• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Warrior Challenge (Sep 2014): Slasher of Veils

Duncan Drake

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I tried again, same disastrous results. I don't think this is possible, for me. I seem to have the same setup, same suit, but some of the tactics mentioned I am simply not capable of. I use the old client, so without these "change my entire outfit in .25s" macros, for instance, when he starts to cast the stone rain, it takes me about 5s to swap rings get my shield off (can be a macro) and drink a heal - but by then I am likely dead anyway, given that he will almost certainly have hit me in melee in that 5s too.

Also, Duncan says that he managed to kill him and was never at risk... I am not sure I believe this. He just hit me for a 120 HP combo (that big Armageddon explosion spell for 86, flamestrike for 34). With 150 HP, I am theoretically alive and at 30 hp, but being able to heal quickly enough before he lands another attack is problematic, at best, and so is never letting myself get below 120 HP, given that he basically never hits for less than 25 at a time anyway. Prior to that, he hit me for a 93 damage single attack, and I swear this attack first knocked my off my dragon, and then applied damage, because I was half a screen away from him when it happened.

Also, I found that paying attention to disco was more problem than anything. If you need to run off, running < 15 tiles away is kind of pointless because by the time you get a close wounds off, chances are he's landed another 25-35 damage attack anyway, therefore entering you into a 0 sum game. But then trying to swap jewels, as stated a pain, and redisco him (at best a 50% chance), swap jewels back in, etc. takes quite a lot of time and concentration.

I would *really* love to take the 20 minutes and watch the video of someone successfully doing this, as in my current state, I simply don't think it is possible for me, not without getting super lucky and him never doing one of his combos that is nearly guaranteed death.
With enhanced client you can instantly swap your equipment. Might be slower in 2d client and sure that can cause fast death. When he casts this stonerain you have to be fast and. Be sure to drink the healing not when your are full hp. This caused me some trouble in the first try.

Then did you have parry now in your build. If so you should use evasion as often as possible. And if things get hard run around that 8x8 tile in the middle of my screenshot. Slasher has no line if sight on you so he cant cast spells.

When i said there was no true damger of dying i meant stone rain. When he casted it and i was paralyzed i waited till enough hp was down then used the greater heal pot. And than as soon as i could move i ran around that 8x8 tile and healed woth confidence / close wounds.

Then very important: when you are knocked of your dragon immediately remount. You dont get the dismount debuff so this is possible and essential. You need the -20% dmg reduction for the whole battle. With ec client i always have my mount bar near so i can immediately doubleclick to mount. Just make sure you are not in war mode. You attack your pet instead. I always let slasher attack me so the cursor wont get red.

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
@Pirate Roberts great find. An interesting watch to be sure.
It deos lead to some more questions. I wish I could tell better what all is happening in there.

So... he's using what weapon? His AIs are doing longsword damage, and it looks at the very beginning that he swaps from an axe to a bladed staff?

Also, in some cases, he hits every .25 sec is seems, any idea how he's doing that? Is he countering? But that is a 1 time thing, I thought, and in some cases he seems to do like 4 hits in 1s.

Also, he's in wraith, so he gets not the benefit from swamp armor, but he takes only 60 damage from attacks that were hitting me for 90ish. Thoughts? Even moving from 70 resist to 76, you still take 84% as much damage, and 60 is 50-75% of the 80-90 those big explosions were doing to me.

Pirate Roberts

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you look in the comments section there is a link to his skills and suit/weapon. Read that and share your thoughts

Also check out his others videos, amazing if it's production shard.

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
With ec client i always have my mount bar near so i can immediately doubleclick to mount. Just make sure you are not in war mode. You attack your pet instead. I always let slasher attack me so the cursor wont get red.
In Pinco's UI you can check "block war on pets". Then when you attack your pet you auto switch to piece mode (and mount it).

