• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Warning : Do Not Resize Your Home

ONETWOTHREE

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
WARNING : DO NOT RESIZE YOUR HOME
Just saw somebody just lose their Luna House after trying to resize their home and never could replace it, the 1hr elapsed, GM's NEVER came

DONT LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU

Shard was Chesapeake

A

Azureal

Ugh. Man that would suck. I feel sick just hearing about it. Losing a house in Luna would be painful.

Has someone else popped a house on the plot?

ONETWOTHREE

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No house yet, just a little 7x7 there, hope EA or GMs do come and fixe this and get her her house back, nobody should lsoe out like this due to publish bugs

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But we all know what EA's answer is going to be...

Nothing like using the players as QA devices.

R

rfrost

I am so glad that after testing, I did not touch my house.

It should be more than an hour and there should be a way to get the original house back without having to place as in, "I wish to resize my house" to remove it and if you can't get a plot down, "I wish to restore my house" and it's back. That way you don't lose the space if there's some issue with the terrain that won't let you place new.

L

Loquacious Wrath

No house yet, just a little 7x7 there, hope EA or GMs do come and fixe this and get her her house back, nobody should lsoe out like this due to publish bugs
I do not understand your english here. Isn't a 7x7, though small, still considered a house? Could you please provide more information? What exactly is the bug? Is she trying to place the exact same foundation as before? Thanks.

W

wrekognize

I feel sorry for the person who lost their home. But it would not be right to take away the house from the person who placed. They should give the burning spot at the North side of town to the person who lost out if it truly was a bug. How do we know they did not accidently drop the house instead of resize it?

R

rfrost

I wish we could hear the details. The first time I tried it on test, after dropping the house with the resize command, when I tried to place, I got an error that I had to wait either 7 days or 7 hours, I don't recall which.

I got around it by placing small classic house in the spot which was exactly the same house I had resized - it replaced the house instantly without the placing yes/no gump - the behavior was so different than the description in the release notes that I ran away screaming from resizing.

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yikes well the 15 minutes allowed for placing is a mess, at least to me.

I cannot IMAGINE that I would be able to place in the alloted hour with the timer going too.

These changes were supposed to help players and mess with cheaters? Yes?

I sure do not see how. It is like some dev went "omg let us do this" without thinking it through. I feel bad for the lady. I really do. She believed honest players had a break.

Whomever okayed this house plan should have the "manners" to please explain why. Why is there always a problem that hurts honest players, why???? :(

M

Mankind

Blame Origin (shard), aren't they supposed to have tested this first?

T

The Home Guild

i can assure you it is working correctly.
I myself own a luna city plot in atlantic shard and tested my plot i just bought. i was able to resize and plot no problems.
Now,since we have no details all i can assume is she was clicking so much she got a cool down timer.She had to wait for her housing tool to unlock to test placment during thattime.. timer of housing elapsed and she lost her home. I'm only assuming since we didn't hear from her the owner.

R

rfrost

Sadly, I can assure you that I got an unexpected error so what it's telling me is that there is something that was different with what I did on test than what you did with your Luna Plot.

Because it works for one person one time does not mean it's working correctly across the board for everyone, there are too many variables.

F

Fayled Dhreams

Sadly, I can assure you that I got an unexpected error so what it's telling me is that there is something that was different with what I did on test than what you did with your Luna Plot.

Because it works for one person one time does not mean it's working correctly across the board for everyone, there are too many variables.
Well ... did you bug report it ? I remember a mention of something here ... about a similar occurance ...

but NOT any .... "and I reported" ..
posting "here" IS NOT THE SAME ...

inspite of the crew that "can't be bothered" and "ain't my job" and "I ain't paid" yadda yadda ...
(posters HERE ... btw :cool:)

The opportunity to test on test, and the second stage on Origin ... MUST rely on actually GETTING reports
and on that we only have "assurances" and "said so's" ... from both sides ...
we see neither the form of the report ... nor the collection manner ... nor "the reveiw"

they get them, but don't read them !! so why bother ?

because until I see "FD reports 11-06-06 problem "A" with "gidgit b" test shard coord xxx by yyy"
I don't know that they got it .... I don't know if they read it ... or understood it
Until I see "Attached note re: FD report .... lolwut?"
THEN I might comment ...

