• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Warning !!!!!

• Thread starter imported_lady michelle
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
I

imported_lady michelle

A guy has been going around claiming he is a member in others guilds by saying he is so, amd so in those guilds, and asking if he can have something of theirs, and saying he will give it back in a few hours. the character he uses isn't guilded. just make sure if your approached by someone who says they are so and so in your guild tell them to get on that character, he claims to be, and have his tag on,
Im posting this here to incase this guy is doing this on other shards besides GLs

I

imported_lady michelle

A guy has been going around claiming he is a member in others guilds by saying he is so, amd so in those guilds, and asking if he can have something of theirs, and saying he will give it back in a few hours. the character he uses isn't guilded. just make sure if your approached by someone who says they are so and so in your guild tell them to get on that character, he claims to be, and have his tag on,
Im posting this here to incase this guy is doing this on other shards besides GLs

G

hehe aye the little bright light partied me at the event telling me he was a guildie of nime on his unguilded crafter.

Well he didnt realize that i am the GM of the guild wich is rather small and the chars are mine and hubbys
. So he ended up telling me a name of a guilded Char , wich was my Hubbys RL character. Hubby and I looked at each other and had a good laugh.
But i went along with it to see what he wanted, acted a bit blond.

He told me how he had this really great way to make the guild lots of gold, and as soon as he started talking i paged on him with the harasment feature targeted so they knew wich player and they would have the journal.

The big scoop the scammer gave me was that there was a hidden feature or questlike thing inside the event where you could use the threads of fate to "dupe" crimson aprons.
He also told me he had a deal with a famous rare dealer/collector/merchant going who would buy them all up. Well i know his "Buisness Partner" too and knew better the dealer wouldnt be involved in that , but notified him, at least to make sure he is aware that he is beeing used for this scam.

well after i was in party with him for a bit and he had told me of all his big plans on making money for my guild and i had it all on journal for the GM.

I told him i thought his ideas are all great and all but i just had 1 little problem with the whole thing.
And that was that the guy he was retending to be was my RL hubby LOL.
As soon as i said that he dissobanded party and dissapeared for a short while , just to be back later and try it on others.

So please be careful, if your in a big guild and dont know all the members , tell him to bring the guilded char if your not sure.

Anyways i wonder if GMs will do anything since i had to page 2 times and send in a complaint since i only got a canned message that they cant peplace lost items....

G

hehe aye the little bright light partied me at the event telling me he was a guildie of nime on his unguilded crafter.

Well he didnt realize that i am the GM of the guild wich is rather small and the chars are mine and hubbys
. So he ended up telling me a name of a guilded Char , wich was my Hubbys RL character. Hubby and I looked at each other and had a good laugh.
But i went along with it to see what he wanted, acted a bit blond.

He told me how he had this really great way to make the guild lots of gold, and as soon as he started talking i paged on him with the harasment feature targeted so they knew wich player and they would have the journal.

The big scoop the scammer gave me was that there was a hidden feature or questlike thing inside the event where you could use the threads of fate to "dupe" crimson aprons.
He also told me he had a deal with a famous rare dealer/collector/merchant going who would buy them all up. Well i know his "Buisness Partner" too and knew better the dealer wouldnt be involved in that , but notified him, at least to make sure he is aware that he is beeing used for this scam.

well after i was in party with him for a bit and he had told me of all his big plans on making money for my guild and i had it all on journal for the GM.

I told him i thought his ideas are all great and all but i just had 1 little problem with the whole thing.
And that was that the guy he was retending to be was my RL hubby LOL.
As soon as i said that he dissobanded party and dissapeared for a short while , just to be back later and try it on others.

So please be careful, if your in a big guild and dont know all the members , tell him to bring the guilded char if your not sure.

Anyways i wonder if GMs will do anything since i had to page 2 times and send in a complaint since i only got a canned message that they cant peplace lost items....

U

uo addict

I had a guy once pretending to be a guild member who was in fact one of my other characters lol. This is an ancient scam.

U

uo addict

I had a guy once pretending to be a guild member who was in fact one of my other characters lol. This is an ancient scam.

Redxpanda

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Unfortunately, the scammers/griefers have heard that the vets have come back since they left and they decided to come back and chase us away again. I'm glad my guild uses ICQ faithfully...Don't have to worry about falling for this one.

Redxpanda

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Unfortunately, the scammers/griefers have heard that the vets have come back since they left and they decided to come back and chase us away again. I'm glad my guild uses ICQ faithfully...Don't have to worry about falling for this one.

C

Connor_Graham

"asking if he can have something of theirs, and saying he will give it back in a few hours."

This would have been the first and only clue I'd need to know the guy was full of it.

Never give anything to anyone in game without expecting to never get it back. If and when you do, be pleasantly surprised, and know that you've made a new UO friend.

C

Connor_Graham

"asking if he can have something of theirs, and saying he will give it back in a few hours."

This would have been the first and only clue I'd need to know the guy was full of it.

Never give anything to anyone in game without expecting to never get it back. If and when you do, be pleasantly surprised, and know that you've made a new UO friend.

I

imported_ParadoxUO

You should be friendly and giving... re-add him to the guild so he can acess the guild chests with all the gear he needs to start playing again... have a few guildmates ready... welcome him back to uo. OooOoOOoo

Have some of the guildmates fight among themselves... with one or two casualties... so it was a guild sparing night.

