• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Want to create your own shard?

Dan(Tasanar)

Journeyman
Professional
UNLEASHED
To get started check out:

In my experience most people who start tinkering with creating their own shard have no prior C# experience. In fact most use ServUO/RunUO emulation as a bridge into programming.

Joining a community focused around what you are trying to accomplish will provide you with the tools you need to get started.

ServUO Source Code

Visual Studios 2019 Community Edition (free)

JaxxVain

Adventurer
So, someone like me with no coding ability could get in and create a shard with a custom map and custom ruleset?

Did I mention I don’t know how to code?

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
You could create your own shard with very little problems. As far as custom map, you can buy them premade and use them but then you would need to place all of the spawners by hand, and add all of the doors and stuff by hand as well but it is doable by someone with no coding abilities. Custom rulesets would probably be out of your league though. But, you could have an OSI clone of your own in a matter of minutes to hours depending on how easily you understand the start up instructions.

Cork

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
So, someone like me with no coding ability could get in and create a shard with a custom map and custom ruleset?

Honestly anyone with half a brain can learn to code with C#. It's not like the old days learning Assembly and C. They have made modern programming languages so easy to use. It can be a lot of fun learning.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED

Learning C# isn't bad, they are teaching it to middle school kids these days, not to mention having access to the source code for everything already helps a great deal, you can look at what and how different things "work" and use them to help you learn yourself. Custom maps would be more difficult than learning C#.

Xuri

Visitor
Just to add on to this: If C# (which ServUO uses) is not your cup of tea, there are other options available. Here are a few:
UOX3 (C++ source, embedded JS scripting engine)
POL (C++ source, custom eScript scripting engine)
Sphere (C++ source, custom scripting engine)

AdamPD

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
ServUO is brilliant, really easy to modify, even with little to no programming knowledge.

You can literally download ServUO, run the compiler, login, run the populate shard command and you have your own offline (or online) copy of UO to play with.

Combine that with the ClassicUO client and it's a great combination.

Thank you for sharing the information about ServUO and Ultima Online emulation. It seems like a great resource for individuals interested in creating their own Ultima Online server.

Tatos

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
ServUO is brilliant, really easy to modify, even with little to no programming knowledge.

You can literally download ServUO, run the compiler, login, run the populate shard command and you have your own offline (or online) copy of UO to play with.

Combine that with the ClassicUO client and it's a great combination.
Forgive me...I've been away from UO for quite a while. The last time I played was really the first iteration of Krampus...and then I dabbled a little bit thereafter and been completely absent for a while.

I've started researching a little on ServUOs site, but thought I'd ask here, too. So yes, I have no programming knowledge...but it sounds like not much is necessary.

But it also sounds like you are saying I can create a version of UO that I can just play myself offline straight from my computer? Would the spawn rates still be the same, even though you aren't "online"? Can you have a full list of characters? I caught an older video, I think, and it just showed an admin character that one could play. What about monsters and tamables, can they be boosted/nerfed, if desired? AoS clothing (I miss those things!)? What about customizable housing? :) I'm guessing probably so, if one might be a little more knowledgeable in the programming aspect of things?

Sorry...I always knew about free shards and just never did check one out...and now that I'm finally done with a world of Stronghold Kingdoms, I'm thinking about getting back into UO for a while, and came across this thread and was greatly intreagued.

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Forgive me...I've been away from UO for quite a while. The last time I played was really the first iteration of Krampus...and then I dabbled a little bit thereafter and been completely absent for a while.

I've started researching a little on ServUOs site, but thought I'd ask here, too. So yes, I have no programming knowledge...but it sounds like not much is necessary.

But it also sounds like you are saying I can create a version of UO that I can just play myself offline straight from my computer? Would the spawn rates still be the same, even though you aren't "online"? Can you have a full list of characters? I caught an older video, I think, and it just showed an admin character that one could play. What about monsters and tamables, can they be boosted/nerfed, if desired? AoS clothing (I miss those things!)? What about customizable housing? :) I'm guessing probably so, if one might be a little more knowledgeable in the programming aspect of things?

Sorry...I always knew about free shards and just never did check one out...and now that I'm finally done with a world of Stronghold Kingdoms, I'm thinking about getting back into UO for a while, and came across this thread and was greatly intreagued.
You can play on your own with one or multiple accounts and can adjust spawn and mob strength and pretty much everything. You can set up UO to fit your own ideal shard to how you think UO should feel. If starting fresh, I would highly suggest ServUO.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED

Yeah, you can do pretty much any of what you mentioned with no programming at all.