So,

... did you bug report it ?
juuuuust asking

A

Azureal

I don't know that they got it .... I don't know if they read it ... or understood it
THEN I might comment ...

So,

juuuuust asking
...lolwut?

S

Sheridan

I wish we could hear the details. The first time I tried it on test, after dropping the house with the resize command, when I tried to place, I got an error that I had to wait either 7 days or 7 hours, I don't recall which.
You probably got the "wait a week" message because you had just placed the house on test. After placing a home, you need to wait a week before placing another or, in your case, resizing it. According to the patch notes:

Saying "I wish to resize my house" while standing under the house sign demolishes your house as though you'd used that option from the house sign
  • NOTE: This is an actual "demolish"

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is no warning saying if you demolish the house you won't be able to replace. It is just a giant wall of text. If you can't replace the house it should tell you specifically "Hey if you demolish this you can't replace it!" Why would they change it so people will end up losing their homes?

Lady Aalia

Atlantic's Finest
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I really wish you had the option when you try to replace your house to get a box with the choice

1 place new plot
2 Replace old plot

at least while the Area timer is active

R

RichardOCE

God, it seems so simple to develop such a system, and yet this one just sounds overly complicated. Ima try my hand at some BB code to explain what I mean.

You stand under the house sign, and select Resize from the owner gump.

You get spotted onto your current house plot. Around the outside of your plot is a green and/or red border. A full side of green running the length of any side on your current plot means the house can be resized to that area. Any part highlighted in red means you cant. If the code was smart enough, it could even list the sizes you CAN select, and you click the one you want. 10+ years of MMO development, and this is the best we get?

God, its not rocket science.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Ok, so hopefully this shows a 12 x 13. The maximum we can go to, based on what the gump would show us is 14 x 17, or 16 x 15. The picture didnt come out square, but you get the idea, I hope.

Olahorand

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is exactly, how I would have expected a resize option.
Not that crook we get offered now.
*Salute*
Olahorand

Beerman72

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i can assure you it is working correctly.
I myself own a luna city plot in atlantic shard and tested my plot i just bought. i was able to resize and plot no problems.
Now,since we have no details all i can assume is she was clicking so much she got a cool down timer.She had to wait for her housing tool to unlock to test placment during thattime.. timer of housing elapsed and she lost her home. I'm only assuming since we didn't hear from her the owner.
A cooldown timer does initiate if you click too much, or too quick. Like you tho I can say the housing sizing is working to some degree, though not bug free as one would expect. (housing was pushed back off previous pub mind you)

Olahorand

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The cool down timer should be disabled at all for resizing, the demolition timer (or instant placement of a plot, if the account currently owns no house) as well.
Also the tool should give a countdown warning message in the system message area in bold red, if the last 10 tries are going on. As it currently is, the tool suddenly stops working.
This are just minimum requirements to fix the most ugly parts of placement changes in my eyes.
I bet, the developer who made these features, never placed a house of ideal size in a narrow or complicated spot himself.
*Salute*
Olahorand

H

Hanna

Yikes well the 15 minutes allowed for placing is a mess, at least to me.

I cannot IMAGINE that I would be able to place in the alloted hour with the timer going too.

These changes were supposed to help players and mess with cheaters? Yes?

I sure do not see how. It is like some dev went "omg let us do this" without thinking it through. I feel bad for the lady. I really do. She believed honest players had a break.

Whomever okayed this house plan should have the "manners" to please explain why. Why is there always a problem that hurts honest players, why???? :(
The plan was and is great, the execution is what sucked.