Klapauc

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A few observations. I did try a gargoyle swords whammy , build is similar to old wraith thrower. Insane damage output with the stone war sword.
But did die nearly every time stone rain comes, even with 120 healing/anat. A swampy or resists buffed to all 75 would probably help with that, or a few damage eaters here and there. Simply no way to heal through that with all 70 resists, the guy in the video seems to have all 75, seems to make a big difference here.
Not counting the odd 90 hp curse/angry fire combo when apple isnt ready to remove curse.
Also , i didnt notice any advantage from having 120 bushido/parry during stone rain. Original plan was to have counter attack and curse weapon up during stone rain, but the new ec does not let me toggle counter attack, dont know if it would have worked before.
On the bright side, the mystic fencer is basically roflstomping him, even with imbuing instead of focus on , albeit it still takes 25-30 minutes. Char isnt built for high damage output, 20 hpr and a few damage eaters have a price.Does die only when i make a mistake or play bad.
Will try to cut down the time a bit, but need to make 1 or 2 studded pieces to replace plate armor.And maybe adjusting some stats to get a bit more mana. That should get me to the point where i can chain ai most of the time.
Biggest advantage of that char is, it doesnt need to run much.

What i honestly dont get is, that mystic fencer has 100 healing, 20 joat anatomy and can heal through the stone rain like it is nothing. The wraith swords guy gets stomped nearly every time even with 120 healing, 120 anat and 50 ep. If the stone rain doesnt kill him, the following attacks will.

Will also try horrific beast form to get 20 hpr instead of wraith form, maybe it helps here.

But i guess, that 5 ssi , 20 hci, 35 di, 4 mana uncursed ring i got while collecting death robes was worth the effort.

Last edited:

Kurik

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just wondering, has anyone tried if stone shoes will release you from his fear attack like they do from Navreys web?

Duncan Drake

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Klapauc
As i already mentioned you can survive the stonerain pretty good with 75 res, a swamp dragon(20% damage red.) cure and greater heal potions. Just make sure to equip a 50 epot ring before drinking. And as soon as the stone rain ends run out of it. Best to the opposite side of the 8x8 tile.

If you cant use a swamp dragon it might get nasty. Maybe enough hpr can compensate this here

@Kurik
Unfortunately not

Klapauc

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Continued experimenting abit.
Using horrific beast form for the 20 hpr did work very well. Had to play a bit defensive and keep distance way to often because no hll on weapon, but it did work. Would probably be very good with hll on weapon to keep the average hitpoints higher.
Char was

120 swords
120 bushido
120 healing
120 anat
120 Tactics
75 parry
40 necro
Demon slayer stone war sword for armor ignores.
No reinforced armor, just all 70 resist.

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wonder for the above temp what would happen if you reduced Anat for 120 parry as anat only adds to damage and not healing. How much would one lose on those AI's?

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
I wonder for the above temp what would happen if you reduced Anat for 120 parry as anat only adds to damage and not healing. How much would one lose on those AI's?
My char without anatomy does ~150 damage per AI or ~135 damage per DS.

Are you sure that Anatomy doesn't add to healing?

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Anat is the check for cure and res but nothing more. For that temp I was thinking of a switch of 120 parry vs 80 anat.

Klapauc

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Anatomy does add to bandage healing, check healing table on stratics. Also, i wanted max damage ai, was the first reason i started fooling around with the stone war sword.
For the 20 hpr aka 2hp/sec, yes its only 20 hp more during stone rain, but after watching replays i noticed i always only got killed by a few hp.
Equip and template are also a bit improvised, im sure if someone wants to have a serious try with that one he could come up with something noticably better. I did only try different variants to see what could work reliable.
The real issue with curse weapon + bandage heal is probably another one. A single weapon hit or ai gets you immediatly to full hp most of the time, so you cant keep a bandage going all the time, because you cannot apply one . So you have to start a bandage when fear comes in.With that char now, you already have a bandage running that kicks in earlier.

