• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Warrior Challenge (Sep 2014): Slasher of Veils

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Warriors,

Last month we unveiled the Warrior Challenge. I tested the waters with a weekly system and then quickly realized this was more suited to a monthly event. We began the series with Dreadhorn and the thread is here:

http://stratics.com/community/threads/warrior-challenge-aug-2014-dreadhorn.319567/

For the month of September, our Warrior Challenge is Slasher of Veils (http://www.uoguide.com/Slasher_of_Veils). Slasher is located in the very center of the Stygian Abyss. He's a good challenge for warriors with his freeze attack and dismount special. Most solo success stories come from archers or throwers, however there was a thread a few years ago about on a Stoneform Mystic Dexxer soloing this foe (http://stratics.com/community/threads/mystic-dexxer-solod-slasher.196739/). There was also a Youtube video of a Japanese player using a disco-fencer who soloed Slasher too. However, much has changed regarding suits and weapons with both Shame loot and reforging. You may have a totally innovative template, tactic, or suit/weapon that allows you to best this boss with ease. Let's see what you have to share! Here are the rules:

1) Post recent info and screenshots of your warrior battling the Warrior Challenge foe.

2) Include any info you want on your template, gear, unique tactics employed, etc.

3) Discussion and suggested improvements by other community members are welcomed.

These don't have to be solo events, but please keep this focused on warriors. I look forward to hearing your stories. Also, I anticipate Publish 86 will go live during this month. Please post nice loot pieces you get from Slasher after the publish. Good luck!

-OBSIDIAN-

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
A challenge indeed.

I've managed to do it no deaths with two accounts (one ONLY used for discord and peacemaking masteries) on a sampire. May have used a glitch for it though. A thrower/archer is easier but took longer too. Havent tried that with discord though.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Let me get this right....we go from dread horn....to slasher of veils ??? That is your idea of a gradual transition in difficulty??
Roflmao @Obsidian ...you are evil!

Ok this is gonna leave a mark...but I will give it a go

Duncan Drake

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I had hoped for shimmering effusion. Got some practice with it this weekend. Managed to kill it 3 times in a row now wirhout dying.

But the slasher.... Postings i found so far make me think thats its nearly impossible to kill it as a melee due to his fear attack even with healing.

Still wondering if there is a way to avoid the fear attack

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
It is easy with a ranger char. I have a video 23.5 min by my Melee Archer.

It is doable 2x faster with a melee char:
120 sword/mace/fencing
120 bushido
120 parry
120 tactics
120 anatomy
90 disco
90 music

Probably it would be easy with chivalry instead of bushido (go with a shield). In this case you can heal/cure and remove curse... but I never tried this way (I like evasion too much).

p.s. I could make a video if someone sells me a lot of disco SOAs.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Archers and Throwers are warriors too. This one will be fun. Shimmering will be a future month. If you have foes you want me to consider for future months please send me a PM.

Duncan Drake

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is easy with a ranger char. I have a video 23.5 min by my Melee Archer.

It is doable 2x faster with a melee char:
120 sword/mace/fencing
120 bushido
120 parry
120 tactics
120 anatomy
90 disco
90 music

Probably it would be easy with chivalry instead of bushido (go with a shield). In this case you can heal/cure and remove curse... but I never tried this way (I like evasion too much).

p.s. I could make a video if someone sells me a lot of disco SOAs.

Couple of questions here.

1st how to survive fear as a melee char?
2nd Swapping bushido with chivalry would result in increase mana cost for special moves. Are you sure here?
3rd is disco really needed here? And where to get all those skill points? Your template above has 780 skill points. And i guess you want to bring music and disco up to 120 with jewelry or am i missing sth?

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
With 120/120 you usually loose per fear/rain combo about 100 hp (providing you drink a GH potion). When it disco'ed it very rare uses this combo. Just use Evasion when your hp drops under 100 (usually only after its dismounting spell).

I haven't any problems with mana... except when I was mana-drained.

I had two jewels set:
1. 30 music, 30 disco, 50 EP (used it to disco and to drink potions)
2. 20 SSI, 60 skills, and other mods
I switched to the second set after applying disco.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Isn't the a talisman with disco and music on it....or am I thing music and provoke?

Duncan Drake

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its music and provoke. But with it 85 music would be enough. And there is the songwoven mantle with +10 music on it. Unfortunately its elves only and my char is not an elf.