S

SilentFoxXy

Just to stress, there is a COOLDOWN if you use the house place tool 'Too many times'

It is very very airy fairy, You get the message *Beep, you have used the tool etc etc....try later*
The first time it happens, It seems to be a short 5 min cooldown, the 2nd time it goes to one hour.

You come to do it live, you resize or demolish to change your house,* ' Beep housing may not be placed, there may be an obstruction etc etc '*

So, you try a smaller plot, 3 floor , * ' Beep housing may not be placed, there may be an obstruction etc etc '* So, you try a 2 floor, small one 7x7 ,that works. Try smallest 3 floor. * ' Beep housing may not be placed, there may be an obstruction etc etc '*

So, because there are houses nearby, the system prevents you from building a 3 story building but I did have a 3 story before I tried....
Ill just try and get the same size but 2 floors instead- *Beep, you have used the tool etc etc....try later*
5 mins cursing, you then try the bigger footprint, beep, no, so you down size 1 step, beep no.- Try 2, try 3,
*Beep, you have used the tool etc etc....try later*

60 mins later.......a 13 x9 2 floor fits, but the 3 floors you did have- wont.....And someoone has grabbed the spot whilst you wait for 'CoolDown'

Beerman72

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The cool down timer should be disabled at all for resizing, the demolition timer (or instant placement of a plot, if the account currently owns no house) as well.
Also the tool should give a countdown warning message in the system message area in bold red, if the last 10 tries are going on. As it currently is, the tool suddenly stops working.
This are just minimum requirements to fix the most ugly parts of placement changes in my eyes.
I bet, the developer who made these features, never placed a house of ideal size in a narrow or complicated spot himself.
*Salute*
Olahorand
we can also thank our friends who so vigorously tested these changes on teh Origin shard! CHEERS! :gee::stir::popcorn:

S

Sneaky

You probably got the "wait a week" message because you had just placed the house on test. After placing a home, you need to wait a week before placing another or, in your case, resizing it. According to the patch notes:
This is correct, except for the bit about Test. Placing a house on a test center does NOT effect housing on a production shard, or SP/Mug. For these purposes, Origin is considered a production shard.

Demonous

Rares Fest Host | Ches Jul 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i was there trying to place too but someone beat me to it cause i stopped trying after a while figuring it had a lot of time to go and didn't wanna use up all the tries on the tool, many of the people were not too fond of the guild who owned the house in the first place so they were laughing

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
WARNING : DO NOT RESIZE YOUR HOME
Just saw somebody just lose their Luna House after trying to resize their home and never could replace it, the 1hr elapsed, GM's NEVER came

DONT LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU

Shard was Chesapeake

...la

Sir_Bolo

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Question: did the owner check if the house was "improperly placed" before trying to resize it?
There's no guarantee that you might be able to place a new house if the old one was improperly placed. This almost certainly applies to resizing as well...

A

Adder_Atl

Just wondering, was this the original placer of the house?

Not just a charecter on the account but maybe the game thinks, only the original owner can resize.

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Question: did the owner check if the house was "improperly placed" before trying to resize it?
There's no guarantee that you might be able to place a new house if the old one was improperly placed. This almost certainly applies to resizing as well...
Not to put too fine a point on it, but there's no guarantee that your house will replace even if it was PROPERLY placed.

It seems that on strange occasion, the housing rules change. Sometimes stuff you were able to place over before then becomes unplacable.

And there are areas where they really should go through and fix some of the ground, because way back when, because it looked cool (and because housing wasn't even in the game yet), someone used part of a "road" tile in the middle of a forest, and since that tile is considered "road," you can't place on or over it.

*shrugs*

It sounds like they borked this system up a bit. I'm not going to pretend to be surprised.

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To The Home Guild...

You have been helpful to me on the boards so please know I mean no rudeness here. Your name itself implies (to me) that you are a house person, you have great placing experience.