About ai damage, average without anat is 165, with 120 anat 201 for that char ( if i could actually stay at 150 str ). Would be better to reduce parry here to get 20 or 30 resist to reduce stat loss from curse a little bit since parry isnt really the issue at slasher.
Only other option would be dropping form and necro , get better suit and run 6x120 plain samurai.

Also that char has the serious disadvantage in that he gets attacked by hellhounds.

And i guess Corwin did meet my stone form fencer there.

Pirate Roberts

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm working on building a new suit with refinements. I've also refined my current suit and am racking my brain to build the current and future suit right now. More to follow.

Duncan Drake

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sure my suit has 75 all resist too. Not very difficult if you can refine 6 armor pieces

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Really? it makes sense with the healing... maybe add some HPR.... maybe time to head over to test and try it out.

Pirate Roberts

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've nearly completed my suit, I've refined up to 73's in all resists, 78 in energy thus far. I went to slasher last night with a 120 swords, bushido, parry, resist, tactics and chivalry template. I did well against him, died twice and went to bed. I think I'll get my uncle to help disco him and see if that works. I've moved some skills around on soulstones so I'll likely try the bardic version everyone seems to do so well with. I know I'm off a month, but there is a learning curve for pirates...

Pirate Roberts

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So what I want to know is, is his stats showing 150 hp including potions? I have 125 str and +25 hpi and all I have is 143 hp. I'm an elf, can you get 150 without pots?

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hmmm.... that's odd, if you have 150 str you should have 150 hp.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
So what I want to know is, is his stats showing 150 hp including potions? I have 125 str and +25 hpi and all I have is 143 hp. I'm an elf, can you get 150 without pots?
You need 150 total strength and 25 HPI to achieve 150 hit points.

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
You can get 10 STR from M&S and 15 from jewels.
125 + 10 + 15 = 150

P.S. With 130 STR you have 140 HP. I believe it is usually enough .... and when you tight a tough bosses you can use potions.

Klapauc

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Potions are a must at slasher. If you dont have resist spells or can run stone form , also 40-50 ep are needed , because otherwise you just drop to much in stats.
For additional 3 str, use purple petals as well. Being close to 150 hp is a must for this fight i believe.
If using a 2 hander, just do fast weapon switch to 1 hander or balanced weapon to use them.
For warrior with a shield, you need to unequip it, drink potion, equip it. Can be done using a ec macro.

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Well, I may be 1.5 years late, but I decided to take a run at soloing this guy. I used my vampiric paladin (no bushido) template.

His resists are really high - like around 70s, so AI seems to be the way to go, unless your DS weapon hits harder than your AI weapon. Since I am a 1h+Sheild swordsman, my broadsword was a better choice than my scimitars. I think if I were to try this again, I might try Double Axe and then use onslaught and DS.

He got me twice, once was surely avoidable had I not been fat-fingering my macros.

Once though, he simply landed a brutal combo. He got me with the nova spell for ~65 damage, which knocked me off my swamp dragon. Then, before I could get back on, he did the stone rain attack. Even swapping to my 50EP suit and quaffing a GHeal didn't help. Maybe if I also quaffed one of those stealable drinks that give you 40 HP I might have been able to survive, but even with that I'm not entirely sure.

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
So, I've done him another 3 times since the prior post. I've managed him once without dying, and it took ~20 minutes.

I've managed to stop fat-fingering my macros, so I've cut those deaths down. He still gets me sometimes when he lands the combo above. Even with 150 HP, and assuming I can get back on my swamp dragon instantly, when he does his big Nova spell it hits for 50, and dismounts me. If he then immediately goes into a Stone Rain, I'm good as dead. I once did manage to survive, but was down to 6HP, and he got me while running off to heal...

I haven't managed to tell yet. Does he give notice when the Nova spell is coming (like the Wizard masters shout "all will burn .." or something) so you have a second or two to run away? I think one of the words of power he says indicate the Nova spell, but I haven't noticed if he says the words ahead of time, or just in the same tick.