And mark of travesty with +10

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Theoretically you can have:
shame ring 20 music + 20 disco
shame brac 20 music + 20 disco
mark of travesty 10 music + 10 disco
exceptional pole 15 disco
song woven mantle 10 music
minstrel talisman 5 music
Total: 65 music + 65 disco

Duncan Drake

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
nice thx a lot for the info. didnt remember the exceptional pole. crafted a couple with a heartwood runic sa and got a +14 disco one. very nice

Duncan Drake

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok i tried Slasher and killed it. Corwins idea worked quite well.

My Template:
Sword 120
Bushido 120
Chivalry 120
Parry 89
Tactics 120
Music 75
Disco 76

With jewelry, mark of travesty and the fishing pole i could bring diso and music up to 120.

For the tactic, I lure slasher to the hellhounds. He always attacks them, so he didnt hit me all the time. I died 2 times in the fight because of falling rocks and the fact that i was poisoned. didnt have cure potions with me.

Here is a picture:

Have you other 10+ disco poles you could sell me?
I didnt craft more so far. but ill se what I can do, i have some heartwood saw charges left

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I've heard that as well but never noticed a difference either. Better off kiting around that 10x10-ish square in Duncan's picture, especially if you're a ranged character.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Duncan can I ask a question.....like why the heck didn't you honor that ugly mofo before you attacked it??

What am I missing?

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Death cancels honor ... then the slasher is too injured to honor on 2nd try.

Duncan Drake

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Honestly. I wasn´n able to honor slasher because when i first came along he was slightly damaged. dont know why. only little hp. I thought I´d wait till he was full again. But it didnt look like that would happen. so i just decided to start.

Duncan Drake

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok did him again. This time I took along cure pots. When stonerain came i quickly switched to 1h weapon + epot ring. 1st cure if i was poisoned then healing pot. there was never any true danger of dying. he even did stone rain 7 times this try, finally i killed it. I honored him this time but didnt get a drop -.- here is a screenshot

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Death cancels honor ... then the slasher is too injured to honor on 2nd try.
Obviously you dont die much Tuan... :) take it from someone with 120 death-skill ...death doesnt cancel honor on anything I have killed. You just get a msg saying, you dont need to honor this creature again.

Duncan...maybe the slasher buffed itself the first time with a bless and it had the same effect as be a little hurt???

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Obviously you dont die much Tuan... :) take it from someone with 120 death-skill ...death doesnt cancel honor on anything I have killed. You just get a msg saying, you dont need to honor this creature again.

Duncan...maybe the slasher buffed itself the first time with a bless and it had the same effect as be a little hurt???
I die quite often, but since I generally walk around @0 bush skill I don't pay too much attention to honoring things.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yep, honor stays after death. Experienced it plenty of times.

Duncan Drake

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good question. Forgot to start my stopwatch. From my feeling sth between 15 and 20 minutes. When i do him the 3rd time ill stop the time.

hirikawa

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I managed to get him on pure Paladin setup (no bushi, no necro, but healing and HLL weapon) but it took more than 1,5h. Tactics was hit twice AI doing 140-190dmg then run, wait a 2 sec and go hit again. In this way i wasn't frozen by spell there and didn't die. I think that's a good result for my original and not often used setup anymore (it's not best for solo, but very neutral can handle a lot of things). Will post details of my setup on new topic soon on forum.

btw. i had some problems with lags because i live in EU and play on Atlantic - that also made my time get so long.

Duncan Drake

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ok 3rd kill, no deaths but 10 stone rain. stopped the time. needed 17 min. 18 sec.

Last edited:

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
You have mentioned a few times falling rocks or stone rain, and in particular that the combination of this and being poisoned cost you deaths. Can you elaborate on what this stone rain is?

Duncan Drake

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Slasher sometimes paralizes you and casts stone rain. It does damage over time and you cant move or cast spells for about 10 seks. Healing works so do healing pots. But when you are poisoned healing pots dont work. That was my fault in the first try. But the other trys i had greater cure pots. You can use them and soon after that use a greater heal pot. Then the chance of surviving this attack is quite good.

Klapauc

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So, first attempt using a mystic fencer. Time was around 55 minutes, based on potion use, including one deathrobe from an unlucky combo.
Will make a few more attempts , trying to figure out which weapon to use . Used a leafblade , will also try a balanced spear . Also need more practice , hard to get spells off sometimes.