I have problems placing a 7 by 7 in an open field, much less with stuff around and factor in the rest of the mess. I too would lose my spot. I even went to test and practiced only to face the timer. Which it seems give you shorter and shorter try times.

I just do not see how anyone will be safe trying to resize in Luna or any place other players think is good. The timer should NOT be on for resize. Nope nope and nope! One hour as well?? Who thinks that is is enough? Well besides you.

R

rfrost

Well ... did you bug report it ? I remember a mention of something here ... about a similar occurance ...

but NOT any .... "and I reported" ..
posting "here" IS NOT THE SAME ...

inspite of the crew that "can't be bothered" and "ain't my job" and "I ain't paid" yadda yadda ...
(posters HERE ... btw :cool:)

The opportunity to test on test, and the second stage on Origin ... MUST rely on actually GETTING reports
and on that we only have "assurances" and "said so's" ... from both sides ...
we see neither the form of the report ... nor the collection manner ... nor "the reveiw"

they get them, but don't read them !! so why bother ?

because until I see "FD reports 11-06-06 problem "A" with "gidgit b" test shard coord xxx by yyy"
THEN I might comment ...

So,

juuuuust asking
I did. Step back from your soapbox. Slowly now... I wouldn't want you to hurt yourself.

ColterDC

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The moment I read the patch notes about changing your plot size I thought "Oh No".

There are so many problems with the housing server I can only imagine how many people are going to lose a house over this "feature".

I personally will not be trying this option any time soon.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Just to stress, there is a COOLDOWN if you use the house place tool 'Too many times'

It is very very airy fairy, You get the message *Beep, you have used the tool etc etc....try later*
The first time it happens, It seems to be a short 5 min cooldown, the 2nd time it goes to one hour.

You come to do it live, you resize or demolish to change your house,* ' Beep housing may not be placed, there may be an obstruction etc etc '*

So, you try a smaller plot, 3 floor , * ' Beep housing may not be placed, there may be an obstruction etc etc '* So, you try a 2 floor, small one 7x7 ,that works. Try smallest 3 floor. * ' Beep housing may not be placed, there may be an obstruction etc etc '*

So, because there are houses nearby, the system prevents you from building a 3 story building but I did have a 3 story before I tried....
Ill just try and get the same size but 2 floors instead- *Beep, you have used the tool etc etc....try later*
5 mins cursing, you then try the bigger footprint, beep, no, so you down size 1 step, beep no.- Try 2, try 3,
*Beep, you have used the tool etc etc....try later*

60 mins later.......a 13 x9 2 floor fits, but the 3 floors you did have- wont.....And someoone has grabbed the spot whilst you wait for 'CoolDown'
This Scenerio yes can happen...unfortunatly and is the most calm, thought out explination so far here, thank you for that.

I personally don't have a million *throw-away* houses on Origin to test with but I did have one in makato an 18x18 that I tested it with.

The house was empty, I went and locked down a bunch of stuff in it, did the whole I wish to resize my house dealy bob, house falls, all the stuff falls and is freely lootable but noone else can place. I placed a smaller plot..was fine...resized that one to a bigger one, fine...went back to the 18x18 no problems and left it. that's as in depth as I personally could get testing this on Origin and it worked just fine for me.

J

Joyous2K

Devs, hire a couple of interns and have them play the game. That way, you will be testing new things as the game is played. Give them a checklist of things to do, have them go on to Test, and test the things.

There is something being missed between development of a new thing and then implementing the new thing.

R

rfrost

It looks like we need the cool-down timer off, all the other timers off for that matter and a way to revert back to the original house should something unpleasant happen.

The rules about terrain and placement have changed a great deal and the proper / improper house descriptions have always been klugey. Remember the properly placed small on the tower roof, anyone? There must be a way to just back out gracefully if the resize is a mess.

This was released to be a safe way for a homeowner to change their plot size. It should not be so dangerous - if it's meant to be safe, then make it really safe.

