• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Suggestion] Weapon hand

W

Wolfways

Isn't it about time we could turn around without swapping our weapons to the other hand?

N

Ni-

I remember seeing that talked about.

I believe that they do the hand switching thing to save on character graphical animaltions. Characters can face 8 directions. They originally made it so that 3 of the 8 are mirrors of 3 others. Doing so allows for alot less graphical/textural data.

I believe it was brought up for the KR or SA client, but the Devs decided against 8 different graphic sets and went with 5 with 3 mirrored. I can't remember if they stated a spcific reason or not. It might have been for performance reasons.

W

Wolfways

With the amount of data from houses and their contents being thrown at us when running around i can't see a few extra character animations making much difference. But then i'm not a coder.

C

Cloak&Dagger

While I fully agree with you, It is a bit of a complication, well actually it should not be due to the fact that all the character models are new....for the 2d client it would be nearly impossible, but for the new client I see no reason why they cant do this...I am fairly sure all they are doing is loading a different sprite based on direction, so it should be easy to just redraw the sprit with the weapon in the other hand. I do not work for them...but that is how I would do it.

W

Wolfways

It's a minor point i guess, but minor points build up.

I just wish UO could look as good as even old-ish games like Mark of Chaos :p

C

Cloak&Dagger

I am with you on this point...I often turn just to make fun of how my char switches hands mid swing while pvping.

Edit: Yes I will risk death for a good laugh any day

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know what you mean cloak... "Here let me hold this perfectly good sword in one hand, and oh! I think I will smack you with my shield instead!"

BONK!

C

Cloak&Dagger

I remember seeing that talked about.

I believe that they do the hand switching thing to save on character graphical animaltions. Characters can face 8 directions. They originally made it so that 3 of the 8 are mirrors of 3 others. Doing so allows for alot less graphical/textural data.

I believe it was brought up for the KR or SA client, but the Devs decided against 8 different graphic sets and went with 5 with 3 mirrored. I can't remember if they stated a spcific reason or not. It might have been for performance reasons.
After thinking about this post a bit...I come to think it would be more performance heavy to render 5 directions with 3 mirrors than it would to just render 8 directions....When you render 8 directions the code is simple

west = sprite 1
east = sprite 2

But when you render 5 with 3 mirrors you get

west = sprite 1
east = sprite 1 + calculation

Performing the calculation to mirror sprite 1 would be much more intense than just rendering a new sprite....so I do not think this is why they did this