PS: remove him from the guild once the welcoming party is done.

I

imported_ParadoxUO

You should be friendly and giving... re-add him to the guild so he can acess the guild chests with all the gear he needs to start playing again... have a few guildmates ready... welcome him back to uo. OooOoOOoo

Have some of the guildmates fight among themselves... with one or two casualties... so it was a guild sparing night.

PS: remove him from the guild once the welcoming party is done.

I

imported_lady michelle

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ] So true but when they target our new players not kewl. We need all the new players we can get in this game. Scamming should of never been made legal.

I

imported_Bluebottle

<blockquote><hr>

It's happened on Atlantic too, just in the last week.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here but since I was clearing out junk from my bank-box he seemed like a good cause to drop it all on rather than leave it on the ground

W

Wolfthistle

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

It's happened on Atlantic too, just in the last week.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here but since I was clearing out junk from my bank-box he seemed like a good cause to drop it all on rather than leave it on the ground

[/ QUOTE ]

*Laughs REALLY REALLY hard*

Thanks, I can go to bed with a smile on my face! I'll remember that for if there is ever a next time!

G

Funny thing is, a guy on Europa claimed that him and some others in the guild (of which theres really only me active) found a way to make money because BROKERS PAY 250 MIL FOR A CRIMSON WITH +15 DEX all you need to apparently do is utilise the rift and some threads of whatever with a crimson cinture.

HMM.

Oh also this guy said "Hey man its me &lt;charname&gt;" when 1.) this guy hadnt been on for days and 2.) I think he was in bed at the time. I actually didnt even know who he was claiming to be at first.. he even spelt my friend's name wrong!

What an amateur. Still, best time I got done over was years ago by some guy who just walked into my house one day when my friend was there and, when my friend said "Trev?" the guy goes "Yeah". What a dumb friend. House was totally looted - by my friend innocently thinking it was me - and when it was over the guy apparently said "We looted that Trev pretty good huh?"

Guess its just common sense thats needed really and that you shouldn't ever trust anyone in-game...

G

i had a guy tell me he was one of my other characters. I was playing along for a while.. it was rather funny.

H

Hooli Gan

Feel sorry for the guy.He's obviously not that bright.I mean if he's after the threads of fate/life woudlnt it just be less of a headache to make a noob stealthier and just go sneak the place like the rest of us? Just seems like a lot of uneeded drama to get ahold of something so easy to get.
Its not the scamming part that bothers me about this as much as wtf kinda moron thought it up in the first place?

Its kinda like going up to somebody then asking "what time is it?" then when they tell you 6pm you feel like you got the best of them because they told you.
=pointless

G

One of my former students got back at a scammer so awesome once I have to share.

My friend was incredibly mad at this guy who scammed him and went to great lengths to get even. He watched this guy for a week or whatever and noticed that the scammer had a friend he would always bank sit with and talk endlessly. He also noticed that they would ask to borrow each others items occasionally. So, my friend created a brand new char and named the char identical to the scammers friend. He dressed the char in clothing identical to the scammers friend and walked up to the scammer at the bank and started a conversation. After some B.S. time my friend asked the scammer to borrow something valuable, I can't remember what it was, which the scammer gave to him. Then told him that he was not getting it back and recalled out.

I asked my friend why he didn't tell the scammer who he was and he said because the scammer would think it really was his friend and he would get in an argument with his friend, which would keep the revenge going.

I thought this was brilliant.

Yenji Yasagari

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My first day on Legends I met a REALLY friendly tamer who gave me a mil and 20k barbed and horned leather to start out my tailor. I knew this guy would be my friend as long as i was on legends. Around 6 months later, when I had some characters completed/xferred to legends, I logged on to see that this friend had just gotten killed and dry looted by a new recruit in the guild who had now quit. I told my friend I'd get revenge on him. I then quit UO for 3 months. When I came back, I had long forgotten the scammers name until i saw it once more. I asked him if he owned a house.

*yeah, and its right at fel yew gate, only a screen away.*
(I'll give you 25m for it)
*OMFG THATS A DEAL*
(May I see it first?)
*YES YES OMFGZ0rz!*
[Both Enter House]
(Yup, I'll take it, you clear it while I grab checks)
*OK DUDE, I'LL BE QUICK TOO!*
(Kal Ort Por *hiding macro*)
*I wish to release this*
("grabs")
*Wtf*
*I wish to release this*
("grabs")
(reveals himself)
(Thats for *name is changed to protect innocent* scamming McINTEL)
Kal Ort Por.

Chests had around 10 set armor pieces and other various loot of equal worth. When I gave the items to McINTEL, I knew he had a smile on his face, lol.

I

imported_lady michelle

<blockquote><hr>

my reply to the same tactic last december

[/ QUOTE ] Ahh yes I remember that. I came up with a solution, and hope other guilds will follow it
A guildmate is not allowed to ask you for something without having something to hand over to you with the same value or more for what they are asking for. This way if a unguilded player approaches a guildmate. claims he is a guildmate and ask for something. the guildmate can say you know the rules you have to have something of the same value or more to hand over to me.