The sad thing is that the average QA guy in a game company makes about 10 bucks an hour. I have worked in QA for a very long time and gaming QA is not even close to real QA. For ages, the "powers that be" have thought that because it's a game, they can get anyone to test it but, these people have no training and no methodology. Most real QA people will not work for a game company because they pay so very little - they have a few team leads that have a clue and the rest are, well, whatever. Now I don't know for sure that EA does it that way but if they don't they'd be the first I'm aware of. It's very sad.

T

timbeOFbaja

Disabling the cooldown timer is not a good idea. I can see scripters being all over that by resizing some 7x7 in the desert, getting the cooldown exemption, then scripting some nice sized IDOC.

Nope, the best solution is what I originally said. I thought it was crazy that there was no moving crate. If there was, you could quite easily revert in case the resize doesn't work well. A cancel function for something like this is absolutly requisite.

R

rfrost

Disabling the cooldown timer is not a good idea. I can see scripters being all over that by resizing some 7x7 in the desert, getting the cooldown exemption, then scripting some nice sized IDOC.
QUOTE]

Yes, it would only work if the cooldown timer is only removed for that owner on that one plot. Otherwise it would be a nightmare, as you say. But, they SHOULD disable the timers for that owner and that plot only if they can.

T

The Home Guild

I very much agree..The Cool down process shouldn't be for the home owners.We are resizing our plots to enlarge and if we fail and get a cool down.. Now,we must wait till aval.Makes no sense. Cool down feature was andis a great option for not alllowing people to mass click tool and gain property...however home owners shouldn't have to have that option.

T

The Home Guild

To The Home Guild...

You have been helpful to me on the boards so please know I mean no rudeness here. Your name itself implies (to me) that you are a house person, you have great placing experience.

I have problems placing a 7 by 7 in an open field, much less with stuff around and factor in the rest of the mess. I too would lose my spot. I even went to test and practiced only to face the timer. Which it seems give you shorter and shorter try times.

I just do not see how anyone will be safe trying to resize in Luna or any place other players think is good. The timer should NOT be on for resize. Nope nope and nope! One hour as well?? Who thinks that is is enough? Well besides you.
It's quite ,Okay.I think one hour timer to replot is more than enough...i just disagree with the cool down for home owners. I resized my luna 2 more times today and went smoothly[thank god]. I think thye should have foot notes /outline when you click on tool trying to place a plot on your land..if it's impropper outline it red and if it's a good placement area highlight green etc.

S

Sheridan

This is correct, except for the bit about Test. Placing a house on a test center does NOT effect housing on a production shard, or SP/Mug. For these purposes, Origin is considered a production shard.
As you can see from that person's particular post that I quoted, he was on test and not Origin.

The first time I tried it on test, after dropping the house with the resize command, when I tried to place, I got an error that I had to wait either 7 days or 7 hours, I don't recall which.

Lily of Arirang

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

BINGO! Well said.

F

Fayled Dhreams

BINGO! Well said.
Indeed ! for one half of a statement.

Because it does not work for one person one time, does not mean it's broken for everyone, there are too many variables.
(other half)

One second hand report, for one luna house, for one shard ... IS sufficient to start a blizzard of recrimination ... start a panic game wide ... or at least upon the forums.
:cool:

already known was that the houseing system can go a little quirky, stuff through floors, "placement" without confirmation, items blocking movement above ...

btw ... whatabout the plot to the west ? looks to be about a 2 story 7x 12 ... gonna INSIST that they be blocked from expansion ?
Just what are the "zoning laws" re: Luna ... I always thought they were catch as catch can ... and ... hmmm .... no mention of "Barrels" ?

wait ... ya mean The R man didn't get it? omg! did he die? get abducted? ... I think theres more going on here than is being second hand reported .... or used as yet another Bad Devs! Bad GMs, Bad Design, Bad Testing, Bad QA, Bad Origin for missing, the usual parade of ... well ... :cool: the usual assumptions ...

humph!