Update, second attempt. 42 minutes according to video. Used a spear this time and did fight him in the hellhound area. Much better this time, as he gets distracted by hellhounds now and then.

Last edited:

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Well, I just gave this a try... it did not go well. Here's the template I used.
120 swords
120 tact
100 necro
90 resist
90 chiv
90 music
90 disco

With jewelry I'm up to 120 music and disco, or 120 chiv.

It started out well, get in there, and slasher is occupied by the dogs, so I disco him, chug pots, swap jewelry, EoO and set in.

It was all going pretty well. Then he did the stone rain thing, and even though I popped my shield off and chugged a pot, I still died.

Made a few runs at him subsequently, and just never really got an traction. PLus when I did die, it took me forever to go get rezzed, and get my swamp dragon rezzed, so I felt like he was healing up quite a bit while I was out and about.

I also noticed that he has some fire attack that hits me for 80 damage. Maybe I need all 75s on my suit for better survival or something.

I notice that others don't have resist in their templates, so maybe I can try it with 0 resist and 100 parry, or 0 resist and 120 anat (with jewelry).

Klapauc

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What duncan says. Or drop necro and resist and get healing and anatomy, put some life leech on weapon.
Also slasher used to curse you and drop all your elemental resists by 10. That would explain that 80hp firebreath, usually its 60. I just didnt noticed it since i was using stoneform and its been a good while since i have killed him on other templates.

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Yesterday I killed it by my new melee archer on Drachenfels (cheap suit). I haven't Demon slayer composite bow so I used the one without slayer. I used STR/DEX potions (9 of each) but I hadn't Healing/Cure/Refresh potions. It took about 27 minutes.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Yesterday I killed it by my new melee archer on Drachenfels (cheap suit). I haven't Demon slayer composite bow so I used the one without slayer. I used STR/DEX potions (9 of each) but I hadn't Healing/Cure/Refresh potions. It took about 27 minutes.
Can you post your template, pics of the suit and weapon? It may give ideas to those still working in this boss. I agree he is far easier with a ranged char than a melee char, but both are possible.

Pirate Roberts

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've tried him several times on my thrower. I guess I don't have my template configured correctly, or I'm rusty. Usually takes me 45 minutes and several death robes. Maybe I need to wake my uncle up and get his pure bard on to cast spell mastery and disco...

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Why bother with the melee piece here? I mean, when doing slasher, you want the puppies distracting him, so wouldn't resist or chiv be more helpful in this specific instance than the 110 mace?

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
First of all, I haven't solestones...
90 mace is useful for loss reduction
may be resisting spells would be more useful but I'm not sure

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
I tried again, same disastrous results. I don't think this is possible, for me. I seem to have the same setup, same suit, but some of the tactics mentioned I am simply not capable of. I use the old client, so without these "change my entire outfit in .25s" macros, for instance, when he starts to cast the stone rain, it takes me about 5s to swap rings get my shield off (can be a macro) and drink a heal - but by then I am likely dead anyway, given that he will almost certainly have hit me in melee in that 5s too.

Also, Duncan says that he managed to kill him and was never at risk... I am not sure I believe this. He just hit me for a 120 HP combo (that big Armageddon explosion spell for 86, flamestrike for 34). With 150 HP, I am theoretically alive and at 30 hp, but being able to heal quickly enough before he lands another attack is problematic, at best, and so is never letting myself get below 120 HP, given that he basically never hits for less than 25 at a time anyway. Prior to that, he hit me for a 93 damage single attack, and I swear this attack first knocked my off my dragon, and then applied damage, because I was half a screen away from him when it happened.

Also, I found that paying attention to disco was more problem than anything. If you need to run off, running < 15 tiles away is kind of pointless because by the time you get a close wounds off, chances are he's landed another 25-35 damage attack anyway, therefore entering you into a 0 sum game. But then trying to swap jewels, as stated a pain, and redisco him (at best a 50% chance), swap jewels back in, etc. takes quite a lot of time and concentration.

I would *really* love to take the 20 minutes and watch the video of someone successfully doing this, as in my current state, I simply don't think it is possible for me, not without getting super lucky and him never doing one of his combos that is nearly guaranteed death.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tuan.... Thanks for sharing...you did better then I would have....I would want to honor it...then send in 2 GDs to tank before attacking....

Perhaps I need to rename my sampire to ralos the coward :)

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
I'm going to swap the disco/music combo for Mystic/Focus and give it a try in stone form. Lets see how 80 resist does.