it, I think... View attachment 122901 View attachment 122902
For this purpose 3slot Lesser Hiryu is pretty good. Check it out. Can have up to 85 fire resist at spawn and up to 108 wrestling. And it is magical and mountable. Can make it Chiv/Ai
Easy to tame if lured to nearby house.

pevil

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Always max stamina to 150, do it on your very first round so you will not forget it. Cost is small but it increases damage output.
Thanks, I do on most things but knowing these only go to 3 slotters I wasn't too bothered and was just messing about, hence the random abilities too :) Or it might've been my first trained thing, it's been done a while so I can't remember now!

Ascalon, that's pretty cool! I'm still very much a wimp and don't play often so I've never been near Swoop or anything scarier than Destard with any of my chars but that's really good to know your horse can do so much. And that I'm not the only person training up 'lesser' tames.

gwen

Slightly Crazed
Thanks, I do on most things but knowing these only go to 3 slotters I wasn't too bothered and was just messing about, hence the random abilities too :) Or it might've been my first trained thing, it's been done a while so I can't remember now!

Ascalon, that's pretty cool! I'm still very much a wimp and don't play often so I've never been near Swoop or anything scarier than Destard with any of my chars but that's really good to know your horse can do so much. And that I'm not the only person training up 'lesser' tames.
You can try Ruddy Boura. Not trained need 0 taming to own and 19 taming to tame. 2 slot, trainable to 3 (will need 60+taming then) Starts with 400+ health and Str. Tough but not magical.

I will start to train my ferrets as soon as current events will end. Critters are bonded for a long time. You can try them too if you like lesser tames.

Izzy MBC

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I think this meets the requirements of the thread; I'm eager to tell of my regular Mongbat who I finally finished training (well, pet plan applied, need to work on his skills still).
An Ancient Mongbat Lord.png
I don't actually have a tamer so this was the first time I've used the Advanced Training system; as a result the implemented plan is undoubtedly not the best.
As my character isn't a tamer, I just had to buy 2 Soulstones to off-load music+prov, to then buy skill in taming+lore. I was hitting a skill wall half way through implementing his stats/resists, which a taming+lore jewelry set couldn't overcome. So this Mongbat cost me £15 in Soulstones to complete tonight but he does topple Ogre's and Mummy's in seconds! His upgrade in power is way better than I expected from the new training system so despite the time and money cost, I'm still quite pleased~

Edit: Just noticed, I didn't share the pic of his abilities; I went with Grasping Claw, Bleed and Mortal Strike. Repel sounded pretty cool, but I read it's timer based and so doesn't work like a mage's Magic Reflect spell.

Last edited:

pevil

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
You can try Ruddy Boura. Not trained need 0 taming to own and 19 taming to tame. 2 slot, trainable to 3 (will need 60+taming then) Starts with 400+ health and Str. Tough but not magical.

I will start to train my ferrets as soon as current events will end. Critters are bonded for a long time. You can try them too if you like lesser tames.
Ferrets could be fun! I think I have a boura in my stable, just not trained yet, along with 2 squirrels (named after 2 pet rodents I have in real life), more anniversary horses, some 'normal' horses, my aforementioned walrus and probably a few others. Plus some of the usual suspects (WW/Mare/beetles/Cu etc). I just find it more fun to wander round with something different though the mare and WW always hold a soft spot for me (and are trained if I want to do some tougher stuff).